Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Baracula posted:

Aren't some of those symbols kosher certification? I thought the EDL were down with the jews :confused:

The entire top line is kosher certifications. The only slight surprise is that Kelloggs and Nestle even bothered getting them certified halal because the vast majority of Muslims just don't give a poo poo about non-meat products being certified, as unlike kosher laws there's almost no restrictions on non-meat products (and if they're not sure, they just check for the kosher certification). I suppose it's a really cheap certification so they just paid for it for the tiny boost in sales they might get.

(It's actually that paid certification that they would care about if they gave it a moments thought rather than the fact of the food actually being halal - c.f. the old "kosher tax" canard. If they actually wanted to eat only haraam food I'd be all for that as they'd be dead pretty soon from their pork and carrion diet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Isn't anything kosher automatically halal or something like that?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In theory, meat should be butchered by Dhabihah to be halal. This means that you say an islamic prayer, though I would think many muslims will accept kosher meats on the grounds that the important part is the merciful execution of the slaughter in question, not so much if if every single animal is blessed by the butcher.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Tias posted:

In theory, meat should be butchered by Dhabihah to be halal. This means that you say an islamic prayer, though I would think many muslims will accept kosher meats on the grounds that the important part is the merciful execution of the slaughter in question, not so much if if every single animal is blessed by the butcher.

Likewise, those who wish to make it an issue believe that a prayer is uttered each time an animal is slaughtered and is part of the secret Islamic Super-Allah Shock takeover of America, like noted racist and listed source in Anders Breivik's manifesto 2083: A European Declaration of Independence Pamela Geller believes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

It's slightly complicated. Some (most) Muslims are absolutely fine with kosher meat as-is as they accept Jews as Brothers Of The Book, and consider Jehovah and Allah's name to be interchangeable to satisfy the requirement for the slaughter of the animal to be in the name of Allah (the actual mechanics of the slaughter being the same).

Some are a bit more hardcore and make an additional prayer over the meat to "convert" it to halal, and there's a bit of holy lawyering for them - slaughterhouses will have a Jewish person make the slaughter and then a Muslim person say a prayer over the meat as it leaves the assembly line or vice versa so as to be able to satisfy the more conservative members of both religion.

There's also a growing community who, similar to Reformed Judaism, see the requirement as actually just to eat clean food prepared properly and so accept any non-haraam food without the need for the ritual - particularly those who know or suspect the truth, that the vast majority of "blessing" is purely theoretical in modern butchering and that the certification bodies just rock up once a year to make sure there's someone of the right faith on site at some point.

This, by the way, is why there are quite a few different certification marks for both kosher and halal, to reflect these differing standards - so one mark simply certifies there's no pork (or camel, for that matter) or insects or other forbidden matter in it, one certifies that the kill is actually made with the prayer (IIRC there are two different prayers too and some marks differentiate), one that it's kosher for Passover, etc.

LP97S posted:

Likewise, those who wish to make it an issue believe that a prayer is uttered each time an animal is slaughtered and is part of the secret Islamic Super-Allah Shock takeover of America, like noted racist and listed source in Anders Breivik's manifesto 2083: A European Declaration of Independence Pamela Geller believes.

Well in theory a prayer is said over each animal as the killing cut is made (I say in theory because most modern slaughtering is done entirely mechanically, they might have a guy looking over the machine saying a prayer once in a while). The question is, why should Christians give a poo poo? I've never quite understood this weird inferiority complex they have over things like this. It reminds me of that bullshit about coating bullets in pigs blood - if you're a Christian surely you believe a Muslim is going to Hell anyway, regardless of how they die? Likewise why would a prayer to a god you think doesn't exist (quiet at the back there with that Abrahammic poo poo) possibly shake your ability to go to Heaven?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Baracula posted:

Aren't some of those symbols kosher certification? I thought the EDL were down with the jews :confused:

Yeah, lol.

Its got both muslim magic runes AND jew magic runes.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's slightly complicated. Some (most) Muslims are absolutely fine with kosher meat as-is as they accept Jews as Brothers Of The Book, and consider Jehovah and Allah's name to be interchangeable to satisfy the requirement for the slaughter of the animal to be in the name of Allah (the actual mechanics of the slaughter being the same).

Some are a bit more hardcore and make an additional prayer over the meat to "convert" it to halal, and there's a bit of holy lawyering for them - slaughterhouses will have a Jewish person make the slaughter and then a Muslim person say a prayer over the meat as it leaves the assembly line or vice versa so as to be able to satisfy the more conservative members of both religion.

There's also a growing community who, similar to Reformed Judaism, see the requirement as actually just to eat clean food prepared properly and so accept any non-haraam food without the need for the ritual - particularly those who know or suspect the truth, that the vast majority of "blessing" is purely theoretical in modern butchering and that the certification bodies just rock up once a year to make sure there's someone of the right faith on site at some point.

This, by the way, is why there are quite a few different certification marks for both kosher and halal, to reflect these differing standards - so one mark simply certifies there's no pork (or camel, for that matter) or insects or other forbidden matter in it, one certifies that the kill is actually made with the prayer (IIRC there are two different prayers too and some marks differentiate), one that it's kosher for Passover, etc.

Well in theory a prayer is said over each animal as the killing cut is made (I say in theory because most modern slaughtering is done entirely mechanically, they might have a guy looking over the machine saying a prayer once in a while). The question is, why should Christians give a poo poo? I've never quite understood this weird inferiority complex they have over things like this. It reminds me of that bullshit about coating bullets in pigs blood - if you're a Christian surely you believe a Muslim is going to Hell anyway, regardless of how they die? Likewise why would a prayer to a god you think doesn't exist (quiet at the back there with that Abrahammic poo poo) possibly shake your ability to go to Heaven?

Apparently there was some IDF folks throwing the theory around of having pork fat through busses to deter muslims from suiciding. I'm sure the local rabbi was face-palming like loving crazy when he heard that, because the prohibition is identical in both faiths (and neither faiths feature a bonkers god who will send his martyrs to hell because some darstardly infidel put some pig on the body.)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I have heard some people express concern over the supposed cruelty of the halal slaughtering technique, but I haven't looked into it much. Can anyone shed light on this?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lamuella posted:

I have heard some people express concern over the supposed cruelty of the halal slaughtering technique, but I haven't looked into it much. Can anyone shed light on this?

The throat is cut and the body hung up to drain. It's actually supposed to be really quick (the animal loses consciousness almost immediately) and as close to cruelty-free as you're going to get when you're killing something.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
It's actually a lot quicker and painless than generic industrial abbatoirs, but it's evil and cruel because MUSLAMICS

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

It's actually a lot quicker and painless than generic industrial abbatoirs, but it's evil and cruel because MUSLAMICS

Well, normal slaughter uses pretty much the same technique except it also severs the spinal cord. Leaving the blood in makes like much harder when handling the carcass, so exsanguination is a standard step.

The big concern is that both kosher and halal laws prohibit stunning of the animal before slaughter, something which has been standard practice for years. The prohibition against stunning is because the stunning occasionally kills the animal, meaning it died other than in the ritual fashion. (The stunning has little to do with the welfare of the animal, it just makes them easier to handle).

There's been quite a bit of experimentation to try to determine how much distress the animal feels, with the conclusion that it can go either way, in particular because stunning is imprecise and can leave them semi-conscious and in considerable pain for several minutes compared to the few seconds of pain and distress an animal feels after having its throat cut.

(There's also a side debate over whether the jig used to make the butchers life easier, which holds the animal upside down to make cutting the throat easier, causes undue distress and as such whether that is also haraam as one of the points of the ritual is to minimise pain and suffering to the animal).

Fluo
May 25, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well, normal slaughter uses pretty much the same technique except it also severs the spinal cord. Leaving the blood in makes like much harder when handling the carcass, so exsanguination is a standard step.

The big concern is that both kosher and halal laws prohibit stunning of the animal before slaughter, something which has been standard practice for years. The prohibition against stunning is because the stunning occasionally kills the animal, meaning it died other than in the ritual fashion. (The stunning has little to do with the welfare of the animal, it just makes them easier to handle).

There's been quite a bit of experimentation to try to determine how much distress the animal feels, with the conclusion that it can go either way, in particular because stunning is imprecise and can leave them semi-conscious and in considerable pain for several minutes compared to the few seconds of pain and distress an animal feels after having its throat cut.

(There's also a side debate over whether the jig used to make the butchers life easier, which holds the animal upside down to make cutting the throat easier, causes undue distress and as such whether that is also haraam as one of the points of the ritual is to minimise pain and suffering to the animal).

A friend I know, use to work in slaughterhouses (which ended up making him a vegan) says the boltguns sometimes just smashes the skull of cows into tiny pieces and having them still conscious and you hear them mooing as they were being skinned alive.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some places use gasses like nitrogen to knock them out first. Seems like the most humane way possible but would also make it nonkosher.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
EDL bastards spray graffiti on a young family's new home.

My favourite part (if that's the word) is that these fine examples of the master race drew their Nazi swastika the wrong way round. :laugh:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Stottie Kyek posted:

EDL bastards spray graffiti on a young family's new home.

My favourite part (if that's the word) is that these fine examples of the master race drew their Nazi swastika the wrong way round. :laugh:

Here at the EDL, we actually love israel and the jewis*hIcKUp* HEIL HITLER!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

LP97S posted:

Ugh, don't get me started. I live in Denmark, and the upstanding citizens Breivik got a large part of his "ideological" capstone from, are uneducated haters on an olympic level.

duck monster posted:

Apparently there was some IDF folks throwing the theory around of having pork fat through busses to deter muslims from suiciding. I'm sure the local rabbi was face-palming like loving crazy when he heard that, because the prohibition is identical in both faiths (and neither faiths feature a bonkers god who will send his martyrs to hell because some darstardly infidel put some pig on the body.)

Why am I not suprised at DL loons having the same fetishes as Freerepublic.com?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The only study I could find on animal distress during slaughter concluded that ritual cuts caused faster death and less pain for larger livestock like cows and sheep but more pain for smaller livestock like chickens than mechanical and boltgun slaughtering. This was due to massive variation in effectiveness of boltguns as Fluo said. It measured pain by levels of brain activity iirc. The study was carried out by an Islamic advisory group of some kind (obv. Islamo-Marxist propaganda)

HUMAN DECENCY? FOR MUSLIMS? GOOD LORD

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 28, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

If you put a bolt gun to the side of a humans head and fired, it probably wouldnt kill him (assuming prompt ER help in the first hour), just leave him very loving brain damaged and scrambled.

Thats why if you shoot yourself in the head, you want to do it by sticking a gun in your mouth and trying to blow out all the important bits at the base of the brain, not the grey matter. You can survive damaging the grey matter, though you'll probably be a total scrambled institution case afterwards.

When I was a small kid, back in the 70s and 80s, the way we'd kill sheep back then on the farm was to cut their jugular. They die *fast*, and pretty much instantly their eyes roll back and their gone. Not even a struggle.

The reason is, when you cut the jugular, all the blood in the brain just dumps out the cut, which causes unconsciousness very fast, followed by a rapid ischemic cascade where the brain loses oxygen, and poo poo just shuts down in a very "Im now dead" way, like that.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Tias posted:

Why am I not suprised at DL loons having the same fetishes as Freerepublic.com?

I probably shouldn't be shocked anymore, but regularly fantasising about killing Muslims would be disgusting and crazy enough without them treating it like they were loving vampires. As if regular weapons would only inconvenience the roving Muslim hordes, but coating things with porkfat and pig's blood will make them burst into flames.

The real joke here always seemed that for all the infatuation with the idea that Muslims are fixated around 'magical' prohibitions and rituals these are taken far more seriously by the people who spread this kind of hatred than anything else, who treat them like loving talismans (I'm pretty sure Islamic terrorists don't truck all the Qurans out before their bombings). It's for this reason I don't buy all this talk about the cruelty of halal practices. The problem with halal meats fundamentally is the 'message' it being available, particularly in supermarkets, or, what's worse, sitting innocuously on the shelf next to 'normal' industrially-slaughtered meat. It's an unacceptable level of normalisation. (Though I have read some op-eds that come dangerously close to treating halal like a magical property that transforms and degenerates you from within.)

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
This popped up on the "NWI Fightback" facebook page a while back... Seem to remember someone wanting something similar to it...

One of Kevin Caroll's big fantasy list of things he's gonna do when he becomes police commissioner is tackle illegal immigration.

This snapshot of a conversation was taken on his official Facebook Page:

"There are more than half a million illegal immigrants in the UK. We don't know who they are or where they are, but we know there's over half a million of them..."

This is absolutely not Kevin Carroll himself, BTW - It's most likely Michael Wood or Paul Weston (both higher-ups in the BFP) Several Facebook posters have noted that they have had PM conversations with Uncle Kev, and they've almost always had allcaps "FUK OFF U LEFTY TROLL LOL"-type responses.

Meanwhile, the EDL website has put up this artice on why Bedfordshire needs Kev Carroll as police commissioner.

The article starts off with some near-comical nationalistic wank over Winston Churchill and, for some reason, Viscount D'Abernon... Because when you think "national icon" you think of the guy who caused a financial crash via meddling with international finances, but made a personal fortune.

Not willing to stop beating a dead horse, the patriotic onanism continues:

quote:

Our grandparents knew what it was like to fight for our nation’s survival, but most people today have no conception of what it is like to be at war.

On behalf of one of my brothers closest friends whose name was etched into The National Memorial Arboretum wall just this year: "gently caress you".

quote:

This reluctance to accept that a threat to our own way of life exists is sometimes called a “normalcy bias”. If we don’t know what something is like, then we find it difficult to imagine. Unfortunately, no matter how much we’d like to deny it, the way of life our grandparents fought for is under threat. And we are the only ones who can do anything about it.

Of course, it couldn't be that the current state of affairs is siply what is known as "normal" and that belief that "the way of life our grandparents fought for is under threat. And we are the only ones who can do anything about it" could be paranoia, could it?

quote:

Kevin Carroll, intends to stand as a candidate for Police and Crime Commissioner for Bedfordshire (1). If he is successful, then the authorities in that area will have to start listening to some of the legitimate grievances of the British working class today.

The reference footnote on the end confused me at first... I couldn't find any references in the article. It doubly confused me because the article uses hyperlinks all over the place.

I'll spare you the links but I eventually found that the article was also posted on the British Freedom web page, as well as Gates of Vienna. Both of those did include the references.

Through this I also found out that the writer of the article runs a rather odd Islamophobia and youtube music related blog alled In The Frozen North. The first post of which is a short essay about Hitler, Nazism and why Obama subscribes to such beleifs because he had the bust of Winston Churchill removed

quote:

Politicians today don’t care about the British working class. They don’t listen to us; they hold us in contempt. And that needs to change, because at the end of the day, we don’t work for them — they work for us.

Hang on, that sounds like commie-talk to me!

quote:

When anyone from the working class stands up today and speaks about some of the very real problems which have arisen as a consequence of the British government secretly implementing a policy of uncontrollable immigration and enforced multiculturalism (8, 9, 10), they’re persecuted for doing so.

8,9 and 10 do not so much lead to articles that uncover the secret government plan to flood the UK with "enforced multiculturalism", so much as they link to articles like this wherein a speech-writer offers his opinions on Blair's immigration policy.

Big quote here...

quote:

The distance between working class people in Britain and the political class has never been greater, and it’s felt throughout the country. The Joseph Rowntree Foundation spoke at length with people living in what they called “white working class” communities in Birmingham, London and Coventry as part of a study they did in 2011.

Those were not “white working class” communities at all; there were significant numbers of immigrants living there, they have been the targets of government funded “community cohesion” programmes, and their local councils, in which the immigrant populations were well represented, ignored the concerns of the white people living there.

It’s more accurate to say that the Joseph Rowntree Foundation went into areas that had been affected by ideologically driven social engineering policies, where immigrants were automatically given priority in every meaningful way over native Brits of English, Scottish, and Irish extraction, and where everyone living there who was working class and happened to be white were systematically marginalised and ignored. The researchers talked to the victims of those government policies.

The researchers were told time and again that working class people share the following values: a strong work ethic, respect for themselves and others, collective values and reciprocal support. In academic language, the report states that “participants across study areas emphasised a framework or code of working class principles. In this way, identity could be maintained. People could understand, in a common sense way, that they were similar” (11).

The researchers eventually realised that working class identity is based not on skin colour at all, but on working class values which “some newcomers might not share” (12).

No poo poo Sherlock!

The Joseph Rowntree Foundation did indeed perform an observation and study into "white working-class views on community cohesion and the impact of social change"

The quote used, insinuated to be a "finding" of the report is, in fact, a quote from one interviewed resident (Page 41) with "newcomer" referring not to, as insinuated again, ethnic minorities exclusivly, but to any new arrival to any given community

quote:

"Most of the discussion and debate focused on minority communities but not exclusively. Newcomers could also be composed of middle-class people gentrifying Somers Town or students moving into Canley."

Somehow, this writer skews this valuable report into the failure of some community leaders to continue to maintain community cohesion in poorer areas into an observation into restrictions on free speech, presumably because good British parrots keep getting arrested whenever they have a fight with those loving pakis who shouldn't be there in the first place, it's not racist because Islam isn't a race.

quote:

John Stuart Mill wrote that silencing a dissenting opinion is “robbing the human race” because if that opinion turns out to be right, then people are deprived of the opportunity to exchange error for truth (14). Mill wrote that “the opinion which it is attempted to suppress by authority may possibly be true. Those who desire to suppress it, of course deny its truth; but they are not infallible” (15).

[...]

The English Defence League and British Freedom are also speaking the truth about the doctrines of Islam, and about its history. The facts of the matter are accessible to everyone who cares to find out: there are books on the history of Islam that are accessible to everyone, by respected authors like William Montgomery Watt, Hugh Kennedy, Ernle Bradford, Roger Crowley and so forth. And one of the best ways to find out about Islamic doctrines is to actually read for yourself the foundational texts of Islam: The Koran and the Hadith.

14 and 15 are both On Liberty references.

You know what... I've just scrolled through the rest of it and... I just can't be arsed. It goes on and on with heaven knows how many far-right talking points (the police should be going after Real Criminals, not Patriotic Brits speaking their mind - he even goes to quote Liberty (formerly National Council for Civil Liberties) and their criticism on Section 5 in his defence of the EDL's ability to be racist fucks.

None of this is worth it - Kevin Carroll has no chance of attaining this position. He almost certainly has no idea what it entails, and the position pushed by the BFP either show that they have no idea either, or that they're just riling up the gullible donators with a list of "stuff we'll fix" knowing full well that they'll never get the position and be able to blame their enevetable failure on the politically correct brigade who are too scared of having a patriot in the position.

Here's a quote from the Home Office on what the police commissioner job entails:

quote:

Police and crime commissioners (PCCs) will aim to cut crime and deliver an effective and efficient police service within their force area.

To provide stronger and more transparent accountability of the police, PCCs will be elected by the public to hold chief constables and the force to account; effectively making the police answerable to the communities they serve.

Police and crime commissioners will ensure community needs are met as effectively as possible, and will improve local relationships through building confidence and restoring trust. They will also work in partnership across a range of agencies at local and national level to ensure there is a unified approach to preventing and reducing crime.

PCCs will not be expected to run the police. The role of the PCC is to be the voice of the people and hold the police to account.

And here's some of the things that Kev will, supposedly, do according to him and the BFP:

quote:

• An end to cuts in the police service.

The commissioner is a social liaison - they have no control over pay and funding.

quote:

• Substantial improvements to pay and conditions of officers on the street, who are at the sharp end of crime and disorder in Britain.

And again.

quote:

• An end to political correctness, which is forced on officers by their politicised superiors, hampering their ability to deal with serious crime. Officers tackling crime out on the street need to know that they have 100% backing of their superiors.

The commissioner's role bounces between his community and the chief constable. These sorts of "problems" already have an established line of action.

quote:

• An end to ‘two-tier’ policing. The law should apply equally to all sections of the community.

The commissioner has no impact on individual arrests, nor the dealing of these arrests by CPS or other organisations.

quote:

• Strong policing of anti-social behaviour that blights the lives of many families.

This, at least, has something to do with the commissioner's role. While he will have no impact on police action, he will be able to communicate the communities problems with specific forms and locations of anti-social behaviour (should such complaints exist) and raise the perception of the police's dealing with these problems with the chief constable.

quote:

• No more police time wasted on manning speed traps.

Not in the commissioner's remit - beyond reporting community displeasure with such activity.

quote:

• A crackdown on the dealing of hard drugs.

Again, another thing that might be relevant - again depending on the communities' wishes.

quote:

• The police force once again focused on dramatically reducing serious crime — criminals and organised gangs should fear the consequences of their actions.

See above.

I'll keep saying it though - as much as it won't happen - part of me kinda wants it to. Give the EDL/BFP/whatever some responsibility, and some accountability, turn the camera on and sit back.

For years, my favourite BNP counsellor story was about Steve Batkin of Stoke-on-trent who famously contributed the following, and only the following to his entire career:

quote:

"What does 'abstain' mean?"

Having Uncle Kev Carroll as police commissioner will not only mark the first elected police commissioner, but also, almost inevitably, the first to be booted out of his position.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Postan' again.

This is happening soon.

Andalusi is the fellow who "debated" Tommeh when he appeared on Vox Africa ( Link) Which means he's got a rehersal under his belt - Tommeh will say exactly the same things - he's been doing it for over 3 years, no reason to change now.

In the meantime EDL Bolton have finally given up - some astounding self-awareness here.

And an official response to the vile graffiti sprayed over some poor family's new home

TerryCheesecake
Aug 2, 2003
-
The SDL (lol) are holding a protest in Dundee tomorrow. Come along and join the counter protest if you can! http://www.facebook.com/events/150093298448461/

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

The British National Party’s subtly-named “truth truck” ground to a halt in Sunderland, after becoming wedged under a low bridge.

Members of the far-right nationalist party were returning from a lunchtime demonstration outside a branch of sandwich chain Subway this weekend, to protest against their use of halal meat.

But as the truck, emblazoned with the party’s slogans and heart-shaped Union Jacks, headed towards the store, it became jammed under a bridge in the Sheepfolds area of the city.

:allears:

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Fluo posted:

A friend I know, use to work in slaughterhouses (which ended up making him a vegan) says the boltguns sometimes just smashes the skull of cows into tiny pieces and having them still conscious and you hear them mooing as they were being skinned alive.

This is entirely unlikely - if you've ever seen a captive bolt gun you'll know why. Even if the bolt gun didn't stun the animal successfully every time (and it virtually always does unless there's some sort of malfunction of gun or slaughterman) and if the cow is still feeling chirpy after it's been pithed with a plastic rod through the hole the gun left, the very next thing that happens is that it will have its throat cut to drain all the blood out before it is skinned. If it can still moo with a cut throat then it's doing pretty well.

There's certainly plenty of twitching, but it doesn't imply anything about the animal's conscious state. It's gruesome, but it's a good way out compared to some of the alternatives on offer.

The claim is that the Schechita is quick and painless, but it should only take a moment's thought to realise that having your throat cut while fully conscious isn't going to be a barrel of laughs. And there's also plenty of blood vessels which won't be cut to help keep blood pressure in the brain high enough for consciousness to extend longer than you might like - you don't black out straight away.

Oddly enough Halal killing is theoretically better since you're supposed to decapitate the animal in one shot which removes all the cranial pressure much faster.

Which, just to make this post vaguely on-topic, makes it odd that the EDL should support Jewish slaughter methods while complaining about Muslim ones.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

I hope I'm not the only one who instantly thought of this:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
cross posting ahoy! Here's why the British railway unions are still loving ace http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...nt-8099812.html

Independent posted:

King’s Cross staff threaten walk out in protest at EDL using station as demonstration rallying point

Passengers travelling to the Paralympics face major disruption today after staff at King’s Cross in London vowed to walk out in protest at supporters of the far-right English Defence League using the station as a rallying point for a demonstration in the north of the capital. Staff members have complained that they faced abuse at the hands of the EDL as they headed to a similar protest last year. A spokesman for the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) said staff would take the step – in a bid to close the Underground station - in order to protect themselves and the public.

“Staff will walk away from work on the grounds of safety, if nothing else,” said an RMT spokesman yesterday. He added: “we are talking about an organisation which has a track record of violence and our staff have reported problems in the past.” RMT members have privately talked about shutting the station down. However, their bosses at Transport for London insisted yesterday that the station would remain open and said that their talks with the Metropolitan Police and British Transport Police indicated no immediate danger to staff or to the public.

Police sought to ban last year’s march, which saw clashes between the EDL and their opponents, and staff at King’s Cross closed the entrance to the tube for around half an hour.

Staff are understood to be unhappy with the approach to last year’s EDL demonstration in Walthamstow. Some said they have decided to take action themselves to stop the group travelling from the station to Blackhorse Road tube station in north London, where this year’s march is due to start. Some of those involved are also believed to be ideologically opposed to the EDL and will seek to block their march if possible. Plans seen by the Independent indicate that some staff at King’s Cross station are planning to “organise halting [the marchers] getting on to the system in the first place”. The plans continue: “The obvious point of exit is Blackhorse Road. We need to close this station down (as opposed to just withdrawing to places of safety) and then Walthamstow when the risk is transferred.

“We mustn’t do this too early because we’ll only hinder the counter demonstration that’s assembling at Walthamstow at 11. In other words, we close Blackhorse Road and Walthamstow stations at the point when the risk actually presents itself. We need to draft up a simple pro forma on refusal to work on the grounds of health and safety on account of the serious and imminent risk presented by the EDL to staff and passengers." In an email, organisers said they planned to “refuse to work, close the station and insist that the service [does not stop there] as a result.”

They said they expected around 500 EDL members to attend the demonstration and anti-EDL groups have vowed to hold counter demonstrations. A TfL spokesperson said: “The safety of our staff and customers is our first priority. We have been working closely with the British Transport Police and Metropolitan Police and there is no known threat to our staff or our customers. We have no plans to close either King’s Cross or Blackhorse Road stations.”

EDL leader Stephen Yaxley-Lennon did not respond to requests for comment. However, the group has repeatedly insisted that it is non-violent but, since it does not have a formal membership structure, cannot control every member of a march.

gently caress yeah!

EndofGoogle
Nov 22, 2004
page 20 of 100
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2196433/

More bigots making asses of themselves and getting arrested

quote:

A British dad has been arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred after praising mass murderer Anders Breivik on Facebook, it emerged today.

Philip Horn, 44, allegedly said on the social networking site that he 'takes his hat off' to the infamous gunman.

The Norwegian slaughtered 77 adults and teenagers when he bombed government buildings in Oslo and carried out a mass shooting on the island of Utoya in July last year.

Twisted: Jailed mass murderer Anders Breivik was praised by father-of-three Philip Horn on Facebook

Horn, a father-of-three, from Gillingham, was arrested by Kent Police on Thursday afternoon and is currently being held in custody.

Horn, who is reported to have links with the English Defence League, is also alleged to have publicly supported Breivik’s crusade to 'protect his country from Muslims'.

The unemployed builder from Gillingham, Kent, is said to have posted a message saying: 'Well done Anders Breivik. I take my hat off to you sir.

'You proved you were not insane and that you are just one of many like myself who wish their country to return to the way it was before it was invaded by the Muslim population. Respect to you.'

He was also filmed by a national newspaper saying: 'If someone came to my door in a uniform and said they were going to bang me up for six months then fine. I’m not going to retract any remarks I made.

'To a certain extent I do defend what he’s [Breivik] done. Go back 40-50 years ago to Norway, would you have seen people walking around in burkas and all that?

'I am a racist to a certain extent. Of course it’s wrong to kill children, but if he had to do it that way to get his point across, so be it.'

A Kent Police spokesman said: 'During the afternoon of Thursday, August 30 a 45-year-old man from Gillingham was arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred.

'He is currently in police custody.'

Will he likely lose his kids for essentially being ok with child murder?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
gently caress, the Mail is written for pinheads. "A British dad" indeed.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

According to various antifa groups, there was a huge reaction in Waltham forest of people telling the EDL to gently caress off:

http://www.schnews.org.uk/stories/DEATH-KNELL-FOR-THE-EDL/

http://socialistworker.co.uk/art.php?id=29463

oh, and lying sack of twats Nick Griffin suggested that muslamics were burning cars in Walthamstow:

https://twitter.com/nickgriffinmep/status/241998914172116992

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Tee hee hee

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

EndofGoogle posted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2196433/

More bigots making asses of themselves and getting arrested
Seen this dumbfuck around town a thousand times, and his attitude is shared by... far too high a proportion of the populace around here, though they're mostly at least slightly more covert about it. Man, I love my town.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Lamuella posted:

According to various antifa groups, there was a huge reaction in Waltham forest of people telling the EDL to gently caress off:

http://www.schnews.org.uk/stories/DEATH-KNELL-FOR-THE-EDL/

http://socialistworker.co.uk/art.php?id=29463

oh, and lying sack of twats Nick Griffin suggested that muslamics were burning cars in Walthamstow:

https://twitter.com/nickgriffinmep/status/241998914172116992

To be fair (well not really gently caress him) Griffin is just repeating what senior EDL members like Mickey Bayliss (Bristol leader and total fuckwit)were posting on Facebook during the demo. They were making all sorts of claims that they were being attacked by the police and huge gangs of Muslims, and that there was a full scale riot with Muslims burning cars, buildings etc. Its quite impressive that Mickey and co were able to update their Facebook pages while under the sort of attack they were claiming to be under...

http://twitpic.com/aq25o4

they have then carried on this narrative after the event and their members are lapping it up and claiming the reason that there are no media reports about it is not to do with the fact that it didnt actually happen, but that the Muslims and the Left run the media.

British Tim
Aug 27, 2012

by Fistgrrl
Meet Daz Christopher aka Darren Clifft who believes killing is not murder.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Re: The RMT action:

Re: Walthamstow:

If you oppose the EDL you must be a peado, racist, fascist or terrorist. FACT.

Walthamstow is looking like it was be the most humiliating defeat in EDL history.

The facebook pages and twitter feeds were hilarious to watch... One side commenting on how the EDL were penned in, barely able to move and utterly terrified at the overwhelming numbers (Several sources have put the EDL turnout at 500 tops, the Anti-protest had by all accounts double that at least, with one source claiming 4,000.)

Even the EDL were willing to admit that they were outnumbered! And the other side saying that they were hunkered down in bunkers (literally) as a full-scale Muslim-Lefty Allied Force Riot(tm) took place on the streets, with bricks and bottles being thrown, cars burning in the streets and the Police only beating on the patriots. (None of this will make it into the news, of course, Political correctness)

Link to Facebook updates performed in the midst of open warfare in the streets

Other highlights included:

Nice warm welcome

Being utterly paralysed by several sit-down protests blocking their march.

Gettin' so frustrated they turned on themselves (again)

(Dave 'NFSE' Bolton - EDL steward. Not the first time this has happened)

Tommy does a dance and then runs away:

And lot of :qq:

Linked for longness

One fellow's very good write up

Socialist Worker write-up

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Tsk tsk. A gendered slur?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baracula posted:

Tsk tsk. A gendered slur?

and fatphobia :qq:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
"Nick Griffin is a Nazi" does have a lot more clarity

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Just expanding on the Facebook posts someone added earlier:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/01/far-right-support-anders-breivik posted:

A number of rightwing British activists have publicly praised mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik – one describing him as a "role model" – since the Norwegian extremist was sentenced.

Members of the English Defence League (EDL) and the National Front have voiced support for the 33-year-old, who was declared sane and convicted by an Oslo court nine days ago after killing 77 people in two attacks last year.

Kickboxer Darren Clifft from Walsall tried to garner support for a petition to free Breivik last week. The 23-year-old National Front supporter, who posts as "Daz MarxistHunter", left a message on Facebook stating: "[Breivik] is truly inspirational. He sacrificed his life so Europe might be free again from the clutches of Islam and cultural Marxism, multiculturalism and political correctness. I see him as my role model, what every European man needs to be in order for Europe to survive."

Another Breivik admirer, Nick Greger – who, along with EDL founder member Paul Ray, runs Order 777, which claims to bring together Christian resistance movements – wrote on Facebook that the Norwegian deserved a medal "for the groundbreaking performance to blow up his Marxist traitor government building".

Breivik detonated a bomb in Oslo on 22 July last year, targeting government headquarters before embarking on a killing spree on the island of Utøya, where young political activists had gathered for a summer camp.

Greger, a German former neo-Nazi, lives in Malta as does Ray, who reportedly fled the UK fearing arrest for inciting racial hatred.

Several EDL members also appear to offer support for Breivik, including Joel Yossi, a member of the EDL's Jewish division, who revealed that he had been writing to Breivik, who will be detained in Ila prison just outside Oslo for at least 21 years. Yossi wrote: "I have wrote letters to him in prison and he seems he is in high spirits."

The EDL leader, Stephen Lennon, has said that although Breivik's killings were "obviously wrong", the court has helped to legitimise his motives. Lennon states: "By saying that he was sane, it gives a certain credibility to what he had been saying. And that is that Islam is a threat to Europe and to the rest of the world." The EDL, with whom Breivik said he had links, says it is non-violent and opposed only to Islamic extremism.

Hope Not Hate, an anti-extremist group, said the sentiments of a small number of extremists helped to underline concern that the UK was "not immune" to a Breivik-style attack. The group's director, Nick Lowles, said the global network of counter-jihadist extremists meant the ideas that inspired Breivik were still being traded. "Sadly, there are many others at large who share his warped ideology. Seventeen people in the UK with far-right views have been imprisoned in recent years for terrorist-related offences," he said.

A report earlier this year found that 38% of BNP supporters considered armed conflict to be "always or sometimes justifiable". More than 48% believed it was either always or sometimes justifiable to "prepare yourself for conflict between groups" in order to defend the "national way of life".

Hope Not Hate has now set up a monitoring unit to track counter-jihadist activists that they hope will work as an "early warning system" to help identify potentially dangerous extremists. Lowles said it was vital that the government, police and security services began to devote the same level of resources as to other extremist threats.

kim jong-illin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 2, 2012

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Does anyone think we will see more crossover between Ulster loyalists and the EDL in the future? I know the latter is sympathetic towards the former, are terrorist training camps with ex-UDF etc instructors likely?
I'd think that so long as the EDL continue to get marginalised by society we won't have to worry about them taking themselves seriously. So long as the members just see it as a chance to get pissed and beat people up they hopefully won't take things to the level of bombings and assassinations.

quote:

By saying that he was sane, it gives a certain credibility to what he had been saying
Pretty robust logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

British Tim posted:

Meet Daz Christopher aka Darren Clifft who believes killing is not murder.

He loving killed children! What the gently caress?! If I encountered someone like this in real life, I have no idea what would hold me back from trying to purge them. How do you European saints do it?

• Locked thread