Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The Warszawa posted:

Apparently one of the new 1Ls, at an orientation Q&A, asked if he could "opt into grades" first semester. When told no, he asked if he could take an undergrad class so he could have a grade this semester.

That he was not summarily expelled is a failure of this law school.

This man will go far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Well he's at yale law school so the sad thing is he probably will.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

evilweasel posted:

Well he's at yale law school so the sad thing is he probably will.

The gently caress? :eng99:

I don't know poo poo about Yale's grading system, is that even a remotely reasonable question or is it as dumb as it sounds?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
law schools even especially the best ones, attract the worst kind of people

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Athenry posted:

What the gently caress does that mean?

And don't worry, he'll be expelled from life only after amassing massive amounts of debt.

Our first semester is unevaluated, just credit/fail.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

The Warszawa posted:

Apparently one of the new 1Ls, at an orientation Q&A, asked if he could "opt into grades" first semester. When told no, he asked if he could take an undergrad class so he could have a grade this semester.

That he was not summarily expelled is a failure of this law school.
When I was a 1L, we switched from grades to fake grades. The dean held a town hall some time in the first semester to explain and discuss the switch with the students. Someone said "you know, I came here because I watched The Paper Chase and I really wanted my law school experience to be like that, and now I feel cheated."

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Ani posted:

When I was a 1L, we switched from grades to fake grades. The dean held a town hall some time in the first semester to explain and discuss the switch with the students. Someone said "you know, I came here because I watched The Paper Chase and I really wanted my law school experience to be like that, and now I feel cheated."

I like you, Ani. I like a decent number of HLS people I have met.

I have also met a lot of HLS people I really wanted to fire headlong into the sun.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
That Yale guy's like Lisa when she demanded that Marge grade her during the teacher strike. :)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

MaximumBob posted:

Posner is also completely awesome in person. If I was in his position I'd probably be a total dick, but he's really cool.

quote:

JRP: Is that a raccoon?

Kear Nevzerov: I'm a "furry". Not sure how I got this way.

JRP: I think it's Al Qaeda.

KN: I'm really an IP lawyer from DC. Honest.

JRP: I like your tail.

But he ducked out once the fireballs starting coming in.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Ahaha, that recent law graduate who asked Obama the question about the economy and got a canned response that didn't really apply to him/her? I was sitting with an acquaintance today at law school and talking about something else, and then somehow it came up that she's been getting mentioned in the news because people accused her of being a "plant" for Obama. She asked the question. And she apparently talked to six reporters today because so many news media are picking up this worthless, stupid story (she herself thinks it's really stupid that news sources are taking such an interest in it).

http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2012/08/31/13594040-redditor-says-her-softball-question-for-obama-wasnt-a-plant?lite

Also she's not a plant. Apparently news sources even contacted Northwestern to find out if she actually went there, and one of our law school's deans had to verify it.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Bold Robot posted:

The gently caress? :eng99:

I don't know poo poo about Yale's grading system, is that even a remotely reasonable question or is it as dumb as it sounds?

The higher ranked the lawschool the less poo poo you learn and the less grading you get. That way when they graduate a class hiring instutions are most reliant on the name of the instution they graduated from. My first summer internship was for the DA out here, and I worked with some t10 school kids who during lunch could go on an on about what justice scalia and ginsburg etc would think about certain issues, but I was the only one helping with prelims and opposing motions to suppress because none of them had taken crim pro. :colbert:

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
"Softball question"? I'll grant she didn't ask a complex foreign policy question, but the fact that the canned answer stuck out so much should suggest that it was at least a little more nuanced than the usual softball.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Possible openings here soon (probably prosecution), pm me resumes an poo poo if interested, or just reply if you've sent me one before and are still interested.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What city/state? Not for me, but my wife might be interested.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seconded

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Arcturas posted:

What city/state?

Yeah, about that.

(the answer is Guam.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Arcturas posted:

What city/state? Not for me, but my wife might be interested.
Go to Hawaii. Fly another 8 hours west.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Abugadu posted:

Possible openings here soon (probably prosecution), pm me resumes an poo poo if interested, or just reply if you've sent me one before and are still interested.

I may legitimately look into this. Hmmm...

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

insanityv2 posted:

Ahahahaha

Did you figure it out from my post history, or did you recognize the incident I described?

I do hope it's the latter.

I recognized the incident. That girl was gunnin' so hard at orientation, really you just had to laugh at her.

Didn't someone else ask a question that was, like, "How can I build relationships with my professors," which was both gunnerish and vaguely autistic. "Please won't someone explain to me how to have human relationships" :spergin:.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Solid Lizzie posted:

"Softball question"? I'll grant she didn't ask a complex foreign policy question, but the fact that the canned answer stuck out so much should suggest that it was at least a little more nuanced than the usual softball.

Definitely, I agree. If she had really been a "plant", you'd think the canned answer would have matched up with her question. It was just a question about her life.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

RawDog69 posted:

I recognized the incident. That girl was gunnin' so hard at orientation, really you just had to laugh at her.

Didn't someone else ask a question that was, like, "How can I build relationships with my professors," which was both gunnerish and vaguely autistic. "Please won't someone explain to me how to have human relationships" :spergin:.

I remember that too. Wasn't the answer something like "Please don't introduce yourself after class. I will think you are sucking up and it will annoy me."

Which is a pretty hilarious answer.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

insanityv2 posted:

I remember that too. Wasn't the answer something like "Please don't introduce yourself after class. I will think you are sucking up and it will annoy me."

Which is a pretty hilarious answer.

Yeah hahaha, it was pretty much "Please don't talk to me." Cornell best school.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

nm posted:

Go to Hawaii. Fly another 8 hours west.

Man I always thought Guam was down near Puerto Rico.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Nah. Guam is near the East Indies. Puerto Rico is in the West Indies. Columbus made that mistake too. NBD

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My supervising partner is a Michigan alum and huuuuge football fan... And he's at the Michigan v Bama game right now. Good thing he isn't back on the office until Tuesday, he must be so pissed off right now.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

entris posted:

My supervising partner is a Michigan alum and huuuuge football fan... And he's at the Michigan v Bama game right now. Good thing he isn't back on the office until Tuesday, he must be so pissed off right now.

Seriously, what did he think was going to happen?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've decided that I hate my job. Is it still hard to be a lawyer? Do they let you be a lawyer if you haven't done anything law related since 2009?

Let me know,

Thanks

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've decided that I hate my job. Is it still hard to be a lawyer? Do they let you be a lawyer if you haven't done anything law related since 2009?

Let me know,

Thanks
It is mysterious to me that someone who hates their job would consider lawyering a better alternative...

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Let me know,

Thanks

I still think you should go for that Alaska job.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
LFFL draft.

Tonight.

9:00pm CDT.

Y'all gonna get owned.*

* By my lovely draft skills.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ainsley McTree posted:

Let me know,

Thanks

You could go start your own private practice, I hear they let anyone do that

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Let me know,

Thanks

Guam calls, like a siren to a seafarer.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tau posted:

LFFL draft.

Tonight.

Y'all gonna get owned.*

I sure hope nobody drafts Ochocinco or TO before I get a chance to :ohdear:

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

tau posted:

LFFL draft.

Tonight.

Y'all gonna get owned.*

People are gonna get owned when one or two or five people stop caring about their team like every year before and ruin the league.

Also Ainsley, I thought you liked your job. :(

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Anyone here use clio? I can't get it to populate my schedule from the calendar.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
This thread is totally TLDR at this point but has anyone mentioned this?

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

I'd like to jump in here too, as I have been thinking about changing my first name. Basically, I have a very blue collar first name, but am in law school, and want something a little more high class sounding.

Where's the first place I would go/first thing I would have to do?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

billion dollar bitch posted:

This thread is totally TLDR at this point but has anyone mentioned this?

Yeah, we all miss Izzy and want him to return.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MoFauxHawk posted:

People are gonna get owned when one or two or five people stop caring about their team like every year before and ruin the league.

Also Ainsley, I thought you liked your job. :(

I did, and the work is still mostly ok, but I can't stand the corporate culture at the company I work for. It's essentially a gigantic HR department that's also a travel company when it has free time.

I bet they don't have to put with that kind of crap in barrow

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Ainsley McTree posted:

I did, and the work is still mostly ok, but I can't stand the corporate culture at the company I work for. It's essentially a gigantic HR department that's also a travel company when it has free time.

I bet they don't have to put with that kind of crap in barrow

I don't think you would react well to the long nights in some seasons, isolation, loneliness, and no selling of alcohol in Barrow. I wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Baruch, do you feel like talking a bit more about the differences between Scalia's and Thomas's approaches to the law? All I know as a laywoman is that they tend to vote in synch, especially in dissents.