Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

As much as I loved the last pages found footage discussion (made me go rewatch Incident at Lake County for the nth time), I hate when it comes over just as much cause it reminds me that I've seen every Found Footage film, far as I can tell. It's really strange, knowing you've seen every movie in a certain genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Watched Lord of Illusions on Netflix. That was a fun movie. The effects were crap, but I guess it really fit the theme.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I just got Splatter Farm, Things, Burning Moon and The Devil's Rain in the mail. Tonight's gonna be fun.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

As much as I loved the last pages found footage discussion (made me go rewatch Incident at Lake County for the nth time), I hate when it comes over just as much cause it reminds me that I've seen every Found Footage film, far as I can tell. It's really strange, knowing you've seen every movie in a certain genre.

Surely you haven't seen The St. Francisville Experiment and The Bare Wench Project. Just the St. Francisville Experiment...

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I watched a Korean film called "White" today on Netflix Instant. It was okay- not very scary, but I thought the story was fine. I think the backstory and sociology of Korean pop idols was more interesting than the plot, though.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

WhatAliceFoundThere posted:

Stuff about French horror

Haute Tension is fine, but yeah, it is severely lacking compared to the other films you listed. Martyrs and À l'intérieur are pretty divisive, but I love them both. Just unrelenting. Ils is fairly different from them as it's more built on tension, shadow and sound than outright assaulting you. Frontier(s) is just batshit and I greatly appreciated that. Might be the "funnest" of them to watch, while of course not being anywhere near the best.

Sheitan another good example of the style. It's available on Netflix if you've got that sort of thing. Vincent Cassel is simultaneously menacing as hell and hilarious in it.

While not French films, I'd throw in Calvaire and Eden Lake as films inspired by the style. Eden Lake randomly has Michael Fassbender in it.

Oh and mind if I ask what the project you're working on is? I find the genre really interesting and am curious.

Edit: I always spells "divisive" wrong on the first shot.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 2, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was going to recommend Calvaire, Belgium is close enough. After all, everyone thinks JCVD is French.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

As an isolated clip, maybe. But in the context of the movie where you've been hinted at as to what Mike standing in the corner means, the original ending is infinitely creepier.

Haven't seen the movie in years what does that means again?

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

James Stokoe did a fan movie poster for V/H/S

What the gently caress I need to see this. Oct too far away.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

RBX posted:

Haven't seen the movie in years what does that means again?

You weren't talking to me, but whatever! Early on in the movie, they discuss the fact that Rustin Parr (the child killer) took his victims in pairs. One was forced to stand in and face a corner while Parr murdered the other. Then, the first was killed.

The implication is that Parr's ghost/the Witch/whatever set Mike and Heather as the pair, with Mike in the corner and Heather as the first victim.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What about 84 Charlie MoPic and Manson Family Movies?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WhatAliceFoundThere posted:

So I've decided to properly work my way through the more famous "New French Extremism" horror films, as I've only watched half watched a couple of them.

Started with "Switchblade Romance" (Haute Tension) today and I was enjoying it right up until that stupid twist. I knew a twist was coming due to something I'd read, made a guess at what it was, but when it finally happened it just made so little sense that it actually made me angry.

The film totally lost me for the last act with the wholeconcrete saw/car disembowelment, which is annoying because that is totally the kind of scene I was expecting from this kind of film and it delivered what this "genre" is supposed to deliver well. It's genuinely soured the rest of the film and I like it a lot less than when I was actually watching it.

I assume I can only go up from here? The films that interest me and the order I plan to watch them in are - À l'intérieur, Frontiere(s), ILS and finally Martyrs. I want to watch Frontiere(s) and ILS back to back because they are both linked to a project I'm working on, and I'm saving Martyrs until last because it's the one no one would shut up about.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

Well, keeping in mind the caveat that you're wrong and Haute Tension actually rules, watch See The Sea by Francois Ozon. It rules really hard and is my favorite movie from that movement.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

What do you really like about Haute Tension, LtFrank? As mentioned earlier, I do enjoy it, I'm just not crazy about it. I am always open to another viewpoint on films like it though, and am curious to what struck a chord with you in regards to it.

For the record, I love the cinematography, the performances and the general feeling of hopelessness with a very small sliver of hope in it, but that ending just loses me pretty thoroughly.

Also, never seen See The Sea, but have always made a note to give it a whirl. Is it really that effective?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Watched Lord of Illusions on Netflix. That was a fun movie. The effects were crap, but I guess it really fit the theme.
I really wish that Clive Barker would have continued directing films.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Turns out Texas Chainsaw Massacre is even better than last time I watched it! Who'd've thought?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RBX posted:

What the gently caress I need to see this. Oct too far away.

That fan poster is beyond the actual film in quality. By a lot.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.

Hedenius posted:

I really wish that Clive Barker would have continued directing films.
Only if they're adaptations of the Abarat novels.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

Only if they're television adaptations of the Abarat novels. Imajica and The Great and Secret Show.

Fixed that for me. Unfortunately it'll never happen. :(

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I agree with LtKenFrank about High/Haute Tension. I liked it a lot, and still do. That said, the ending was ridiculous, and almost soured me on the whole film. But the rest of the film was so good, I'll let the atrocious ending slide.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

What do you really like about Haute Tension, LtFrank? As mentioned earlier, I do enjoy it, I'm just not crazy about it. I am always open to another viewpoint on films like it though, and am curious to what struck a chord with you in regards to it.

For the record, I love the cinematography, the performances and the general feeling of hopelessness with a very small sliver of hope in it, but that ending just loses me pretty thoroughly.

Also, never seen See The Sea, but have always made a note to give it a whirl. Is it really that effective?

I mentioned it very briefly earlier in the thread, but what I like about Haute Tension, and particularly its ending, is how it portrays the figures of the vicious male sex-offending serial killer and the "final girl"/damsel in distress as being binary elements of the same being. Basically, within the world of the horror film - and particularly the exploitation/'70s revenge horror film - these two figures rely on each other for their existence. It's very uncomfortable and politically incorrect (the equating of homosexuality with serial murder again, the fact that the lead character experiences violent rape fantasies), but it's drat compelling. The fact that it absolutely cheats to achieve this honestly doesn't bother me at all. It also doesn't hurt that the movie's gorgeously shot and is one of the most tonally genuine of the whole post-2003 exploitation-horror revival. It's not perfect, but its remarkably fully formed for a first-time director.

As to See The Sea, I love that movie. Francois Ozon is great at inflicting unbearable tension slowly brought to a boil (I feel like Ti West must have studied the poo poo out of his films). It also has one of the most purely disturbing and terrifying endings to any modern horror movie I can name.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Dog Soldiers: Perfectly mediocre, won't diminish my love of Kevin McKidd, has a guy fistfighting a werewolf.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Dog Soldiers: Perfectly mediocre, won't diminish my love of Kevin McKidd, has a guy fistfighting a werewolf.

Mediocre? It's got a guy fistfighting a werewolf!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I was going to argue the "mediocre" point and then I realized I actually agreed. :smith:

What's more, I don't think I've ever seen a great werewolf movie. I've seen a few that were flawed or compromised in interesting ways (American Werewolf in London, Company of Wolves) some that are gloriously cheesy (Wolf, Dog Soldiers, Company of Wolves again) and a lot of werewolf appearances in B-rated World of Darkness wannabes (Supernatural, Underworld) but nothing that I'd defend on all its merits. Even the old Universal Wolfman is one of the less memorable entries in the collection.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's still pretty lovely.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There really need to be more good werewolf movies. What is there, aside from the old "Wolfman" movies? An American Werewolf In London, Ginger Snaps, and Teen Wolf?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Company of Wolves.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Howling kicks rear end, almost as much as American Werewolf in London.

I like Dog Soldiers quite a bit. My only complaint with it is that I think werewolves are potentially pretty interesting creatures to make a movie about, but in Dog Soldiers they really might as well be any other generic monster.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Silver Bullet

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think my issue with the whole werewolf canon is the inherent fatalism. I mean, it's not like every modern vampire movie is still a fable about the evils of sex, so why does every werewolf movie end with "there's no cure for being a monster, you're doomed to hurt everyone you love and then die and/or lose your humanity completely."

You know what I'd love to see? Instead of a metaphor for puberty or madness, I'd like to see a werewolf movie about an ex-con trying to reintegrate into society, parallel to his contracting lycanthropy and overcoming both.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

A werewolf movie as an allegory for the 80s AIDS scare would be amazing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Silhouette posted:

A werewolf movie as an allegory for the 80s AIDS scare would be amazing.

Yeah except we already have every vampire movie since 1985.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I remember Ginger Snaps being quite good as far as werewolf movies go.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I remember Ginger Snaps being quite good as far as werewolf movies go.

Ginger Snaps is well-executed but every time I stop and try to figure out what it's saying about growing up or sisterhood I like it less.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so why does every werewolf movie end with "there's no cure for being a monster, you're doomed to hurt everyone you love and then die and/or lose your humanity completely."

An American Werewolf in Paris ends with the guy getting the girl, curing his and her lycanthropy and them living happily ever after.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MrGreenShirt posted:

An American Werewolf in Paris ends with the guy getting the girl, curing his and her lycanthropy and them living happily ever after.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MrGreenShirt posted:

Unfortunately it also loving blows.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

It's not really a horror movie. Unless you considered Idle Hands to be a horror movie instead of just being loving stupid.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mouser.. posted:

It's not really a horror movie. Unless you considered Idle Hands to be a horror movie instead of just being loving stupid.

I've never seen Idle Hands but I have a pretty high threshold for dumb horror comedy. Does it have any redeeming aspects at all?

(AWIP that is, not Idle Hands.)

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Stuff about Haute Tension and See The Sea

That's a very interesting take, but I think the "cheat" will always be a roadblock for me. I just can't get into any subsequent viewings of it because of my complete inability to make the leap it requires. I do agree that Aja's direction is pretty stunning and he's probably one of my 5 favorite current horror directors. I kind of wish he'd get back to original projects, despite LOVING his Hills Have Eyes and enjoying his Piranha take.

See The Sea sounds excellent, thank you for the information. West is another favorite and if he drew an obvious inspiration from it, then I am definately in.

On the werewolf thing, I back up American Werewolf in London, The Howling and Dog Soldiers. It doesn't get mentioned a lot, but I quite like Hammer's The Curse of the Werewolf. The beast doesn't show up till very nearly the end, but he is a fierce looking son of a bitch. Also, the rest of the film is supported by a pretty good story, the usual nice looking Hammer sets and a very good performance by an undoubtedly shitfaced Oliver Reed.

Please don't watch American Werewolf in Paris and get "Mouth" by Bush stuck in your head. Also, the movie is god damned awful and not in a fun way. Well except when he starts changing in the middle of sex and the young lady seems pretty into having mutating wolf cock in her

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

See The Sea sounds excellent, thank you for the information. West is another favorite and if he drew an obvious inspiration from it, then I am definately in.

I don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling one or both movies, but in his segment of V/H/S, Ti West lifts a scene pretty much directly from Sea The Sea. It was the first time I made the connection between him and Ozon, but it really fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's more, I don't think I've ever seen a great werewolf movie.

The trouble with werewolves is the wolf part. The best 'werewolf' movies are like District 9, The Fly, The Thing (1982 and 2011), or even Altered States, and Tetsuo: The Iron Man. Films that compare the beast in man to an insect or something even weirder.

The imagery of the wolf as a rapacious and lustful killer is outdated. That's symbolic imagery, when the fear in these postmodern times is that that meaning is breaking down into chaos. That's why werewolves are, nowadays, the good guys trying to reassert 'traditional values' - as in Twilight 3, where they're heroic pagans standing against the metaphor-for-globalization vampires.

You occasionally get a film or two where they represent mens' fear of female sexuality - but those are pretty stodgy for obvious reasons, unless just played for sheer comedy (as in Dog Soldiers).