Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
So apparently the Evo 3D ICS source has been released. Here's hoping for a decently stable CM10 port...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

God Damnit, Sprint.

I've been using the WiFi at work to get adjusted for when I quit this carrier, but there still is not an acceptable alternative in this market. ATT is pure poo poo and T-Mo is not operating here, and gently caress Verizon they will never have my business.

Its pretty sad to think the only reason I haven't just roamed my way out of my contract is that the alternatives simply are so unpalatable that I would rather stay on "we'll get around to it" Sprint.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Duckman2008 posted:

Thank you for your pity. Very much appreciated.

I thought we all looked like the handsome Elijah DonMartin

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Matlock posted:

I am a handsome devil and I refuse to hear a word otherwise.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

brc64 posted:

So apparently the Evo 3D ICS source has been released. Here's hoping for a decently stable CM10 port...

This is amazingly good news. I didn't think anyone cared about that phone anymore.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

FlyingCheese posted:

This is amazingly good news. I didn't think anyone cared about that phone anymore.

Well, I guess it would be a CM9 port, but still... I'd take it!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

brc64 posted:

Well, I guess it would be a CM9 port, but still... I'd take it!

Considering its chances of it getting JB at all, I'd take it too.

Hopefully the next Nexus comes out by the time my contact is up next year. And that Sprint carries it...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlyingCheese posted:

Considering its chances of it getting JB at all, I'd take it too.

Hopefully the next Nexus comes out by the time my contact is up next year. And that Sprint carries it...

If Sprint even carries it, it'll still have slow data and be months behind the GSM models on getting updates. But hey it's a Nexus, right? :mad::fh:

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Matlock posted:

I like how they're just making up nonsense surnames now, too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

If Sprint even carries it, it'll still have slow data and be months behind the GSM models on getting updates. But hey it's a Nexus, right? :mad::fh:

I will probably still be on Sprint next year because of the same reasons you said.

I'll also probably nab the new Nexus if Sprint carries it. If it had the SMR-band support that ExcessBlarg! talked about in the Android Phone thread (starting here), that'd be even more neat.

I'd get a Galaxy Nexus in March 2013, but I don't think I could sit with that for two years. It'd be like another Nexus S probably halfway through the year...

Apparently, the LG Optimus G has the first Quadcore Qualcomm processor so maybe the new Nexus will have one...or something? Who knows.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

The Entire Universe posted:

Oddly enough in my experience I haven't had much issue with speed in my area. Having relatively unused WiMax access helps a lot too (rooted tethering on WiMax beats my home cable internet by quite a bit). As for the difference between GSM and CDMA versions, I'm hoping that may be fixed by the time the next one comes out and if not hey my contract is up so I can go somewhere else (not like the other carriers are much better than Sprint anyway). All my friends on ATT/Verizon whine about slow speeds too.

It's not so much an issue that Sprint sucks, it's more that they ALL suck.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
I guess I can't really complain because I get 4G speeds for the most part here in San Antonio. That with SERO is not a bad deal.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
When the new iPhone comes out, will it be possible for me to order online, and switch from AT&T to get added to my mother's Sprint Family Plan, assuming I have her login information? Or is it something I should just wait to do in person with her (she lives a couple of states away)?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yeah, you can log onto Sprint.com with her information and see how there are options to add another line to an account.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Voodoo posted:

When the new iPhone comes out, will it be possible for me to order online, and switch from AT&T to get added to my mother's Sprint Family Plan, assuming I have her login information? Or is it something I should just wait to do in person with her (she lives a couple of states away)?

You should be fine for this.

Hey, fyi to anyone looking to sign up on Sprint: If you have the credit union discount and port a new number over, you can get a $100 port credit. Smartphones only,but it does include the iPhone. Any questions on normal accounts feel free to PM me. I'm not sure of EPRP can have the credit union code attached, so questions on that I would recommend calling the EPRP number from the OP. This promo goes till end of December supposedly.

Other promo is simple: sign up on a new 3+ line family plan (need at least one number to be a port) and get up to $400 off smartphones. Instant in store discount. So 3 iphones would normally be $450 total, under this promo would be $50 total. Promo ends September 15th (you can do the reasoning as to why).

I think online is still doing the $100 rebate with new lines, but that isn't my department so I couldn't tell you for sure.

All promos are non combinable, at least in theory.

Feel free as always to message or email me with questions.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Duckman, just curious... can I add an EPRP line to my SERO account?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krime posted:

Duckman, just curious... can I add an EPRP line to my SERO account?

I think so. I unfortunately am not authorized to work with those two types of accounts, so I cannot speak from experience. I would recommend calling the EPRP/employee line from the OP to confirm.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You can totally add an EPRP line to a SERO account, no problem.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Sometimes I'm glad to live in Atlanta.

Dat upload speed.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

-Inu- posted:

Sometimes I'm glad to live in Atlanta.

Dat upload speed.

I've got a friend in Dallas who just got an LTE phone on AT&T. While we were hanging out the other night, he pulled out a speedtest. 46 Mbit up and down.

With a result like that, I have to suspect it was a misread, but compared to my blazing 4 Mbit on Wimax, I was a bit :smith:

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
edit: misread

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

brc64 posted:

With a result like that, I have to suspect it was a misread, but compared to my blazing 4 Mbit on Wimax, I was a bit :smith:

I've gotten close to that before on Verizon LTE. It is not a misread.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Well, I'm a loving dumbass and I drank the NV kool-ade. Now I'm stuck on a 3g contract until Raleigh NC gets LTE, so basically the duration of my contract.

Is it true that you can get out of your contract ETF free by flashing a Verizon PRL and using data? I have two lines on my plan, do they both have to do that? Does it matter if I got my phones/plan through Amazon?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Gilok posted:

Well, I'm a loving dumbass and I drank the NV kool-ade. Now I'm stuck on a 3g contract until Raleigh NC gets LTE, so basically the duration of my contract.

Is it true that you can get out of your contract ETF free by flashing a Verizon PRL and using data? I have two lines on my plan, do they both have to do that? Does it matter if I got my phones/plan through Amazon?

Yes, yes, no.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Literally $0 and they just kick you off? Are there any negatives to doing this such as being flagged in their system if you ever want to come back?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who still is unfortunate enough to have a evo shift, they are actually releasing a software update that keeps in on 2.3, but reverts it back to the style of 2.2 (takes away the heavy sense graphics).

Little bit late on that one...

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
How does roaming work with Sprint? I've been spending some time in an area that has no coverage except for Verizon, and the phone (Evo 3D with Mean ROM) won't roam - it just shows zero bars/no data. I have all the roaming settings set to allow roaming. My friends with Verizon have full bars.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

blargle posted:

How does roaming work with Sprint?
CDMA devices have a Preferred Roaming List (PRL) which specifies which cellular systtems (networks) the device is allowed to connect to, and the order it which it can connect to them.

blargle posted:

I've been spending some time in an area that has no coverage except for Verizon, and the phone (Evo 3D with Mean ROM) won't roam - it just shows zero bars/no data.
That's messed up. When you're in service again try updating your PRL.

It's possible that the radio mode is fouled up and defaulting to "Sprint only", but that would be a surprise on a stock-based ROM, especially since you checked all the roaming settings.

There's two other cases that could apply depending on your locale. The first is that there is no Verizon service there, rather you're in a Verizon affiliate market that shows up as native coverage for your buddies, but with whom Sprint doesn't have a roaming agreement. I don't know if any such markets exist.

The other is that you're in a market where Sprint has a roaming agreement with another carrier (e.g., USCC) and specifically not Verizon (I don't know if it's a nationwide agreement or only in markets that other CDMA carriers don't provide coverage), and you're in a dead zone for that other carrier, and the PRL forbids you from roaming on Verizon.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
Are there any android phones coming out in the next few months? Not sure if I should use my upgrade or wait.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Cock Democracy posted:

Are there any android phones coming out in the next few months? Not sure if I should use my upgrade or wait.

No idea if they're coming to Sprint (or will be any good), but I'm currently saving my upgrade for the next round of Nexus phone(s?), which should be released for GSM in November and for Sprint anywhere from November to the end of time.

Apart from that, most flagship android phones that I know of are released in the early summer.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Updated my PRL, will give it a shot next time.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Cock Democracy posted:

Android phones come out every week, just buy whatever fits your needs the best.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cock Democracy posted:

The One X and Galaxy S 3 are the two big Sprint Android phones of the year. The Photon Q is the biggest deal in slider-land, but not worth it unless you want that hardware keyboard.

The only Android device to consider waiting for is the next Nexus. But no Nexuses have been announced, there's nary a credible rumor (other than there might be more than one), and Sprint traditionally has gotten Nexus refreshes in the Spring anyways.

There's the iPhone 5 however.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there some kind of problem with the Nexus S 4G not getting MMS or something?

I called Sprint about this yesterday using the EPRP line, they had me reset the Sprint account on my phone, update PRL, and updated the Profile twice (once from Sprint and once the rep had me do it to make 100% sure). Apparently, there's no outages or anything either. I have full to 3 bars of signal most days so I don't think it's that.

Now it's back to messing up all over again (unable to send or receive MMS) and I'm not too sure what else I can do.

The representative was about to send me to tech support but she didn't sound like she wanted me to go there and seemed to be doing everything she could to NOT go that route.

Another question, what would / could Sprint tech support do anyway in this case and why would someone who works for Sprint be so against sending me there?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is there some kind of problem with the Nexus S 4G not getting MMS or something?

I called Sprint about this yesterday using the EPRP line, they had me reset the Sprint account on my phone, update PRL, and updated the Profile twice (once from Sprint and once the rep had me do it to make 100% sure). Apparently, there's no outages or anything either. I have full to 3 bars of signal most days so I don't think it's that.

Now it's back to messing up all over again (unable to send or receive MMS) and I'm not too sure what else I can do.

The representative was about to send me to tech support but she didn't sound like she wanted me to go there and seemed to be doing everything she could to NOT go that route.

Another question, what would / could Sprint tech support do anyway in this case and why would someone who works for Sprint be so against sending me there?

I don't work phone sales, but they have a basic goal of solving issues without transferring, so very likely trying to avoid having to transfer.

Yeah, take it into a store or just do a RTN reset. I personally would RTN reset while having sprint tech support do a refresh on their end.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't work phone sales, but they have a basic goal of solving issues without transferring, so very likely trying to avoid having to transfer.

Yeah, take it into a store or just do a RTN reset. I personally would RTN reset while having sprint tech support do a refresh on their end.

After checking around, it looks like RTN reset is ##RTN#, is this correct? I'm also seeing a full on hard reset (which I assume is the factory reset in the OS itself).

I'll probably do this tomorrow and call up tech support as well. Should I just ask them to refresh my account due to MMS issues or is there another refresh they can do?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

After checking around, it looks like RTN reset is ##RTN#, is this correct? I'm also seeing a full on hard reset (which I assume is the factory reset in the OS itself).

I'll probably do this tomorrow and call up tech support as well. Should I just ask them to refresh my account due to MMS issues or is there another refresh they can do?

Far as I know just a refresh.

RTN does wipe the phone. Fyi the code is slightly different for the Nexus, not sure why.

*#*#72786#*#*
You will need your MSL.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Far as I know just a refresh.

RTN does wipe the phone. Fyi the code is slightly different for the Nexus, not sure why.

*#*#72786#*#*
You will need your MSL.

Alright, I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let ya know how it turned out.

Thanks!

e: Actually that sounds like something I had to do yesterday but I can't remember the exact sequence of numbers. I'll still give it a try though tomorrow.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 1, 2012

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have a SERO Premium 500 plan and my upgrade is due just in time as my original EVO is starting to poo poo out on me. When I filter the list to only show phones that I can use on my plan it has every lovely phone Sprint offers plus the various iPhones and the Galaxy S2 only. All of the other good phones say I need to change my plan to use them. Anyone have any ideas on why? Back when they updated SERO plans to use smartphones I made sure my account was all in order over the phone and haven't touched it since except to pay bills so I don't know what to expect here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Dameius posted:

I have a SERO Premium 500 plan and my upgrade is due just in time as my original EVO is starting to poo poo out on me. When I filter the list to only show phones that I can use on my plan it has every lovely phone Sprint offers plus the various iPhones and the Galaxy S2 only. All of the other good phones say I need to change my plan to use them. Anyone have any ideas on why? Back when they updated SERO plans to use smartphones I made sure my account was all in order over the phone and haven't touched it since except to pay bills so I don't know what to expect here.
You have to call Employee Care. They have to do some voodoo on their end because WiMAX and LTE have different SERO Premium plan codes.

You can still order whatever you want, but you'll need to call Employee Care to activate an LTE phone on your line.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 1, 2012