Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
I'm looking for a good and easy recipe for chicken pot pie. So help me out goons! I am located in SE Asia so there are some things that may be unavailable so don't get too fancy. I think I can find most ingredients though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make delicious yellow chicken curry, add into pie crust. Bake.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
What can I do with a shitload of blackberries? There are only so many you can eat with cream before you get bored. Me and baking don't mix, so a pie/tart is out unfortunately. I was thinking blackberry vodka but I'd just guzzle it early and disgustingly like the burgeoning alcoholic that I am. Seems like a waste.

Similarly - culinary uses for kiwi fruit? They're delicious but a pain in the arse to eat. The only thing that comes to mind is fruit salsa. Anyone got a favourite recipe? I usually just make something that's basically pico de gallo but with, y'know, fruit.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make jam

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Myopic posted:

What can I do with a shitload of blackberries? There are only so many you can eat with cream before you get bored. Me and baking don't mix, so a pie/tart is out unfortunately. I was thinking blackberry vodka but I'd just guzzle it early and disgustingly like the burgeoning alcoholic that I am. Seems like a waste.

Make crisps/crumble. I you said that baking and you don't mix, but it is very simple. Toss the berries with some sugar (don't need much) put in pan. Topping is just melted butter, flour, some oats, and whatever spices you like on berries. Cook for a while until browned.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does anyone have a good, as non-sweet as possible, courgette/zucchini pickle recipe?

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I have dried brown rice, dried black beans, full kitchen set, a rice cooker, spices, onions and garlic. How can I turn this into food? Cook the rice separately and mix it in with spicy beans of some kind?

Edit: I can pick up other ingredients pretty easily as well.

Fishes_Swim
Aug 18, 2003

Free the rigatoni
Does anyone have any fun ideas on what to do with a puffball mushroom? Found one of these things in the front yard this morning after some heavy rain. I've cooked puffball mushroom once before (and really enjoyed it), but it was a much smaller variety than this. The whole thing is roughly the size of a volleyball.

Most preparations I found on the internet were pretty uninspired and I have a whole lot of mushroom to cook up before it goes bad. I'm definitely tossing some in miso soup and will probably fry some and add it to an Alfredo pasta. I still think I'm going to have a ton left over though after that, so any fun suggestions are more than welcome!

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

This is a good idea, but I haven't had a crumble in forever so Dirty Phil's suggestion is happening. Thanks both.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fraction posted:

Thank you so much for this recipe, dino. I made it tonight (half of the recipe as I didn't want to use all my channa dal at once) and it was delicious. I served it with naan bread, as I wasn't sure whether it'd go with basmati rice or not, and I added a couple cloves of garlic, some tomatoes and a handful or so of peas. I'll definitely be making it again.
It would go with basmati rice just fine, but I find that for basmati, since it's so expensive and special, I tend to use it in pulao and biriyani and suchlike. Daal, since it doesn't benefit from perfect, separate long rice is long rice, gets eaten with regular long grain or short grain brown rice (depending on what I'm eating at the time).

quote:

Do you (or anyone!) know of any good websites/blogs that have similiar recipes to this? I really don't know where to begin to find stuff, but this was so good that I want to be able to make more meals like it in the winter.
PSSST. I have a blog. http://altveg.blogspot.com/

If there is anything you want more specifics on, just poke me in the vegan thread or in here, and I'll eventually get to it. Or shoot me an email to altveg at me dot com, and I'll reply. :)

EVG posted:

Thanks, Dino! I would like to purchase your book. Is there a preferred Amazon link, or do you get more out of it if I send you PayPal or something?

Nah, just get it wherever they offer you free shipping/best price. I have Amazon Prime, so I tend to use Amazon and get their free shipping, but if you're not in the USA, or don't want to spend $25 on Amazon, just go to Book Depository and get it there: http://www.bookdepository.com/Alternative-Vegan-Dino-Sarma/9781604865080

They actually had the book before Amazon when it first came out, so my friend in Australia was all "I got it already, Dino. Everyone else is waiting." with his smug face on.

Econosaurus posted:

I have dried brown rice, dried black beans, full kitchen set, a rice cooker, spices, onions and garlic. How can I turn this into food? Cook the rice separately and mix it in with spicy beans of some kind?

Edit: I can pick up other ingredients pretty easily as well.
You have all the stuff to make Gallopinto: http://www.wikihow.com/Prepare-Gallo-Pinto
My favourite mix of spices are cumin seeds and coriander seeds, popped in hot fat, and about 3 cloves of garlic added with the onions.

If you'd like something EXTREMELY delicious, I'd suggest Jamaican Rice and Peas:
http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/rice_and_peas.htm

Oh my god it changed my life. I personally don't add the coconut milk with the rice. Instead, I like to add it at the end, when everything is cooked through, and give the whole dish a more creamy texture. Especially in the case of brown rice, this will improve the taste exponentially. Please search for fresh thyme, as it really makes all the difference in this dish.

I'm guessing you can tell which dish I really want you to attempt. :)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, I wanna make mashed potatoes but seems like a lot of recipes use a lot of heavy cream or butter to get good consistency and flavor. Is it possible to make great-tasting mashed potatoes without a lot of added fat? I'm cooking for my family and they're pretty calorie-conscious.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Half turnips or radishes, half potatoes, rice, add a touch of butter, salt and pepper.

Edit: run them through a ricer, don't add rice

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

dino. posted:

You have all the stuff to make Gallopinto: http://www.wikihow.com/Prepare-Gallo-Pinto
My favourite mix of spices are cumin seeds and coriander seeds, popped in hot fat, and about 3 cloves of garlic added with the onions.

While I work on getting fresh Thyme, roughly how much corriander and cumin do you put in?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Econosaurus posted:

While I work on getting fresh Thyme, roughly how much corriander and cumin do you put in?

Y'know what? Make daal. Make all the daal. Then combine it with rice, cook together, and you're set.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka

Start with about 1 cup of the black beans to get 2 cups of cooked beans, and go from there. I've got all the proportions for spices calibrated to those amounts. :)

The one time I try to not tell someone to daal, I realise that I'm being an idiot. Always tell someone to make daal. It's the right choice.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Casu Marzu posted:

Half turnips or radishes, half potatoes, rice, add a touch of butter, salt and pepper.

Edit: run them through a ricer, don't add rice

What if, hypothetically, I didn't own a ricer?

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

dino. posted:

Y'know what? Make daal. Make all the daal. Then combine it with rice, cook together, and you're set.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka

Start with about 1 cup of the black beans to get 2 cups of cooked beans, and go from there. I've got all the proportions for spices calibrated to those amounts. :)

The one time I try to not tell someone to daal, I realise that I'm being an idiot. Always tell someone to make daal. It's the right choice.

But I already prepped to make Gallo pinto :smith:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I have been brining my own corned beef for the last few days for the first time ever and tomorrow I am going to cook it.

Generally I just cook it on the stove in a pot of water, but theres gotta be a better way right? Maybe a slow braise? A very long low roast? Anyone have a suggestion?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

FishBulb posted:

I have been brining my own corned beef for the last few days for the first time ever and tomorrow I am going to cook it.

Generally I just cook it on the stove in a pot of water, but theres gotta be a better way right? Maybe a slow braise? A very long low roast? Anyone have a suggestion?

I put mine in the crock pot with Guinness and let it go all day on low, and it's fabulous.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Hi all, my grandmother has been canning hot peppers in an incredible sweet brine for as long as I can remember. The batch she made most recently however, by her own admission, sucks. The brine is just not very tasty. I was wondering if I could dump out the brine and put something else in there to make them taste a bit better? Any suggestions?

Not to all of them at once mind you, just as I open them haha

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jmcrofts posted:

Hey guys, I wanna make mashed potatoes but seems like a lot of recipes use a lot of heavy cream or butter to get good consistency and flavor. Is it possible to make great-tasting mashed potatoes without a lot of added fat? I'm cooking for my family and they're pretty calorie-conscious.
Make mash out rutabagas (yellow turnips) instead. It starts with more flavor than potatoes, and since they don't have starch capsules you can run them through the food processor without worrying about them turning into glue.

Or, alternatively, make sweet potato mash. Tons of flavor without needing sugar or fats!

Honestly, gently caress potatoes.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

I've had good results with light (I'm sorry "Lite") sour cream.

A while ago, I bought two hams on sale. One I froze, and one I cooked. The one I cooked, I washed twice, but in the end was still inedibly salty. Now it's time to cook ham #2 - so how can I get rid of all that salt? I thought about soaking the ham in a tub of water, but I don't want it to be waterlogged.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yogurt also works really well. I was out of sour cream once and substituted with some Greek yogurt, now that's how I always do it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jmcrofts posted:

Buy a ricer. Seriously. My ricer is one of the best things I use in the kitchen.

If you don't want to add loads of fat, but still want mashed potato without any parsnip adulteration, you can use semi-skimmed milk or crème fraîche.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm probably some kind of barbarian here, but I generally just do salt, pepper, a pat of butter, and if I didn't cook the potatoes long enough, maybe a tiny bit of potato water. I love the taste of potatoes, though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Different kinds of potatoes will give you different textures, too. If you can't get the texture you want without a lot of dairy, switch to a different potato variety.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

Yogurt also works really well. I was out of sour cream once and substituted with some Greek yogurt, now that's how I always do it.

This sounds pretty good actually, since I have a tub of greek yogurt in the fridge.

Also thanks everyone else for the tips. I think I'm going to go with a mix of Russet and red potatoes with a little yogurt and see how that goes.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

I'd get a food mill instead. :colbert:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
After moving out of home I am now about to start a dreaded and scary to me challenge. Cooking something not in a microwave.

My first question is to go somewhere I have never been before. The egg isle of the supermarket. What kind of egg should I buy, or ones to avoid? How long can I keep them in the fridge before use? Does it matter where in the fridge I put them - should I leave them in the egg casket or put them in the side of the door where the traditional location is?

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
I'm a safety and sanitation conscious cook and I have to ask an odd question.
I have a -horrible- allergy to bleach (Even a cap full in the laundry breaks me out in a rash. :( ) and can't use it.

Can I sanitize and clean cutting boards and surfaces with an alternate type of cleaner or substance? Such as antibacterial DAWN or another option. I.E Vinegar.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Economy Clown Car posted:

I have a -horrible- allergy to bleach (Even a cap full in the laundry breaks me out in a rash. :( ) and can't use it.

Can I sanitize and clean cutting boards and surfaces with an alternate type of cleaner or substance? Such as antibacterial DAWN or another option. I.E Vinegar.

Just use soap and warm water.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just use soap and warm water.

I guess that proves occam's razor is a fine kitchen implement as well. Now I feel silly. :shobon:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I guess that proves occam's razor is a fine kitchen implement as well. Now I feel silly. :shobon:

someone posted th elink either in this thread or the GWS product thread, but basically wood and plastic clean up pretty well with soap and water. You can put most plastic cutting boards in the dishwasher as well.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is soap okay on bamboo?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

Is soap okay on bamboo?

it's what I use. Just remember to oil the board periodically, and never put it in the dishwasher.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Comstar posted:

After moving out of home I am now about to start a dreaded and scary to me challenge. Cooking something not in a microwave.

My first question is to go somewhere I have never been before. The egg isle of the supermarket. What kind of egg should I buy, or ones to avoid? How long can I keep them in the fridge before use? Does it matter where in the fridge I put them - should I leave them in the egg casket or put them in the side of the door where the traditional location is?

You want to be sure to get match-grade eggs or else you might jam your fridge. They're the ones in the black cartons next to the cereals.

Typically you want to age them a bit before you use them, a month or two is good enough, but you have to be sure to keep them in the dairy drawer of your fridge. Anywhere else and the embryos will start developing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Comstar posted:

For the most part eggs are eggs. The more expensive brands are typically free-range and/or organic, but the difference (when you're buying mass-produced supermarket eggs) isn't as noticeable. You can, however, find great fresh eggs at most farmers' markets. Open the carton and inspect the eggs before you buy them to check for broken shells and leaks.

Eggs last for several weeks in the fridge. It shouldn't matter if you put them in the door or not; they're fairly resistant to spoiling so the slight difference in temperature won't affect anything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I dunno about on cutting boards, but using 50/50 vinegar/water is great for a general spray bottle cleaner.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

As a homebrewer, I use a properly diluted star san solution in a spray bottle. Tasteless, odorless, works well on all surfaces including cutting boards.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Eggs really don't need to be kept in the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

Eggs really don't need to be kept in the fridge.

That's a bit of a :can: in the US because our eggs tend to be washed off to the point that it strips away a coating that helps keep germs out. At least, that's the usual reason given why our eggs are in the refrigerated section and the USDA recommends refrigeration at home.