Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

grover posted:

If it's made up, it's at least soviet-vintage made up, but doesn't seem like something they'd go out of their way to fabricate.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Farmy.armor.kiev.ua%2Fengenear%2Fsobaka-mina.shtml

The part about training dogs to bomb tanks is true, but the anecdote about them blowing up Soviet tanks because :lol: Russians is almost certainly bullshit.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The part about training dogs to bomb tanks is true, but the anecdote about them blowing up Soviet tanks because :lol: Russians is almost certainly bullshit.

Yeah, you don't need crazy contraptions to kill enemy tanks if own tanks are available.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Pretty much this. I wall'o'texted on this a while back, but the tl;dr is that the punchline bit of the dog anecdote fits into a whole pattern of military myths where the somehow "backwards" nation or military gets too clever for their own good and ends up hurting themselves.

Basically any time that you can imagine a xenophobic, racist, hyper-patriotic shithead chuckling about "those people" when hearing the story you can assume it's either a totally unfounded myth or distorted in a really significant way.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty much this. I wall'o'texted on this a while back, but the tl;dr is that the punchline bit of the dog anecdote fits into a whole pattern of military myths where the somehow "backwards" nation or military gets too clever for their own good and ends up hurting themselves.

Basically any time that you can imagine a xenophobic, racist, hyper-patriotic shithead chuckling about "those people" when hearing the story you can assume it's either a totally unfounded myth or distorted in a really significant way.

So this is fake?

there's always something weirder and more true.

Cyrano: Deep breath. I am saying this in a zero-effort post with a dash of hyperbole.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 3, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

joat mon posted:

So this is fake?

there's always something weirder and more true.

Key words: "'backwards' nation or military," and "xenophobic, racist, hyper-patriotic shithead chuckling about 'those people.'" Stupid insane poo poo the U.S./U.K./Germany/other non-Eastern or Asian countries did is just good ol' fashioned Anglo-Saxon ingenuity at work.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

joat mon posted:

So this is fake?

Yes. That is the point I was making. Every single story, ever, involving a bungled or failed thing in the military is fake. It wasn't a point about how there is a pattern of exaggerated or flat out made up stories that frequently involve enemies or rivals of the US screwing up in ways that highlight, in an amusing fashion, supposed innate weaknesses or deficiencies in that group. I'm sure I also wasn't implying that a basic test of "does this story seem to have a humorous punchline" works pretty well for determining how much skepticism you should approach those sorts of anecdotes with.

There's no way that I was saying that in a zero-effort post with a dash of hyperbole.

Nope. I was saying that bat bombs specifically were fake, never happened, or whatever else you want.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's like that loving retarded story that goes around about the (insert minority of choice) dude who robbed a store, then ran outside into a group of Marines who were collecting Toys for Tots, stabbing one. The Marines purportedly then proceed to beat the poo poo out of him. The "news story" invariably blames his injuries on "tripping over". While this did actually happen, the suspect wasn't injured while being apprehended. The key is where the story will often include a laundry list of injuries, and that the suspect must have been clumsy *chortle* to trip over and manage to break both of his arms *snigger*

I'm pretty sure that if a group of Marines who were doing PR work actually beat the poo poo out of a civilian, regardless of what they had allegedly just done, they would be in a world of poo poo.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was saying that bat bombs specifically were fake, never happened, or whatever else you want.

gently caress you bat bombs were 100% real.

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 3, 2012

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
At least Canada was prepared in case of a nuclear exchange.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/09/why-does-canada-have-a-strategic-maple-syrup-reserve/261869/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We will survive :canada:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
NSFW: http://www.alanhamby.com/tigerfibel.shtml

Wehrmacht primer on the Tiger I. Complete with boobies.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

NSFW: http://www.alanhamby.com/tigerfibel.shtml

Wehrmacht primer on the Tiger I. Complete with boobies.

That book made the rounds among some friends of mine a few years back. The book is actually written with a ton of humor and some of it's still pretty chuckle worthy. The bit on gasoline and properly securing your extra fuel has a little poem that roughly translates out to "There are two sides to fuel / One makes you drive and one makes you fly." It then makes a point about how far you can drive with a few liters of gas, and how if the fuel system is leaky that same amount of fuel is spilled inside the cabin and evaporates into fumes and then sparks off exactly how high the turret will blow off the tank ("farther in the air than you can throw a rock" according to the booklet).

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

That book made the rounds among some friends of mine a few years back. The book is actually written with a ton of humor and some of it's still pretty chuckle worthy. The bit on gasoline and properly securing your extra fuel has a little poem that roughly translates out to "There are two sides to fuel / One makes you drive and one makes you fly." It then makes a point about how far you can drive with a few liters of gas, and how if the fuel system is leaky that same amount of fuel is spilled inside the cabin and evaporates into fumes and then sparks off exactly how high the turret will blow off the tank ("farther in the air than you can throw a rock" according to the booklet).

I have the printed version lying around somewhere. There is similar booklet about Panther tank. But Tiger one is funnier :)

Obgefr. Hülsensack :lol:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
From a pure graphic design standpoint, I love it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Groda posted:

From a pure graphic design standpoint, I love it.

You should take a look at Will Eisner's M-16 PM manual.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Can't have a manual and design conversation without the Harley Earl illustrated Flight Thru Instruments

http://www.flickr.com/photos/telstar/sets/72157603240365315/with/2049868833/

Aerodynamics involves rather a lot of scantily clad buff dudes.

And Hellcats work way better when they have lasers on them.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

AntiTank posted:

Yeah, you don't need crazy contraptions to kill enemy tanks if own tanks are available.

I think I actually came across brief mention of the anti-tank dogs in a Soviet tanker's translated journal, so while exaggerated it may not be entirely bullshit.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Warbadger posted:

I think I actually came across brief mention of the anti-tank dogs in a Soviet tanker's translated journal, so while exaggerated it may not be entirely bullshit.

This "the dogs couldn't recognize tank types so they blown own tanks instead :lol::lol:" story is bullshit.

There was a project to use dogs with explosives against tanks. It was born out of despair, one of the last resort things like building tanks out of tractors or handling out .22 rifles and shotguns to the recruits.
It didn't work well and nobody used bomb-dogs anymore.

But everyone knew about it at the times, because it's crazy and everybody likes dogs.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

AntiTank posted:

This "the dogs couldn't recognize tank types so they blown own tanks instead :lol::lol:" story is bullshit.

There was a project to use dogs with explosives against tanks. It was born out of despair, one of the last resort things like building tanks out of tractors or handling out .22 rifles and shotguns to the recruits.
It didn't work well and nobody used bomb-dogs anymore.

But everyone knew about it at the times, because it's crazy and everybody likes dogs.

I think I read something in "Inside the Soviet Army" about using dogs to blow things up where the dog was trained to bite down on a trigger on command. This was supposed to be A Thing in the 70s-mid 80s, although I'm not totally sure why. I'll see if I can dig the book up when I'm home from uni.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Vindolanda posted:

I think I read something in "Inside the Soviet Army" about using dogs to blow things up where the dog was trained to bite down on a trigger on command. This was supposed to be A Thing in the 70s-mid 80s, although I'm not totally sure why. I'll see if I can dig the book up when I'm home from uni.

Hahaha, nothing in this book is true.
Viktor Suvorov is a joke.

But according to the original idea the dog was supposed to carry the explosives to the tank, detach from them and activate a time fuse. Like so a trained dog would be able to destroy several tanks, pillboxes and other important targets.
It didn't work at all.

Edit: well, not at all, in controlled environment it did work, but not in the field.

AntiTank fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 5, 2012

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The US Navy has killer dolphins :ohdear:

all dolphins are killers

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

The US Navy has killer dolphins :ohdear:

all dolphins are killers

Pretty sure the Navy's dolphins are explosives detection animals, looking for limpet mines and the like. They have some trained sea lions for that too.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty sure the Navy's dolphins are explosives detection animals, looking for limpet mines and the like. They have some trained sea lions for that too.

Sure..... :tinfoil:

The Navy has some pretty valid reasons for not training them to be murder machines, but dolphins are the murdering psychopaths of the ocean world.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Sure..... :tinfoil:

The Navy has some pretty valid reasons for not training them to be murder machines, but dolphins are the murdering psychopaths of the ocean world.

I used to love dolphins, they're cute and awesome and save people from sharks.

Then I found out they also rape and kill for fun! Intelligence! :downs:

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Here are some links to a three-part article called One Day In The War - Wolf 20. The author is Andy Bush, a former F-4 and A-10 pilot during the Vietnam War and Cold War.

The article tells a "fictitious story set during the Vietnam War and will explain a number of aspects of controlling and using fighters in a combat scenario." Bush describes a four-ship CAS/CAP mission in the F-4 and goes into decent depth regarding fighter pilot lingo/terminology, radio communications, avionics, weapons, formations, and air-to-ground and air-to-air tactics etc.

Obviously I'm no fighter pilot, but my impression of the article is that the author's expertise and experience is self-evident, and it makes for fascinating reading.

http://www.simhq.com/_air9/air_270a.html
http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_044a.html
http://www.simhq.com/_air9/air_271a.html

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Crescendo posted:

Here are some links to a three-part article called One Day In The War - Wolf 20. The author is Andy Bush, a former F-4 and A-10 pilot during the Vietnam War and Cold War.

The article tells a "fictitious story set during the Vietnam War and will explain a number of aspects of controlling and using fighters in a combat scenario." Bush describes a four-ship CAS/CAP mission in the F-4 and goes into decent depth regarding fighter pilot lingo/terminology, radio communications, avionics, weapons, formations, and air-to-ground and air-to-air tactics etc.

Obviously I'm no fighter pilot, but my impression of the article is that the author's expertise and experience is self-evident, and it makes for fascinating reading.

http://www.simhq.com/_air9/air_270a.html
http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_044a.html
http://www.simhq.com/_air9/air_271a.html

Everything checks as far as I'm concerned...it's been mentioned before several times in the thread but if you want some more reading in that vein Ed Rasimus's When Thunder Rolled and Palace Cobra are pretty much required reading. The first is about his tour flying Thuds during Rolling Thunder and the second is about his tour flying Phantoms during Linebacker.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do the dolphins go along with the ships or what? Like is there a tank inside the USS Sillypants that stores dolphins until the vessels are docked?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Didn't you ever watch Seaquest: DSV? They swim around in the ductwork, GOD!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Oxford Comma posted:

Do the dolphins go along with the ships or what? Like is there a tank inside the USS Sillypants that stores dolphins until the vessels are docked?

Their two missions are mine hunting and force protection. Mine hunting they would be deployed by air from San Diego to wherever the mine field was, and then they'd go to work locating the mines so they can be cleared and/or a safe channel marked. We're not talking "sail along the ship on the open seas to look out for mines" here, it's more like a Gulf War scenario where you are trying to clear a channel for the Marine amphibious landing feint or Iraq 2003 where you are trying to remove the mines/booby traps from a port/oil terminal so you can get it operating again. So they would operate from shore or a tender, depending on whether they had access to the shore or not. Force protection is in a port (defending either the facilities or ships that are docked) so again, they would be deployed by air to the port and then would just operate from shore in the port.

Here's a picture of some dolphins being deployed by air in a C-17 (click for big):

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

iyaayas01 posted:

Their two missions are mine hunting and force protection. Mine hunting they would be deployed by air from San Diego to wherever the mine field was, and then they'd go to work locating the mines so they can be cleared and/or a safe channel marked. We're not talking "sail along the ship on the open seas to look out for mines" here, it's more like a Gulf War scenario where you are trying to clear a channel for the Marine amphibious landing feint or Iraq 2003 where you are trying to remove the mines/booby traps from a port/oil terminal so you can get it operating again. So they would operate from shore or a tender, depending on whether they had access to the shore or not. Force protection is in a port (defending either the facilities or ships that are docked) so again, they would be deployed by air to the port and then would just operate from shore in the port.

Here's a picture of some dolphins being deployed by air in a C-17 (click for big):

God I hope the dolphins are just airdropped in, wi cute li'l dolphin parachutes. :allears:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As a reward the dolphins are permitted to rape any enemy frogmen they disable/kill.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

iyaayas01 posted:

Everything checks as far as I'm concerned...it's been mentioned before several times in the thread but if you want some more reading in that vein Ed Rasimus's When Thunder Rolled and Palace Cobra are pretty much required reading. The first is about his tour flying Thuds during Rolling Thunder and the second is about his tour flying Phantoms during Linebacker.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

iyaayas01 posted:

Hey, I know the guy in the blue shirt in the back! :v:

priznat posted:

As a reward the dolphins are permitted to rape any enemy frogmen they disable/kill.
Yes, they can, it's in lieu of little fish.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

iyaayas01 posted:

Ed's a great guy and I mourn the loss of his mustache. Stupid chemotherapy.

He was diagnosed with stomach cancer a couple months ago, but he had two tours over Vietnam and they failed to kill him, so I don't think this will bring him down either.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhxhIUowGy4

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf1O13rNvB4

When he flies along the road it's the most criminal thing I've ever seen. And it makes me want to be a criminal too. :jeb::hf::black101:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Backfires are really great.

Click for loving huge

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

No wonder Britain needs austerity, wot with the BBC having its own strategic bomber fleet an' all

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nebakenezzer posted:

No wonder Britain needs austerity, wot with the BBC having its own strategic bomber fleet an' all

Gotta enforce those TV licensing rules somehow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/09/09/avro-arrow-redesign-pitched-as-alternative-to-f-35-stealth-fighter-jets/

:wtc:

Honestly I wish my fellow Canadians would get over this whole Avro Arrow mystique. Sure, it was possibly a great plane for its time, but jesus loving christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
:cawg: that they're trying to claim it's stealthy at all with those square-rear end intakes.