Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yea, this makes a lot of sense. She just comes off really neutral in XIII and incredibly boring. I can't recall even a single line she said during the whole game. Maybe she gets better in XIII-2 , but I haven't played it yet.

Uh I remember a couple

"Worst birthday EVER"
"I'm lightning... It only destroys... You are hope..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

They were talking in that presentation about how Lightning woke up from her crystal sleep in the DLC. Uhh... I don't remember that happening. Did I need to beat it again at Level 10 or something?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Lightning hates Snow for multiple reasons. Yeah, she's being overly mean to him, especially at the birthday, but still...

Frankly, I'd probably have the same response if my little sister was dating some big dumb oaf and said "We're going to be married when we graduate!!!"

I think most guys here probably would too.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Moldy Taxes posted:

They were talking in that presentation about how Lightning woke up from her crystal sleep in the DLC. Uhh... I don't remember that happening. Did I need to beat it again at Level 10 or something?

I think you need to beat Caius within a certain time limit. Then you fight Bahamut, and after you beat him, Lightning willingly turns into a crystal for a stupid reason and wakes up hundreds of years later in a wasteland.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uh I remember a couple

"Worst birthday EVER"
"I'm lightning... It only destroys... You are hope..."

The first is all the English translation.

The second... yeah, that's pretty much one of the absolute worst lines in anything ever. The only excuse I can for them writing something that awful give is that it sounds an iota less ridiculous in Japanese, but only an iota.

Anything involving the character's names in FFXIII is so so bad. :negative:

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Wait, really? I have never heard that she was hot-blooded in the JP version, it's kind of perplexing that SE USA seriously thought that was a good style of voice for her. Especially since Ali Hillis is actually rather talented and could certainly give Lightning a more forceful voice if the ADR director was competent.

She's not exactly like heroic-screaming-all-the-time hot blooded but she's very emotional and angry and in general get riled really easily. She's extremely forward and forceful and a lot of the scenes where she's seeming cold/distant in the English version are more along the lines of "I am doing my best not to get really angry." She eventually progresses towards more generic action-heroism as the game progresses but the same goes for every character.

I can't speak for FFXIII-2. I played the English version there so I'm not sure how they portray her.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 1, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Spermando posted:

I think you need to beat Caius within a certain time limit. Then you fight Bahamut, and after you beat him, Lightning willingly turns into a crystal for a stupid reason and wakes up hundreds of years later in a wasteland.

pretty sure she wakes up in A Dying World.

Also hope is awesome purely because of 13-2.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Cityinthesea posted:

Also hope is awesome purely because of 13-2.

He would have been awesome if the game ended when he gets killed by the Augustia tower robots. If I was the director, I would roll the credits right there, with that cutscene looping in the background to the tune of Rihanna's "We found love in a hopeless place".

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Lightning is a loosely a 'female Cloud' through her design, not personality, etc.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Also that part in Advent Children where Cloud puts on a skirt made of feathers and rides a horse.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 1, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like Lightning cause she's legitimately pretty cool and not a complete tool like other protags. I'd be lying if I said her being female had nothing to do with it, and I'm wondering exactly how female fans in general see her and why she's so popular with them. (Maybe it's the Jolie effect? :v:)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Star Ocean's battles were loving awesome, so this is an entirely positive development for me.

Star Ocean's battles need to add in mutliplayer. SO4 had me so hopeful of it being like a Tales game. :sigh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oddly enough, Lightning came across to me as the most androgynous FF protagonist. Or maybe that's not quite accurate; ridiculously short skirt aside, she struck me as "genderless"; neither masculine or feminine to any noticeable degree. And I kinda liked that.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So... Lightning is similar to Cloud because... Nomura can't design new clothings for his characters?

I'm not really sure how I feel about this LIGHTNING RETURNS crap. During that reveal presentation, lines like "The black and white colors of this world represent darkness and light." just screamed :hurr: I guess I was pleasantly surprised by XIII-2 going in blind so maybe I'll try the same thing here? Also, it sounds like I need to get the DLC if I want to see how Lightning RETURNS hundreds of year later in a completely different area we haven't seen yet or whatever is going on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I like Lightning cause she's legitimately pretty cool and not a complete tool like other protags. I'd be lying if I said her being female had nothing to do with it, and I'm wondering exactly how female fans in general see her and why she's so popular with them. (Maybe it's the Jolie effect? :v:)

There's not a lot of clear answers. It seems to be pretty individual from what little I've found.

One thing that might be important to note is that she's a female protagonist without a love interest whose motivation isn't "I want a love interest" or "My love interest is missing." That makes her pretty unique, at least as far as JRPGs go.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 1, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ShadeofDante posted:

So... Lightning is similar to Cloud because... Nomura can't design new clothings for his characters?

More likely he was told to "draw a female Cloud" so he intentionally made her similar.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Apparently someone floated a question about FFX HD at the 25th anniversary event and was met with 'no comment.'

It's never going to come out :(

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Harlock posted:

Apparently someone floated a question about FFX HD at the 25th anniversary event and was met with 'no comment.'

It's never going to come out :(

What? Who even gives a poo poo? This event is about Lightning, baby!

And I guess our hella expensive box set too.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dr Pepper posted:

More likely he was told to "draw a female Cloud" so he intentionally made her similar.

Her older model has a more masculine face, which did/doesn't help comparisons, as it was basically Advent Children Cloud's, but in drag.

Compare the face on her older model to her newer one:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

I can't recall even a single line she said during the whole game.

This might jog your memory.

(By capslocksaurus in dick cheese and wateyad's LP thread)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I like Lightning's character. Sure, she's stoic and a bitch, but considering the people she's surrounded by, it's completely justified. The problem I have with calling this the Lightning Saga though, is that she literally does not matter as a character in the first game. Yes, she fought and stuff, but anyone at all could've done this if they had been made a fal'cie. I don't know a lot about her in the next game, but apparently she's some kind of god, which really contradicts the whole no lords, no masters thing from the last game. Square is pretending she was more prominent than she actually was.

(Also, "Worst birthday ever" and "We're pets" are both amazing lines.)

precision posted:

Hope is a good character because he actually has an arc and goes from being "whiny little poo poo" to somebody I actually liked. I was really surprised by that.

The problem with Hope is that he goes from whiny poo poo to absolutely nothing. I dare you to name what Hope's personality is like after he's gotten past his mother. That's a problem pretty much every character has, but Hope is the worst off because he was annoying to begin with. There's also the question of why he's even there. Why would Bartandelus decide a 12 year old boy is the best choice for carrying out the plan?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey, when Barthy thinks up a plan and some little poo poo 12-year old gets caught in the mix, he's not gonna be like "WELP TIME TO START OVER", he rolls with the punches like any good sported villain.

Rygorous
Apr 23, 2008
I don't think the Fal'cie were even capable of understanding people and that age mattered. They were just ageless god machines who used humans to do their dirty work.

I hope some of them are still around in the new game. I missed big buddy Titan in XIII-2.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
If Titan does return, you better get to fight him this time. The one little bit of optimism I had going through those 60-something goddamn repetitive fights in the pretend Calm Lands was that the final one would be taking him on. Would've been more worth it than "have new turtles to grind on! An actual reward? Oh right, um... here an accessory you'll never use."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So I've decided to do yet another solo-character challenge, this time with FF6. Instead of sticking with one character, though, I'll be switching up each character I solo with depending on the party.

I actually had to use magic in the intro with Terra, and got nearly one-shot by the mammoth enemy's blizzard-like attack. I actually got a Game Over during the "Save Terra" sequence, as the Marshall is pretty tough for Locke, especially with Stop, so I let Locke tackle the first few groups and then let Mog solo one to kill his party and then take on the boss himself. It's not like Edgar needs that Pike.

I was going to let Terra take on the Magitek Armor, but she died before I could kill Edgar, so I just let Edgar wipe them out in two turns because he's loving Edgar. He made easy work of Figaro Cave. I'm about to do Mt. Kolts with Edgar, and right now my biggest worry is having to solo the Lete River as Banon. At least he has free healing!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody should totally upload a prepatched version of FF5 Ancient Cave because Jesus Christ every time I patch ROMs something goes wrong.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Somebody should totally upload a prepatched version of FF5 Ancient Cave because Jesus Christ every time I patch ROMs something goes wrong.

Same. I want to play it but having trouble with it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's a bit tricky, but the key is that the Japanese ROM needs to be headerless to work properly. Get something like SNESTool and use the option to delete the header of the original ROM, then try patching the original Ancient Cave patch first and make sure it works. If it does, then patch the translation. It takes a bit of screwing around, but hopefully it'll work after that.

Another thing to note, this is for the SNES version, since I saw people in one of the threads of that site posting thinking it was for the GBA version.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Wouldn't be a shitload easier to just pass around the patched ROM? Then only one person needs to do it, as opposed to thousands of people. Always confuses me when that happens. Old ROMs are fine on the SA forums anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Idioteque Dance posted:

Wouldn't be a shitload easier to just pass around the patched ROM? Then only one person needs to do it, as opposed to thousands of people. Always confuses me when that happens. Old ROMs are fine on the SA forums anyway.

A lot of places are ok with talking about ROMs and linking to ROM patches as long as you don't link the ROM itself.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Momomo posted:

I like Lightning's character. Sure, she's stoic and a bitch, but considering the people she's surrounded by, it's completely justified. The problem I have with calling this the Lightning Saga though

I less bothered by Light's core personality (at least I wouldnt say bitch cause eh) since they seem to go out of their way with establishing she leans to the Squall side of things than the Zidane side, if ya follow me. (It IS kinda dumb they don't immediately play her off some dorky fun character for a early long amount of time to soften this image but w/e) ANd it's pretty obvious naming the arc after her is damage control for not realizing she's the most popular thing in the game's whole mess, and it should have rightly focused on her if even from a business/design standpoint.

Actually the Squall thing is a good comparison, cause that's another game I remember not giving a poo poo about the side characters much and the dev team outright admitting most of the game revolved around the single main character. Trouble is, when dev companies bank on the coolness of their lead they tend to go way overboard and neglect everyone else.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Final Fantasy Dimensions came out on iOS on Friday. Anybody take a risk on it and have some impressions, or am I going to have to take the plunge?

Elsewhere I have heard some positive noises about the early chapters: it seems like an ugly port of a good game, but there's plenty of time for it to go pear-shaped.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Final Fantasy Dimensions came out on iOS on Friday. Anybody take a risk on it and have some impressions, or am I going to have to take the plunge?

Elsewhere I have heard some positive noises about the early chapters: it seems like an ugly port of a good game, but there's plenty of time for it to go pear-shaped.

I haven't played it, but the first chapter is supposed to be free so there's not much risk in taking the plunge.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Zidane's steal rate vs bosses is really annoying before you get Master Thief.

Felk
Jun 25, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

It's actually a lot better than I was expecting, I had a gift card laying around so I figured I'd give it a try. The main draw is the battle system which is basically a combination of 4 (5 party members) and 5 (job system). The job system has an extra step now where you can raise your max job level with JP you get through story events, but I'm not sure if there's a limit to how high it goes.

The story's very SNES era, with the empire and some of the plot points. I'm only about 8 hours in, but judging from how many chapters are left I'd say an average playthrough might take 20 hours.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Maybe it's just me but Dimensions looks a fair bit better on the screen then it does on screenshots.

But yeah, from what I've played of it it feels like a good game that, at worst, got some bad graphics.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I am trying not judge people who bought Final Fantasy Dimensions at full price but, I'm finding that to be a very, very hard task. :(

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I can't believe I'm asking this because I swore it wasn't even worth looking at but what's the deal with Dimensions on Android? I'm not seeing on Google Play or anywhere, and on the official SE website it only lists availability for iOS devices.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I can't believe I'm asking this because I swore it wasn't even worth looking at but what's the deal with Dimensions on Android? I'm not seeing on Google Play or anywhere, and on the official SE website it only lists availability for iOS devices.

Square has an android market of their own for Japanese releases and for some stupid reason relating to that they delay android releases overseas by an absurd amount.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I'm playing FFIV DS and yeugh. Stuff like the encounter rate, long-rear end dungeons, constant party changes and occasional bullshit enemies is bugging the hell out of me. Not to mention I tried to figure out the whole deal with augments and damned if I can figure that out - everybody has to have a certain augment at a certain time or else it's wasted or something like that? It's not like they're common enough to actually make a difference, anyway, but it just seems really obnoxious to me.

The game's kinda obtuse and stilted at times. Am I missing something, or...?

Winks posted:

Square has an android market of their own for Japanese releases and for some stupid reason relating to that they delay android releases overseas by an absurd amount.

Haha Square's a lovely company :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

So I'm playing FFIV DS and yeugh. Stuff like the encounter rate, long-rear end dungeons, constant party changes and occasional bullshit enemies is bugging the hell out of me. Not to mention I tried to figure out the whole deal with augments and damned if I can figure that out - everybody has to have a certain augment at a certain time or else it's wasted or something like that? It's not like they're common enough to actually make a difference, anyway, but it just seems really obnoxious to me.

The game's kinda obtuse and stilted at times. Am I missing something, or...?

Really important - have you played vanilla FFIV to completion? The game is actually meant as a nostalgic trip back for veterans rather than an introduction to FFIV.

If you have played FFIV, think of the DS version as a strategic puzzle game to figure out the correct strategy for random encounters and bosses. You'll need to use all your resources in any given battle - including buffs/debuff spells and items as well as augments and new abilities and even (at times) the auto battle system.

As for augments, the basic way they work is as follows: Throughout the game, characters will be joining and leaving. When a character (that is not one of the five in your final party) leaves, they will give you one, two, or three augments, depending on if you've given them zero, one, or two or more augments respectively. You will also gain augments due throughout the plot and occasionally as treasure from sidequests.

Augments have three purposes. They are abilities to use in battle, they aid in getting other augments by giving them to temporary characters, and they affect character stat growth for levels above 70.

If you're only playing to have fun, go ahead and go nuts with augments. Give them to whoever, experiment, and just have fun. Try to slap at least two on most characters so you don't miss any, although save the better ones for your final five party members, who are Cecil, Kain, Rydia, Rosa, and Edge. If you're a FFIV vet and are interested in multiple playthroughs with min/maxing your party, get a guide. Seriously, there's no other way if you're a completionist.