Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Been playing San Andreas all week.

Goddamn, I forgot how good this game is. The mission variety is insane, I'm almost done with the Los Santos part, and I'm done with the really bad tutorial missions and have opened up Ammu-nation. Gang wars, dating (I actually liked it in SA, and still do, especially since no one bugs you about it and you keep the rewards even if you break up with the girls if I remember), all the hidden poo poo...

If V is even remotely an updated version of San Andreas I will be more satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

FCKGW posted:

Anyone seen this yet? It's blowing my mind right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3-xw_BOwo

I was expecting it to fly.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LryoOaWud_8

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I was expecting it to fly; and was mildly disinterested because there's probably been two dozen flying delorean models.

Then he hit 88 mph and I went from six to midnight instantly.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Mandrel posted:

I went from six to midnight instantly.

That's a drat good time machine!

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
I complicated it and thought that it was going to go back further in his save or something. No idea how it would do that from a programming perspective(read: it couldn't unless the game saved states of every couple minutes) but then I realized it just made time skip around and the cars are in different spots and that's good enough. I've seen the San Andreas and Vice City one too. Now I have all 3 games on PC but have yet to follow through on installing these or any mods :effort:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Really dumb GTAIV question: does anyone know how to increase mouse movement speed in the game's menus?

I've dialled the sensitivity to max in the controller settings, so in-game the mouse movement is fine if a little twitchy for my liking. However, when I'm in the menus it feels like the mouse cursor is moving through hot tar - it takes sometimes 2 or 3 "pick up and relocate the mouse on the mousepad" movements before I've finished moving the cursor from one end of the screen to the other.

Is there a known fix for this? I'm using the Steam PC version.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

webmeister posted:

Really dumb GTAIV question: does anyone know how to increase mouse movement speed in the game's menus?

I've dialled the sensitivity to max in the controller settings, so in-game the mouse movement is fine if a little twitchy for my liking. However, when I'm in the menus it feels like the mouse cursor is moving through hot tar - it takes sometimes 2 or 3 "pick up and relocate the mouse on the mousepad" movements before I've finished moving the cursor from one end of the screen to the other.

Is there a known fix for this? I'm using the Steam PC version.
With most console ports its easier just to use the keyboard while in the menu. Mouse support in GTA4 was bad enough already, theres an always-on mouse acceleration.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have a question regarding GTA IV PC since I was able to pick up the GTA complete/Max Payne 3 bundle the other day.

Where the hell do your videos go? I exported a video to 1080p, but apparently the only way you can access it is through the in game menu? What the gently caress is the point? In order to actually share something online, you have to use the lovely compressed "web" export option (understandable) and use the social site, but you can't just get the raw videos to watch in Media Player or anything?

This is really dumb and I can't figure out if the documentation is just really bad or there is something really obvious that I'm missing.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

DrNutt posted:

I have a question regarding GTA IV PC since I was able to pick up the GTA complete/Max Payne 3 bundle the other day.

Where the hell do your videos go? I exported a video to 1080p, but apparently the only way you can access it is through the in game menu? What the gently caress is the point? In order to actually share something online, you have to use the lovely compressed "web" export option (understandable) and use the social site, but you can't just get the raw videos to watch in Media Player or anything?

This is really dumb and I can't figure out if the documentation is just really bad or there is something really obvious that I'm missing.
I have W7:

C:\Users\myname\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Videos\rendered

The individual replays files are stored
C:\Users\myname\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Videos\Clips

They can take up 100+Mb so if you have a lot they can really add up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it goes in your documents folder somewhere. Under games or videos. It's a bit hidden.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Thanks, I could have sworn I checked in there but it looks like I'll just need to dig a little deeper.

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho

FCKGW posted:

Anyone seen this yet? It's blowing my mind right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3-xw_BOwo

This owns.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Good lord. Just got thrown into the countryside in San Andreas.

I have not done this since this game came out in ps2, and it's still amazing. More Catalina, please!

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Is it completely unpossible to transfer my Xbox 360 GTA4 save game to my PC?

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

fuckpot posted:

Is it completely unpossible to transfer my Xbox 360 GTA4 save game to my PC?

Yes.

TrevorP
Aug 30, 2012

It's Trevor time.
I completely loved GTA 3, San Andreas, and Vice City. I however found 4 very boring with little to do outside of the main story. I kind of lost interest in the Grand Theft Auto series after 4, and was redirected to Saints Row where I feel it is much better than anything Grand Theft Auto will ever put out again. I feel like 5 is just going to be a polished 4 again, I doubt we'll see anything like upgrades, huge variety in weapons, or clothing. That's just my rant, but hey, if it does end up being better than what I suspect that will be a pleasant surprise, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Himuro posted:

Good lord. Just got thrown into the countryside in San Andreas.

I have not done this since this game came out in ps2, and it's still amazing. More Catalina, please!

Is it possible to keep the alarm from going off at the bank when you have to hold them up with the shotgun? I've never been able to last more than a few seconds before one of them hits the alarm.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TrevorP posted:

I completely loved GTA 3, San Andreas, and Vice City. I however found 4 very boring with little to do outside of the main story. I kind of lost interest in the Grand Theft Auto series after 4, and was redirected to Saints Row where I feel it is much better than anything Grand Theft Auto will ever put out again.

Wow, I've never heard anyone express this opinion before! Thanks broseph. ;)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Jerusalem posted:

Is it possible to keep the alarm from going off at the bank when you have to hold them up with the shotgun? I've never been able to last more than a few seconds before one of them hits the alarm.

Nah it's not possible unfortunately. Their arms just move quicker and quicker until you have no chance of stopping them.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Playing San Andreas really shows how much of a step back IV was in every way. I miss the leveling up. I miss the stats you had. Some people don't like that aspect, but I really do. I see it as an alternative to Saints Row The Third's level up system, except SA's is far more intuitive in many ways and feels more rewarding.

San Andreas' biggest flaw is the size and scope of the game. It took me about 13 hours to get thrown into the countryside. I'm sure when I first got the game, I covered every loving area in that city and it took me 20 hours to get to the Badlands. This makes replaying it crazy, because progression is mostly tied to story missions. You can't do everything all at once, you have to do the story mission to unlock those house robberies, or lowrider races, or gang wars. Which is great, but it means that if you want the full extent of what San Andreas has to offer, you have to dedicate hours and HOURS of your time to do it again, or just load up a 100 hour save file you've got cooking somewhere.

But other than that, the missions are also San Andreas' greatest asset. I'm only 20% into the story and I have: had gang wars, robbed houses, stole tankers, drove up a mountain and killed a guy in FBI custody, did lowrider competitions, raced cars, kidnapped managers and sent them to the bottom of the drink, broken into houses using stealth to steal a rhyme book, and more. When SA first came out, it was my favorite GTA, but in later years I preferred III and VC because they were more tight, and didn't require as much time to dedicate to unlocking all of their features so they were more fun to replay. But this playthrough may just push it above III and VC for me again if it keeps this up; the mission variety is insane.

Things I want back in V that were missions from SA:

- leveling up the protagonist. If I use that weapon a lot, I should be able to gain access to better features like dual wield, better accuracy, being able to run and shoot, or shoot form the side. A lot of people don't like managing stuff like fat or muscle, but I say keep that crap, but make it a "realistic simulation" option if people (like me) want to do that stuff.

- SA's mission variety, as said above.

- The personality of SA's writing. I am more attached to CJ and his gaggle of misfits in just a few hours than I was invested with the characters my entire IV replay recently. "You're not going to get another accident are you, CJ?" "gently caress you!" Or any time OG Loc tries to rap.

- A countryside, for the love of all that is good.

- Stealth. The fact you can't use stealth to avoid police is a huge misstep in IV. Even more, SA's stealth system was expanded upon in later titles like The Warriors for things just like that. Missed opportunity. Also, stealth kills!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not sure. I haven't done that yet. I did the tanker mission, and instead of being annoyed and having those guys chasing me, I immediately got out and set their car to flame with my sawed off shotgun.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 1, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Himuro posted:

I'm not sure. I haven't done that yet. I did the tanker mission, and instead of being annoyed and having those guys chasing me, I immediately got out and set their car to flame with my sawed off shotgun.

You need to kill those guys regardless just because of how incredibly lovely the one voice actor is.

And yes, for God's sake please let GTAV have some countryside to ride around in.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Driving around the countryside to K-DST. :allears:

Jerusalem posted:

You need to kill those guys regardless just because of how incredibly lovely the one voice actor is.

"I'm not getting fired from another job because of some crazy bitch!"

He said, before my sawed off shotgun turned him into bbq. :allears:

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 1, 2012

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I really can't fault GTA 4 for not completely and immediately surpassing, on a new console, the single greatest game of the PS2/Xbox generation

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

ElwoodCuse posted:

I really can't fault GTA 4 for not completely and immediately surpassing, on a new console, the single greatest game of the PS2/Xbox generation

I'm half and half on 4, one because it was stripped, but also I defend it because it was the 'gta3' to the PS3. I'm hoping 5 will be the SA of the PS3, e.g Blow us all the gently caress away.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is the ENB series mod the best way to get San Andreas looking a little nicer?

Edit: Am I being really dumb? I've downloaded SAAC 1.2 but it doesn't bring up any kind of configuration menu when I run it? I've tried pasting in some presets for the 360 controller that I found on a GTA website, but it doesn't seem to have any effect in-game. Am I just an idiot or do I need to do something else to get it configured and running with the Steam version of GTA SA?

Edit: had to downgrade my version of SA and download some .dll files and all is now well for SAAC!

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 1, 2012

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Sorry to not post something GTA IV/V related but this <is> a general grand theft auto megathread...

Is there an overall verdict on Grand Theft Auto III for the iPhone? I got into the series during Vice City and never played III, is it worth going back to and does the iphone handle it well?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I can't speak for the 4S but it's very jerky and almost unplayable on the 4. I would recommend sticking with the PC version.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Serrath posted:

Sorry to not post something GTA IV/V related but this <is> a general grand theft auto megathread...

Is there an overall verdict on Grand Theft Auto III for the iPhone? I got into the series during Vice City and never played III, is it worth going back to and does the iphone handle it well?

It runs pretty nicely on my 4S, but it's really difficult to play. Driving around is OK, but you basically need three fingers to shoot (one to move, one to aim/camera and another to press the shoot button).

I've got it installed more for the novelty of "can you believe this poo poo is on my phone" than actually playing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Serrath posted:

You'll probably have a better time playing it on an iPad, I know I had a better time playing it on my Android tablet than my Android phone. For what it's worth though, I got it when it was on sale for 99 cents. Not sure I'd have paid full price.

One advantage of using it on a tablet is, depending on the device you specifically have (like, iPad or android), you can hook it up to a TV and play it with bluetooth controllers (and on Android, USB controllers). It's then like you're playing the good old PS2 or Xbox 1 version, only with much better rendering behind it! I'd say it even looks nicer than stock GTA III for the PC.

I also think that on the iPhone version, you can play it with some of those gamepads you attach to the side of the phone? Like this but I don't know if that one specifically works with III:

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 1, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Ahahahaha Catalina is the best GTA character.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I still get annoyed that people say that IV was stripped down from SA. That they "removed" lots of features from the game. I'm guessing it's because they don't understand how games are made. Unlike Vice City and SA where they pretty much just had to make a new world, features, story and characters (except for the streaming in SA), IV required a new everything. They had to make a whole new engine, they had to make it work on two completely different platforms in addition to all the things they have to do to make it a game.

I guess if you just assume these things just appear by magic, you can be mad that IV didn't have as much stuff as SA. I was disappointed that certain things weren't in the game (car modding for instance), but I understood that they didn't really have time to add all these things. I am a bit disappointed that they didn't add anything new for the episodes besides better bike physics and base jumping I suppose. I'm hoping that V is the culmination of all the work they put in to make IV and the episodes and they make an SA quality game before the end of this console generation's life cycle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Himuro posted:

Ahahahaha Catalina is the best GTA character.

I have a LOT of new games to play, old games to finish and assorted other things to do with my life, but I'll be damned if I'm not feeling the itch to play SA again, if only to gently caress around in the countryside while Catalina screams abuse at me. :)

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I was more mad at gta4 because it was liberty city AGAIN. I played it on opc and never finish it. I got stuck on the last mission because I suck at QTE. I played a little the expansion also and it was more fun but at this point I am suffering of fatigue over liberty city.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I must be the only person that beat the final mission of GTA IV on my first try. GTAIII I never beat.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
San Fiero is still the best GTA city after all these years. Those hills!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I have a LOT of new games to play, old games to finish and assorted other things to do with my life, but I'll be damned if I'm not feeling the itch to play SA again, if only to gently caress around in the countryside while Catalina screams abuse at me. :)
This, very much. I played it back on PS2 where pretty much all my romances bugged out, then I did a thorough playthrough on PC.

Are there any recommended mods (mostly prettifying ones) for SA? It does look a bit dated, but that won't keep me. I briefly looked on the usual GTA mod forums/sites and there's a lot of stuff but I have no idea how useful the mods are, and many of the graphics improvements look like they just made cars more shiny.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

orcane posted:

This, very much. I played it back on PS2 where pretty much all my romances bugged out, then I did a thorough playthrough on PC.

Are there any recommended mods (mostly prettifying ones) for SA? It does look a bit dated, but that won't keep me. I briefly looked on the usual GTA mod forums/sites and there's a lot of stuff but I have no idea how useful the mods are, and many of the graphics improvements look like they just made cars more shiny.

There is of course the multitude of ENB settings for it floating around, but for textures and stuff theres the SRT 3 project floating around that makes a lot of things look better, a ton of custom weapon models and mods, some of which you can slap on individually to make your own weapon packs, or pre-compiled weapon packs for ease of installation.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=323180
Here is a new, updated version of SRT 3. I havent tried this yet since its been a while since I played SA and my power supply died on my gaming machine so i'm not sure how good it is but it seems to make a lot of changes besides just retexturing now.

http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/browse.php?C=61
Lots of custom weapon models and textures are here, including ones for III and VC.

http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/browse.php?C=14
Lot's of gameplay edits and hacks using an ASI loader and the CLEO scripting mods for SA and IV.

The SA modding scene is pretty robust and you can spend hours looking at tons of ridiculous things for that game if you want to change up the gameplay a bit.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

blue squares posted:

I must be the only person that beat the final mission of GTA IV on my first try. GTAIII I never beat.

I still haven't finished GTA IV because in the final mission I turned off my XBOX in disgust after the helicopter gets hit by the RPG, because there was no way I could have avoided it. Little did I know it was scripted... Never had the patience to play through the shooting section again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

blue squares posted:

In gta3 the try is get the tank for yourself. The only tricky part is to fired on that copter and thats it.

• Locked thread