Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

synthetik posted:

Oh man, you don't have to put a frown in there - $200 is a drat good price, especially for a sealed copy. There's one in town for $150 and the sleeve has bad water damage.

I know it's relatively cheap, but I still can't help but feel a twang of guilt when I spend more than $70 or so. No regrets though :iia: I think I was kind of maybe ripped off on Moonloop, but that one is so hard to come by that it was a bit of a no-brainer. That sucks about the damaged one, I'd be spewing if that was in a shop near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Rad I love bear in heaven.

Love them. Pre-ordered the new album and got a limited to 200 copies white vinyl edition for my troubles :haw:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Love them. Pre-ordered the new album and got a limited to 200 copies white vinyl edition for my troubles :haw:

Wha cool. I have the normal one :( They're the only group I've seen twice in concert too.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

trdn89 posted:

Did you order from Insound or IDIB? I still haven't heard a word from IDIB since placing my order; all I have is my Paypal receipt. Kinda frustrating since it always seems to take them 2-3 weeks to get me stuff I order (despite the fact that I live in the city they ship from), but they're a tiny little operation so I can't complain too much.

Insound for me.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I picked up a Denon DP-23F turntable today with a Technics U25 cartridge but no stylus. What stylus/cartridge should I get?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Wha cool. I have the normal one :( They're the only group I've seen twice in concert too.

I want to see them live so bad but they skip coming anywhere near me every time :(

I would love to see that drummer at work, because goddrat :aaaaa:

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I want to see them live so bad but they skip coming anywhere near me every time :(

I would love to see that drummer at work, because goddrat :aaaaa:

I saw them in Melbourne last year with The Antlers, I didn't know who they were at the time but left very impressed. And yes, the drummer is pretty awesome to watch, mostly because Jon (the singer) couldn't do much from behind his keyboard, so he was front and centre.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Number Two Stunna posted:

I picked up a Denon DP-23F turntable today with a Technics U25 cartridge but no stylus. What stylus/cartridge should I get?

This cartridge body was very popular as an OEM unit by several manufacturers.

Here is a list of every cartridge that is the same as the U25, and the stylus it takes, which can be found many places elsewhere.

http://www.styli.co.nz/stylus-464.html

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Holy hell the Fat Possum $10 sale is awesome if you're overseas. 5 records and $17 shipping to Australia, and it took less than a week for my poo poo to get over here.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Bah I only have the normal as well and keep missing them whenever they come to Pittsburgh. Sinful Nature is song of the year for me at the moment, phenomenal record all around.

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
Found The Knife's Silent Shout and King Crimson's Discipline at the used record store the other day. I thought I would gather all the records I've found from this particular store. Year+ work.

start top left-down
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
King Crimson - Red
King Crimson - Discipline
The Knife - Silent Shout
mewithoutYou - [A-B]Life
mewithoutYou - Catch for us the Foxes
mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister
The Specials - the Specials
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Fripp & Eno - Evening Star
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
The Beatles - The Beatles

Nosferatu Man fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 30, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Schremp Howard posted:

Bah I only have the normal as well and keep missing them whenever they come to Pittsburgh. Sinful Nature is song of the year for me at the moment, phenomenal record all around.

Such a great album and Idle Heart is such a killer opener.

I love the video for Reflection Of You as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjW5rkXiQdc

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Nosferatu Man posted:

Found The Knife's Silent Shout and King Crimson's Discipline at the used record store the other day. I thought I would gather all the records I've found from this particular store. Year+ work.

start top left-down
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
King Crimson - Red
King Crimson - Discipline
The Knife - Silent Shout
mewithoutYou - [A-B]Life
mewithoutYou - Catch for us the Foxes
mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister
The Specials - the Specials
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Fripp & Eno - Evening Star
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
The Beatles - The Beatles

Those are some amazing used finds. I saw Daft Punk's Homework used at a Half Price Book Store last weekend and was about to do the happy dance until I realized it was missing the second record :cry: How the gently caress do you lose half an album?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

resident posted:

Those are some amazing used finds. I saw Daft Punk's Homework used at a Half Price Book Store last weekend and was about to do the happy dance until I realized it was missing the second record :cry: How the gently caress do you lose half an album?

This is incredibly common with second hand records.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Just picked this record from the local record store, and it is now my favorite jazz album that I own.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

I, Butthole posted:

Holy hell the Fat Possum $10 sale is awesome if you're overseas. 5 records and $17 shipping to Australia, and it took less than a week for my poo poo to get over here.

drat you for bringing this sale to my attention and drat Fat Possum for having so many amazing records that I've been wanting to pick up. I just ordered Walkmen - Heaven and Lisbon, Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation, Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde, Jay Reatard - Blood Visions, Yuck s/t, Wavves - King of the Beach, Caveman - CoCo Beware and Al Green - Greatest Hits.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

I picked up an album of Earls a few years back, Spontaneous Explorations as I was deciding between something else. Stan Kenton from memory. I made the right choice, not that there's anything wrong with Stan of course.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Just got a couple of Balmorhea records along with this piece of art:

Sounds fantastic, I'm glad these reissues aren't anywhere near as expensive as the originals because god drat those are pricey.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nomapple posted:

Thanks so much for this, it's really informative. The Carbons do look amazing. I'm going to see if I can find a licensed dealer in the UK before shelling out to order from the States, as I hate to think how much the shipping would be for that! drat.

PS: The OP should probably be updated with the fact that the Pro-Ject now has a new model.

No worries, glad to help. a quick look on the Pro-Ject website shows that Henley Designs is Pro-Ject's UK distributor of choice. The Carbon's on their online store for 300 pounds, in all colors.

That's within the range you first mentioned but it seems a bit high compared to NeedeDr.'s price- granted, that's without factoring in any shipping, which would probably skew things a bit. Maybe set up a shipment from each of them and see which comes out cheapest? It might be worth buying from Henley just for the likely much shorter ship time and less chance of transit injury.

If not, there are definitely (probably) a whole lot more dealers around in the UK.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Labor Day weekend will be a good time to do some ripping from my queue.

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (40th Anniversary)
Turbonegro - Sexual Harassment
Longmont Potion Castle - 9
The Cult - Gone

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I've gotten a few more since the last time I posted any pictures. Still on the hunt for a good turntable, so I haven't listened to any yet, but I'll have 'em when I get one. These are out of order of how I actually got them, but who cares.

Assassins finally came in. Century was a little behind in their warehouse, so it took a week or so longer than I expected. It's a double LP, so there's another fancy clear yellow vinyl in there, but I was too lazy to pull it out. Only $10 plus shipping, which is a deal!

Here's that Smile bootleg I mentioned sometime ago.

The back, which has a paragraph for each song about the recording process or whatever. Except Barnyard, which I guess only rates a sentence.

I love this album, such a beautiful work.

The inner sleeves have some nice art on them, too.

The second disc only requires about half the C side to finish the album, so the D side is decorated with birdies! You might have to click on it to get to the bigger version for a better view.

And finally, a little dose of Opiate.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Forgive me, VinylGoons- for I have sinned. I have purchased LPs at Urban Outfitters (again). In my defense, I wasn't there initially to shop for records. But then I saw that they had a Yoshimi Battles... reissue for under $24 and all bets were off (I might be wrong, but I think this reissue's an UO exclusive- I haven't seen it anywhere else). Then I noticed that they had an exclusive red version of The Reminder and I was all like, dang.

But the final nail in the coffin was that this shop had a bunch of copies of High Violet for 9 bucks because of some dirt and scuffing on the sleeve edge. It's at least twice that price before shipping everywhere else I've seen, and about 4 minutes with a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide left my copy looking perfect. My National LP collection is now complete- save for some 7"s that I may or may not try to pick up.

I figure it's worth noting that the code NEWSKOOL will give you 10% off purchases at their webstore through the end of Sept. There's a Joy Division reissue and one of Daft Punk's Discovery that I believe are also both UO exclusives and they still have a few copies left of the exclusive Blue/Pink version of M83's last album, which several other goons can attest is gorgeous.

Everything else in this picture is from real record stores.

I unashamedly love this album in all of it's girly, femmetacular glory. It's also one of those cases where I'd say that the particularities of vinyl add to it and it's just nicer/warmer/more interesting to listen to on a turntable than from files.

I picked the top one up at a yard sale along with a buttload (probably like 25) of other Deutsche Grammophon classical albums for a total of $5. The discs are all in pristine shape and sound absolutely incredible. If you have any tangental interest in classical music (and you should), I cannot stress how much you should jump on any cheap Deutsche Grammophon stuff you find. They built their reputation on their recording quality and a fair amount of classical snobs will have heaps of DG stuff in their attics-probably in perfect condition because classical snobs tend to take care of their poo poo. You could probably also get them for a song because 99.9% of anyone buying vinyl these days doesn't give two shits about classical or opera. Fun Fact: DG is also the oldest currently operating record label in existence, having been founded in 1898. The Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris (not pictured), and Minstrel Show are from Goodwill.

....wait wait....Minstrel Show?

A complete, old time minstrel show in your living room to-night! Through brilliant performances and sparkling stereophonic recording you can sit in your armchair and avoid the hard seats and drafty old town hall where grandpa got a "boot" out of the opening march and all the acts that followed. None of the great color or hilarity is missing! It's all here, the band, chorus, the banjo and bones, all the great solos and the comedy between Mr. Interlocutor and his end men. This is American entertainment at its best- circa 1890.

The minstrel show gained prominence in the US about 1840 and continued to thrive up until about 1900. The acts were known and loved by all as they performed their "blackface" comedy and song in town halls and on showboats all over the land. Every effort has been made in the production of this album to retain the authentic "feeling" of this great form of entertainment that has faded and evolved into some of our present day patterns of show presentation.

...Oh, and did I mention that this was recorded in the famous echo chambers at the Capitol Records tower? Yessiree, society in 1958 certainly had a very 'particular' view of race relations! The album's in good shape and sounds about as offensive as you'd imagine.

On a less critical note, this record's an example of what I love about this hobby. This is a volume of cultural history- in more ways than one- for better or worse.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 1, 2012

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There's no shame in Urban Outfitters clearance records. I got Liquid Swords for $10! Same for the newest Of Montreal. Not crazy about the album but the seafoam green color is amazing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

There's no shame in Urban Outfitters clearance records. I got Liquid Swords for $10! Same for the newest Of Montreal. Not crazy about the album but the seafoam green color is amazing.

Yes, but some of these weren't clearance. :ohdear:

The store I was at also had the $35 Wish You Were Here reissue (which I'll admit, is a nice package), the $30 Kind of Blue reissue, the $30 Graceland reissue, and that Rumours reissue that was like $45 during RSD a while back.

The first three I'm ok with- but the last one just made me feel shame by proxy. If you're spending more than $6 on a good copy of loving Rumours, then I can't have anything but contempt for you. I mean, every attic in the Western Hemisphere has to have at least one lying around.

I think that should be the secret entry bar for record collecting: Can you obtain a decent used copy of Rumours without spending more than whatever pocket change you have? If you can't, then an invisible hand comes through your window and takes your turntable away and you are forced to resign yourself to stamps.

EDIT: I'm going to be in Miami for a few days with some time to kill. Are there any places worth checking out?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 1, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:words:

What Joy Division reissue are they selling?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

What Joy Division reissue are they selling?

Unknown Pleasures, what else would it be?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Unknown Pleasures, what else would it be?

Closer or Still. I already have the main three albums on vinyl, but I asked because I've been holding out hope that they'd reissue Substance or An Ideal For Living. Plus there's a bunch of live records and Peel Session stuff that's been reissued.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you have any tangental interest in classical music (and you should), I cannot stress how much you should jump on any cheap Deutsche Grammophon stuff you find. They built their reputation on their recording quality and a fair amount of classical snobs will have heaps of DG stuff in their attics-probably in perfect condition because classical snobs tend to take care of their poo poo. You could probably also get them for a song because 99.9% of anyone buying vinyl these days doesn't give two shits about classical or opera. Fun Fact: DG is also the oldest currently operating record label in existence, having been founded in 1898.

This guy knows his poo poo.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Picked this up yesterday for $20.

A little pricey for a 12" single, but it's my all time favorite track so I did it anyway.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Cheesus posted:

I tried explaining (what little I know of) LPC to a few coworkers the other day and failed miserably.

Also, I don't fully intend to sound the broke-rear end self-promoter I'm being right now, but I've got a few decent records up on eBay, including a sealed copy of that Nachtmystium from a few posts ago, Baroness, White Stripes, Sleep, etc.

theradiostillsucks fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 1, 2012

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Picked this up yesterday for $20.

A little pricey for a 12" single, but it's my all time favorite track so I did it anyway.

I have a copy of the green cover version that I think was $12, though the cover isn't in nearly as nice condition.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Closer or Still.

Nah bro, this is Urban Outfitters we're talking about.

Ron Burgundy posted:

This guy knows his poo poo.

I know people who will buy up any LP with a Deutsche Grammophon label, regardless of whether they actually know what's on it, just on the expectation that it will sound fantastic. One of the records I got is of a German poetry recital. I'm sure the poetry's lovely (actually, it is- if the translations in the liner notes are anything to go by), but since I can't understand a word of it, all I hear is a very high fidelity recording of a gentle man's voice babbling on for an hour in German. It's rather soothing- despite the fact that the poems themselves are actually pretty grim.

DG really built its rep for hi-fi in the late '60s. At the time, the other two major classical labels (owned by Columbia and RCA) were seeing diminishing returns in relation to their parent companies' more popular fare. As a result, their budgets were slashed and they had to make due with every cost-cutting measure imaginable: poor studio selection, quickie recording/mixing with cheap gear, b-team sound engineers, low priority treatment of the artists, cheap thin vinyl, etc.

On the other hand, DG had sort of the opposite scenario- they owned pop-label Polydor (and were themselves owned by Siemens and Philips), but their bread and butter was classical. Aside from throwing their financial thrust behind classical, they cultivated relationships with the best musicians, conductors, and composers and drew names like Fiedler, Bernstein, and Berman. They treated artists like the A-level talent they were, granting them creative control and the financial support to back it up. If Arthur Fiedler wanted to record the Boston Pops with 90 microphones in a sonically tuned cave, then by God, Arthur Fiedler was going to get his microphone cave.

I'd argue that DG's biggest strength was- and is- its roster and back-catalog. Classical recordings and performances are a dime a dozen, just visit any university music department. DG made recordings of arguably the best musicians, conductors, and composers of the 20th Century and made sure that they had everything they needed to sound at the top of their game.

This attention to their artists also made them pretty progressive for a record company. At the behest of some performers they were one of the first labels to install a digital recording and mastering setup (in the late '70s, no less) and were early pushers of the CD format. In fact, graybeards with ailments are having arguments on Audiokarma right now over whether DG's digital experiments were 'good' or not.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Cheesus posted:

Labor Day weekend will be a good time to do some ripping from my queue.

You are a god. Are all of them in vinyl?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nah bro, this is Urban Outfitters we're talking about.

I know people who will buy up any LP with a Deutsche Grammophon label, regardless of whether they actually know what's on it, just on the expectation that it will sound fantastic.

Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo (The ones with the inward facing speakers) are two other series I will buy content unknown.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 2, 2012

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

LtTennisBall posted:

I have a copy of the green cover version that I think was $12, though the cover isn't in nearly as nice condition.

Yeah , this one is immaculate.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

knox posted:

You are a god. Are all of them in vinyl?
As far as I can tell, this is the first.

http://www.noisetent.com/DUCat.html

$40 is a bit pricey, especially for a comedy album, but I have no problem supporting LPC's brilliance.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo (The ones with the inward facing speakers) are two other series I will buy content unknown.

Yeah, those really do sound amazing. And if the music doesn't move you, you may find that well-heeled audiophiles out there will pay you a pretty penny for them (or for some of them, anyway, not all. And obviously, audiophiles tend to be condition freaks, so there's that to factor in). It is absolutely worth it to memorize the cover design formats of those, because they do sometimes turn up for dirt cheap at thrift stores and the like. I think this is because unlike, say, Beatles records, the average vinyl scavenger may not be aware of their significance.

Also, here's a general tip that I'll share (and I have no affiliation with the following site/app, by the way): If you don't have it, I would recommend the CeeFrenzy app to everyone with an iPhone. It displays eBay prices of records going back several years, and while it costs a few bucks, I've paid mine off about 200x over by finding weird/rare/expensive stuff that I wouldn't have otherwise known about. It's also good for discovering plain old nice-to-listen-to stuff; while $$$ value is not necessarily tied to musical quality, there is something of a link, so it can help confirm/deny your gut feelings. And if you don't have an iPhone, I'd at least keep the Collectors Frenzy (or Popsike) site open on the mobile browser. Indispensable. (Another fun activity is to search for keywords associated with particular genres (e.g., psych, random rap, minimal synth, etc.), sort them by price, and then seek out the songs on YouTube or whatever. It's interesting--if sometimes facepalm-inducing--to hear what a $10,000 Northern soul record sounds like.)

Also, too, I finally completed the Trinity (due largely to dumb luck; it wasn't really a deliberate thing). Mono > stereo when it comes to this record, I've now found; I think there's a mono reissue floating around out there, so it's probably worth acquiring if you like VU.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 2, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
That's cooool, I did not know there was a popsike ish app for the iphone.

With the VU, is that the Emerson back, the sticker and the airbrush?

Also McIntosh :allears:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

izationalizer posted:

Also, too, I finally completed the Trinity (due largely to dumb luck; it wasn't really a deliberate thing). Mono > stereo when it comes to this record, I've now found; I think there's a mono reissue floating around out there, so it's probably worth acquiring if you like VU.

Sundazed is releasing a boxset soon that's going to feature 5 LPs.

Velvet Underground & Nico in Mono
White Light/White Heat in Mono
Nico - Chelsea Girl in Mono
Velvet Underground in Mono (I'm not sure how to explain it - it's apparently not just a straight fold-down of the stereo mix, since apparently it was messed with for optimal sound)
and 1969 - Stereo, which is comprised of stuff they recorded for their fourth MGM album that obviously never got released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Sundazed is releasing a boxset soon that's going to feature 5 LPs.

Velvet Underground & Nico in Mono
White Light/White Heat in Mono
Nico - Chelsea Girl in Mono
Velvet Underground in Mono (I'm not sure how to explain it - it's apparently not just a straight fold-down of the stereo mix, since apparently it was messed with for optimal sound)
and 1969 - Stereo, which is comprised of stuff they recorded for their fourth MGM album that obviously never got released.

How am I just hearing of this now? I'm buying the poo poo out of that. Sundazed is probably my favorite reissue label.