Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

orcane posted:

This, very much. I played it back on PS2 where pretty much all my romances bugged out, then I did a thorough playthrough on PC.

Are there any recommended mods (mostly prettifying ones) for SA? It does look a bit dated, but that won't keep me. I briefly looked on the usual GTA mod forums/sites and there's a lot of stuff but I have no idea how useful the mods are, and many of the graphics improvements look like they just made cars more shiny.

4x draw distance is the only visual mod I would use. There are mods that increase draw distance more, but they have really bad glitches as side effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Himuro posted:

San Fiero is still the best GTA city after all these years. Those hills!

Vice loving City

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I still haven't finished GTA IV because in the final mission I turned off my XBOX in disgust after the helicopter gets hit by the RPG, because there was no way I could have avoided it. Little did I know it was scripted... Never had the patience to play through the shooting section again.

This is kinda funny to me. Reminds me of when I was playing FF8 as a kid and I died in a battle, pressed the power button down on the PS1 to turn it off and the random Phoenix summon appeared and revived my party. I had to finish the battle one handed so I could save my game before releasing the power button and turning off the system.

Years later, I was playing GTAIV on 360 and my dog managed to open the disc tray with her nose while sniffing around my TV stand, which of course ended the game. The FF8 situation was the first thing to pop into my head, and how if the buttons were physical implements that you had to press in and out like the old days (or even the original 360s) then this wouldn't have happened. Never before have I been so irrationally mad at such a niche cosmetic change.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I had a similar situation. I wanted to play rocksmith on my new xbox after my old one died so I went to go plug in the cable. While finagling it into the USB port, my hand brushed by the power "button." Then any other time where I was moving something and something brushed past the open tray "button" while I was playing Forza.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I've owned several 360s, including a first generation slim system and currently the Star Wars R2-D2 slim. I think they moved the disc tray button a little further down the front of the system on the later slim models because I find accidental tray openings happening less and less. The original positioning of the touch-button right on the bezel edge was just asking for something to activate it with terrible timing.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Cameron posted:

Vice loving City

San Andreas was a terrible let down for me after Vice City. It was just so dull and plain compared to the neon lights and times of Vice City.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The SRT3 project isn't very good I think. The textures look way out of place and clash terribly by what isn't retextured. Plus it adds dumb splash screens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Upmarket Mango posted:

The SRT3 project isn't very good I think. The textures look way out of place and clash terribly by what isn't retextured. Plus it adds dumb splash screens.

It can't be as bad as early efforts of retexturing GTA3. People pretty much just took pictures of things that were similar to what the texture used to be. So you'd drive around Liberty city with colorful pictures of storefronts everywhere that didn't fit in with the style of the game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cameron posted:

Vice loving City

Vice City as an actual city is pretty boring to drive though. It's so flat.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Himuro posted:

Vice City as an actual city is pretty boring to drive though. It's so flat.
BUT IT'S THE 80'S! THE 90'S SUCKED.

Vice was dull as dishwater to have a cop chase through :colbert: Dukes Of Hazzard chases through the SA country side forever.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Croccers posted:

BUT IT'S THE 80'S! THE 90'S SUCKED.

Vice was dull as dishwater to have a cop chase through :colbert: Dukes Of Hazzard chases through the SA country side forever.

I remember thinking at the time it came out how small Vice City felt. Like, I know I'd read that the game map in VC was some order of magnitude bigger than the entirety of Liberty City in III, but it certainly didn't feel that way.

The coolest parts of Vice City proper, by far, were the beaches and the boardwalk near the hotel hideout you begin the game in. The rest of that island I don't remember that well, and the entire left half of the map was nothing special.

Which isn't to say that Vice City didn't introduce so many great things over the first 3D GTA game, like a -way- more interesting story/main character, motorcycles, real music, flyable planes and helicopters, a chainsaw, dress-up, and one of my favorites, being able to dive out of your car while it was moving. I think nearly every mission in the game that I was able to, I attempted to arm a car-bomb and drive headlong into my enemies, diving out at the last second to send a ton and a half of steel and explosive payload into the group.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
It was bigger but half the map is is a loving beach. I think there's more open water as well.

nozz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 2, 2012

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Gat posted:

It was bigger but half the map is is a loving beach. I think there's more open water as well.

That map makes me aware that I've actually never been to Las Venturas in SA. Never really wanted to continue past San Fierro. That was the first game where I discovered that a gameworld could be too big.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

San Fierro is a bit boring but after that the game really picks up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
San Fierro just feels so unfinished.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Never realized San Andreas' map was really that much more complex than Vice City's. Suddenly that fake GTA V map with the roughly 15 major southwestern cities, assorted small towns and what the hell, let's throw in Vice City, seems just that little less far-fetched.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

San Fierro just feels so unfinished.

I guess that's how I felt about it. I liked it because I'm from San Francisco, but something always felt wrong about it. I guess that's what it is. It's just not as lively as LS or LV. Which sucks because the real San Francisco is exciting.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Never realized San Andreas' map was really that much more complex than Vice City's. Suddenly that fake GTA V map with the roughly 15 major southwestern cities, assorted small towns and what the hell, let's throw in Vice City, seems just that little less far-fetched.

Well it's still far fetched. Keep in mind that while the SA map is larger, the whole thing wasn't loaded at once. GTAIII only loaded the island you were on, then you leave it and have to watch a loading screen (for a couple minutes on the crappy computer I had). Vice City didn't have these loading screens. Or if it did, you got one of the two main islands plus all the middle ones. I don't remember perfectly. In SA, while there were no loading screens, they had created that streaming system which loaded the map as you drove around. So it never loaded the entire map in.

The V map could be a lot larger than the IV map, but I seriously doubt it would ever be possible on current hardware to make a map as large as that fake posted a couple months back.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 2, 2012

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Which fake map are we talking about here? I've probably seen at least 10 obvious fakes floating around on the internet.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
This one I think?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the main reason to believe the map is fake is how bad the fake names are. They would take a real world location and just change one letter. Like Anizona instead of Arizona.

e: it was Azirona, but still

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ak Gara posted:

This one I think?

Goddamn, I would play the poo poo out of this game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

I guess that's how I felt about it. I liked it because I'm from San Francisco, but something always felt wrong about it. I guess that's what it is. It's just not as lively as LS or LV. Which sucks because the real San Francisco is exciting.

Well it's still far fetched. Keep in mind that while the SA map is larger, the whole thing wasn't loaded at once. GTAIII only loaded the island you were on, then you leave it and have to watch a loading screen (for a couple minutes on the crappy computer I had). Vice City didn't have these loading screens. Or if it did, you got one of the two main islands plus all the middle ones. I don't remember perfectly. In SA, while there were no loading screens, they had created that streaming system which loaded the map as you drove around. So it never loaded the entire map in.

The V map could be a lot larger than the IV map, but I seriously doubt it would ever be possible on current hardware to make a map as large as that fake posted a couple months back.

I think Rockstar even said once that they never got around to "finishing" it before release? I don't know, but yeah it's just so.. not there.

Vice City loaded when you crossed from Vice Beach/Starfish Island/Prawn Island over into the "mainland" island. It's actually kind of annoying how the game still did that on the PC version, even though on a modern PC the load screen is super short, because it interrupts your groove if you're cruising around the city or something.

The V map could easily be as large as that one ridiculous fake map on current hardware. The thing is in order to fit on current game media for the PS3 and 360, you'd end up with a map that had a lot of bland or underdetailed stuff even though it happened to be huge.

What was that one game that was like, supposed to be all of Manhattan in size, like to scale? But it was completely bland and most of the buildings and blocks of the city were generic and repeated with only a few true to life landmarks. Sure it was like 3 times larger land area than San Andreas but it was like nothing there. That's the kind of stuff you'd get out of that one fake map.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

This one I think?

I have never seen a more obvious fake in my life. Whoever made that map obviously forgot that Vice City is supposed to be Miami, not loving New Mexico. The one-letter-changed fake names are laughable, too. Also, what's with the Nazi flag?

This fake map on the other hand, is actually pretty plausible:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Away all Goats posted:

Goddamn, I would play the poo poo out of this game.

I know! It would take a map about 70 square miles to fit all that stuff in, and I just don't see it being that big. (SA being 13.6 square miles)

Just Cause 2 had a big map but it was so empty plus most of it was open water.

Test Drive Unlimited has a mapsize of 618 square miles and cruising around the island was super fun, if they had something like that in a GTA game, that would be the best game ever. If they added Forza's car modding and driving physics, I would consider gaming "done." Finished. Wouldn't need to make another game.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 2, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You know what game's world was way too big? Far Cry 2.

Or maybe it wasn't too big, but just the fact that it always took at least 10 minutes (not even an exaggeration) to get to your destination was loving infuriating.

The scenery was nice, but not nice enough to overlook the fact that it took so long to get to where you were going.

I never felt that with San Andreas. In SA, you had the excellent radio stations to keep you company while you traversed from one area to another. And you had a bunch of different vehicles you could use. And at any point, you could stop and perform some crazy stunt or start doing vigilante missions or some other cool task. In Far Cry 2, all you could drive was one Jeep and all you could do on your way to the next location was assault the same type of enemy camp and that was it, from what I remember. Or start a persistent wildfire that would still be there an hour later if you left that area and came back to it. Which was cool, but how many times can you do that before it starts to get old?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 2, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like that Daggerfall had the largest map and contained all of the Elder Scrolls lands, except it was mostly featureless. And the Burnout Paradise map is "huge" but has half a mile wide roads and thousand foot tall streetlights. I'd like to know what people use to make these fake maps. Do they draw them by hand or do they chop up bits of previous GTA Maps. That large one with the nazi flag and all the cities was the one I was talking about. It's an obvious fake because of the lazy names, it's not even close to being the same style as EVERY other 3d GTA, and just stupid. I'm just guessing somehow the person came up with some algorithm that lays out city streets and let it go hog wild with a noise map or something to determine density.

I like the other map that was posted. I think the might be the one that was leaked with some "insider info" someone had that talked about the features of the map. How half of it was obscured by Mountains so it was easier to load the map or whatever.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Daggerfall was mostly randomly generated so it doesn't really count.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
ARMA II/DayZ map is like 225kmē but it feels a lot bigger because you walk most of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
And it literally takes half an hour to walk across part of it.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Or maybe it wasn't too big, but just the fact that it always took at least 10 minutes (not even an exaggeration) to get to your destination was loving infuriating.

The scenery was nice, but not nice enough to overlook the fact that it took so long to get to where you were going.

I never felt that with San Andreas. In SA, you had the excellent radio stations to keep you company while you traversed from one area to another. And you had a bunch of different vehicles you could use. And at any point, you could stop and perform some crazy stunt or start doing vigilante missions or some other cool task. In Far Cry 2, all you could drive was one Jeep and all you could do on your way to the next location was assault the same type of enemy camp and that was it, from what I remember. Or start a persistent wildfire that would still be there an hour later if you left that area and came back to it. Which was cool, but how many times can you do that before it starts to get old?

Blasphemy I know but this is a big reason I couldnt stay into Just Cause 2.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

What was that one game that was like, supposed to be all of Manhattan in size, like to scale? But it was completely bland and most of the buildings and blocks of the city were generic and repeated with only a few true to life landmarks. Sure it was like 3 times larger land area than San Andreas but it was like nothing there. That's the kind of stuff you'd get out of that one fake map.

You might be thinking of True Crime: New York. I feel bad every time I play that game, because it could have been really good, but it's just so bland and frustrating. :(

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

In Far Cry 2, all you could drive was one Jeep and all you could do on your way to the next location was assault the same type of enemy camp and that was it, from what I remember. Or start a persistent wildfire that would still be there an hour later if you left that area and came back to it. Which was cool, but how many times can you do that before it starts to get old?

I only played FC2 for a couple of hours shortly after it came out, but didn't it also have the problem where enemies respawned and enemy camps repopulated way too quickly? As in, within one play session, you could clear one camp en route to your destination, diddle around there, and then run into the exact same enemies on your way back from the destination.

I bought FC2 for like $3 during the Steam Summer sale this year; I'll get around to playing it one day.

the_american_dream posted:

I can't really agree with you here. Sure, JC2's map was huge, and not as densely populated as a GTA game map, but there was plenty to do to occupy your travels from one location to another via the game's stunt system. The environments varied from jungle to beaches to desert to snowy mountains and everything in between. Plus, you had near unlimited access to supersonic aircraft fairly early on that allowed you to zip across the map in relatively short time.

Not to mention, that game is just so damned pretty. I dunno how the draw-distance looks on consoles, but on my half-decent PC it feels like you can see the entire varied and colorful world at once.

Truman Sticks fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 3, 2012

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

The abominable Driver: Parallel Lines. Which I was stupid enough to buy for five bucks at the Salvation Army a few weeks ago. Was so frustrating since crashes damaged your health and cops would chase you for disobeying traffic laws. Made even getting to the missions a chore.

Also to the guy who said that Daggerfall included all of the TES lands, no it did not. That was Arena, Daggerfall just covered parts of Hammerfell and High Rock.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 3, 2012

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

http://www.igta5.com/map

This site has another fake map at the bottom. It looks like whoever was creating it got bored when it was time to draw the eastern half, though.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Ak Gara posted:

Test Drive Unlimited has a mapsize of 618 square miles and cruising around the island was super fun, if they had something like that in a GTA game, that would be the best game ever. If they added Forza's car modding and driving physics, I would consider gaming "done." Finished. Wouldn't need to make another game.

I love TDU, and still play it from time to time, but they really needed to liven the place up a little. As awful as TDU2 was, at least they took a little step in that direction.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

the_american_dream posted:

I feel the same way. I had a blast with JC2 to start with but it got so monotonous, especially with the travel, that I rushed to finish the story and then couldn't get more than an hour out of it when I bought it again in a Steam sale.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I played three hours of Just Cause 2 and couldn't play more of it because despite loving the fun, and the grapple hook, and the missions...I couldn't stand driving 10-15 minutes to every mission. It got tired, repetitive, and I just simply uninstalled it.

I find games like Skyrim and San Andreas have the perfect medium in terms of size.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can fast travel to any settlement you've ever been to in JC2. You can also call down a jet on demand. Mobility is JC2's superlative strength, not a weak point. At both a large and a small scale you can get pretty much anywhere you want within 30 seconds. The driving is totally garbage but it doesn't matter because you can move insanely fast grapplechuting.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Himuro posted:

I played three hours of Just Cause 2 and couldn't play more of it because despite loving the fun, and the grapple hook, and the missions...I couldn't stand driving 10-15 minutes to every mission. It got tired, repetitive, and I just simply uninstalled it.

I find games like Skyrim and San Andreas have the perfect medium in terms of size.

Until game developers are technologically capable of filling every last bit of map space with interesting, unique content, space compression will be an absolute necessity for an open-world game map to remain fun to navigate.

Look at Skyrim. Everyone always remarks how huge and detailed and engrossing the map is, when in reality the physical space that the map occupies is smaller than a real-life small town.

San Andreas literally compressed the entire American Southwest into several square miles.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

K8.0 posted:

You can fast travel to any settlement you've ever been to in JC2. You can also call down a jet on demand. Mobility is JC2's superlative strength, not a weak point. At both a large and a small scale you can get pretty much anywhere you want within 30 seconds. The driving is totally garbage but it doesn't matter because you can move insanely fast grapplechuting.

You can do that? I didn't see any option for it.

• Locked thread