Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm pretty sure she said something before Kirito cut her off in the novel.

That said, I look at Heathcliff and all I can think is the lyrics to that old cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Alright, that was just bullshit. "Hey, I was granted a secret skill because I am special", gently caress that poo poo. I liked the series because Kirito would always see the world for the game that it is, and try to exploit the mechanics for maximum efficiency.

I would be fine with him gaining his "special power" due to some weird bug that is hard to reproduce or something, but a hidden skill that is randomly assigned to a single player just ruins the whole consistency of the gaming world for me.

Oh well, I can still enjoy the fact that both the gung-ho army dude and the self-important guild leader were guys who just a year ago bought a limited edition MMO at launch date :allears:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Rexides posted:

Oh well, I can still enjoy the fact that both the gung-ho army dude and the self-important guild leader were guys who just a year ago bought a limited edition MMO at launch date :allears:
All the Army guys looked really old -- I would have thought they'd be teens like Kirito and Asuna or young men like Klein. They looked 30'ish.

Having read the light novel, I can see where the anime takes "short cuts" to send the same information to us but with far fewer (or no) words. They don't really explain the ALO (Army) in the anime like the light novel does, but you get the idea pretty much right off.

Sindai posted:

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by that too. I'd really started to like Asuna after the way she threatened Kirito with a butter knife last episode.
As I indicated, there is more in the light novel that in the anime. I am pretty sure also that Asuna has a lot more to say about the situation with her guild than is shown in the anime. Although, Kirito does agree to the duel with Heathcliff rather abruptly without consulting with Asuna first.

I know in "normal" game guilds, people come and go pretty easily. If you're unhappy with a guild, you open the menu and simply drop the guild membership. Bye bye. If someone doesn't like that, too bad.

I would imagine it's pretty different in SAO because of the permanence of things. Reputation is everything in most MMOs as it is, and that's magnified by the SAO situation. As a result, you can leave a guild, but the impact could be extremely detrimental to a player if they leave on bad terms (no groups in the future with that guild, etc. -- even possibly making the person Kill On Sight for any guild member).

So, we can assume Asuna has to be very careful. She's likely given a lot to the guild but also benefitted from it. She can leave, but not easily.

We do learn later on why Kirito was granted the dual wield unique ability. It makes sense and also sets up the overall tone for the additional light novels involving Kirito and the other VRMMOs he plays.

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D
She was hugging him for a creepy amount of time.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Alca posted:

She was hugging him for a creepy amount of time.
Well, her best friend/crush almost died right in front of her. That's reasonable.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

"What was the loot???!?!?!"
:goonsay:

it was me, I am the goonsay

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's okay, you're not the only one.

I was hoping he'd get a second black coat this time, so he could wear both and look twice as cool. :c00lbutt:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

"What was the loot???!?!?!"
:goonsay:

it was me, I am the goonsay

The novel didn't go into it, only saying that the loot was sold off and the procedes divided between everyone.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

The novel didn't go into it, only saying that the loot was sold off and the procedes divided between everyone.

Just how Lt. Col. Corbatz would have wanted :qq:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The dude is overleveled enough to solo a boss on level 74.

Nothing he dropped could have been of use.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sindai posted:

It's okay, you're not the only one.

I was hoping he'd get a second black coat this time, so he could wear both and look twice as cool. :c00lbutt:

I can't remember where it's noted but he's transmuted the coat four or so times to keep the appearance over armor upgrades.

Dexo posted:

Well, he didn't quite solo the boss entirely. Goes to show how different the game would be if it wasn't a death game. The reason they progress slowly and do boss fights with tons of people is minimize risk.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
After Kirito defeated the boss, it kept nagging me on how he didn't drink a health potion even though he was at a sliver of health. If he wasn't the main character, I would have expected something to come finish him off.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Zettace posted:

After Kirito defeated the boss, it kept nagging me on how he didn't drink a health potion even though he was at a sliver of health. If he wasn't the main character, I would have expected something to come finish him off.

The room had a no crystal trap, which includes healing items, I believe.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥

Dexo posted:

Yet hes been using the same coat since floor 1. By this I'm assuming this game has less of a level based itemization system like you might be thinking of and more of a system where if it's rare and good enough, it can be used for the rest of the game. Which probably holds true since things like bosses don't respawn.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Zalgo posted:

Yet hes been using the same coat since floor 1. By this I'm assuming this game has less of a level based itemization system like you might be thinking of and more of a system where if it's rare and good enough, it can be used for the rest of the game. Which probably holds true since things like bosses don't respawn.
I think he's using the equivalent of Warcraft's Transmog option which lets you make whatever gear you have, look like whatever you want it to.

Either way, his coat has been changing slightly, I'm just assuming he's getting these coats and just dying them black every time.

Instead of speculating I'll wait for someone who's read the light novels :v:

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 3, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Isn't the coat a cosmetic item? That's why he laughed at the loot on the first dungeon as it wasn't useful at all. I'm guessing that as a cosmetic item it would cover-up any gear he wears. It would also be really useful for hiding his level as his gear wouldn't show.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Apparently it says somewhere in the novels that he's been using a complicated item combining / creation process to retain the look of his original coat with all his upgraded armour. I don't remember precisely where I read this, though.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
It's mentioned in the side story Sound of Water, Sound of Hammer, that his current coat is the fourth crafted one that he has had made by a tailor. They are considered leather armor and if you watch some of the earlier episodes he has had 5 coats so far including the very first one which was a boss drop. The name of the tailor that has been making his coats is Ashley and she is apparently in the same crafting town as the girl who made his sword.

edit: Rereading the chapter the info is from, apparently his current coat is made from black dragon leather and was so hard to make he needed a top level crafter to make it.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 3, 2012

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

The room had a no crystal trap, which includes healing items, I believe.

Volume 1, Chapter 12 of the light novel: She shoves a healing potion in his mouth. The anime does not show this act. It bothered me too.

Honestly, the biggest thing that bothered me is that in the original light novel, while Kirito never actually states this, it indicates that he hid his dual wield ability from everyone. Then, in the side-story and in the anime, we learn that he actually showed it to Liz. I don't know why, but that kind of inconsistency bothers me also.

The light novel side story about Liz making his sword was a lot better than in the anime too. When Kirito and Liz fall down the dragon hole, in the anime, it seems like they fell, Kirito grabbed Liz and protected her by falling first and having her land on him. That's what it seemed like to me. In the light novel, he actually digs his sword into the side of the hole to break their fall. In both, they end up at the bottom with significantly reduced HP but alive.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Dan7el posted:

We do learn later on why Kirito was granted the dual wield unique ability. It makes sense and also sets up the overall tone for the additional light novels involving Kirito and the other VRMMOs he plays.
I'm guessing it's because he used a one handed sword with no shield for long enough. As long as it isn't something like "the omnipotent creator is watching and bestowed it on him personally."

Also, I figured by the time he came to his combat regen would already have him back from the verge of death. Wait, that probably only works in combat. They could have easily fit in taking a potion but it didn't bother me much.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
No, but there was a clue for what the requirement was to unlock Dual Wielding in that scene.

It just isn't really obvious except in retrospect. Suffice to say, it wasn't something bestowed upon him by a conscious force, and it makes perfect sense when you look at everything.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
I doubt it, but it'd be funny if dual swords just has a level requirement and Kirito just reached it first because he never shares exp and just spends most of his time killing things instead of Socializing or waiting to form a group.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Obviously you get the skill if you solo long enough because clearly you need the extra sword.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Alectai posted:

No, but there was a clue for what the requirement was to unlock Dual Wielding in that scene.

It just isn't really obvious except in retrospect. Suffice to say, it wasn't something bestowed upon him by a conscious force, and it makes perfect sense when you look at everything.

Oh! I've got it, you have to carry a nice 1h around for a while without using it. I can't think of any other potential clues, so spoilered JIC.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I did some quick scans of the previous episodes, thinking he was inadvertently using his sword ambidextrously, but alas the only shot I saw of him using his sword in his left hand was probably just an animation error. (It was while he was flying through the air fighting the dragon back in the Dragon Poop episode).

It's probably something straightforward, like he maxxed his Parry skill or something.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dan7el posted:

The light novel side story about _____ was a lot better than in the anime too.
This is pretty much how I feel about the series so far. It seems that whenever somebody brings up some odd point of the series, the reply is usually, "it was explained in the light novel." Much of the plot and character development is in the non-spoken sequences of the narrative, and the anime hasn't really bothered at all to try and show these sequences to the audience. In the murder mystery episodes, I remember being really disappointed when (novel spoilers) they cut out the entire game mechanics discussion with Heathcliff, and the scene where they discussed food and player habits while trying to track down Grimlock.

It gets really absurd when they seem to cut out plot elements then forget that they did it. In episode 7, (novel/anime ep 9 spoilers) the novel side story has Kirito show Lisbeth his dual wielding skill before Asuna comes in. They cut that entire scene out of the anime. Normally I wouldn't care, but then they had to add that extra little scene with Lisbeth in episode 9 where she makes mention about having known about his skill all along. They've already established that Kirito was secretive and implied that he never told anyone of his skill (as volume 1 originally explained). I mean, sure, whatever, you could say that she learned of it later on after episode 7 and we never got to see it. But at that point all you are doing is needlessly writing bad plot where bad plot never existed. If you are going to change the plot, stick with it. Don't keep convoluting things.

The light novels weren't perfect, and the side stories written later sometimes slightly contradict the earlier stories. But they should be taking the time to fix these little inconsistencies, not ignoring plot and creating new inconsistencies. I feel the series would have been better if they weren't trying to shove the first two four volumes into one season and instead spent the time to develop the plot more.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 3, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Nalin posted:

It gets really absurd when they seem to cut out plot elements then forget that they did it.

It's worth noting that to meet production deadlines and episode timeslots, studios sometimes cut parts of scenes from the script out of the broadcast and complete them for DVD release. Not that this necessarily happens universally, and generally the scenes can't really be plot-important, but it is what it is. Maybe it'll be in the Japanese BD/DVD release?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

AnacondaHL posted:

I did some quick scans of the previous episodes, thinking he was inadvertently using his sword ambidextrously, but alas the only shot I saw of him using his sword in his left hand was probably just an animation error. (It was while he was flying through the air fighting the dragon back in the Dragon Poop episode).

It's probably something straightforward, like he maxxed his Parry skill or something.

Being ambidextrous in real life is my guess.

It's rare enough that only 100 of the original 10000 would have it. Then if you cut that down to only people on the frontlines being capable of learning it before the skill is revealed, that only leaves a few others that could possibly have learned it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Nalin posted:

It gets really absurd when they seem to cut out plot elements then forget that they did it. In episode 7, (novel/anime ep 9 spoilers) the novel side story has Kirito show Lisbeth his dual wielding skill before Asuna comes in. They cut that entire scene out of the anime. Normally I wouldn't care, but then they had to add that extra little scene with Lisbeth in episode 9 where she makes mention about having known about his skill all along. They've already established that Kirito was secretive and implied that he never told anyone of his skill (as volume 1 originally explained). I mean, sure, whatever, you could say that she learned of it later on after episode 7 and we never got to see it. But at that point all you are doing is needlessly writing bad plot where bad plot never existed. If you are going to change the plot, stick with it. Don't keep convoluting things.

They obviously cut that part out because in the novels, the floor 76 boss fight (where said skill is reviewed) comes earlier than the Lizbeth side story. Since the anime is in chronological order instead, they had to cut it out to avoid spoiling it before the point when it was meant to be revealed.

But yes, the novels sound interesting. I wish they had a readable translation.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

My main gripe with the series is how unimportant everyone except Kirito feels. Asuna for example was shaping up to be a pretty cool character but then nope now she's just downgraded to girlfriend/female in distress status for the rest of the novel/series. I get that Kirito's the protagonist, but Asuna might as well be some random object Kirito needs to acquire for how important she feels sometimes (this is the entire plot of novels 3-4).

Entire characters are set up and given personalities and ambitions and then they just kinda trail off after a while because Kirito showed up and no one's allowed to be better than him, ever. The novels dealing with GGO are a perfect example, the other person the book is centered around is shown to be a very competent player, in the top 30 or so for the whole game but as soon as Kirito shows up it all just goes out the window. Sure, you could argue that it's reasonable in that case given the circumstances but it feels like it happens to everyone.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Xythar posted:

They obviously cut that part out because in the novels, the floor 76 boss fight (where said skill is reviewed) comes earlier than the Lizbeth side story. Since the anime is in chronological order instead, they had to cut it out to avoid spoiling it before the point when it was meant to be revealed.

But yes, the novels sound interesting. I wish they had a readable translation.
Floor 76? They just beat the 74th floor. Which side story dealt with that event? I don't remember which side story you could be referring to.

Wrist Watch posted:

My main gripe with the series is how unimportant everyone except Kirito feels. Asuna for example was shaping up to be a pretty cool character but then nope now she's just downgraded to girlfriend/female in distress status for the rest of the novel/series.
Yeah, I agree. It is definitely one of the low points of the series. The series does a lot of things well, but the author is really quick to just toss away characters. Klein is one of my favorite characters, but he pretty much only exists to make cameos nowadays. Asuna, a very important character in the series, is always getting stiffed. It is all about Kirito. The main saving grace for me is that Kirito is a likable protagonist and miles better than most any protagonist you can find.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Nalin posted:

Floor 76? They just beat the 74th floor. Which side story dealt with that event? I don't remember which side story you could be referring to.

I meant 74.

I believe the entirety of Warmth of the Heart / The Heart's Heat / whatever is a side story from volume 2, isn't it? Where he meets Lizbeth and gets Dark Repluser forged.

I could be wrong as I haven't actually read the books, but I was told that in the books it's covered after his ability was already revealed, which means that the events of ep 9 in the show are presented to the reader before the events of ep 7.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
God Books 3 & 4 are amusing.

It's always a laugh to me when the Final Boss is defeated due to his own laziness.

Plus ALO is a better game.

But yeah the plot execution is not very good.

Xythar posted:

I meant 74.

I believe the entirety of Warmth of the Heart / The Heart's Heat / whatever is a side story from volume 2, isn't it? Where he meets Lizbeth and gets Dark Repluser forged.

I could be wrong as I haven't actually read the books, but I was told that in the books it's covered after his ability was already revealed, which means that the events of ep 9 in the show are presented to the reader before the events of ep 7.

Yes.

Volume 1, is the Basic Story. It essentially jumps from episode one to Episode 8.

Volume 2, Is a collection of Side Stories. writen after the fact because the first book was too long for the contest the author was writing it for as it stood.
V2 contained (The Black Swordsman, Warmth of the Heart, Morning Dew Girl, Red-nosed Reindeer)

With Morning Dew Girl being the only one we haven't seen yet as it takes place after these next few episodes.

Volumes 3 & 4 are Fairy Dance.

Volumes 5 & 6 is Gun Game Online.

Volume 7 is Mother's Rosario

Volume 8 contains the other two SAO Side Stories we have seen. First Day and A Murder Case in the Area.

After that is Alicization, which is some weird story.

In Short Kirito probably should stop playing Online Games.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 3, 2012

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Xythar posted:

I meant 74.

Yes, that is true. The side story came out in volume 2. I was fine with them removing the scene, since, as you said, it would spoil the reveal. My main complaint was that they then pretended that the scene happened without so much as a "sure, I'll share my secret *fade to black*" in episode 7, which, along with the scene with Asuna in episode 9, would foreshadow the reveal. Instead, they reference the removed scene with a single line of dialog that is out of place in the story. If you are going to remove a scene, remove it. Don't try and make the show confusing to the people watching it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Maybe it's just me, but I thought it would be more dramatic if Kirito had actually died fighting the boss, but was saved by Klein using that one-shot "revive anyone who died (within 10 seconds of death)" item we saw a few episodes back. Or does that item come into play later on?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I guess technically that item doesn't exist since it was added in a side story after the main one?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nalin posted:

Yes, that is true. The side story came out in volume 2. I was fine with them removing the scene, since, as you said, it would spoil the reveal. My main complaint was that they then pretended that the scene happened without so much as a "sure, I'll share my secret *fade to black*" in episode 7, which, along with the scene with Asuna in episode 9, would foreshadow the reveal. Instead, they reference the removed scene with a single line of dialog that is out of place in the story. If you are going to remove a scene, remove it. Don't try and make the show confusing to the people watching it.

That was probably just an easter egg or a nod to the people that have read the novels.

It's not really confusing. It just means that one other person knews that Kirito can Dual Wield.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Demicol posted:

I guess technically that item doesn't exist since it was added in a side story after the main one?

There's that, true, but unless they use it later it reeks of wasted potential. The average viewer doesn't know those episodes were from side stories, so if that item isn't used before they defeat the final boss most of the viewers will wonder "So, what about that resurrect item? How come it never showed up again?"

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Myurton posted:

It's mentioned in the side story Sound of Water, Sound of Hammer, that his current coat is the fourth crafted one that he has had made by a tailor. They are considered leather armor and if you watch some of the earlier episodes he has had 5 coats so far including the very first one which was a boss drop. The name of the tailor that has been making his coats is Ashley and she is apparently in the same crafting town as the girl who made his sword.

edit: Rereading the chapter the info is from, apparently his current coat is made from black dragon leather and was so hard to make he needed a top level crafter to make it.

Not my image, but here is a comparison of Kirito's outfits.
He definitely did change them, even if they were all black coats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Tamba posted:

Not my image, but here is a comparison of Kirito's outfits.
He definitely did change them, even if they were all black coats

This is interesting considering the setting basicly gives them an excuse to never have the characters change clothing in the slightest. Where other less well produced shows never even consider changing a character's appearance despite the fact that them wearing the same outfit everyday would be rediculous.

• Locked thread