Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Is there an unlock that shows the hidden cases on your mini-map like the shrine one does? Early in the game they were easy to spot since they were always around an area with gang members, so I just looked for a red dot on the map, beat up the thugs, and grabbed the case. Now it seems the gang members respawn even if you've got the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is there an unlock that shows the hidden cases on your mini-map like the shrine one does? Early in the game they were easy to spot since they were always around an area with gang members, so I just looked for a red dot on the map, beat up the thugs, and grabbed the case. Now it seems the gang members respawn even if you've got the case.

You'll meet a girl in K-Bar later on that has that unlock :)

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
Have the paramedics ever saved anybody?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Capn Beeb posted:

You'll meet a girl in K-Bar later on that has that unlock :)

Good to know, thanks.

nous_ posted:

I've never seen it personally. They're pretty bad at their jobs.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nous_ posted:

They seem to have difficulties when i am shooting out the tires.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

nous_ posted:

This job sucks :(

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nous_ posted:

I think I saw them save a guy.

Might as well go and find out! :neckbeard:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Just unlocked Sing's outfit from Kung Fu Hustle.

Game of the year.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Megazver posted:

I think I saw them save a guy.

Might as well go and find out! :neckbeard:
I've seen them defib people sometimes but still never bring them back.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Croccers posted:

Yeah, tried running people over and just beating them up, and the dialogue is always the same. And even if it's a lady they still say "he's DOA".

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Croccers posted:

The first time I saw it, the guy did get back up and walk away, kinda surprised this hasn't happened for anyone else.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I'm short two lockboxes in North Point, and I swear the map some dude posted doesn't have them, either. :argh:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Invisible Ted posted:

The first time I saw it, the guy did get back up and walk away, kinda surprised this hasn't happened for anyone else.

I think I saw it once too, but now I've spent some time driving around being a serial murderer and I am starting to doubt my memory.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I'm short two lockboxes in North Point, and I swear the map some dude posted doesn't have them, either. :argh:

They're on the road to Victoria Peak.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Finished the game yesterday. All I am missing is two events that will net me the Events achievement, 100% achievement, and 75 gold stat award achievement.

Great game and the ending leaves much to be desired, but if they're making some worthy DLC I can settle on that.

If anyone wants to add me on Steam and beat my records or see if you've already beaten them just add madpinorage.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I was replaying missions for a few guns I'm missing when my 360 locked up. Rebooted, continue game, and now I can't select any missions from the phone. And I gotta start at the start. All of my collectibles and whatnot are unlocked, but I still have to redo all the missions.

What the gently caress, game.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Mad Pino Rage posted:

If anyone wants to add me on Steam and beat my records or see if you've already beaten them just add madpinorage.

Yea, I need more people on my list to see how my scores actually compare.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Skizi
Feel free to add me if you guys want to compare scores.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Call Now posted:

Man, Mrs. Chu is terrifying. :stare:

I love Mrs. Chu, and I had to laugh at the dude trying to intimidate Wei and Mrs. Chu towards the end of the game. I can't imagine two people less likely to be intimidated by a skinny punk with a lot of dead friends.

Finished the game and was a little underwhelmed by the ending, but the game itself was just tremendous fun and pretty much what I was looking for from the trailers. The fighting is great and I loved finding groups of thugs/fight clubs to take part in, in fact I was disappointed whenever a gun battle showed up because I would have far preferred fighting them all hand to hand.

I have a small number of collectibles left to grab and there are a couple of events I haven't done yet, other than that I'll have fully done everything to do in the game. I think I'm likely to still play it every so often just to take part in the fighting again, between this and the Arkham games I have some great "let off some steam and beat the poo poo out of some dudes" games to play.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

I managed to nudge Raymond outside but the game wouldn't let me grapple or hit him.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
You like an assassin that is also a Mets fan.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
The climax was blowing my mind with Wei apparently having the bodily resilience of Goku.

Beaten, stabbed with a drill, smacked around with a hammer, and several incisions made with a scalpel to top it off. During the escape he manages to shrug off the damage within about 3 minutes after waking up from his pain blackout. Then with a body count of like 100+ later, Wei eats a near point blank shotgun blast to the shoulder and gets blown up a bit before the final fist fight.

:psyduck:

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geKu7rlGkzY

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

slovach posted:

The climax was blowing my mind with Wei apparently having the bodily resilience of Goku.

Beaten, stabbed with a drill, smacked around with a hammer, and several incisions made with a scalpel to top it off. During the escape he manages to shrug off the damage within about 3 minutes after waking up from his pain blackout. Then with a body count of like 100+ later, Wei eats a near point blank shotgun blast to the shoulder and gets blown up a bit before the final fist fight.

Also:

That's why I liked the relatively low-key final moments. In a traditional game you would be using all your unlocked moves to have a huge high-octane final fight with the big bad. But thing is, I already know at that point that anyone who stands before me is going down, I'm just that good at the game by then, and I have all the moves. Making a big fuss out of me going Bruce Lee would have been a cliche and frankly just busywork. But having Wei be barely able to stand on his feet, having been tortured, battered, shot and blown up, and STILL knowing that he's going to kick some rear end before he finally falls down, then that makes for a better story and for a better confrontation. The ice chipper was just bonus.

It reminds me of the ending of The Saboteur in many ways. Two games (both awesome) that realise that sometimes a good story is best served by not always treating the final character you go up against as a video game boss.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, ____Smiler____ didn't strike me as a particularly dangerous threat in a one on one situation, and I liked that Wei is basically REALLY hosed up to level the playing field somewhat.

I consider the torturer (Tong?) the real "boss" in that he's a guy who seems pretty loving deadly in his own right, and I got a great deal of satisfaction out of dealing to him despite the fact I don't think he appears at any other point in the game, only referred to by others.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
Don't get the Top Dog DLC or the Red Envelope DLC, Top Dog just hands free police, triad, and face XP to you without any effort, and the red envelopes are hidden very poorly. There's one in front of every parking garage.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Why not just use the in game map? It highlights which ones you don't have.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Man, grinding cockfights is just mind-numbing. Is there a way to bet more than 30000?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Call Now posted:

Man, grinding cockfights is just mind-numbing. Is there a way to bet more than 30000?

The one in Kennedy Town lets you bet up to 100,000.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

slovach posted:

Also:

It wasn't even "near" point-blank, they were both inside the same room. And yeah, I was equally astonished that after killing the two guards in the torture room, Wei is just suddenly okay. I thought there was going to be some kind of stealth sequence where Wei has to sneak out and get some help, but he just suddenly shakes it off. And then it's that one shotgun round that slows him down. Why did he only have one round in that thing, anyway?

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Away all Goats posted:

Is it just me or is the last unlockable martial arts move kind of underwhelming? Sure, it's a knockdown after a counter but based on the icon and how it requires every other move to be unlocked, I was expecting a ridiculous powered kick that just ragdolled the enemy when you countered them.

I hope this is a bloodsport reference.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

thehumandignity posted:

It wasn't even "near" point-blank, they were both inside the same room.

A shotgun from inside a room will wreck your poo poo proper. The only thing that can kill Wei is Wei :black101:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I have problems with finding the Central fight club, the map shows a back alley but I can't find one. Also, on the other side of street there's a building with two secret stashes, a figurine and a healing shrine, how can I get in?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Call Now posted:

I have problems with finding the Central fight club, the map shows a back alley but I can't find one. Also, on the other side of street there's a building with two secret stashes, a figurine and a healing shrine, how can I get in?
For the back alley I think you have to trace it a bit. The fight club has a favour beside it so it should be open, but only from one side, I think it is somewhere across from the impound lot in Central.

If it's the healing shrine and figurine in Central I think you're talking about, you can platform up to the healing shrine but the figurine unlocks later in the game, since I believe it is one of the last of them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sober posted:

For the back alley I think you have to trace it a bit. The fight club has a favour beside it so it should be open, but only from one side, I think it is somewhere across from the impound lot in Central.

If it's the healing shrine and figurine in Central I think you're talking about, you can platform up to the healing shrine but the figurine unlocks later in the game, since I believe it is one of the last of them.

Its in the plaza/minimall bit, or rather around the back of it. Opposite the impound lot walk along the shop fronts, theres a set of double doors that open to some stairs, follow the stairs, out the back, you'll see the guy.

Edit to add, if you are in the bit with the cafe/people sitting eating/drinking, you are in the wrong bit. Go back out the door and to your... Left I think if you are facing the impound lot. You can get to the cafe bit from the fight club doors by jumping off the balcony, but you cant get back up.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Parkingtigers posted:

It reminds me of the ending of The Saboteur in many ways. Two games (both awesome) that realise that sometimes a good story is best served by not always treating the final character you go up against as a video game boss.

This is a sentiment I share 100%. I loved the final walk up the Eiffel Tower in The Saboteur, and I loved the final throw down with Big Smile Lee. By that point, you have punched, shot, kicked, stabbed, exploded, beaten and broken more men than any other Triad in existence, even just in the last four missions. Hell, you probably just cut and blasted your way through the entirety of Big Smile Lee's remaining men on your way to him. It's no longer a matter of proving you're a bad enough dude to avenge your sister and Jackie. You did that when you were leaping around a graveyard with a grenade launcher and turning the tide of a full-scale two-front assault on your turf single-handedly. Now it's just a matter of finishing what you came here to do before your death by a thousand cuts (and a shotgun blast) finally catches up to you. And there's just something so satisfying about seeing a brutalized and exhausted Wei still hand Big Smile Lee's rear end to him with a side of ice.

Dammit, now I need to go out and get The Saboteur again. I miss being a pyromaniac Irishman in Nazi France.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dr. Stab posted:

Why not just use the in game map? It highlights which ones you don't have.
Unless I missed something, the map only showed items that I had already collected. And the radar only shows items you're very close to.

Anyway, it turned out that they were on the Victoria Peak road like Oceanbound said, despite that being a road that connects to every area except North Point.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Unless I missed something, the map only showed items that I had already collected. And the radar only shows items you're very close to.

Anyway, it turned out that they were on the Victoria Peak road like Oceanbound said, despite that being a road that connects to every area except North Point.

If you have done the dates which give you the reward of revealing the various collectables, go to map screen and hit whichever button is next to the word "Collectables" (x on Xbox). The map now has the collectables on it. Grey is uncollected, white is collected (because thats not counter intuitive at all!). If you havent done the date sidemissions I cant even fathom how you would go about collecting all the boxes. The girl who reveals lockboxes is available to date in the mid/late game.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Is there some secret to winning cockfights, or are they just random? I just lost 6 in a row. At first I tried betting on the rooster with the most wins, but he lost every time. Then I mixed it up and bet on the one with no wins.....and still lost.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is there some secret to winning cockfights, or are they just random? I just lost 6 in a row. At first I tried betting on the rooster with the most wins, but he lost every time. Then I mixed it up and bet on the one with no wins.....and still lost.

I'd recommend that you head back to your aparments and make sure someone hasn't gone through and broken any of your vases, stolen your lucky statue, shifted your piano or stopped your clock at 4:44.

As far as I'm aware it's random.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ZombyDog posted:

I'd recommend that you head back to your aparments and make sure someone hasn't gone through and broken any of your vases, stolen your lucky statue, shifted your piano or stopped your clock at 4:44.

As far as I'm aware it's random.

Was anyone else upset that you only get to hang with Old Salty Crab once, and he only appears twice in the game? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Quick question--I think I'm about halfway through the game based on he stat screen Story Progression indicator, and my Triad experience is lagging well behind Police and especially Face (which is nearly eight.) Is there anything I can do to catch up? I've found police experience can easily be made up by doing drug bust side missions, but if there's an analogous one for triad experience I'm not aware of it. Am I missing something obvious? I don't want to be stuck at like triad level five or something at the end of the game and have little chance of getting 100%. I'd look it up elsewhere but I'm really enjoying the game blind-playing it and would rather not risk any spoilers.

• Locked thread