Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Corridor posted:

Anyway, another question... I'm rewatching the earlier episodes (Sasano :3:) and I was wondering why they pronounce dragon the English way - 'duragon'. It's not like they don't have plenty of dragons in their own culture. Plus the one they were referring to in this instance (Ghosts N Goblins) was an Eastern dragon in any case. I get why they say various game terms like 'gamey obera' and 'continue' and stuff the English way, but 'duragon'?

Foreign words are cool, and dragon seems to be one Japanese people like. See also: Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Heti posted:

So are the ADs basically interns? If so it's just so cool that they get so much screen time and focus. It must feel good to be new to the television industry and be on tv.

It reminds me of the assistants to Adam and Jamie on Mythbusters. There's a synergy and a mutual respect* going on.

* - With the exception of the patient and good-humored AD Watanabe.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Random Stranger posted:

I was talking about the DVD exclusive but I hadn't heard that Tsuruoka was that unpopular. Inoko MAX screws up all the time, though, and they keep inviting him back...

As far as I can remember, Inoko Max never pushed Arino backwards. If anything, he just sort of kept Arino right where he was, but it was entertaining.

I'm guessing it's the sleeping on the job part that could really hurt the most. You got to remember, these guys are working probably a 16-18 hour day during the day of the shoot, and everyone is tired and cranky, and this guy is taking a nap.

So aside from helping Arino, what exactly are an AD's duty? Do they do anything with the production of an episode?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Box of Bunnies posted:

Foreign words are cool, and dragon seems to be one Japanese people like. See also: Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest.

Oh, right. I'm sure they've mentioned those on the show a few times. I suck at noticing things. (Also I've never watched DBZ.)

Davzz posted:

I don't think it is, but Kojima prefers dubbed MGS to the original VA.

Fair enough. Man, it must suck to be Japanese and not get to experience the real Solid Snake. :smug:

Cemetry Gator posted:

As far as I can remember, Inoko Max never pushed Arino backwards. If anything, he just sort of kept Arino right where he was, but it was entertaining.

I'm guessing it's the sleeping on the job part that could really hurt the most. You got to remember, these guys are working probably a 16-18 hour day during the day of the shoot, and everyone is tired and cranky, and this guy is taking a nap.

Pretty sure Inoko Max slept through his train stop once or twice and was late for work. I'm guessing the 'Tsurouka is the worst AD' thing might be like the 'Watanabe is fat and unclassy' thing. It's hard to know how literally to take this stuff when it all gets filtered to me through a mixture of various translations and nerd discussion. They all seem like a fairly informal bunch, compared to what (admittedly little) I've seen of Japanese workplaces.

Speaking of which, what happened to Gascoin Radio? Is that still going? Super pissed I couldn't watch that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

So aside from helping Arino, what exactly are an AD's duty? Do they do anything with the production of an episode?

An AD in general in the entertainment industry does whatever the director needs him to do. It's one of those titles where they could wind up doing just about anything depending on how the production company uses them.

So Gascoin in particular. Obviously they work on the production on shooting days. They do lots of menial tasks during that which people wouldn't even think of. A few examples from episodes: Urakawa and Tsuruoka had to go fetch snacks when Arino mentioned he had a craving for something, Inoue did the countdown to start shooting, and Emoto held up Arino's cue cards for his spiel about how easy the game would be.

Beyond that they're doing other game related stuff on shooting days. The first AD Itou was producing artistic guides for Arino as he was playing so they could fill in gaps when necessary. And because they got wise to problems that could stall production we saw that the second AD Takahashi actually played a parallel game to Arino on a second console in the same room so they could swap out immediately if anything went wrong (I'm not sure when they started that but it seems likely it would be after Inoue's tenure).

In the day to day work for the show the AD's are key people in the selection of the challenge game. They both take part in the decision meeting and have to play the game to confirm that it will work as a challenge. Their recommendations are a big part in what games get used for the show.

(Speaking of that, Kibe is the other person with significant input on the game selection though the AD's are the last step in the chain. I have the impression that he's the one who picks all the really terrible games presumably out of some repressed rage at Arino over not buying more Game and Watch devices.)

Other duties that we know of include running the final episode to Fuji TV and going shopping for the challenge games.

So basically whatever they need a person to do that they don't want to waste someone imporant's time on.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Ah, so it's like any entry job in the entertainment industry. A lot of bitch work, but you got to pay your dues. At least, you get a shot at appearing on TV with a little regularity.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Hey now, let's not forget the surely to be hilarious adult spin-off of the show for when things get "caught up"!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You should read the GCCX comic, it shows a lot of odd jobs that the AD needs to do *game scouting, buying games, playing games, etc etc)

Regarding Tsuruoka sleeping, was this during an episode (or live challenge)? Which was it?

Rose Booties
May 16, 2004

Attn: I am suit
I love that you guys are still working on this after all this time, and that it seems to have really opened up some doors in the industry for you. We get free episodes of an awesome esoteric show, you get jobs and accolades, and Gamecenter CX gets much broader exposure in the west than it ever would have otherwise.

Win win win situation. Rare to see things work out so well. Thanks, and congratulations!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Dunno what is normal in Japan, but I've heard that interns in Western film and TV often tend to get treated like handy slave labour, to the extent that no one even bothers to teach them anything useful unless they luck out with a decent company.

At least the ADs here get to be directors. This is a company where freakin' Inoko Max can start out as an intern, and then move on to direct a popular show and travel overseas to meet his fans while wearing a nighty. :allears:

(The gently caress was that thing anyway, I've never seen anyone wearing one)

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Corridor posted:

At least the ADs here get to be directors. This is a company where freakin' Inoko Max can start out as an intern, and then move on to direct a popular show and travel overseas to meet his fans while wearing a nighty. :allears:

(The gently caress was that thing anyway, I've never seen anyone wearing one)

I think it was just a very large shirt. I have a few 5xb's from back when I was 170lbs heavier and those things are just ridiculous. They make nice shirts to wear when it's cold and you don't want to turn up the heater though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Davzz posted:

I don't think it is, but Kojima prefers dubbed MGS to the original VA.

Who wouldn't? David Hayter is audio chocolate.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Here's something I've been working on that you guys may like. A while back, some guy took a whole bunch of characters from the Touhou Project series of games and made a Game Center CX parody video with them. I decided to translate it and recently the videos were finally typeset. (I may or may not have been inspired by this thread. :ssh: )

For those who don't know what Touhou is, it's basically a magical parallel world somewhere in Japan where mythological beings are still real and stuff. There are a lot of in-jokes about that series in these videos, but there's plenty that those with a knowledge of Game Center CX and games in general should enjoy. Still, the intro after the title is a bit long so if you want, just skip to the actual Game Center CX-ish part starting at around the 4-minute mark.

However, the voices used here are entirely synthesized and the pace is really fast, so it might take a bit of getting used to. The overall sense of humor is a little weird at times too, but that's the internet for you, I guess.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4yry38NgLc

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zncrivDZtfI

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Splatter Faith is available here if anyone is brave enough. :v:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Ineffiable posted:

Regarding Tsuruoka sleeping, was this during an episode (or live challenge)? Which was it?

I think it was during the Quest of Ki Live?

According to the staff he's the "only person to ever make Toujima angry."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

According to the staff he's the "only person to ever make Toujima angry."

I can't imagine Toujima getting angry. I can imagine that he's one of those people who is really nice and genial, really understanding and forgiving, and maybe a little lacking in the spine department, but when you get him angry, all hell breaks loose and you do not want to be that guy. I really wonder what it was that upset him so much.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

If you're wondering where this info is from, it's from the Game Center CX Museum event back in March 2008 (as seen in the Sonic the Hedgehog episode). They answered questions from the audience on stage. I got a brief transcript from it here. Here's my translation:

From left to right: Producer Kan, Cameraman Abe, Director Fujimoto, Director Nakauchi, AP Toujima

"What you'd like Chief Arino to stop doing"

Kan: "He doesn't listen to people. I'd like to him to have a better understanding of things." (note: Unsure about my translation here; need more context...)
Abe: "No matter how many hours he spends, only two of those hours are spent concentrating. All he does is talk to himself."
Fujimoto: "Nothing at all. If I had to pick one... I'd like him to speak up when he truly doesn't want to do something."
Nakauchi: "His mood in the evening. He falls asleep while shooting. When he eats candy in the morning, it means he's drowsy."
Toujima: "I wish he wouldn't doodle on the company's white board. Especially over my notes indicating where I've gone off to."

"The worst AD"

Kan: "Tsuruoka. The accident on Floor 100 during the live show... it was horrifying."
Abe: "Yamada. He fails as a human being." (note: Yamada was an AD for just Season 0, Episode 1. Wonder what happened there.)
Fujimoto: "Tsuruoka. He fell asleep during Floor 98 of the Quest of Ki challenge. Everyone, please go home and check your tapes."
Nakauchi: "Same. Tsuruoka. I saw Toujima angry for the first time ever."
Toujima: "Tsuruoka. He sleeps 20 hours a day. And yet he always says he's sleepy..."

"Favourite episode"

Kan: "Northernmost Game Travelogue. I want to shoot another travel show? with that same concept."
Abe: "Street Fighter II. I've never seen such a pumped up shoot before."
Fujimoto: "Mario World. The first time I saw the Chief work a miracle."
Nakauchi: "Tokimeki Memorial. The shoot was going at the Chief's pace, so it was fun to watch."
Toujima: "Ninja Gaiden. It's my fondest memory!" (Kan: "Even though you were the sun blocker?")

"Least favourite episode"

Kan: "Princess Tomato. There was nothing we could do..."
Abe: "Quest of Ki. Behind the camera, there was an air of doom."
Fujimoto: "Princess Tomato. Everything about it was bad."
Nakauchi: "Super Mario 3. There was a reason behind the all-nighter, but I still regret it."
Toujima: "Super Mario 3. It was hellish..."

"What game you'd like to see challenged"

Kan: "Nintendo games. I'd like to discuss more with them."
Abe: "The Resident Evil series. Arino seems to be good at them, so the shoot might end early."
Fujimoto: "Gegege Kitaro. He was able to clear Sword of Musashi easy, so this would be fun to see."
Nakauchi: "A game the Chief can take his time snarking on, like Tokimeki Memorial."
Toujima: "Mario Kart." (Kan: "You just want to play it yourself.")

"How the games are chosen"

Kan: "I will answer this one. They're mostly chosen in a meeting with Kibe, Sakai, and Fujimoto. We aim for extremely hard NES games. Location scouting is vital to the selection process. The games Kibe choose seem to be his personal favorites, so we're wary of them. Sakai leans toward the more major titles."

More photos from the event here.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 1, 2012

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
I would absolutely love Arino to challenge Resident Evil 1. I can only imagine how hilarious some of the jump scares would be.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Wow, very neat info, thanks for the billionth time for translating this stuff. I didn't even know about the 1 episode, original AD so if Abe is serious(and it seems like he is) then something really, really bad happened there. Makes me wonder if he was already doing AD work somewhere and got moved to that project, hated it, and said something insulting to someone like Kan or Arino and they just fired him on the spot.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

This is AD Yamada:

Only seen in Season 0, episode 1 -- the Taito showcase. Helped Arino with the shooting stage in Takeshi's Challenge. Last seen in the staff credits of Season 0 episode 4 (Sakura Wars) and vanished after that. Toujima is dubbed "the first AD" for some reason. The Japanese fandom refers to him as "The Phantom AD."

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
That Game Center Touhou video got me thinking, it would be totally meta if Mokou ever took a crack at this game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Abe: "Yamada. He fails as a human being." (note: Yamada was an AD for just Season 0, Episode 1. Wonder what happened there.)

He did something to Abe's motorcycle, didn't he. :ohdear:

DaMangoSentinel posted:

I would absolutely love Arino to challenge Resident Evil 1. I can only imagine how hilarious some of the jump scares would be.

I have a Resident Evil promo video featuring Arino. He doesn't play the games, just talks about them a bit and then watches one of the RE movies (I don't know which one off hand since I haven't seen any of them).

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

zari-gani posted:

Toujima: "I wish he wouldn't doodle on the company's white board. Especially over my notes indicating where I've gone off to."

Okay, this is just funny as hell.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Does anyone know if The Game Maker DVDs are worth getting, by the way? Very curious about those, but those Japanese DVD prices...

They're not awful for what they represent, but yeah, I don't think the prices really justify them.

For you or anyone else who doesn't know, the best parts are segments with the ADs (here they're assistants to a pixel-art professor, a la the royal family, voiced by Arino) where they're assigned to complete certain challenges, or visit the featured game companies. Then there's the segments at the end where Arino and Hirai from America Zarigani go through a box of the company's old games and try them out (they also do a commentary track for the whole disc). But other than that, the majority of the discs are game history segments -- much like the mini-segments on GCCX that introduce a game and show some footage, but with more games and much longer stretches of footage without much narration. They're meant to be archival in that way. They also come with booklets that go over the key games covered on the disc and the same creator interviews. It's almost like an alternate universe version of what GCCX could've become, but it's more entertaining if you're more of a general retro game nerd than someone who enjoys Arino trying to beat games or visit arcades.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

This is AD Yamada:

Only seen in Season 0, episode 1 -- the Taito showcase. Helped Arino with the shooting stage in Takeshi's Challenge. Last seen in the staff credits of Season 0 episode 4 (Sakura Wars) and vanished after that. Toujima is dubbed "the first AD" for some reason. The Japanese fandom refers to him as "The Phantom AD."

That guy looks like a slacker. :argh:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Kan: "Tsuruoka. The accident on Floor 100 during the live show... it was horrifying."

What happened with this? I can't remember. I assume he's not talking about the sleeping thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

What happened with this? I can't remember. I assume he's not talking about the sleeping thing.

The warps past level 60 in Quest of Ki take you back to level 61 (I think that's the floor number). There's less than five minutes left in the broadcast. Arino has just made it to the final floor and Tsuruoka walks him into a warp instead of the item needed to win the game. Arino quickly slams reset and everyone is holding their breath hoping that the continue still takes him to level 100. It does and Arino gets the win on Ki was absolutely no time to spare.

Edit: I just reviewed Bonk's Adventure to check the incident and they don't show Tsuruoka's involvement at all in that moment.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 2, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

This is AD Yamada:

Well, if your first day on the job was to play "Takeshi's Challenge," then I think disappearing is a perfectly reasonable response.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

zari-gani posted:

Last seen in the staff credits of Season 0 episode 4 (Sakura Wars) and vanished after that. Toujima is dubbed "the first AD" for some reason. The Japanese fandom refers to him as "The Phantom AD."

He was sucked into the game a la Captain N and the staff were so spooked by the event that they just pretend he was never there. Abe, being Abe, feels the need to scold him for getting too absorbed in games.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

zari-gani posted:

Toujima: "Ninja Gaiden. It's my fondest memory!" (Kan: "Even though you were the sun blocker?")
I'm sorry, this is the most hilarious thing I have heard about this show.

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.
I know the convo has kinda moved on, but I did some assistant directing / producing at Machinima. It's not quite the bitch task it seems, but it's certainly thankless.

Basically when producing any kind of video, there are TONS of people involved. Film editors, writers, audio editors, people that error check the video, deploy the video... basically the raw footage you get goes through tons of hands and tons of steps to be a finished, edited video.

The communication can break down at any of those steps, and people -- god bless em -- they just kinda sit there and do nothing if they hit a snag. A lot of the time, my role would be to basically check on the video at every step in the process and make sure there's nothing stupid holding up production. If a video editor needs a piece of audio, you round it up for him/her, stuff like that.

It's not quite getting coffee, but it's still a lot of gophering.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

The warps past level 60 in Quest of Ki take you back to level 61 (I think that's the floor number). There's less than five minutes left in the broadcast. Arino has just made it to the final floor and Tsuruoka walks him into a warp instead of the item needed to win the game. Arino quickly slams reset and everyone is holding their breath hoping that the continue still takes him to level 100. It does and Arino gets the win on Ki was absolutely no time to spare.

Edit: I just reviewed Bonk's Adventure to check the incident and they don't show Tsuruoka's involvement at all in that moment.

Hahahaha that's amazing. I think Tsurouka just became my favourite AD. A friendly and well-meaning dude who tries his best to help out with songs and dioramas, but just fucks up everything he touches. He's the most outgoing AD too, as I recall... the only one who seems remotely comfortable in front of the camera.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Anyone who can sleep 20 hours a day is a real hero.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

The Tsuruoka stuff makes me wonder if him being relegated to a street performer wasn't a joke...

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Anyone who can sleep 20 hours a day is a real hero.

This reminds me of a blog post from a blog that I certainly got from this thread (or an earlier iteration) about how a lot of folks in Japan consider sleeping a hobby. The blog author I think correctly correlates necessary behaviors like eating, sleeping and going to the bathroom as things that can't be hobbies, but on the other hand, if someone was a gourmand of a particular cuisine, or food in general, yeah, I'd consider that a hobby. Do Japanese folks put sleep in a certain category that westerners don't? A "When in Rome" sort of thing? First blush it sounds kinda silly. Haha.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There was that one guy who's hobby was masturbating.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Chief posted:

There was that one guy who's hobby was masturbating.

I think there is more then one guy....

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Jimmy Colorado posted:

if someone was a gourmand of a particular cuisine, or food in general, yeah, I'd consider that a hobby.

There are many types of foods from all walks of life and cultures, with a million different tastes and methods of preparation. Sleeping is just... sleeping. It's like pooping. Everyone does it, and unless you're ill or something, everyone does it the same way.

Maybe the Japanese equate a hobby as 'something I do in my free time'. They seem to overwork themselves kind of a lot. I'm not surprised most of them want to nap to the extent that they have little time for real hobbies. :(

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 2, 2012

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I neglected to mention that the "director's cut" of GCCX In USA on the DVD isn't thaaat much of one. They did add segments like phoning Nakayama outside Fresno State (because he went there briefly), and quizzing Arino on show facts while on their road trip (they did this in Korea too), but I didn't catch anything added to the scenes from the broadcast version, which really baffles me considering how much they left out of the Wharf and LA visits. And of course Robocop is missing. But I'm still glad they made it, since it's a nice physical keepsake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Corridor posted:

There are many types of foods from all walks of life and cultures, with a million different tastes and methods of preparation. Sleeping is just... sleeping. It's like pooping. Everyone does it, and unless you're ill or something, everyone does it the same way.

Maybe the Japanese equate a hobby as 'something I do in my free time'. They seem to overwork themselves kind of a lot. I'm not surprised most of them want to nap to the extent that they have little time for real hobbies. :(

I dunno. I could see someone who spends a lot of money on his bed, blankets, pillows, etc. for the most comfortable possible sleeping experience as someone who could call sleeping a hobby.

I was shopping for bedsheets on Amazon not too long ago and there were reviewers who took claims about threadcounts and weave types very seriously, offering up the (rather extensive) results of their own obsessive inspection of the sheets under discussion. I feel like someone like that, even if sleeping isn't their hobby, at least has blankets as a hobby.