Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
About the iQ on the freeway, here's Motor Trend:

quote:

For simple, around-town commuting, this kind of power is adequate, but driving the iQ anyplace other than a surface street is an adventure all its own. On the freeway, the iQ can't get out of its own way; a manual transmission would help, but not much. The short wheelbase and narrow track make the iQ wander on grooved freeways. And not if, but when you get passed on the highway by a semi, hang on to the wheel, because the amount of movement you get from the windstream will do more than just get your attention.
I've seen other reviews that seem ok so I guess it just varies a bunch like relative speeds and shape of semi, or just getting surprised the first time. As for speed, 10.8 to 60 and a poor CVT (going by another review I saw) probably doesn't help the experience.

I thought they came off fine otherwise before they got into the off road segment, looked like they were having fun tossing them about. Felt like there should have been one more test, like Stig in whatever larger car (a Mini? :haw:) around a track and comparing times to what they could get in theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CornHolio posted:

Those cars (with the exception of the smart car, I suppose) are all perfectly fine on the highway.

They're ok, but they're also on the low end of what a buyer would be comfortable with. The aspersions about noise and floatiness are grounded in reality.

I hope non-Americans watching this don't get the wrong ideas about those Cajuns and do get the right ideas about how delicious crawdads are.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

They're ok, but they're also on the low end of what a buyer would be comfortable with. The aspersions about noise and floatiness are grounded in reality.
I call it nonsense, almost as if they say it out of habit when reviewing a small car. Half of Europe does fine on the motorways in small cars without complaining.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pilsner posted:

I call it nonsense, almost as if they say it out of habit when reviewing a small car. Half of Europe does fine on the motorways in small cars without complaining.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean Americans aren't used to something different. I found the 500 much more stable at speed than a Yaris, but both are more darty than a bigger car.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

kimbo305 posted:

I hope non-Americans watching this don't get the wrong ideas about those Cajuns and do get the right ideas about how delicious crawdads are.

How such backwards swamp-dwellers can make such good food is one of the biggest mysteries of the universe.

Pilsner posted:

It's partly that, but there's some truth to it. A shorter wheelbase is less stable at speed, and a lighter car winds up with a more direct steering feel. To someone who is used to driving a land barge with no steering feel the change can be disconcerting.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Think of the last Suzuki Swift/Aveo.

Those were absolute pieces of poo poo cars. Same characteristics of gutless and shockingly poo poo on the highway.

In winter, I was having the rear end end step out when going under overpasses on the highway. The wind would hit the side of the car and it would start dancing in an rear end pucker moment.

The Miata was a way better winter car.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

oxbrain posted:

How such backwards swamp-dwellers can make such good food is one of the biggest mysteries of the universe.

The same general idea as soul food: When you're dirt poor and stuck with the scraps nobody else wants, you tend to get pretty loving creative.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Ok, I liked this episode a lot more. Fantastic cars. Wish there were more challenges though.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I only caught the last 20 minutes or so starting from a commercial break, but somehow I knew as soon as I saw the cars that Rutledge chose the SVX.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I really miss TGUK :(

I even miss the bad episodes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tangentially related, Velocity (Discovery's uh, car channel?) is getting Fifth Gear in October.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Now that I'm not on my phone, I can elaborate. Anybody that hasn't seen Top Gear US, or that watched some bad episodes in the past and swore it off, should watch that episode. It really was top notch.

The best part was when Rutledge, even though it was costing him victory, outbid another buyer so he could own Faust's Merkur. Because Rutledge paid $600 for it, Faust's car sold for more than his did and secured the win. I gotta say, I would have done the same thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Now that I'm not on my phone, I can elaborate. Anybody that hasn't seen Top Gear US, or that watched some bad episodes in the past and swore it off, should watch that episode. It really was top notch.

The best part was when Rutledge, even though it was costing him victory, outbid another buyer so he could own Faust's Merkur. Because Rutledge paid $600 for it, Faust's car sold for more than his did and secured the win. I gotta say, I would have done the same thing.
Guess I'll use the spoiler tag too. To be fair Tanner was going to win no matter what barring a miracle cause the challenge (iirc) was to get as close to the original price as possible. The Merkur was like $16k vs $35k and $60k (:stare:) for the others, he could've given it away for free and still technically won.

Also :laugh: when Tanner found out he was pronouncing Merkur wrong the whole time.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Brilliant episode. Its like Top Gear UK with all the fat trimmed off. Should be called TopGearSuperleggera

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

Brilliant episode. Its like Top Gear UK with all the fat trimmed off. Should be called TopGearSuperleggera

Yeah I really like not having a news segment just because I read car blogs every day so it's all old news anyway, and it really dates episodes of top gear uk when you watch an episode and they're telling you that next year there's going to be some amazing new car that came out 8 years ago. The only problem is that there are often a lot of funny interactions between the guys in those segments. But since that's much less of an issue for the US Top Gear, I'm glad they seem to be leaving it out.

Edit: I was at the DC Improv recently and saw Adam Ferrara was coming soon. Hadn't heard any of his stand-up in ages so I just looked up some clips on youtube. Ugh.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 29, 2012

punkr0csux
May 1, 2008

davebo posted:

Adam Ferrara

At least he's not Adam Corrolla.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or, lord help us, Adam Zastava.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

davebo posted:

Yeah I really like not having a news segment just because I read car blogs every day so it's all old news anyway, and it really dates episodes of top gear uk when you watch an episode and they're telling you that next year there's going to be some amazing new car that came out 8 years ago. The only problem is that there are often a lot of funny interactions between the guys in those segments. But since that's much less of an issue for the US Top Gear, I'm glad they seem to be leaving it out.

The reason for the news in the UK show is because it's ostensibly a journalism program.

The real reason for the news in the UK show is because it's funny.

Our guys aren't as good at funny, and they don't have James May, so really I'm not interested. Now only if they could drop SIARPC.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I just want more shots of the hosts talking about the cars while actually driving. It makes the UK version feel nice and personal; as if they were confiding in me. Like I was their television friend. :colbert:

Also the beeb also seems a little better at story telling.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't really like that they did the double decker race. That type of race is usually used for cross top gear races.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I felt bad for that SVX. I just wanted to give it a big hug after it's..uhh..rain challenge. :glomp:

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I've gotta say they seem to have found their stride for TGUS, if these first three episodes are an indication of where they're going. No SIARPC, No studio segments, just the hosts poking at each other* and doing stupid stuff in cars. I like it, but if you'd told me about this format without having watched the earlier seasons I'd have said it would never work.

I've assumed the crossover episode would be inevitable, but maybe it's better if it doesn't happen for a while. Did D-Motor and/or TGAUS show their version of the crossover episodes ever, or were they just on TGUK? I'd love to see both sides of the challenges.

*"Oh look, Adam bought a Cadillac."

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
For some reason it seems like the UK shows are longer, even with me fast forwarding through the SIARPC segments.

Like, I feel like TGUK could have done these challenges, done a speed lap, done the news, and reviewed a supercar all in the same amount of time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ZippySLC posted:

For some reason it seems like the UK shows are longer, even with me fast forwarding through the SIARPC segments.

Like, I feel like TGUK could have done these challenges, done a speed lap, done the news, and reviewed a supercar all in the same amount of time.

US is only 40 minutes or so, and half of that time is spent retelling you what you just watched, or telling you what you're going to watch.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tricky Ed posted:

Did D-Motor and/or TGAUS show their version of the crossover episodes ever, or were they just on TGUK? I'd love to see both sides of the challenges.
Not sure about TGAUS but D Motor did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6UPSdiYnDI

FogHelmut posted:

US is only 40 minutes or so, and half of that time is spent retelling you what you just watched, or telling you what you're going to watch.
Yeah the US has less time still and has to deal with however many commercial breaks interrupting everything.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

TGUK vs TGAUS was Season 16, Episode 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b94mPaCd1B8

e: Ungh, miss-read the post. I don't think they did.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 30, 2012

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

SouthLAnd posted:

I felt bad for that SVX. I just wanted to give it a big hug after it's..uhh..rain challenge. :glomp:

It was crying. LOL

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

japtor posted:

Not sure about TGAUS but D Motor did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6UPSdiYnDI

This is absolutely hilarious because it's exactly how I had imagined their perspective would be like: cold, calculating, and unamused by the Spitfire entrance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't look it up because I'm on a crappy work computer, but there's a video on Youtube somewhere of the Australian version of the crossover.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

I can't look it up because I'm on a crappy work computer, but there's a video on Youtube somewhere of the Australian version of the crossover.

Yeah it looks something like this.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Tricky Ed posted:

Did D-Motor and/or TGAUS show their version of the crossover episodes ever, or were they just on TGUK? I'd love to see both sides of the challenges.
IIRC Top Gear Australia did, they called it "From the Ashes" or something because it was used to revive the show. I believe it was the exact same as the UK episode, maybe edited for time?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I watched it at one point. It was mostly the same, but it was from the Australian perspective. They had their own film crew out there. It was basically the crossover challenges they did, and then they went through a drive through zoo in Peel P50s and a couple other things I think.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
This season of TGUS has been great so far, but I want more Stig power laps.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

FogHelmut posted:

Well, I meant as it was originally edited.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nmfree posted:

IIRC Top Gear Australia did, they called it "From the Ashes" or something because it was used to revive the show. I believe it was the exact same as the UK episode, maybe edited for time?

It was the Ashes Special, and it's a reference to a long-running cricket series between England and Australia.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jeremy is trying to drum up support for TGUS on facebook and the comments are almost as bad as youtube. poo poo like "Take it off the air, it's not as good TGUK." "Might as well cancel it, they can never top UK." Yes, because there can only be one top gear at a time.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Jeremy is trying to drum up support for TGUS on facebook and the comments are almost as bad as youtube. poo poo like "Take it off the air, it's not as good TGUK." "Might as well cancel it, they can never top UK." Yes, because there can only be one top gear at a time.

If you're talking about the page I think you're talking about it's some dumb fan page

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I just marathoned 2-16 and then 17 just showed up on Netflix. I've seen at least half of them though. I haven't gotten around to watching the US version yet though. Might have to give it a go after I finish this lot.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

SpannerX posted:

I just marathoned 2-16 and then 17 just showed up on Netflix. I've seen at least half of them though. I haven't gotten around to watching the US version yet though. Might have to give it a go after I finish this lot.

When you do, let me know if it's worthwhile. I've been rewatching the UK ones, because after the first handful of US ones, I'd rather watch cats sneezing on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just start with the second season of TGUS. The only good thing to come out of the first season was Alaska special.