Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

okiecompy posted:

Does anyone else's bun act like they're starving all the time? I feed Sam plenty, probably even more than she really needs for her size, but every time I let her out she just climbs all over me begging for food or searches all corners of the room and under everything for food!

Yesterday when she was sitting on me while I was on the phone she groomed my shirt though and that made me feel like she at least kind of appreciates me!

I feel REALLY BAD for my downstairs neighbor. Every morning when it's breakfast time I'll walk over to the buns' bedroom and open the closet. As soon as they hear that noise it's like a switch goes off in their heads. They go from lounging to Bunny 500 mode instantly and jump in and out of the litter boxes, through the cardboard boxes, and the giant himself, Sputnik, sounds like a big dog bounding around.

You'd think the unlimited hay and the tons of fresh veggies from our CSA share would be enough. Nope, they go most crazy for the little bit of pellets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Noise Complaint posted:

I feel REALLY BAD for my downstairs neighbor. Every morning when it's breakfast time I'll walk over to the buns' bedroom and open the closet. As soon as they hear that noise it's like a switch goes off in their heads. They go from lounging to Bunny 500 mode instantly and jump in and out of the litter boxes, through the cardboard boxes, and the giant himself, Sputnik, sounds like a big dog bounding around.

You'd think the unlimited hay and the tons of fresh veggies from our CSA share would be enough. Nope, they go most crazy for the little bit of pellets.

AHAH, now that I think about it she does go so much crazier for pellets than hay or fresh greens. I got her from a pet store (bad I know!) and until I started reading this thread only fed her pellets from the pet store with all kind of stupid sugary treats, and I thought I was being good to her! Now I give her loads of hay at all times and big handfulls of veggies but whenever she hears that pellet container shaking she flips out. She'll even climb over the dog!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Mid-pellet eating

Showing off her dewlap fuzz

Rain storm naptime!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I just want to chime in and have everyone think for a moment how nice it is to have a zoomy rabbit. Gordon was being lazy for a while which was fine, because I knew she was comfortable, but I started to get worried she was bored. So I rearranged the living room and gave her a tunnel.

My bun zooms again. :3:

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Guigui posted:

Our vet did a swab of our 10-year old mini lop's eye discharge (it comes and goes) and just as he predicted there was Pastuerella bacteria. Thing is, she's had it ever since we got her, and I understand it is often passed on close to birth.

Her partner, who was with her for 7 years, strangely enough did not show the presence of the bacteria - despite being the one who cleaned her eyes on a daily basis. Unfortunately, he passed away from a Fibrosarcoma he acquired earlier last year.

I lost my first bunny to fibrosarcoma last year :( A year ago next week.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

We're now fostering another bun!

We went down to a local rescue and took one of the troubled abuse cases. A gorgeous chinchilla bun named Shiloh. She's considered unadoptable because she's just absolutely terrified of people. She was abused pretty badly in her former life.

We just set up her ex-pen and are ready for the long haul to try to socialize her and get her adopted out :)

Pictures to come once we've let her settle down a bit.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 19, 2012

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Anybody else have a bun that's a curious mix of klutzy yet indestructible? Harriet has run into table legs, slid into the wall at high speech, and lept into a lamp and knocked it over, and has shown no sign of being hurt, only embarassment especially when I fuss and freak out

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Anybody else have a bun that's a curious mix of klutzy yet indestructible? Harriet has run into table legs, slid into the wall at high speech, and lept into a lamp and knocked it over, and has shown no sign of being hurt, only embarassment especially when I fuss and freak out

Frith binkies into the wall. Repeatedly. Also, he's really clumsy and a wee bit roly poly so when he sits up to groom his back he often falls over backwards. It makes me laugh hysterically every time, even though I feel so bad for him. :3:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Gordon can only change a zoom trajectory by using a wall or piece of furniture to brake. When she gets going it sounds like a miniature horse galloping, punctuated by muffled thumps and shuffling sounds on the carpet.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro has learned to plan her running trajectories as we have rugs on hardwood. For the most part, this goes well, except when she goes from around the kitchen sink into the hallway towards her room. If she's in a hurry, she won't turn right to the living room rug and then 180 toward her room, she'll try to turn while running on the hardwood.

Black is the safe, time-consuming path.
Red is the pellet-hoarding, traction-lacking monster path.

This occurs on occasion but when it does occur it's always at pellet time.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

So it turns out both my rabbits have Pasteurella. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do now. I keep the guinea pigs and rabbits in separate rooms now, but I'm not sure how well it will work. I keep most of my animals in the room I'm in almost all day every day, but the guinea pigs are off by themselves in a room and I've noticed they seem a lot less active and vocal.
So I guess my question would be, how can I make this work? I want all the animals to be in the same room so they have a bunch of interaction every day, but I sometimes just kind of forget that my guinea pigs are in a different room and augh. The only other room they could be in is my boyfriend's son's room, but he's 8 and I don't entirely trust him with guinea pigs in his room 24/7 (since he is a kid and my guinea pigs are both very nippy, could result in harm to him or the pigs).
So what do you guys suggest? Would quartering them off in the same room be alright or should I leave them in a room by themselves, or what?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

It kind of sounds like the animals would be better off if you rehomed some of them. Sorry. Even if you take a lot of incredibly annoying precautions it'd still be an accident waiting to happen.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I know when I hear a muffled *bonk* and feel claws digging into my leg it means yet another unsuccessful attempt by one of them to jump in my lap when I'm sitting at my desk. God drat it sounds like they hit their heads really hard but they just keep on trying until they succeed.

And yes they always act as if I haven't fed them in like a week. I've had a bunch of people ask me if I never feed those poor little guys. But after seeing them act starved ten minutes after I've fed them, people will know better than that.

By the way a little update on that weird lump I mentioned earlier that Tsjoe had. Antibiotics hadn't seemed to help so I scheduled an appointment to have it removed, just in case. About a day before the scheduled surgery I noticed that the lump had almost completely disappeared. The end result is one oblivious but probably healthy rabbit, and one vet who now probably thinks I'm a time-wasting dick.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

That's what I thought. :sigh:

In bunny-related news, while I was typing this, Decaf and Kahlua got into a very bad fight. I broke it up but in the process got these:

along with scars over my thigh and elbow. Ow. I was being stupid and the combo of small enclosed area + territorial rabbits and no water sprays/bottles was just kind of bad.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

So Debbie just turned 7, and since I can't dress her in humiliating outfits like I do with my cat, I did this instead

She certainly doesn't act her age though, and is just as bouncy and destructive as she was as a baby bun.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Pepper is a dark gray bunny with black nails. I, personally, think her nails are too long, she disagrees. My vet taught me to do a squeeze test by taking the clippers and squeezing the nail before cutting it -- if she bitched, I was going to hit quick. The thing is, once a month when nail time comes around, Pepper only lets me cut off the wee teensiest bit of nail off each claw.

I think I see a sore hock on one foot, but it may be healing up. She has a coroplast floor cage but spends most of her time hopping in a carpeted room.

Point being, is there anything I should be doing for her? Besides buying her some press on nails and calling it a day.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Bean posted:

black nails

Try shining a flashlight behind the nail so you can actually see the quick.

Mortonic
Nov 26, 2007

You Lose.
Starksy & Blue:

Starsky is the older of the two and is a 2 year old, orange butterfly, male Holland Lop.

Blue is 1 year old, blue, female Holland Lop and was 12 weeks when first introduced to Starsky.

When they were introduced, there were very few fights (maybe 3 or 4) and, since then, they have been getting on pretty well (as you can see from the picture). Both are neutered so there is no chance of any little bunnies.

Mortonic fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 23, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Found a Pasteurella-free home for my guinea pigs. But I will still worry incessantly over them. :sigh:

Well at least my mischief maker rabbit is still here. :3:

Decaf has become awfully cuddly and will run up to people for pets and/or snacks.

e: and here's a video of her running around.

Hardwood Floor fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 25, 2012

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

I love that sometimes my buns just know when I need a nosebump.

:3:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Goddamn. I'm so done with other internet House Rabbit communities. I'm so tired of seeing pet store buns, buns in tiny starter cages, buns being fed seeds and whole carrots as food, buns being tranced non-stop, buns being kept in outdoor hutches.

The state of house rabbits in general is absolutely abysmal. Why is it people can't take 10 minutes out of their day to do some research on an animal they're bringing into their home?

I have nothing but absolute respect for those of you that do it daily, like Alucinor.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Ugh I really wish I had the money to get Decaf spayed right now. She's very jumpy and nervous and a bit bitey and territorial.

A friend of mine volunteered to take her, but she barely takes the :effort: to even feed her hamster every day so I politely declined.
I should stop telling people about any troubles I have with my pets, because as soon as I do, that person suddenly becomes a Pet Expert.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bear Rape posted:

Ugh I really wish I had the money to get Decaf spayed right now. She's very jumpy and nervous and a bit bitey and territorial.

A friend of mine volunteered to take her, but she barely takes the :effort: to even feed her hamster every day so I politely declined.
I should stop telling people about any troubles I have with my pets, because as soon as I do, that person suddenly becomes a Pet Expert.

What's a spay cost in your area?

Edit: Whoops, dug up an old post of yours saying $160.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

pseudonordic posted:

What's a spay cost in your area?

$165-ish. It's not expensive but we're about to move into a new house so I'm hoarding as much money as I can until we get settled there.

e: Yeah it's pretty reasonable. the extra $5 was when I got my other rabbit spayed and nails clipped.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bear Rape posted:

$165-ish. It's not expensive but we're about to move into a new house so I'm hoarding as much money as I can until we get settled there.

e: Yeah it's pretty reasonable. the extra $5 was when I got my other rabbit spayed and nails clipped.

Good luck with the move. :3:

If you're still gonna be in SC, hit me up on AIM. I'm in Columbia.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Noise Complaint posted:

Goddamn. I'm so done with other internet House Rabbit communities. I'm so tired of seeing pet store buns, buns in tiny starter cages, buns being fed seeds and whole carrots as food, buns being tranced non-stop, buns being kept in outdoor hutches.

Wait, what's wrong with feeding rabbits carrots from time to time? :ohdear:

vvvvvvvvvv Cool

niethan fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 31, 2012

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

niethan posted:

Wait, what's wrong with feeding rabbits carrots from time to time? :ohdear:

Occasional carrot pieces are fine, but they're candy for rabbits. Cilantro gets a chopped baby carrot maybe twice a month if she's lucky.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

pseudonordic posted:

Good luck with the move. :3:

If you're still gonna be in SC, hit me up on AIM. I'm in Columbia.

One of my rabbit vet buddies just moved down that way. She may be willing to do low cost rabbit S/N. PM me if you want a hookup.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Noise Complaint posted:

I'm sick of seeing tiny little rabbits in pet stores that are like 3 weeks old :( They're going to wind up being loving insane but lookit them little cuties!!! Good lord nobody knows a thing about rabbit care and nobody cares enough to find out. Stay in here where the stupid is kept out.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Is it weird I've only seen one rabbit in a pet store, ever? It was out in the middle of nowhere and they had a caiman too. :gonk:

Also I tried to sign up for AIM but computer issues. I'll send you a message once I get it sorted out, pseudonordic.
If everything goes as planned I could probably get Decaf spayed within the next 3 weeks.

Oh, my grandparents own Kahlua now. They wanted a single, in-house pet to spoil a bunch, and Kahlua seemed like the perfect fit. I gave them the link to the Bunny FAQ site and they're following it to the dot. :3:
Had to do that because she tried to break through her cage to tear up Decaf, and now that they're separated they both are much calmer.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I bought Harriet from a pet store (humane society didn't have any) and it was a half dozen rabbits about 4 months old shoved in a window display way too small for them :smith:.

Fortunatly she shows no behaviour problems and has overcome her shyness to the point of jumping on the couch to smell my friends heads when she meets them.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I've got a bit of a glass house situation here as I did get Billy from a pet store. He was about 7 weeks old at the time and has turned out to be a total sweetheart but I know I lucked out in that regard. If I ever have any kind of need for a new rabbit - say in about 10 years or so, I will absolutely go to a shelter. Aside from the fact that there are already so many perfectly good rabbits in need of a home, there's also the fact that rabbits really don't need to have known you from day 1 to like you. No matter their age they just need to get used to you and know that you're fun to be around and that'll be enough. Plus it's not as if they ever grow out of the hyperactive and cheerful phase. Come to think of it it's probably way better to get an older rabbit as they will be less of a destructive rear end in a top hat if they're over 2 years old.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

What's the general opinion on rabbit breeders? I know a few are in this area. I've seen angoras, Holland lops, dutch, and mini rex rabbits being sold from breeders that have pedigrees for their buns. Is a rabbit from a decent breeder a good investment? I'm used to dealing with rat and dog breeders (the unofficial BYB kind) but I don't really know the situation when it comes to rabbits, if there are any decent breeders out there.

I'm kind of rambling though because I won't get another rabbit until Decaf is spayed and I'm moved into a bigger place. I'm asking because the small animal rescue near here seems to slowly be turning into a cats and dogs only rescue.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Do you intend to breed or show the rabbit? I'm just going to go out on a limb and say buying a rabbit is never a good "investment"

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

God rabbit breeders must be evil geniuses. Get people to pay good money for a thing that destroys all their stuff and hates them while it does it? That's brilliant.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

That's what I assumed, thanks for confirming. :v: I wonder what other rabbit rescues are in this area?

Springly
Dec 10, 2011

Hey housebunny thread, I have a not-my-rabbit question.
My sister's bunny is a little weird. When she lived in her last apartment the bunny confined itself to her bedroom despite being free to go anywhere. The place had hardwood floors but so did the area where the bunny chose to hang out, so I doubt it was just that. Then she had to move, and when she put her bunny down in the new place she put it on a blanket and it just... stayed there :psyduck:.

As far as I know it still hasn't moved more than about 2 metres from that spot, 2 months later. It's completely healthy according to the vet and does normal bunny things, but only within the confines of the blanket. She doesn't look scared even. What's going on?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Springly posted:

As far as I know it still hasn't moved more than about 2 metres from that spot, 2 months later. It's completely healthy according to the vet and does normal bunny things, but only within the confines of the blanket.

I'm guessing the new floor is all tile/wood as well? It's probably a good chance the bunny doesn't like a smooth/slick floor at all, even if it tolerated it at the old place. Has she tried more blankets or some rugs to give the bun more area to get some traction?

I know how silly a really timid bunny can be, my mini-rex will take forever to explore a new room/area, compared to the lop who will have bounced around the room dozens of times by then.

Springly
Dec 10, 2011

The337th posted:

I'm guessing the new floor is all tile/wood as well? It's probably a good chance the bunny doesn't like a smooth/slick floor at all, even if it tolerated it at the old place. Has she tried more blankets or some rugs to give the bun more area to get some traction?

I know how silly a really timid bunny can be, my mini-rex will take forever to explore a new room/area, compared to the lop who will have bounced around the room dozens of times by then.

Thanks, yeah the new place is wood too, really pretty similar. I should have mentioned that.
I figured it could be something like that, but really the bunny didn't care at all about wood before - there were rugs but it wouldn't try too hard to stay on them. I guess maybe with the move it just plain snapped, it's always been pretty timid. I'll tell her to join some rugs together into a bunnyland and see if that works.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Bear Rape posted:

That's what I assumed, thanks for confirming. :v: I wonder what other rabbit rescues are in this area?

Where in SC are you? Petfinder shows quite a few near Columbia.

CharMeck animal control is a bit of a drive but they take great care of their bunnies and s/n them before adoption.

Cullen's Archangel Rescue is in Columbia and has a ton of rabbits, but I don't know anything about them or whether they even vet their rabbits. I do know one person who fostered for them and she found out after taking her in that the rabbit had snuffles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I live in the Greenville/upstate area. Columbia's not too far. CharMeck sounds nice though, I'll check that out. Thanks!

Today I had to move Decaf to a different room because my rats (at the other end of the room) freaked her out very badly. The instant she couldn't see them, she calmed down considerably.