Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I thought the expression of the kid was perfectly in tune with the setting. Also the fact that he's going left and with little space to go, adds a good amount of tension.

Shattered di maxmars70, su Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
A random/interesting person in Washington, DC. I just moved to Baltimore, so I'll be getting some even more interesting people soon I imagine!

Hula by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Pukestain Pal posted:

A random/interesting person in Washington, DC. I just moved to Baltimore, so I'll be getting some even more interesting people soon I imagine!

Hula by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr
Incredible look for a candid photo.

My hosting:

Ellis Island is never a trip to be taken lightly. Hours of travel and boredom break even the strongest spirit.

s0meb0dy0 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 16, 2012

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby
I had a great time in Japan these last two weeks, but I totally regret not getting down to more street photography. I've been feeling really rusty lately so the little shooting I did do was a good kick-start to get me taking more photos in general.

渋谷の朝 2 by dick town, on Flickr

渋谷の朝 3 by dick town, on Flickr

渋谷の朝 1 by dick town, on Flickr

石巻市の神社 by dick town, on Flickr

渋谷 by dick town, on Flickr

原宿へ行く by dick town, on Flickr

X2 by dick town, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

This is really cool, but I think it would work really well as a square crop, showing less of the horizontal lines.

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby

X箱 by dick town, on Flickr

How's this looking? I'm usually never brave enough to do anything as exotic as a square crop.
I prefer it this way, actually. Good call.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I like that a lot better. It's a really cool effect with the street lines, but so many of them is kind of straining on the eyes in my opinion.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I reprocessed an old picture. Not done that and published the duplicate before. How often do you guys do that or do you just replace the old picture?

21:19. by Clwn, on Flickr

widunder
May 2, 2002

Ilford 400 through Canon AV-1 with 50mm 1.8.

widunder fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 26, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Haha I used to live there and commute through that station every day.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Clown posted:

I reprocessed an old picture. Not done that and published the duplicate before. How often do you guys do that or do you just replace the old picture?

21:19. by Clwn, on Flickr
I put it to you that it was in fact 21.18.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
More old ones. The time is pretty accurate on this one!

18:44. by Clwn, on Flickr

Canary Wharf. by Clwn, on Flickr

Clown fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 26, 2012

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
A street shot that isn't black and white? What has come over me!

Gabriel Wharf. by Clwn, on Flickr

Southbank. by Clwn, on Flickr

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.
This definitely took place on a street. I'm not sure if I should crop the bottom off some more or not.

Teachers on strike in Kathmandu by alangrainger, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

777 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I really enjoyed going out and trying to shoot street photography with an emphasis on colour in mind. My only other attempt with film was with Tmax a couple months back and I really didn't know what to focus on.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nice man, real nice.
In a similar vein:

I thought the orange tied it all together nicely.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

I like this one a lot.

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.
Better than my last effort.

Crutch by alangrainger, on Flickr

Metalslug fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 3, 2012

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

I've been keeping tabs on your photos, and I've wanted to tell you're really toeing the line between "pretty good shot" and "TRULY AMAZING CAPTURE!!" If you really like the processing then great, but I think you're too liberal with the clarity (?) slider.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is it not shot on film??
I find them very evocative but I'm a sucker for high contrast b/w.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

ash with a five posted:

I'm a sucker for high contrast b/w.

Me too! They are good as far as tones go.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

N'thing the enjoyment of those photos. High contrast B&W is where I want to live.

Also the fact that you're using a 5N gives me a LOT of hope because that's the digital camera I am most likely going to replace my D200 with.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 3, 2012

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

Waterloo. by Clwn, on Flickr

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
Here's a dirt road moment:

IMG_3562-3 by herd of mongeese, on Flickr

mongeese fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 4, 2012

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback, I seriously appreciate it. I am literally a photographic baby; before July the only photos I took were point-and-shoot drunken shots at parties...

LargeHadron posted:

I've been keeping tabs on your photos, and I've wanted to tell you're really toeing the line between "pretty good shot" and "TRULY AMAZING CAPTURE!!" If you really like the processing then great, but I think you're too liberal with the clarity (?) slider.

Is this just the b&w or the colour work as well?

I completely agree with you on the first photo. I did that using a bit of HDR software because I'd just discovered HDR and I was super excited. :rolleyes:

The second one there I am pretty happy with. I am definitely a sucker for high contrast, or at least B&W with *real* blacks in it. This shot was taken really early in the morning with an ISO of 2500 (I can't believe I know what that means now...), so I think perhaps it's too grainy, but not much I can do about that.

Again, greatly appreciate the feedback.

edit:

Martytoof posted:

Also the fact that you're using a 5N gives me a LOT of hope because that's the digital camera I am most likely going to replace my D200 with.

I absolutely love it! I've never used a camera with a viewfinder so I can't comment on it being better/worse, but I find it such an easy camera to work with. The focus tracking is amazing - tap on an object on the screen and it will keep the focus on it while you move the camera round / zoom in and out. And just being able to flip the screen up or down to take photos from weird angles is so handy. I can't think of anything I'd like to change about it. Oh, and it's tiny, which for me is essential while I'm backpacking.

Metalslug fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 4, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I thought I'd swing by the Democratic National Convention and snap some shots. I think there were more cops than civilians there.

Charlotte Democratic National Convention by iantuten, on Flickr

Charlotte Democratic National Convention by iantuten, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Metalslug posted:

Is this just the b&w or the colour work as well?

I completely agree with you on the first photo. I did that using a bit of HDR software because I'd just discovered HDR and I was super excited. :rolleyes:

Just the B&W ones. I thought it was the clarity slider but I guess it was the HDR effect that was bothering me. I could swear I see the same thing happening in the crutch photo, but maybe it's just the high ISO playing tricks on me. Anyway, you should be happy with the shot. I would have processed it differently myself, that's all.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

mongeese posted:

Here's a dirt road moment:

IMG_3562-3 by herd of mongeese, on Flickr

I like this subject matter, but it could use a re-processing i think. there's no pure whites, which makes the whole picture look kind of "grey" and bland. i know QPZIL is using a Hassy and film but his images are a very good example of what good black and white looks like, value wise.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finally finished my color film from the DNC in Charlotte on Monday.

Refueling by iantuten, on Flickr

Tweeting by iantuten, on Flickr

Surveying by iantuten, on Flickr
(SO MAD I missed the focus on this one)

Crowding by iantuten, on Flickr

Reporting (left) by iantuten, on Flickr

Preparing by iantuten, on Flickr

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

Just photographing folks on the street in BK.

92060021 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

92060020 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

92060019 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

QPZIL posted:

Finally finished my color film from the DNC in Charlotte on Monday.

dat zeiss glass :swoon:

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

whereismyshoe posted:

I like this subject matter, but it could use a re-processing i think. there's no pure whites, which makes the whole picture look kind of "grey" and bland. i know QPZIL is using a Hassy and film but his images are a very good example of what good black and white looks like, value wise.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm pretty new to photography and wasn't sure what to do for a a b&w photo, I'll re-process to see if I can make it less 'grey.' Really appreciate the comments!

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
A frame from a timelapse I'm doing.

Bus stop. by Clwn, on Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Technically this picture is rather flawed, but I'm rather proud to have caught the "moment". :D

Mischievous di maxmars70, su Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

maxmars posted:

Technically this picture is rather flawed, but I'm rather proud to have caught the "moment". :D

Pshhhh flawed how?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

LargeHadron posted:

Pshhhh flawed how?

Eh, the hand is blurred and partially covered by clothes belonging to someone else.
Still.. It's the kind of shots I could never do shooting full auto. Love them. :)

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
My latest pic, casual finding while walking downtown:

Phone call di maxmars70, su Flickr

I've been told that it has that "nice vintage" look to it. Which is rather appropriate, since it's been shot with a camera from the fifties and a comparable b/w film. :downswords:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

maxmars posted:

I like it! And it doesn't need all the vignetting. Love the moment.

I found some people frolicking :sun:

Sole Train by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Edit: Oh, and this cool guy

Make Out - Not War by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Wyeth fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 16, 2012