Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Better Angels has reached complete funding and its first stretch goal, an introductory adventure! Most pleasing!

There's a pretty cool short story on that project update, too. I'm really liking where this game is going. Depending on its mechanics, it may also finally be the system that lets people play Geist: the Sin-Eaters, a great concept that White Wolf executed so poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cyphoderus posted:

Better Angels has reached complete funding and its first stretch goal, an introductory adventure! Most pleasing!

There's a pretty cool short story on that project update, too. I'm really liking where this game is going. Depending on its mechanics, it may also finally be the system that lets people play Geist: the Sin-Eaters, a great concept that White Wolf executed so poorly.

It's more like Wraith than Geist.

I don't think i'm under NDA or anything but the playtest docs say not to say much about them and the kickstarter'll probably preview mechanics soon anyway.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Stretch Goal 2 posted:

First stretch goal achieved! Next: Mobile app. Plus, Part 2 of 'Me, and Karish-Nephet, the Defiler'

On Day Two of the Better Angels fundraiser we blew past our first stretch goal, so as soon as Better Angels comes out we'll include a free adventure by Greg Stolze! Thank you!

We're pushing on. Check out our next goal -- it's a fun one.
$9,000 Stretch Goal — A Ruthless Supervillain App

If we hit this goal, when the game comes out we will launch an online Better Angels character data web app optimized for iPhone and Droid mobile browsers. In fact the work is already mostly done thanks to a particularly awesome friend of ours who also happens to be a particularly awesome mobile app coder. The web app will tie in to a user database where you can log in and store your own characters for reference any time, alongside all the pregenerated characters from the rulebook and the starter adventure. Plus easy access to mobile-optimized online cheat sheets with key Better Angels rules. Help us get to $9K and take your plot for world dominion everywhere!
You should kick in for this. Jus' sayin. :3:

Dedhed
Feb 27, 2005
I'm going to bump this because I found a good resource for UA stuff.

Return to Dunwich from Chaosium 1920s Cthulhu (the 1991 version).

I think it's technically an adventure, but basically it's a big rural sandbox full of weirdness and a ton of NPCs. And by ton I mean like a 1000 entries of families, NPCs and weird places (keyed to a cool map).

The nice thing about it is the NPCs and places are rarely connected to the mythos or even the plot of the adventure. Each little area seems to have their own sets of problems, allies and villains. You could drop alot of these guys into a rural game of UA quite easily, especially a street-level one.

Dedhed fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 3, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

New update on Better Angels makes it sound boss.

quote:

Every action you roll for involves a Strategy and a Tactic.

You get another 20 points, and you can spend them on the sinister traits (or, if you’re too nice for your own good, on the virtuous stuff) of the character to your right

Woo!

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
I've managed to thus far avoid falling into Kickstarters, but Better Angels convinced me to take the plunge.

Now to hope they get to the 15k stretch goal...

I'm actually really digging the character creation system, and I'm usually one to be wary of group influence systems but considering the intentional character / demon dynamic this seems like a natural place for it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Dedhed posted:

I'm going to bump this because I found a good resource for UA stuff.

Return to Dunwich from Chaosium 1920s Cthulhu (the 1991 version).

I think it's technically an adventure, but basically it's a big rural sandbox full of weirdness and a ton of NPCs. And by ton I mean like a 1000 entries of families, NPCs and weird places (keyed to a cool map).

The nice thing about it is the NPCs and places are rarely connected to the mythos or even the plot of the adventure. Each little area seems to have their own sets of problems, allies and villains. You could drop alot of these guys into a rural game of UA quite easily, especially a street-level one.

My friends and I have recently found some good beer called Mythos. What would happen if a Dipsomancer drank it in Innsmouth?

But seriously the Mythos and the UA cosmos are, in my opinion, fundamentally incompatible. UA's theme is 'You Did It'. All the gods and monsters started out as humans and human ideas. Going mad isn't the end of the adventure - it's the start.

The Mythos is about existential terror, about humanity being beneath notice in an infinite cosmos. I'm not sure how you could reconcile the two. Unless the Invisible Clergy's power is limited to Earth, a fact discovered by the unfortunate Cliomancer who harvests that charge on the moon.

I suppose you could play a Bibliomancer who believes in the Mythos and it's tomes.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Count Chocula posted:

My friends and I have recently found some good beer called Mythos.

That's a good beer. Greece's most popular beer if the Greek restaurant in my neighborhood is to be believed.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Better Angels just reached it's 15k stretch goal, and is becoming a fullcolour hardcover. They're fishing about for new stretch goals on the comments section of the kickstarter project; if you want things from Stolze and co, suggest it now!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Saw that someone else posted that they'd love to see integration rules for Wild Talents, realized I felt the same way. I'm psyched for the base game itself, but I love Wild Talents.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I feel like Cul De Sac could be a lighthearted UA setting

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Those are adorable.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
That actually gave me vibes of Monsters and Other Childish Things, to be frank.

Definitely adorable, though!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The idea of a Baba Yaga house kicking sand in the face of lesser houses :3:

Edit: And the Uh-Oh Baby, tiny portent of doom.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 17, 2012

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009
I was reading the UA corebook again and the Bibliomancer has a guy who cast the "Know about (person)" spell on the Comte by accident. This seems like too interesting of an artifact/macguffin not to use, but I'm not sure how.

Also, any reason aside from no reasonable GM would let them that that bibliomancer couldn't burn a minor charge to know the book instead of stealing an electron microscope?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Ted_Haggard posted:

Also, any reason aside from no reasonable GM would let them that that bibliomancer couldn't burn a minor charge to know the book instead of stealing an electron microscope?

I can't imagine that having the knowledge of everything the Compte has ever done, ever forcibly inserted into your head is going to be a survivable experience.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I used that idea in a UA campaign I ran once, the players actually did end up breaking into a hospital to use their electron microscope. Deranged minds think alike!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I'm definitely of the mind that Greg is some kind of gaming god. ORE is pure genius.

I gm'd a few sessions of MaoCT, it was a blast. One of the kid's monsters was this giant steel-bearded viking with a guitar who radiated the power of :rock: metal :rock:. We were just about to move into Ross Payton's Road Trip campaign before we got Christmas'd and it all vanished into the ether.

And now I'm very sad I'm just now learning about Better Angels...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LordZoric posted:

On the minus side, you missed out on a great deal. On the plus side, you can wait for some actual reviews before committing any money at all. What if it's terrible? (it's probably not terrible, you missed out on a great deal)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

LordZoric posted:

I'm definitely of the mind that Greg is some kind of gaming god. ORE is pure genius.

I gm'd a few sessions of MaoCT, it was a blast. One of the kid's monsters was this giant steel-bearded viking with a guitar who radiated the power of :rock: metal :rock:. We were just about to move into Ross Payton's Road Trip campaign before we got Christmas'd and it all vanished into the ether.

awww, it's too bad you weren't able to run Road Trip. It's really fun from what I hear :toot:

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

awww, it's too bad you weren't able to run Road Trip. It's really fun from what I hear :toot:

I read through the book, and it does indeed look like a blast. Sucrose Park seems especially fun from some of the actual plays I've listened to. Gotta love an unholy mixture of Michael Jackson and Chuck E. Cheese.

A Dirty World and Wild Talents both seem amazing too. After years and years spent with Mutants and Masterminds I am dying to try a different supers system.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I pass this place every day on the way home from work: http://bar333.com.au/

It makes me think of UA.

Also this: http://www.snopes.com/disney/info/33myths.htm

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

clockworkjoe posted:

Too bad the dude who wrote it is such a horrible monster, geez!

I'm working on a couple of players now to try and do a MaOCT game now, either Road Trip or Curriculum of Conspiracy because we flatly do not have enough reliable players to do an epic D&D style game right now like they wanted. It's an uphill struggle, but I think I've got them on the ropes.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

SageNytell posted:

Too bad the dude who wrote it is such a horrible monster, geez!

Wait, what's this now? I only know Ross from some of the actual plays I've listened to on his site.

Edit: Durr I'm slow

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 31, 2012

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Ross *is* Clockworkjoe. The guy you were just talking to upthread. :eng101:

I was just being a pain in the rear end. He murdered me in my first Call of Cthulhu game as a player, I have the right to carry a grudge.

Fuckin' King in Yellow, geez.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 31, 2012

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Well gee, I feel like a dumb newbie now (I am). :downs: Hi Ross! I haven't been on RPPR for a while so I thought you'd gone and done something horrible. Thanks for staying awesome.

SageNytell posted:

He murdered me in my first Call of Cthulhu game as a player, I have the right to carry a grudge.

You just reminded me that I spent almost the entire session of my last CoC game being slowly turned into a zombie bee-man before I got my head blown off by the PC who wanted to date my character's sister.

Also count yourself lucky for having a group willing to try a system that doesn't involve rolling d20s, or was made after the 90s. That's kind of a issue with a good deal of the folk in my area.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

SageNytell posted:

Ross *is* Clockworkjoe. The guy you were just talking to upthread. :eng101:

I was just being a pain in the rear end. He murdered me in my first Call of Cthulhu game as a player, I have the right to carry a grudge.

Fuckin' King in Yellow, geez.

hahaha which scenario was that? Was that at a con or over Skype? I can't keep track of poo poo.

Also, yeah, I wrote Road Trip. I tend to use Sucrose Park as my fallback con game, since I've run it at least 6 or 7 times by now. It's an interesting experience getting to understand the timing and structure of a single scenario so well.

Anyway, speaking of Mr. Stolze, I played in a Call of Cthulhu game with him run by Scott Glancy this year at Gencon. I'll post the game in the next month or so. It's nearly 6 hours long. I also got some novel writing advice from him - mainly I need to outline more.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordZoric posted:

Also count yourself lucky for having a group willing to try a system that doesn't involve rolling d20s, or was made after the 90s. That's kind of a issue with a good deal of the folk in my area.
A good way to deal with this is to offer to GM some oneshots and run the game you want. People will often take "Willing to GM" over "Not my system", especially if they're not required to make a longterm commitment, and once they're playing in good faith the battel is half over.

You can also use these sessions to work out who's just a bit scared of change and needs a little prodding and who's being deliberatley lovely about new games on principle.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 1, 2012

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
My previous regular gaming group started out back in 2008, right around when 4E dropped, but we were all either newcomers or 3.5 veterans and in our grogdom had all sorts of strong opinions on 4E and refused to switch over. I managed to get the group onto Pathfinder for some of the incremental fixes but that took about 9 or so months. Trying another game system literally never came up.

What helped me was actually finding RPPR, ironically enough - listening to their APs showed me some other systems that I would have never otherwise have been exposed to. I offered to GM a few games, and I took advantage of Halloween 2010 to run our group's first game of Call of Cthulhu. It's a simple game to learn, a simple game to play, and it's an excellent jumping-off point for trying different systems. I've run half a dozen games of CoC and they've all been hits, although I've only been able to actually play in two games myself, both over Skype with Ross and Caleb.

From there we tried a bit of 4E, and then we finally moved to my favorite system, Wild Talents, which brings us back to topic quite nicely. I ran a short campaign of what basically amounts to a 1930's LoXG except with original characters, which I managed to bring to a close before our group disintegrated for various reasons. I should actually toss those up on the RPPR Community AP site, it's been long enough that posting them shouldn't ruffle anyone's feathers any longer.

While trying these systems, we got a good sense who wasn't comfortable playing new systems and who was enthusiastic but hadn't previously been granted any opportunities to try new stuff. After the dust settled from our first group a few of us who had liked non-D&D 3.5 stuff reformed a new group with some like-minded people and we've been trying to run a 13th Age epic fantasy game with mixed results - out of my 5 players I average 2 a session so we've mostly been playing board games while I try to segue into Monsters, which is much more friendly to a smaller group.

clockworkjoe posted:

hahaha which scenario was that? Was that at a con or over Skype? I can't keep track of poo poo.
I played Petra during one of the Kickstarter reward games, I think it was Night Hotel? I was the only one who made it literally through the entire scenario without either dying/going crazy/prematurely aging but then wiped from like 57 sanity to -20 when I tried to brute-force leaving Carcosa by daring to pass the King in Yellow. Fuckin' 1d100 sanity losses, geez. :cthulhu: It was a fun first time being a player in a Cthulhu game, though!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Yeah for us it was pretty much having to cast out a line (the line in this case meaning GMing a Dresden Files RPG game) and seeing who got into it or not. Several people within two sessions asked to switch the system to WoD. oWoD that is. :bang: One person flat out quit, and the ones that were left actually had a fun time. We did Apocalypse World a few months later to similar results.

Ultimately we wound up with about four or five people with that perfect combination of willingness to try new stuff and actually having time to do regular games so I can't really complain. We let the rest of the gamers in the area enjoy playing RIFTS over and over and complaining that everybody plays "that lovely fourth edition" at Gencon and nobody wants to do 3.5 or 2E anymore.

Anyway, getting back onto the topic of Mr. Stolze. I have to say that the article on role-playing games he wrote for the back of MaoCT is probably one of the best I've ever read. I recommend it to anyone in our area interested in getting into the hobby. It also really helped me solidify my GMing style.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LordZoric posted:

Anyway, getting back onto the topic of Mr. Stolze. I have to say that the article on role-playing games he wrote for the back of MaoCT is probably one of the best I've ever read. I recommend it to anyone in our area interested in getting into the hobby. It also really helped me solidify my GMing style.
Just for the record, both those articles are available at Greg's webpage. They're down at the bottom.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LordZoric posted:

Ultimately we wound up with about four or five people with that perfect combination of willingness to try new stuff and actually having time to do regular games so I can't really complain. We let the rest of the gamers in the area enjoy playing RIFTS over and over and complaining that everybody plays "that lovely fourth edition" at Gencon and nobody wants to do 3.5 or 2E anymore.

That's awesome, and I hope your post convinces others to do the same thing with their "group".

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ill-smoke-anything,10882/ - I feel like this is describing an Adept, but I can't find the paradox.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Count Chocula posted:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ill-smoke-anything,10882/ - I feel like this is describing an Adept, but I can't find the paradox.

I guess it would depend on the sort of powers you get by smoking everything. Smoking Hitler's mustache would definitely get you the most epic charge ever, though.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Baby Babbeh posted:

I guess it would depend on the sort of powers you get by smoking everything. Smoking Hitler's mustache would definitely get you the most epic charge ever, though.

A fossil of the first weed plant

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Maybe he's a variant Narco-Alchemist. Everyone dismisses him as 'just a stoner' until he pulls out some big powers. Bibliomancers HATE him because he's always smoking rare books.

Books absorb knowledge, body parts give you a characteristic associated with that person, etc. It lasts as long as the joint does. Honoring things by consuming them.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The plot of How High makes a lot more sense when you realize Method Man and Redman are bongmancer adepts.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

What's this first level minor charge bullshit? Let the Godwalker of first, second and third hand smoke show you how it's done:

There's only one way to know everything you know.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Some art I commissioned for a REIGN game or any other game with awesome warrior wizards.

Heavily inspired by the Empire of Mali and Ethiopia, by Loraine Schleter.

Warning, huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I made this as a cover for Better Angels, but it didn't pan out. Thought someone might get a kick out of it.
(hosting mine)