Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Edit: Some guy is offering me money in PMs for more videos from the official forums.

Zwill, you could just ask, no need to go tossing money around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Zwill, you could just ask, no need to go tossing money around.

Video has gone from 130 downloads last night to 386 today.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

You're probably all over every gay streaming site on the web by now. Livin' the dream!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Guess you hit a stroke of good luck with that one, huh.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

minimalist posted:

what fun is a goon-only server, who would we make fun of?

What's the picture from?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Guess you hit a stroke of good luck with that one, huh.

I hope he doesn't let this go to his head, Tommy better get a grip on this

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Pez posted:

I hope he doesn't let this go to his head, Tommy better get a grip on this

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be able to squeeze by without it pulling at him too hard.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Bloodly posted:

What's the picture from?

The "reveal yourself now the game is shutting down" thread on the COH boards.
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=295862&page=9

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be able to squeeze by without it pulling at him too hard.

As long as he doesn't become a huge jerk and make a big mess of things. I get all choked up just thinking about it

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
On one hand, there's still plenty I want to do in game before it ends, on the other hand, I'm so exhausted from the grief that I can't being myself to actually play. Hopefully my girlfriend can enjoy her new Dominator for a little while

I really, really hope there's a private server or CoH2 down the line.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

Hopefully my girlfriend can enjoy her new Dominator for a little while

This could end up very good for you IRL. And I may or may not have told her "grats on your new fetish!" last night referencing you cock slapping.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I was behind her at the time hitting her with my dick. :v: I think the exact wording you used was a little different. We really need to find a new IRC Client with dressup dolls game we can all play together, I think I honestly will miss goonchat more then playing. And I loving love this game.

You know what gently caress It. I'm going to Virtue Verse and adding every. Single. Goon. We were a part of this game, and it's world, and if JOSH the superhomo and the million big titty dick girls get to stay alive on some RP Website, I'll be DAMNED if they aren't joined by Mighty Thunk, Big Metal Unit and MEESE. We will never go away.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 1, 2012

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

I was behind her at the time hitting her with my dick. :v: I think the exact wording you used was a little different. We really need to find a new IRC Client with dressup dolls game we can all play together, I think I honestly will miss goonchat more then playing. And I loving love this game.

Seriously. There were way to many times I would log on with some objective to find myself idling around DA or some other spot just chatting with you deviants until I had to go to sleep.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Pez posted:

As long as he doesn't become a huge jerk and make a big mess of things. I get all choked up just thinking about it

Me too. Such a boner, posting that in that first place.

Cuchulain posted:

I really, really hope there's a private server or CoH2 down the line.

I wouldn't get too crazy over it, mostly since it depends on what actually did it. Should hear from BABs by next week about the maybe licensing issue, or eventually about whatever's going on with NC's stock nonsense. If they continue to hold onto the IP, an actual CoH2 won't ever happen. A spiritual successor is always possible though, but a new publisher would have to pick up near the entirety of the Paragon team to make that happen in a meaningful way, which seems a bit unlikely.

There've been some decent efforts to keep things in decent shape, and I know Tony (the titan network dude) is seriously considering picking up and doing a private/public/reincarnation server on his own accord and through donations/kickstarter. He sounds real ambitious about the whole thing, but I know he's a few good steps above "idea guy" tier, so hopefully something will come of it in some capacity.

Failing whatever Tony has in mind, there are some way indie-er efforts at trying to get ye olde issue 3 client working.

I believe there was one other group trying to get the issue 0 client going, but I don't have a link to them handy.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Mind Over Matter you wanted to talk to me and you don't have PMs. BUY PMs.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I'm not sure I could go back to the Issue 3 client, there's been so many advances since then it's not the same game

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
At the very least I hope we get a working offline character creator.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

There've been some decent efforts to keep things in decent shape, and I know Tony (the titan network dude) is seriously considering picking up and doing a private/public/reincarnation server on his own accord and through donations/kickstarter. He sounds real ambitious about the whole thing, but I know he's a few good steps above "idea guy" tier, so hopefully something will come of it in some capacity.

I kind of hope for his sake he's capable of doing this. For all this, I think the Titan Network guys are the players hit second-hardest by the game ending; they've put so much work into this, it'll almost be wasted if the game completely shuts.

The only guys that have it worse than them are the CoX Forum Superstars - Golden Girl and Arcanaville specifically. I don't know if they do anything outside of this game. The Titan Network guys at least clearly have the expertise to work in web or software design if they don't already, and can use their work with CoX in a portfolio. If the game completely dies, what's Arcana got to show for it? Encyclopedic knowledge of the mechanics of a completely dead game?

EDIT: Get me a working offline character creator, with everything we have now, and I'll go in peace.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

minimalist posted:

Absolutely no idea, but they did say the mood in the office wasn't bitter so I'm assuming there was something to soften the blow.

It's a bit heartwarming really, they said they were even celebratory -- they were overall proud of what they'd done. As they should be.

I can get behind this. It's a lovely way to go out, but I'd say the game's been a success to last this long and still be this good. I don't think the time I've put into this game was wasted.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Right around the time that the Korean launch was happening, there was a client that ran the costume creator and saved outfits without needing to be online. Someone go find the City of Hero Costume Creator and rig it to work with i23+ pieces.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

00Kevin posted:

I can get behind this. It's a lovely way to go out, but I'd say the game's been a success to last this long and still be this good. I don't think the time I've put into this game was wasted.

I'll never think of it as time wasted, if anything I'm depressed at the fact that soon I'll never be able to log in and see some of my most intricate creations. Even with all the silly puns and gimmicks I made, a handful of my characters feel akin to things I've drawn, things I've written, things I've built. In fact I've never put hundreds of hours into one story or drawing but I have multiple characters sitting at over 500 hours. Where else can I create and play a giant robot with a squishy human sidekick? Or a former nazi who thinks he is a robot from space after being bashed on the head? Or a proud alien warrior who accidentally merged with A Special Boy? :smith:

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is the worst news. To top it off I can't even be VIP for the last bit of time the servers are alive, the store is shut off completely.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I kind of hope for his sake he's capable of doing this. For all this, I think the Titan Network guys are the players hit second-hardest by the game ending; they've put so much work into this, it'll almost be wasted if the game completely shuts.

The only guys that have it worse than them are the CoX Forum Superstars - Golden Girl and Arcanaville specifically. I don't know if they do anything outside of this game. The Titan Network guys at least clearly have the expertise to work in web or software design if they don't already, and can use their work with CoX in a portfolio. If the game completely dies, what's Arcana got to show for it? Encyclopedic knowledge of the mechanics of a completely dead game?

Me too, they've done ridiculous amounts of work for the game. Most of them do it as a passion project/side thing, so it's really not that big an impact aside from it freeing tons of spare time. Arcana runs her own business as a tech consultant or something like that, so I'm sure she's fine. GG's probably in some sort of coma by now.

Cuchulain posted:

Right around the time that the Korean launch was happening, there was a client that ran the costume creator and saved outfits without needing to be online. Someone go find the City of Hero Costume Creator and rig it to work with i23+ pieces.

There are bits of that floating around in the files, actually. Gonna see if I can at least dig up the saved costumes and see if they still work for shits.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I just thought of an addendum to my above post- where else can I log in and shout DICKS and be greeted like Norm on Cheers? (except a gay bar)

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Project time, we need to get together on our favorite characters in Pocket D and recreate the opening scene from Cheers, set it to music, and post a farewell video.

Edit: I just found out I might be literally homeless in like a week. As in the place I have been crashing will no longer be available and I'll literally be living on the street. I'm going to have to take care of that.

Hopefully I'll have some time to play before the game shuts down but if not, it's been a pleasure, Goons.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
There's just something incredibly depressing about the fact that once this shuts down, not only will we as individuals no longer be able to create play and otherwise enjoy our characters, but nobody else ever will be able to experience it or run around through the game world taking in the sights and the feel of things. Nobody will get to take part in the world that Cryptic and Paragon put together, it'll all be no more than a bunch of numbers in some files. Like, maybe people will still be able to watch lovely youtube videos of freakshow farming five years from now, but it won't really be the same thing. Old movies you'll still have video, old games you can generally still play with some effort into DOSBox or whatever, but an old MMO? Gone forever, like furry tears in Pocket D. (ignoring the possibility of a server emulator)

I never really played much with Goons and had a really on-off relationship with the game, and have been in my off-cycle for a while, but I'm still legitimately super bummed about this. What sort of world do we live in where City of Heroes dies yet Champions Online lives?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I wouldn't get too crazy over it, mostly since it depends on what actually did it. Should hear from BABs by next week about the maybe licensing issue, or eventually about whatever's going on with NC's stock nonsense. If they continue to hold onto the IP, an actual CoH2 won't ever happen. A spiritual successor is always possible though, but a new publisher would have to pick up near the entirety of the Paragon team to make that happen in a meaningful way, which seems a bit unlikely.
IP is probably going to be the major barrier. NCSoft will either need to sell it completely, or be convinced that licensing it off to a third party won't lessen the value of it in case they decide to make a sequel.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Section Z posted:

Dance. Make you beautiful minions dance the night away.

Unless you're beast mastery, oops. (CAN the demons use the emotes? I know bots can.)

The demons can use some of the emotes, but not all. It's one of the few ways to get them to shut the gently caress up. And yes, they can dance, and it's pretty glorious.

I'll miss MMs, as they were a pretty unique formulation of the pet class. Every other MMO seems to do the boring WoW variation of "you get one pet that essentially tanks while you dps from range." The only other one I can think of that gave you multiple pets and let you concentrate on buffing/control/pet management was Anarchy Online's Metaphysicist, which was a pretty cool class too. But it didn't have Gang War. Nothing will ever match Gang War.

Pez posted:

I'll never think of it as time wasted, if anything I'm depressed at the fact that soon I'll never be able to log in and see some of my most intricate creations. Even with all the silly puns and gimmicks I made, a handful of my characters feel akin to things I've drawn, things I've written, things I've built. In fact I've never put hundreds of hours into one story or drawing but I have multiple characters sitting at over 500 hours. Where else can I create and play a giant robot with a squishy human sidekick? Or a former nazi who thinks he is a robot from space after being bashed on the head? Or a proud alien warrior who accidentally merged with A Special Boy? :smith:

BOBO HATE FIRE, my lab monkey who escaped while testing an experimental super suit that is eternally burning.

The Wu-Time Clan, an alien from the future who traveled back in time to assemble the greatest rap squad ever known. They really only fight because he keeps telling the Clan that the bad guys have Ol' Dirty's money and won't pay up.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Honestly, not getting a hold of the IP is the easiest fix. Everything in the game was fairly derivative to begin with. If the Paragon guys do decide to get together for a spiritual sequel, just shuffle names, powersets, and gimmicks around and give a nudge-nudge wink-wink about the multiverse being "Superboy Primed" at some point in the recent past.

"I am the Great Enemy! With my Cyberpunk legions I have conquered dozes of realities, and I will conquer Paradigm City!"

Nemesis and the Freakshow trade gimmicks, you've got steam powered Freak tanks with tophats and monocles and cyberpunk Fake Nemesis leading troops of battle orbs and shadoww run knock offs.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I am going to have to go back and check out the posts from the last couple of days, but I have to throw in how sad I am to see this goes. I kept meaning to go back and try out the new poo poo and spend time with some old favorites but never got around to it.

I've made a few honest to God friends across the country from this game and echo the sentiments that there was no GS like CoH GS. All the rest loving sucked next to you guys.

I'll have some screenshots incoming some time soon. Busy with my girlfriend this weekend (and I'm sure many of you remember me playing with my now soon-to-be-ex-wife, so obviously my life has changed a bit since I started back in 2004), but I'll dig into the external hard drive to see if they're backed up there or if they're lost forever.

I'm going to have to log in to play my Red Blur Architect mission one last time before this thing goes dark if I can. I'm sadder about that going away than anything else in this game.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
It will be loving criminal if this game goes away and still no other MMO picks up on some of it's more brilliant features like the Architect.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I like how the launcher is still telling me all these great things I can buy.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Geekboy posted:

I am going to have to go back and check out the posts from the last couple of days, but I have to throw in how sad I am to see this goes. I kept meaning to go back and try out the new poo poo and spend time with some old favorites but never got around to it.

I've made a few honest to God friends across the country from this game and echo the sentiments that there was no GS like CoH GS. All the rest loving sucked next to you guys.

I'll have some screenshots incoming some time soon. Busy with my girlfriend this weekend (and I'm sure many of you remember me playing with my now soon-to-be-ex-wife, so obviously my life has changed a bit since I started back in 2004), but I'll dig into the external hard drive to see if they're backed up there or if they're lost forever.

I'm going to have to log in to play my Red Blur Architect mission one last time before this thing goes dark if I can. I'm sadder about that going away than anything else in this game.

i hope kk didn't set you up with one of his 17 year olds he had tied up in his rape shack

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Judgement posted:

It will be loving criminal if this game goes away and still no other MMO picks up on some of it's more brilliant features like the Architect.

Star Trek Online's the only other MMO I know that allows such. It's kinda odd that that allowed it and Champions didn't.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

i hope kk didn't set you up with one of his 17 year olds he had tied up in his rape shack

Hahaha no, but he almost moved in with me for a while there. Might still, I suppose.

She is a lot younger than me, but not one of his barely legal girls with Daddy issues.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

Edit: I just found out I might be literally homeless in like a week. As in the place I have been crashing will no longer be available and I'll literally be living on the street. I'm going to have to take care of that.

Hopefully I'll have some time to play before the game shuts down but if not, it's been a pleasure, Goons.

Yikes, good luck with that one man.

Here, let me lighten the mood a bit.

Allow me to present literally the most offensive thing I could possibly post. The list of censored words.

Also for your viewing pleasure is the significantly less hilarious list of copyrighted and apparently unusable names.

Yeah.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Hahahaha awesome :)

Funny thing is back in the day I had an AR/Dev blaster called Black Scorpion that I had in my character set.

But then I deleted him for something else along the way. Really wish I had of kept that name when CoV came out.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I didn't make it past Anal Bleeder in the naughty list before I lost it :lol:

I think I'll sue NCSoft for the wrecker bots in Praetoria

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
assRapingYak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yikes, good luck with that one man.

Here, let me lighten the mood a bit.

Allow me to present literally the most offensive thing I could possibly post. The list of censored words.

Also for your viewing pleasure is the significantly less hilarious list of copyrighted and apparently unusable names.

Yeah.

wait...porchmonkey?

• Locked thread