Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

Well, due to possible pending parenthood, I need to sell my C900 convertible.

Who needs airbags, she'll have cushion in a couple months, right? :q:

I know it's a bit away, but you may want to consider advertising on the Billings and Wyoming Craigslists. For some drat reason, SAABs retain their value quite well there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Viggen posted:

Who needs airbags, she'll have cushion in a couple months, right? :q:

I know it's a bit away, but you may want to consider advertising on the Billings and Wyoming Craigslists. For some drat reason, SAABs retain their value quite well there.
I've got it listed locally (buncha lowballers here) and I'm also trying to get it listed on Saabnet. They haven't posted the ad yet, even though I've already PayPal'd them. Bastards. I'll try your suggestion with Montana and Wyoming, though. I've had a bunch of spam responses to previous ads, but it's worth a shot.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

I've got it listed locally (buncha lowballers here) and I'm also trying to get it listed on Saabnet. They haven't posted the ad yet, even though I've already PayPal'd them. Bastards. I'll try your suggestion with Montana and Wyoming, though. I've had a bunch of spam responses to previous ads, but it's worth a shot.

I don't know if Scott (usually) posts classifieds on the weekend. Billings has one of the largest (oldest) dealers in the West (Dana Motors).

Viggen fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 26, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
So, I'm getting the seat to return 'OK' to stock position, but it randomly ignores requests to tilt/move/etc. It times out and 'clicks' when it DOES move. So, I did what any semi-sane person would do, and decided to check the relay.

Not having a spare, I went under the hood and found the 9522061 for the fan, and it's schematically similar, but it won't fit under the drat seat because the fins are just a little too large.

So, I renecked it for the test (Yes, those are washers holding the contact hot):

Nope. Problem is in the control unit. I opened it to look for rust or any user servicable parts. Didn't find any:

The problem is in here somewhere.

Since the seat returns to the 'stock' position without tripping, it's not the motor using too much juice, because it will return to stock from forward, or reverse without issue.

Any idea if the switches are DPDT on the side of the seat? I could probably just say 'gently caress the memory' and wire up from the switches to the specific motors.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
For what its' worth, I just got a replacement unit with warranty for $75 from V and S. I think I've found a new used parts source.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Viggen, how do the 08+ 9-3's compare to the 03-08's? I've always wondered if I wasn't shooting myself in the foot by taking a facelifted 08 with the sick front end over an older Aero.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Viggen, how do the 08+ 9-3's compare to the 03-08's? I've always wondered if I wasn't shooting myself in the foot by taking a facelifted 08 with the sick front end over an older Aero.

They're both pretty drat awesome, and parts for the non-H engines will be plentiful for many years to come. Just have to worry about your front end, since those are still in short supply.*

* I am not, never was, and will evidently never be employed by SAAB. :suicide:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You never know, NEVS might succeed. Keep the dream alive~

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

You never know, NEVS might succeed. Keep the dream alive

SAAB is dead, NEVS is a joke, and so is SAABSUnited. Wonder what kind of box of poo poo Tim is getting sent this week!? :q:

Is this a dealership, or a trailer on an acre? YOU be the judge! Personally, I like the oil stains and recharging phone in the shots.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 28, 2012

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

The 08s aren't that different, 07+ has the GM parts bin stereo (which actually makes upgrades easier because you don't have to rewire everything from fiber optics), AC controls and the newer suspension setup, xwd option in 09 (I think the v6 went to 280hp with xwd in 09?) then nothing new until the fancy 2012 editions. The V6 is a very nice engine and, personally, I chose that over an 08 2.0T (I also prefer the 03-08 frontend).

Allegedly there are body panels coming in next month. I recall that saab parts rented the dies from swan months ago, I guess that might not include the front clip since it's all plastic.

astropika fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 28, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

astropika posted:

Allegedly there are body panels coming in next month. I recall that saab parts rented the dies from swan months ago, I guess that might not include the front clip since it's all plastic.

Currently still missing. Yes, stereo still sucks, and the DVD/NAV is even worse if you're trying to find an update.

Share what you know about 2012 differences in the 9-3s, because I'm sitting in the dark here.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Viggen posted:

Currently still missing. Yes, stereo still sucks, and the DVD/NAV is even worse if you're trying to find an update.

Share what you know about 2012 differences in the 9-3s, because I'm sitting in the dark here.

It was mainly trim changes, all the griffin stuff. I liked the new rear lights personally:

I thought they got the new direct injection 220hp ecotec but maybe they didn't get those in prior to the bankruptcy? All the previews in 2011 said that the griffin would have the newer engine.

edit: a commenter on a saabsunited article claims they have the 220hp engine in a 9-3 griffin so I guess some got out there.

astropika fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 28, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

astropika posted:

edit: a commenter on a saabsunited article claims they have the 220hp engine in a 9-3 griffin so I guess some got out there.

Take almost anything on SU with a grain of salt, really. There's a lot of stuff posted there which just.. isn't real. I can't say for sure about an actual 220 in the wild.. but I also know people who claim to have an "Independence Edition" 93, but they actually had ORDERED one, so that's as-good-as, right?

Viggen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 28, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
They hosed up and sent me a switch for the door Tuesday, instead of what I ordered. Looky what I got today!

Now I get to drill the rivets out of the existing dead regulator.

:comeback:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Ooh. Looky? For me!?

No awards will be awarded for spying the one that still has a sticker on it. You didn't pick that.

* A few are also out of chronological order to annoy the more OCD'ers.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 29, 2012

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Viggen posted:

They hosed up and sent me a switch for the door Tuesday, instead of what I ordered. Looky what I got today!

Now I get to drill the rivets out of the existing dead regulator.

:comeback:
What's more reliable; that 90's HP Laserjet or your Saab? :haw:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

That brings back some memories as the window regulator was one of my first repairs/replacements on my old $900 '91 9000 back in the day.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

goobernoodles posted:

What's more reliable; that 90's HP Laserjet or your Saab? :haw:

Technically, or in use? I use the printer 4 times a year or so. Sometimes I use the car (up to) 4 times a day. So, mmyeah.

The printer will likely outlive my cars, because GM, and Karlie were never involved.

My 6P can beat up your 6P.

JayKay posted:

That brings back some memories as the window regulator was one of my first repairs/replacements on my old $900 '91 9000 back in the day.

Not even the same category. You need to have a Chinese babys' thalidomide arm to get up in the NG900..

Viggen fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 29, 2012

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Viggen posted:

Not even the same category. You need to have a Chinese babys' thalidomide arm to get up in the NG900..

Haha yeah I remember mine being pretty easy. Just had to pop off the door pannel and I was off to the races.

It was a good thing since I had zero experience working on cars. I was armed simply with a Haynes manual and a cheapo starter toolset.

I miss my 9000. That thing was beat to hell when I bought it, but it was a great reliable tank for a college student. It had 186k on the clock and I put another 15k on it before I replaced it with a '95 900 SE Turbo. Ended up donating the car to a Saab garage who informed me they parted it out "so that other Saabs would live. "

Edit: Dammit this nostalgia trip is making me want to buy another 9000 just to play with.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 30, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

Edit: Dammit this nostalgia trip is making me want to buy another 9000 just to play with.

Doo eeeet! The parts are still available and the cars are beat to poo poo, so you'll get them relatively cheap. They're not all that difficult to work on, either! Join the herd.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, why did I just go and look?

I wonder what's so wrong with the clutch that they decided to abandon it in a field next to a 900?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder what's so wrong with the clutch that they decided to abandon it in a field next to a 900?

What do you want to bet the 900 has a toasted clutch, too? Could be a diamond in the rough. Almost guaranteed to get that money back IF you part it.

After the Sta-Bil thread yesterday, I decided it was about time to get the kids lubed and warmed..

Not pictured are the Dame Edna 95, and the Turbo X. They're sitting inside.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Got the seat computer put in the NG900. It now goes back and forth and remembers what position you set things to. That's kind of nice.

Still have to get the rear window regulator and latch done. Then, she's off to California.

E: Saturday. Window regulator done, and flakey stereo ground issue resolved. Still need to fix the door latch, but my hands are too large.. and they're tiny. :cry:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 1, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Ok, actual techs, need some help here:

Rebuilt the drat rear wire loom after it started randomly crapping 'brake light out' at me... after replacing all bulbs.

What still confuses me:

1) Why does the seat always return to 0 position even after setting Memory 1?

2) Why does my radio either act like it's missing a lead, or go 100% from an off/cool state, then a few minutes later, if you switch inputs (and back again) register like everythings' fine? I saw some aftermarket wiring on the right side of the console, but it was just tapping to go to a dumb external phone adaptor, nothing touched the radio or AMP1. I thought it was completely resolved, but this morning it gave myself (and the neighbors) a nice little wake up when I went out to monkey with the brake lights.

3) Any idea how hard it is/where to get to the ebrake sensor in the NG900? Light comes on at start, but does not register w/ ebrake on. Not sure if California will check for this, but better safe.. if affordable.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Viggen posted:

3) Any idea how hard it is/where to get to the ebrake sensor in the NG900? Light comes on at start, but does not register w/ ebrake on. Not sure if California will check for this, but better safe.. if affordable.
The switch actuated directly by the hand lever in the floor console. It's pretty easy to remove the plastic shroud - remove the piece around the lock cylinder (it's just snapped in) to reveal a screw holding the main section, then remove the rear section (held on with a screw in the rear ashtray area) to reveal the main bolts holding the shroud to the floor.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mario posted:

The switch actuated directly by the hand lever in the floor console.

That doesn't look too difficult. I wonder how brittle the plastic about the console is. When I tried to gently move a visor, the clasp literally crumbled apart in my hands. Its' now held in place with the retaining screw and the clasp from one of the destroyed window rollers. :shepicide:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Not wanting to tackle the door issue in 100+ degree weather, today, I pulled the stereo after finding all connections snugged up.

The issue? It's called a Quarter.

It was cradled against one of the two MOSFETs in the back, and likely cause the bizarre mostly-mono-but-silent/loud issue. I hope.

gently caress that door jamb, I bled again today feeling around in there after looking at the WIS data. My wimpy girly hands are too goddamn large.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Stereo works more reliably, but still acts like it has an issue with the AMP desptie finding no issues with it. Gonna try digging into the console if the sun ever comes out, today.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Weatherband cranked to 11 is loving awesome. If you weren't getting odd looks before, you sure as hell will with that blaring like Satan's rear end in a top hat after a weekend of cheap beer and Taco Bell.

Now the audio balance seems a bit tweaked - front works (always) but rear flakey. gently caress this. Buy your own $20 stereo and bypass this turd in a blanket, Patty.

She sure do look purty all fixed up and painted a little, though. Strut bar was ugly as sin. At some point, the brake fluid reservoir exploded somehow. EVERYTHING was yellow. Rustoleum glossy hi temp to the rescue. Most of the electrical stuff was unwrapped, or exposed (including the positive battery cable which nearly grounded itself, but likely saved the car due to the amount of corrosion... :frogsiren:) Redid the wiper arms (all 3) with Rustoleum flat hi temp BBQ. Overall, the car is pretty good, but needs seat covers and likely a new stereo, because I think I'm done with it, since I don't care.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 6, 2012

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Let's play Saab stereo wiring!! :suicide:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Let's play Saab stereo wiring!! :suicide:

Lets see, it has a 5 DIN A/T Keyboard (old enough to know that one, folks) that goes to the AMP, A NORMAL ANTENNA PLUG, ANOTHER STRANGE DIN FOR THE CD PLAYER IN THE TRUNK, and two 2x8 plugs which aren't color coded or seem to have any simple way of tracing without a tonebox or some magical schematic which I haven't bothered to look at yet.

I've traced less wires rebuilding 1940s tube radios.

Blasting the weather report with the 'relay fell out gently caress, can't adjust seat because car is running', driving like a hood all laid back since it refuses to work on the memory 1 setting had to be incredibly goddamn amusing. Outside of the car.

For what its worth, I am currently at 27% migrane. Winds are west by northwest at 7mph.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 6, 2012

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Viggen posted:

For what its worth, I am currently at 27% migrane. Winds are west by northwest at 7mph.

I'm thinking of trading in my truck for a late model Saab. Please don't ruin it for me.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ZippySLC posted:

I'm thinking of trading in my truck for a late model Saab. Please don't ruin it for me.

Sorry, I can't hear you. I'm still listening to the weather report.

You'll have one of two responses:

1) I LOVE THIS THING
2) I HATE THIS THING

Generally it starts out as random intervals between 1 and 2, and progressively builds until you either start talking about them in your sleep, or you show up at work in a Toyota.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Viggen posted:

Sorry, I can't hear you. I'm still listening to the weather report.

You'll have one of two responses:

1) I LOVE THIS THING
2) I HATE THIS THING

Generally it starts out as random intervals between 1 and 2, and progressively builds until you either start talking about them in your sleep, or you show up at work in a Toyota.

I've owned a 70s MGB, an 80s Jaguar, and a 90s Range Rover. How bad could it be?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ZippySLC posted:

I've owned a 70s MGB, an 80s Jaguar, and a 90s Range Rover. How bad could it be?

Welcome to SAABlandia, friend! :haw:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Honestly, except for some really strange stuff, it's not all that bad.

As a professional shadetree for myself (only), I've managed with some cheap HF grade tools, and a $20 ODB-II scanner for the post-96 stuff. Also, blood, RockAuto, eEuro, and standoffs.

The Classic 900 and before is when things start to get 'wait, what?', but since you seem unlikely to be going down that road, just absorb as much of the 'oh, this is a SAAB thing' as you can for issues.. and until you trust yourself not to be making an expensive mistake, have an indy check out anything used you may be interested in - first.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

"I hate old WIS more than you or me,
cuz they said my amplifier pinout was just a broke CD!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlJbsjeLBOg

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
:confused: The wiring diagram has pinouts (not all that detailed though):

354 is the "bass amp".

I'm amused that the speaker wire colors are different between LHD and RHD models.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mario posted:

:confused: The wiring diagram has pinouts (not all that detailed though):

I really don't get old WIS, because it never gives me what the hell I search/click for. It gave me basic 'check grounds' information and I could click on each ground separately, but that's all I could find.

I think my copy of oldWIS for the NG900 is a little messed, because search doesn't work, and half of the tabs on the bottom don't respond until I logout and login to the system about 30% of the time.

I did find out that I should clean the tape head every 30 hours, as the SID will suggest.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Thanks for that schematic. It helped me track down the problem.

Someone rigged an aftermarket input into the amp, removed whatever the hell it was, and hid a good portion of it under mounds of tape halfway under the center console.

The external amp is fried (as I figured), and it's only the built-in on the head unit powering everything, but the speakers are messed (I literally picked up the cone off the ground after getting the drivers' door to open). CD player works great, surprisingly enough.

Sadly, though, I've given up on trying to repair the door latch myself. I'm going to pay someone for that; I can't even get my fingers NEAR the latch parts when using a dental mirror for assistance in guidance.