Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The best thing about that list is that they have a faction that is literally nazis, but you can't say "nazi."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

international owl day posted:

wait...porchmonkey?

It's ok, I'm taking it back

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Pez posted:

It's ok, I'm taking it back

Kevin Smith needs to see this list right away.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
An hour ago my bro walked out, saying he had something to take care of.

He just came home with a copy of GW2 for me. :unsmith:

Asilack the modern day paladin, still being the greatest bro years after quitting City of Heroes.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

international owl day posted:

wait...porchmonkey?

Slang for black person.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yikes, good luck with that one man.

Here, let me lighten the mood a bit.

Allow me to present literally the most offensive thing I could possibly post. The list of censored words.

Also for your viewing pleasure is the significantly less hilarious list of copyrighted and apparently unusable names.

Yeah.

The List posted:

416. CLITORIOUS
506. EuropeSucks
777. JAPSLAPPER
991. SchitzNGrins

A sampling of my favorites.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Allow me to present literally the most offensive thing I could possibly post. The list of censored words.

Also for your viewing pleasure is the significantly less hilarious list of copyrighted and apparently unusable names.

Yeah.

:stare:

quote:

355. ButtHymen

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I'm in tears over ButtHymen. Not the bad kind.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Cuchulain posted:

I'm in tears over ButtHymen. Not the bad kind.
ButtHymen is pretty bad but I misread "tears" as the other word with the same spelling and now it's even worse.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Geekboy posted:

I am going to have to go back and check out the posts from the last couple of days, but I have to throw in how sad I am to see this goes. I kept meaning to go back and try out the new poo poo and spend time with some old favorites but never got around to it.

I've made a few honest to God friends across the country from this game and echo the sentiments that there was no GS like CoH GS. All the rest loving sucked next to you guys.

I'll have some screenshots incoming some time soon. Busy with my girlfriend this weekend (and I'm sure many of you remember me playing with my now soon-to-be-ex-wife, so obviously my life has changed a bit since I started back in 2004), but I'll dig into the external hard drive to see if they're backed up there or if they're lost forever.

I'm going to have to log in to play my Red Blur Architect mission one last time before this thing goes dark if I can. I'm sadder about that going away than anything else in this game.

Geek,

I love your Red Blur arc. I will be sad about that too, and all the other awesome goon arcs going away. There was a lot of wasted potential in the MA, but drat if some great times didn't come out of it.

Also, this is @anachrodragon, and I'm going to say "thank you" again. My husband and I still love the freaking huge ink drawing you did for us of our two villian characters. It's got a permanent place of honor on our bedroom wall, and the fact that the game is going away just makes me appreciate it more.

Sorry to hear about your soon-to-be-ex-wife, but I hope you're still drawing. I want to buy your comics some day.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

shady anachronism posted:

Geek,

I love your Red Blur arc. I will be sad about that too, and all the other awesome goon arcs going away. There was a lot of wasted potential in the MA, but drat if some great times didn't come out of it.

Also, this is @anachrodragon, and I'm going to say "thank you" again. My husband and I still love the freaking huge ink drawing you did for us of our two villian characters. It's got a permanent place of honor on our bedroom wall, and the fact that the game is going away just makes me appreciate it more.

Sorry to hear about your soon-to-be-ex-wife, but I hope you're still drawing. I want to buy your comics some day.

Awwww. I'd forgotten all about that piece, but I enjoyed the hell out of doing it.

I don't do much drawing other than posters for theater projects I've got going in my spare time, but that's just because it's so time consuming. Most of my creative energies go into singing or acting (or both, occasionally), but I'm fine with that.

You may still get to buy my comics someday, though. We'll see.

Don't be sad about the ex-wife. I'm certainly not.

The game is installed. One step closer to spending some time in there.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Man I thought CoH would always be around to come back to. :(

@Ziddar as I always have been, played as Fallen Betty for years and sporadically after that. I'll never forget all the antics pulled with goons here. From the amazing Goon Rangers to Stinky's best costumes, it'll never be the same.

Have some screenshots from the past:

Goon Rangers rocking out with Freakazoid

Victory dance from the longest Hydra trial ever. Gutsy Atom died about 10 times in a row by reviving, staggering about 3 feet, and dying again. Eventually he got far enough away to start reviving everyone else. Also perma-hasten on everyone.

He kept buffing us and ruining the shot.

These were all from about Summer 2005. I have lots more, but I'll just leave this final one:

CoH Goonsquad best Goonsquad.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

i'm in 2 of those, voted 5

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

That group shot is gonna make me tear up a little. I think it'l be in my desktop rotation for a while :smith:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

i'm in 2 of those, voted 5

Since I was on moon time I never made the original GS squad pic :(

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Abroham, since the games closing can you finally reveal who you are or how you are able to acquire all the fabulous insider knowledge youve supplied us with over the willenium?

Also, chiming in to regret letting my VIP lapse a few weeks ago now.

Anyway, Ill miss this game and all the friends ive made along the way. Back when @Unemployed Guy was actually unemployed, and not working two jobs to support a wife and daughter guy. Too many names to list, but if anyone ever wants to play some steam games Im in CoXgoons group or http://steamcommunity.com/id/Brotherdon add me and we can reminisce over the golden age of super hero MMOs, or trade dick pics.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Quick someone photoshop a boner hovering overhead

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I found this screenshot taken by Mike Mulligan of me getting my first 50:

Kernel Korn is offscreen nuking some dudes.

Fond Internet memories. :unsmith:

DressCodeBlue fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 1, 2012

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Tommy 2.0 posted:

All you can see in that one is Shoves' feet for some reason.

Kosmicheskaya
Jun 15, 2003

Maybe I am a hero, after all.

Tommy 2.0 posted:

You and me both :(

Man, who remembers that Goon Squad sound pack mod? GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yeah.

You know now that I see the list I'm really bummed I didn't pick:

Cornhole

Analrapist

They are not on the list.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 1, 2012

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Didn't some goon already have a Tobias-themed character named that?

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

DressCodeBlue posted:

God I hope so.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I think it was either Doctor Funke or I Blew Myself.
I'm going to miss giving people silly character names. :smith:

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Kosmicheskaya posted:

You and me both :(

Man, who remembers that Goon Squad sound pack mod? GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE

Ahhh, Goonbox. Parts of it still work, but with all of the changes they've made a lot of it is broken. Still great to have if you are trying to get some final playtime in. Just today I heard the meow mix car and cracked up. I forgot about that.

...and now with this final change, soon it won't work at all!

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
That photo wasn't the first GS photo. There was one before that. It used to be the banner for GT. I was in the first one, but must have been away for the second.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I'm not sure but I may have been the only one to stick with the 'Sidekicks for your Main' gimmick.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I'm not sure but I may have been the only one to stick with the 'Sidekicks for your Main' gimmick.

I still have Wreckerboy, I was planning on a Virtue version using Bio Armor :smith:

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
So I said a bit earlier in the thread that I'd never go over to Champions. I decided that was a bit unfair, cause I've never played the game or really even see how it plays (outside of derisive comments like "like Issue4-Era City Of Heroes probably") and that maybe I should look into it a bit before I just slam it down as a big "no"

Apparently, they're going to be giving players Mounts. Well, the modern-day version of mounts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFReyE2htr8

I also really dig this bonus aura they gave out over July 4th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO7yRsKM2Xs

Overall, for you guys that still really feel like you *have* to have your Dress Up Doll game (and I can't blame you, you only had it for the last 8 years) Champions is probably going to be the next best thing.
Hell I'm pretty sure they still have some old CoH sfx in the game (although I could be wrong about that)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gUDiX1igks&t=690s

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I've been tempted to install Champions before, now more than ever. Just so Wreckerbot will live on a little longer :sigh:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
I just cant do champions. That kung fu mmo ncsoft is coming out with looks hopeful, but this is the end of an era. It is really tough to find an mmo-lite where you can literally take 6 months off, but still log in, find friends and pick up like it was just yesterday.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Ramen Pride! posted:

Ahhh, Goonbox. Parts of it still work, but with all of the changes they've made a lot of it is broken. Still great to have if you are trying to get some final playtime in. Just today I heard the meow mix car and cracked up. I forgot about that.

...and now with this final change, soon it won't work at all!

I was in the middle of rebuilding it. Having Goons pose for me for the billboards and poo poo, all new sounds (except the glowie sound and GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE!") and doing a few tweaks here and there.

Another project shitcanned.

"Will it hurt? Will I see Mommy in Heaven, or will everything just be... gone? I'm gonna hold Mr. Sock Monkey so he's not afraid when it happens. I'm just gonna sit here, and not be a cat-girl any more." - Skrunchie, Pocket-D.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
How are we going to go out? Should we do another thugs mm run on pocket D?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If they let everyone go vip for the last month I will do any troll gimmick required of me.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

DressCodeBlue posted:

My wife made one at some point. Had cut offs and everything.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

ClassH posted:

My wife made one at some point. Had cut offs and everything.

Hey man make sure you get on steam and stuff.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Ziddar posted:

These were all from about Summer 2005. I have lots more, but I'll just leave this final one:

CoH Goonsquad best Goonsquad.
Hey, I'm in that one, almost dead center.

I'll miss having Dreamcaster and D-Pad around. I tried Champions at launch but never really got into it, maybe I'll give it another shot.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

@Tiberium Dwarf here. CoH was a great, fun game but honestly the thing that kept me coming back every few months was the goon community. You guys are awesome. This was easily the best group of goons fuckin' around on an MMO or online game - period. Lots of laughs, lots of fun. Sucks that it had to end.

Shout out to Val and BMU and the rest of the Goonsquad crew. See ya'll in the steam group.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I just installed Champions, but I will probably get sick of it in 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Hey guys, I haven't played CoX in a few years, but I was thinking of coming back. It's still completely awesome, right? :downs:

• Locked thread