Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrocrag
Oct 22, 2004

True love at last
Been looking for a cherokee in my area for awhile now. Finally found one that looks halfway decent. I wanted a stock jeep but this one looks pretty nice.

http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/3223334994.html

Does this seem like a decent deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Agrocrag posted:

Been looking for a cherokee in my area for awhile now. Finally found one that looks halfway decent. I wanted a stock jeep but this one looks pretty nice.

http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/3223334994.html

Does this seem like a decent deal?

Isn't 2000 the year with the head issues?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
00 and 01 are the years with head issues. Also that price is a bit high IMO (6500 and it has a bashed up fender and what appears to be stock axles?) but I don't know how california XJ prices are compared to northeast. If you want a decently built jeep for a fair price check the socal chapter classifieds forum on NAXJA.

A friend's jeep from the wheeling run I went on over the weekend:

not my jeep, not my picture. I did end up strapping it down the trail to the road though, his fuel pump crapped out. So we strapped him to another friend's XJ, then me to the J20, and carefully drove to the trailhead. I acted as brakes and the XJ was the motor, there really wasn't much in the way of steering due to a broken axleshaft jamming the steering knuckle up.

He works for his dad at their garage/junkyard/metals recycling facility so they were ahead of the game, having brought the jeep to the trail using the company tow truck. No AAA for these guys, they're pros at having broken jeeps.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I love how retro that truck is.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

kastein posted:

00 and 01 are the years with head issues. Also that price is a bit high IMO (6500 and it has a bashed up fender and what appears to be stock axles?) but I don't know how california XJ prices are compared to northeast. If you want a decently built jeep for a fair price check the socal chapter classifieds forum on NAXJA.

A friend's jeep from the wheeling run I went on over the weekend:

not my jeep, not my picture. I did end up strapping it down the trail to the road though, his fuel pump crapped out. So we strapped him to another friend's XJ, then me to the J20, and carefully drove to the trailhead. I acted as brakes and the XJ was the motor, there really wasn't much in the way of steering due to a broken axleshaft jamming the steering knuckle up.

He works for his dad at their garage/junkyard/metals recycling facility so they were ahead of the game, having brought the jeep to the trail using the company tow truck. No AAA for these guys, they're pros at having broken jeeps.

Why is the rear diff offset? I'm no truck/Jeep expert but I've never seen an offset rear diff

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Veins McGee posted:

Why is the rear diff offset? I'm no truck/Jeep expert but I've never seen an offset rear diff

My Dana20 (??) T-case in my CJ-2A has an offset rear output too. Not all jeeps have a center drive in the rear.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
They were all passenger drop through 79 because of the D20 and BW1339 transfer cases.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I've posted this old ad in here before, but it never gets old to me.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ManicJason posted:

I've posted this old ad in here before, but it never gets old to me.

Rhino grille makes it 10x more macho.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Got out a little bit this weekend on Naches...not too bad of flex for a 3" OME kit (+longer shocks, 1.5" shackles, ACOS.) Could have gone a little higher with more stump and taller coils though -- passenger side was completely unloaded.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Beep beep, I got a new Jeep!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

gileadexile posted:

Beep beep, I got a new Jeep!

Already marking its territory I see.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hey there, '02 WJ buddy. I've got a black Overland myself. How's yours drive? When I first got mine, I had quite a bit of binding from the TC and diffs, but changing the fluids for the correct stuff fixed it. Other "they all do that" minor niggles manifest themselves from time to time, but it's great, like a friendly lolloping V8 St Bernard.

http://wjjeeps.com/ is great for reference info on them, too.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

commissargribb posted:

Already marking its territory I see.

To be fair, that's where the rain dripped off the side onto the ground.

No puddles or leaks, engine has great power. Unfortunately, the stealership had it's own mechanics rework the exhaust, so it's quiet as hell and it sounds like there could be a small leak in the front somewhere. :iiam:

And yeah, it makes a sort of whirring sound in the rear end, the dealer said he was going to replace the whole rear for me, but I was thinking that it just had the wrong fluid in it maybe, and to just try flushing out the old stuff and putting in new. Dunno though, it's going to be a free job, but it's going to be a while before he gets the axle and I don't want to cause any sort of damage or something.

I didn't really plan on getting a WJ, as I thought it was going to be way outside my budget, but my grandfather has worked with the owner before, bought his most recent car there, and I got a pretty drat good price for it. Interior is spotless, except for a sticker on the blackhat sticker on the rearview mirror and a WVU sticker on the moonroof. Ugh.

For the longest time I had my heart set on an '04 Overland because I wanted the HO, but I kinda fell backwards into this deal and it rides pretty good, so I can't complain about the lack of the extra horses. The stock stereo is pretty good, but I'd like to add to it a little. Nothing extreme like last time, I'd like just a small powered subwoofer or something small. Or is that looked down on here, I dunno, I'm pretty new.

Any other things to look out for? The blend doors look alright (so far) and it has new(ish) front rotors, new radiator and trans cooler..unfortunately, it also has those weird aftermarket headlights. I can live with em, but please don't send the mobs after me for em!

Anyway, any advice would be awesome, I put over a hundred miles on it yesterday, went over the mountain in the background of the picture you see on a fireroad, fun as hell. Had the windows down, the moonroof open, Queen's performance at Wembley on the stereo and my girlfriend in the passenger seat. Most fun I've had in a year!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Sorry about your moonroof.

I kid, I kid. If it's made it this far, it's either already been fixed or is miraculously well-built.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I believe there was an optional sub that fits behind the rear seat, but I don't know about its compatibility with the different sound systems available.

Also, my roof is fine too. I wasn't aware there was a common issue with them?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I forgot to post in here when I got my new truck. I sold my highly modified 04 Acura TSX and gave my 96 XJ (I live in CT, so the floor pan was held together with hopes, dreams, and scraps of carpet) to a good friend because he and his family could use the extra vehicle.

And then I bought this. 2012 WK2, Pentastar V6 in Stone White with Altitude package. I'm in love. I wanted one comfortable, modern, good looking, all-weather capable daily driver and this does everything I want and more. Panoramic roof, integrated nav, BlueTooth, Uconnect, Sirius radio, sweet stock stereo with a powered sub in the back. It may not make me part of the Cool Kids XJ Wheeling Club but damnit its' a Jeep. :)

Mods include: 35% front window tint (not pictured) and WeatherTech mats. And I plan to keep it that way.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Wamsutta posted:

Mods include: 35% front window tint (not pictured) and WeatherTech mats. And I plan to keep it that way.

not even going to swap those hilarious tires?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

commissargribb posted:

not even going to swap those hilarious tires?

For the kind of driving I do, I don't have a need for anything different. I like the look. I'm definitely not replacing them before they're worn out, at any rate.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Go with 40" mudders

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So apparently the new Turbodiesel Grand Cherokees are out, because I saw a brand new one yesterday with a Diesel tag on the back.

Now Fiat powered!

I wish they'd resurrect the XJ...this luxury vehicle crap is making me sad.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 7, 2012

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I read a thing that said there was going to be a new Cherokee based on some Fiat platform now that the Liberty is dead.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

CommieGIR posted:

I wish they'd resurrect the XJ...this luxury vehicle crap is making me sad.

I wish they'd ressurrect the early CJ... as a small utility vehicle. Like a big cousin to a John Deere Gator.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 7, 2012

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

BoostCreep posted:

I was turning left at an intersection the other night and an elderly woman driving a Mercedes SUV decided she wanted to go instead, even though she got to the intersection after I did. She ran into the passenger side of my XJ and pushed me a good 5-6 feet before her passenger finally reached over and told her to stop. My dog was in the car, so that was my biggest concern, but we're both fine.

So after the insurance adjuster finally came to check out the damage, this is what a totalled XJ looks like:

Tow truck came today and towed away my XJ. RIP little buddy.

The good news is it looks like my insurance company agrees that I'm not at fault and is trying to recover my deductible, so that means I should have close to $7k to find another Jeep. I'm going to be looking at '06-10 Grand Cherokees and Commanders. I'm hoping not to spend more than 4k out of pocket, and between the offroad parts I had on the XJ and the $7k I should hopefully be able to find one.

I'll be selling the Cragar soft 8 wheels with 31" BFG ATs, OEM front and transfer case skid plates (the gas tank plate would have been a bitch to get off since it had the stock tow package so I left it on), Rusty's front tow hook kit, and AJ's Offroad rock rails. I didn't have the time or patience to get the Rough Country 3" lift out, and I left my Napier Precious fender flares on since one was demolished and another was scratched from the accident. Oh well. Hopefully all that will add another $1,500 or so to help pay for the new Jeep.

I'm trying to find the WK holy grail (the Limited with the 5.7 Hemi, tow package, Quadra-Drive II) for under 12 grand, which I have been seeing around with higher mileage (90-100k), so hopefully I can make a deal for that or a Commander with the same options.

Like this: http://tinyurl.com/9w5rx88

Or this: http://tinyurl.com/8w6r8pf

From everything I've been reading and watching on YouTube, QDII is amazing and will easily handle everything I'll be doing with this Jeep. I'll just be doing a 2" lift most likely with new 31" tires and leave it at that.

Hopefully I will have as much luck mechanically as I had with my XJ. 146k miles and running like a top.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I bet a Commander would look pretty awesome with a solid axle swap.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

The power switch in my XJ's driver side door to lock/unlock my doors is now only working the other doors. The driver door won't lock or unlock with it, but it makes a buzzing sound from that door when I throw the switch. It sounds like it wants to work, but won't.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Could it be a broken wire? I know sometimes my speaker will cut out too if I open the door too much. What is the easy/cheap way to fix that if it's the case?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doing a bunch of data collection on a few different vehicles. Wondering in regards to the Wrangler Rubicon, what is the generally accepted sweet spot year to buy at this point is? That is, what is the best year to price/value right now? Assuming an averagely well maintained vehicle.

e- Haven't done a breakdown but assuming I want a JK.

soy fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 9, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

soy posted:

Doing a bunch of data collection on a few different vehicles. Wondering in regards to the Wrangler Rubicon, what is the generally accepted sweet spot year to buy at this point is? That is, what is the best year to price/value right now? Assuming an averagely well maintained vehicle.

e- Haven't done a breakdown but assuming I want a JK.

Get a 2013 if you are looking at JKs, they have the new pentastar engine. JKs before then have the 3.7 minivan engine that just kinda sucks. Or go further back and get a TJ rubicon with the 4.0.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

EightBit posted:

Get a 2013 if you are looking at JKs, they have the new pentastar engine. JKs before then have the 3.7 minivan engine that just kinda sucks. Or go further back and get a TJ rubicon with the 4.0.

2011 and previous JKs actually have the 3.8, which sucks even more than the 3.7 in my limited experience. If you get a JK get a pentastar for sure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Pentastar hit the Wrangler in '12, along with a new (Mercedes-sourced) automatic. Without question it's the best auto I've ever driven (I've only driven normal consumer-level cars and trucks, Big-3, Japanese, VW, etc).

I wouldn't look at '11 or earlier...the new engine is that good. That said, there's a valve seat issue with a lot of Pentastars, but Chrysler has finally owned up to it and is replacing the head. That's the only fix, it's a casting issue (some dealers aren't really following the story, but corporate is finally doing the right thing). The engine ticks noticeably anyway, but the symptom is REALLY loud ticking...there are youtube videos that demonstrate the difference.

It's still worth it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ornery owl posted:

The power switch in my XJ's driver side door to lock/unlock my doors is now only working the other doors. The driver door won't lock or unlock with it, but it makes a buzzing sound from that door when I throw the switch. It sounds like it wants to work, but won't.

Sounds like you need a new lock actuator. Depending on the age of your XJ, it's either a cheap, individually replaceable part from hell (old) or integrated into the door latch assembly (newer).

brains
May 12, 2004

went out in the jeep yesterday! it was so nice out, plus since i've moved to colorado springs i've been seriously craving to drive up cheyenne mountain like every day.

the view from the top

looking down at the road ahead

there's the jeep! it looks so small from up there

picked up an awesome cliffside trail for a bit

cutting through a really cool-looking pass

crusing through the woods

climbing up to the top

gorgeous views everywhere

the jeep in its natural habitat
]
picked up a pretty serious trail

lots of rocks and tight turns, it was great

it was pretty much the entire length of the backside of the mountain, took us like 3 hours haha

the view of the springs on the way back down was the best of the day

had a great time, even met up with a couple more jeeps while we were out there and ended with a group 4 deep, it was a great day. no major problems for our group, but a bright orange jk came up the trail we were on and had the rear left caliper completely fall off, both bolts sheared and the brake line popped off. no idea how they managed that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The local guys went up one of the canyons yesterday and a TJ (I think) had 4 of the 5 lugs shear off his RR wheel right around sundown. Somehow they pressed out a couple from the other rear to get him out. The jeep also tipped off the hi-lift and 3 or 4 bottle jacks they were using. A flashlight-holder got a pretty good cut from the bumper, but no serious injuries fortunately.

I think I want one of those exhaust-inflated balloon jacks.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

My '12 Wrangler has the Pentastar 6-Speed manual and it is a boss engine. Getting 20-22mpg city and I've gotten as high as 30 on flat land highway driving. I don't have the ticking mentioned earlier but it's only got about 3500 miles on it so far, maybe it will show up in time.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
A good jeep engine that doesn't tick would just make people confused.

brains
May 12, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

My '12 Wrangler has the Pentastar 6-Speed manual and it is a boss engine. Getting 20-22mpg city and I've gotten as high as 30 on flat land highway driving. I don't have the ticking mentioned earlier but it's only got about 3500 miles on it so far, maybe it will show up in time.

you know, one of the biggest reasons i got my TJ over the then-new JKs was that everyone said the engine was weak and very underpowered. now that they're putting pentastars in, i'm seriously considering switching to the dark side. i really love my TJ, with the sole exception of the 12-15mpg it gets, but i'm liking the new rubicons more and more.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
No pictures of my jeep actually wheeling because I haven't gotten them from people who took them yet, but here's a few of one of my buddies on the trail behind me.

These would actually make a pretty good animated GIF now that I think about it...

First:

Second:

Was a tough trail but pretty fun, I surprisingly broke nothing, on Saturday I only had to be winched once and yanked with a strap once (each for no more than 2-3 feet) and didn't break down at all, which surprised everyone in my jeep club. The best part? Ended up pulling several jeeps out and some of my spare parts ended up on someone else's jeep, it's always a good day when I do more pulling and fixing on other jeeps than on mine.

Sunday we were no more than 300 feet into the trail when the first person got stuck, a bunch of TJs YJs and JKs winched or had to back up and try a few times, a CJ destroyed an axleshaft... I chewed up a whole lot of sheetmetal but made it to the top of the obstacle in one try. Second obstacle was supposedly easier for short wheelbase jeeps, still made it in one try, though there's a spiral dent in my rear driveshaft now. I didn't honestly expect to make it up either one, but ended up planning my lines pretty well and got lucky/somehow stayed on them.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I've finally decided to stop putting off putting new brakes on my Cherokee. Is the preferred combination still Hawk LTS pads and the cheapest rotors I can find? All things being equal, I do have a preference for Advance Auto but I'm not married to them.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Centric Rotors are the most recommended rotor I've found and their fairly cheap. I splurged and got the "premium" versions for something like $40 a piece. The Standard ones are about $25 each.

As for pads, I've seen either EBC Yellows or "Black Magic Pads" http://blackmagicbrakes.com/ They're a bit expensive though.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012

mattfl posted:

I'm either going to get those or the LOD Rock sliders

http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16136&cat=249&page=1

Nice thing about the LOD is they attach to the frame and not into the body mounts like the Ace. I've heard nothing but good things about the Ace though and you can't beat the price.

Oh, finally got my lift installed.

3.25" Rough Country

And a Rough Country Performance Steering Stabilizer.

I love it. It's like a whole new Jeep, even rides better than stock.

I ran that steering stab setup for about 6 months on my JK, though I used the dual stab. Any sort of heavy articulation causes the brackets on the axle to rotate downward, resulting in that bulky centerpiece grinding on the tie rod. I tried everything I could think of to stop them from doing it, but the only solution I ever came up with was to just weld them to the axle.

When the center gets into the tie rod it pops off your traction loss hazard light on the cluster, so at least you generally know when it's happened.