Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I wouldn't bother. Bacon fat doesn't add a lot of "bacon" flavor, and it congeals when refrigerated, which would probably give the mayo a weird texture.

I see. That would suck. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Happy Abobo posted:

Nah, it'll break when you defrost it.

Yeah, this is what I figured.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm looking for a good, standard meatloaf recipe, preferably a mix of beef and pork. I'm tired of making tacos and burgers for my lunches and want to mix things up a bit

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Beans don't really soak up flavor themselves - any flavor in a bean dish comes from the matrix of broth/smashed beans that cook down.

1. Use the overnight soak method.
2. Use a lot more seasoning in your beans. Don't use three stalks green onion - use 3 whole yellow onions. Use half a bunch of celery. Use hot peppers and lots of salt. Also cooking destroys the flavor of cilantro so add that at serving time.
3. When the beans are done (they're done when they begin to disintigrate), smash about 1/4 to 3/4 of them into the broth, depending on how thick you want your bean dish to be.

Normal cooking for me on beans (and I make beans a lot) is soak overnight, drain the next morning, refill with fresh water, then cook in a low crockpot for 12 hours or so along with all the aromatics. Smash, stir, serve with whatever else I'm serving. If I'm making white bean soup or something I'll add the ham hock in the morning and I won't be doing much smashing; if I'm making peruanos I'll pretty much puree the entire thing. Etc.

Thanks for the tip, I will attempt this once I finish eating the pound of beans I cooked. What type of broth? canned beef or chicken broth? Of the two, which you recommend for kidney beans?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 31, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

PTizzle posted:

As for spices, apart from those three, I'd add dried chilli powder/dried chillis, garam masala (absolutely essential, a mix of cinnamon, cumin, coriander, pepper, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves, you should have all these individually too), mustard seeds, channa daal/bengal gram (which is a lentil but commonly used in tempering), curry leaves, fenugreek and tamarind paste. You'll probably want both seeds and powders of most of these spices.

Just quoting this again to say I managed to get everything here (including the channa dal!) from Sainsburys, except curry leaves and tamarind paste. I did see curry powder but wasn't sure if that was the same as curry leaves or something different entirely. After getting all the stuff I also found out that there is an asian grocers in the next town, so when I need more stuff I'm going to go there. I'm hoping they sell tamarind paste.

I'm planning on trying out a chicken korma recipe tomorrow and then following dino's basic daal tarka on Sunday.

Question: how should I store ghee? I've seen a lot of recipes that called for it so I got a tub, but I'm not sure if it should remain in the fridge (where it is now) once/until opened or if it can be put in the cupboard.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Colonel Sanders posted:

Thanks for the tip, I will attempt this once I finish eating the pound of beans I cooked. What type of broth? canned beef or chicken broth? Of the two, which you recommend for kidney beans?

By broth I mean what evolves from the water and the other aromatics/beans/etc. I don't use beef or chicken or any other type of meat broth.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

A bit more on beans: if you forgot the pre-soak thing, don't worry too much because you can just cook them straight from dry if you wish. I've done this for pretty much every bean dish i've made recently and they still come out tasting good. This will, however, affect the cooking time. Plan for like an extra hour or maybe 2 if you forgot to soak them.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Do you guys think there is a problem putting veggies (eggplant/long beans) in with the meat for the Vietnamese caramel braise over at the Vietnamese thread (also now on the GWS wiki http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Vietnamese_Braise_in_Caramel_Sauce_(Th%E1%BB%8Bt_kho))

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
My friends and I are roasting a whole suckling pig tomorrow in the oven. We're going to follow this recipe for the most part: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/whole-roasted-suckling-pig-recipe.html

This says it's for a 20 pound pig. The pig we ended up getting from the butcher was 28 pounds. We're planning on using a thermometer to check internal temperature but how much time should we plan on adding to account for this extra weight?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
In Dino's Raajma recipe (http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Raajma) he calls for "5 whole dried or fresh red chiles".

What kind of chiles would these be if I'm looking at a general grocery store?

I can head up to the Indian neighborhood and check the grocers there, but if it's something I can walk 2 blocks to get, that would be so much easier. :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EVG posted:

In Dino's Raajma recipe (http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Raajma) he calls for "5 whole dried or fresh red chiles".

What kind of chiles would these be if I'm looking at a general grocery store?

I can head up to the Indian neighborhood and check the grocers there, but if it's something I can walk 2 blocks to get, that would be so much easier. :)

I'd assume anything long, thin, and spicy. Chile japones or arbol if dry, Thai bird chiles if fresh.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Hmm. Might find arbol at the mexican grocery, don't think I've seen them at the regular store.

I do have dried tien tsin chiles, or I know the store has anaheim dried or japapeno and serrano fresh.

Is there a specific chile that would generally be assumed for use in indian curries?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EVG posted:

Hmm. Might find arbol at the mexican grocery, don't think I've seen them at the regular store.

I do have dried tien tsin chiles, or I know the store has anaheim dried or japapeno and serrano fresh.

Is there a specific chile that would generally be assumed for use in indian curries?

Well, all chiles came from the New World. Funny to think about all those old world cuisines without chiles (like Korean :psyduck:), but yeah. Pretty much any "spicy" type will work just fine for spice. The milder you go on the heat scale the more "fruity" flavors are prominent, so serranos and maybe even jalaps would be fine, but anaheims may not pack enough punch.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I would like to make a big pot of something that I can eat some of, then freeze the rest tomorrow. What should it be, friends? I still have chili in the freezer so meh to chili. I was thinking soup (...of some sort) or daal. Would daal freeze well? Maybe pot roast if daal would get a weird texture.

Bonus points if this giant pot of something is high in protein. :)

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Well, all chiles came from the New World. Funny to think about all those old world cuisines without chiles (like Korean :psyduck:), but yeah.

You pretty much broke my mind with this...

Also, I have some dried birds eye chiles lying around and am not sure what to do with them. I was thinking of making larb with them but I feel like fresh peppers might work better.

vvv Normally when someone on the internet says something that I find completely incomprehensible, I take the time to google and find out the truth. Now however, I don't want to find out whether you're right or not because that poo poo is just confusing.

pogothemonkey0 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 2, 2012

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

pogothemonkey0 posted:

You pretty much broke my mind with this...

Hell, so did potatoes and tomatoes. Where would we be without tomatoes? The new world got really shafted on that whole Colombian exchange thing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Don't forget maize, what pretty much everyone calls "corn" now, is from the Americas, too.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Eeyo posted:

Hell, so did potatoes and tomatoes. Where would we be without tomatoes? The new world got really shafted on that whole Colombian exchange thing.

They got beef, coffee and wheat. I think those alone make up for it.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hawkgirl posted:

I would like to make a big pot of something that I can eat some of, then freeze the rest tomorrow. What should it be, friends? I still have chili in the freezer so meh to chili. I was thinking soup (...of some sort) or daal. Would daal freeze well? Maybe pot roast if daal would get a weird texture.

A gigantic pot of beef stew is sooooooo good the next few times you reheat it because it has more time to meld and become more incredibly delicious. It's also hella easy to make.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

tarepanda posted:

Don't forget maize, what pretty much everyone calls "corn" now, is from the Americas, too.

Squash, tomato, maize, potato, sweet potato, cashew nut, cassava (manioc), quinoa, guava, and more besides are all New World crops.

The history of domestication is fascinating, and my only regret as an undergraduate in archaeology is not taking my postgraduate studies further in that direction.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Don't forget vanilla, avocado, and blueberries! :eng101: Also without phylloxera-resistant vines from the New World, pretty much 99% of all European wine would be nonexistent (nevermind the fact that phylloxera is native to the US).

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Hawkgirl posted:

Daal freezes well! You'll be fine.

When doing Indian food, and you're using dried chiles, get the "chile de arbol" from the Mexican grocer, if you have one. Else, get the generic dried chiles from the Indian store. Frankly, even red pepper flakes will do the job. You want the actual chiles to be lethally hot, but you use them whole so that it doesn't make all the daal screaming hot, and those that like it can take the chiles.

Also, if you prefer fresh, use Thai Bird chiles. Those are the closest variety to the ones I can get in India.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I bought soft silken tofu by mistake, instead of firm. What should I do with it?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fraction posted:

Just quoting this again to say I managed to get everything here (including the channa dal!) from Sainsburys, except curry leaves and tamarind paste. I did see curry powder but wasn't sure if that was the same as curry leaves or something different entirely. After getting all the stuff I also found out that there is an asian grocers in the next town, so when I need more stuff I'm going to go there. I'm hoping they sell tamarind paste.

I'm planning on trying out a chicken korma recipe tomorrow and then following dino's basic daal tarka on Sunday.

Question: how should I store ghee? I've seen a lot of recipes that called for it so I got a tub, but I'm not sure if it should remain in the fridge (where it is now) once/until opened or if it can be put in the cupboard.

Curry leaves are different from curry powder. Curry leaves are whole leaves from a plant; curry powder is a blend of a number of spices which varies from maker to maker but probably has certain spices which commonly occur, like turmeric.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

dino. posted:

BASIC Daal Tarka

2 cups of beans of your choice (or split peas), cooked RESERVE THE COOKING LIQUID
3 TB oil
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp cumin seed
2 tsp coriander seed
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt and black pepper to taste

In a pot, cook your beans. In a separate smaller pot, add the oil, and let it get hot over high heat. When the oil shimmers, sprinkle in the mustard seeds, and slam on the lid or a splatter guard. The mustard seeds should pop like mad. When the popping subsides, lift the pot off the heat, and add the cumin seed and coriander seed. Replace the pot on the heat. When those seeds pop, add the onion and turmeric powder. Stir well until the onions are yellow. Cook over high heat until the onions are softened, and dump into the pot of cooked beans, with as much of the cooking liquid as you like.

Thank you so much for this recipe, dino. I made it tonight (half of the recipe as I didn't want to use all my channa dal at once) and it was delicious. I served it with naan bread, as I wasn't sure whether it'd go with basmati rice or not, and I added a couple cloves of garlic, some tomatoes and a handful or so of peas. I'll definitely be making it again.

Do you (or anyone!) know of any good websites/blogs that have similiar recipes to this? I really don't know where to begin to find stuff, but this was so good that I want to be able to make more meals like it in the winter.

therattle, thanks for the clarification! I'll have to keep looking for curry leaves then.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

therattle posted:

I bought soft silken tofu by mistake, instead of firm. What should I do with it?

Consider it a lucky mistake because silken is so much better than firm :colbert:. Use it in everything. Cubed and simmered in ma po. Cubed then deep fried >350F and tossed in salt, MSG, five spice, minced garlic, and chile peppers. Stew with kimchi and/or seafood and gochugaru. Deep fry and serve with brown sauce, or stir fry with hot bean sauce and eggplant. Puree into smoothies, dips, or sauces.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Well all citrus comes from China and a vast majority of spices are from India/SE Asia, so there's that. I just lol at the term "fusion cuisine" because pretty much every cuisine now is a product of their trade routes, wars, and occupations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mapo it errday rattle. It's what I'm doing tomorrow.

Firm tofu sucks.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Help! I have cod and I don't know what to do with it. I realized after I started thawing the fish that I have none of the other ingredients in the recipe. I was going to use. I've never had cod before and have no idea what flavors/cooking methods compliment it. I have a decent number of spices (skewed towards those used in Italian and Asian cooking) and herbs on hand, but not fennel, thyme, or sage.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Cod with potatoes, clarified butter, chopped hardboiled eggs, freshly grated horseradish and maybe some chopped boiled shrimp and dill is one of the best dishes there is. Just don't overcook the cod.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

dino. posted:

Daal freezes well! You'll be fine.

When doing Indian food, and you're using dried chiles, get the "chile de arbol" from the Mexican grocer, if you have one. Else, get the generic dried chiles from the Indian store. Frankly, even red pepper flakes will do the job. You want the actual chiles to be lethally hot, but you use them whole so that it doesn't make all the daal screaming hot, and those that like it can take the chiles.

Also, if you prefer fresh, use Thai Bird chiles. Those are the closest variety to the ones I can get in India.

Thanks, Dino! I would like to purchase your book. Is there a preferred Amazon link, or do you get more out of it if I send you PayPal or something?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

DekeThornton posted:

Cod with potatoes, clarified butter, chopped hardboiled eggs, freshly grated horseradish and maybe some chopped boiled shrimp and dill is one of the best dishes there is. Just don't overcook the cod.

That sounds delicious. Also, when in doubt, bread and bake (or fry I guess, I hate frying) and eat with tartar sauce.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hawkgirl posted:

(or fry I guess, I hate frying)

:stare:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Does anyone have a good, simple, lasagna recipe without ricotta or Italian sausage?

The closest thing I can find to ricotta at a decent price around me is dry cottage cheese.

I just want to have something lasagna-like tonight.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

:( I always burn myself because I'm lazy about it. It also means I can eat more tartar sauce. Don't hate :cry:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm shopping for a blender that can handle making hummus and pesto while also being able to handle ice. I've been using almonds in my pesto recipe, and our little magic bullet blender just isn't capable of chopping through them. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I'm shopping for a blender that can handle making hummus and pesto while also being able to handle ice. I've been using almonds in my pesto recipe, and our little magic bullet blender just isn't capable of chopping through them. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Vitamix

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

tarepanda posted:

Does anyone have a good, simple, lasagna recipe without ricotta or Italian sausage?

The closest thing I can find to ricotta at a decent price around me is dry cottage cheese.

I hate ricotta, so I always just use bechamel. So: layer of sauce, pasta, sauce, bechamel, pasta, sauce, bechamel, etc, then I top with sliced mozzarella and a shitton of grated parm, as well as ground pepper, red pepper, and whole fresh basil leaves.

If you want a recipe for red sauce, let me know.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

tarepanda posted:

If you can spare enough for the whole milk and have cheese cloth, you can make your own ricotta in about 5 minutes http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/how-to-make-fresh-ricotta-fast-easy-homemade-cheese-the-food-lab.html.

QUESTION: Reading this recipe http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/how-to-make-fresh-ricotta-fast-easy-homemade-cheese-the-food-lab.html, does this mean I can't just steam the rice via rice cooker or the normal process (rice plus water, boil with lid on, let that steam the rice)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm thinking of making masaman curry white beans...... beans, curry paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, onion, garlic

Am I insane?