Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Baruch, do you feel like talking a bit more about the differences between Scalia's and Thomas's approaches to the law? All I know as a laywoman is that they tend to vote in synch, especially in dissents.

Scalia has an "originalist" take that is virtually always discovering that the founders would have hated what he hates. Thomas simply wants to overturn basically every decision rendered after 1930. In most cases those reach the same results, though sometimes for different reasons ("gay agenda!!!" vs. "dumb law but states can do whatever").

Every so often Thomas will bite the bullet, like on the medical pot case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

MoFauxHawk posted:

I don't think you would react well to the long nights in some seasons, isolation, loneliness, and no selling of alcohol in Barrow. I wouldn't.

One of the two current DAs in Barrow grew up in Manhattan, went to school in Manhattan, and met his wife in Manhattan. He's doing just fine, so it couldn't be all that horrific. Plus there was that one really terrible vampire movie set in Barrow, which is a bonus.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yes, Baruch, enlighten us pfffhahaha

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

BigHead posted:

One of the two current DAs in Barrow grew up in Manhattan, went to school in Manhattan, and met his wife in Manhattan. He's doing just fine, so it couldn't be all that horrific. Plus there was that one really terrible vampire movie set in Barrow, which is a bonus.

Does he have his wife up there in Barrow though? That probably helps a lot. But a single person who is at all prone to depression and existential misery could have a terrible time there.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

evilweasel posted:

Scalia has an "originalist" take that is virtually always discovering that the founders would have hated what he hates. Thomas simply wants to overturn basically every decision rendered after 1930. In most cases those reach the same results, though sometimes for different reasons ("gay agenda!!!" vs. "dumb law but states can do whatever").

Every so often Thomas will bite the bullet, like on the medical pot case.

Thomas's office just has a copy of the Constitution, a dictionary from 1789, and printed out copies of his previous dissents.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

J Miracle posted:

Thomas's office just has a copy of the Constitution, a dictionary from 1789, and printed out copies of his previous dissents.

Best clerkship ever, man.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

MoFauxHawk posted:

Does he have his wife up there in Barrow though? That probably helps a lot. But a single person who is at all prone to depression and existential misery could have a terrible time there.

I wish to read this book.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

MoFauxHawk posted:

I don't think you would react well to the long nights in some seasons, isolation, loneliness, and no selling of alcohol in Barrow. I wouldn't.

I thought alcohol was basically required to survive once you get that far north. What's up with that?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Dogen posted:

I thought alcohol was basically required to survive once you get that far north. What's up with that?
Literally hell on earth.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Two minutes to draft commencement.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Good draft everyone.

The Bonerhitler Johnsons are gonna dominate.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

My draft was kind of a disaster now that I look at it but I'm still gonna have a real good time and win some ballgames!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

MoFauxHawk posted:

People are gonna get owned when one or two or five people stop caring about their team like every year before and ruin the league.

Oh, look, sour grapes.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HiddenReplaced posted:

Oh, look, sour grapes.

No, that's what actually happens pretty much every year in the lawgoon league. If you actually didn't want to do something, it's not sour grapes. Fantasy leagues are better when people put money into them because people don't stop caring, so that's what I'm doing now.

Edit: It's like the people in this thread who avoided going to law school. The avoiding the thing is the grapes.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 3, 2012

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
My team owns and my ego will not allow me to do poorly so...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yes, Baruch, enlighten us pfffhahaha

Thomas delegates making a joke out of his office to his wife, unlike Scalia, who does it himself.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Haha, nevermind. I will not engage.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HiddenReplaced posted:

Haha, nevermind. I will not engage.

Kay cool.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I completely forgot about our fantasy football league because of Guild Wars 2

Tau you are a monster

edit: Tom Brady is my QB. Now I have to root for the Pats. My life is literally ruined

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Thomas delegates making a joke out of his office to his wife, unlike Scalia, who does it himself.

:golfclap:

Very good.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

Tau you are a monster

edit: Tom Brady is my QB. Now I have to root for the Pats. My life is literally ruined

Why didn't you tell your secretary to remind you? What kind of lawyer are you?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Regular exposure to the legal questions ask/tell megathread has consistently convinced me that I have zero interest in practicing landlord-tenant law, ever. It seems to me that 70% of the questions in that thread are landlord-tenant, and I find this incredibly dull.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

Tau you are a monster

At least you are not the team with not one but two over the hill receivers who are not on actually on a team and also no kicker.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

evilweasel posted:

At least you are not the team with not one but two over the hill receivers who are not on actually on a team and also no kicker.

I must have gotten your kicker. :smug:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

I must have gotten your kicker. :smug:

That ain't me my team owns.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

tau posted:

Why didn't you tell your secretary to remind you? What kind of lawyer are you?

a bad one :negative:

evilweasel posted:

The yahoo draft thingie actually ranks my autodrafted team as the fourth best in the league lmbo

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

entris posted:

Regular exposure to the legal questions ask/tell megathread has consistently convinced me that I have zero interest in practicing landlord-tenant law, ever. It seems to me that 70% of the questions in that thread are landlord-tenant, and I find this incredibly dull.

Hehe, well in VA at least it's easy. You can just preprint letterhead with:

Dear Client,

Yer hosed. Please remit payment to the billing address below.

Sincerely,
Entris Esq.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Yahoo's autodraft is pretty bad. In one of my leagues this semester, a guy left the draft halfway through and wound up with two kickers, one of whom isn't on a team.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

entris posted:

It can be fun, I do the odd case from time to time. Had one where I was acting for the shadiest landlord you could imagine - he had rented a house to an all female Irish theatre troupe who were staying there for 3 months while they did a performance of a play in London.

They arrived to find the house was undergoing huge repairs which weren't even finished (ie huge bits of wall and roof missing, that sort of stuff). The landlord allegedly offered to pay their hotel bills for a few weeks which ran up to thousands - later denied he had ever offered this and denied the house was in anything other than perfect condition.

After a few weeks they move in - house is still in pretty awful condition and there are builders and labourers trudging through the house nearly 24/7 doing work on things. Various things get smashed e.g. a mantlepiece, various windows etc, apparently by the builders.

Anyway, the theatre troupe subsequently sue and demand all their rent back and the hotel fees. The landlord responds by countersuing for 3 times what they claimed, saying that all the damage to the house was caused by them, and providing some pretty sketchy receipts as proof of loss (e.g. an old piece of paper saying, "New kitchen tiles - £7000 - Dave").

It was obvious from all the evidence that the landlord had no chance but he refused to settle or drop his counterclaim. Anyway, in one of the claimant witness statements they mentioned a number of homophobic remarks that the landlord had made, commenting on how they all "seemed like lesbians to me" or something like that. It went to court for trial and in cross examination I kept suggesting that the house was fine but they took a dislike to the landlord because of his comments and so smashed the house up for revenge. It was a really spurious narrative that wasn't really substantiated by anything except an off-the-cuff remark in one witness statement but during the lunchtime break they caved in and settled and the landlord only had to pay their costs.

Despite this unbelievably good result, it still took me nearly an hour to persuade the landlord to accept that he had been loving lucky and drop his counterclaim. He very begrudgingly agreed and it was all over. Stuff like that can be fun.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005
That and kicking out squatters: get a job you loving scroungers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

woozle wuzzle posted:

Hehe, well in VA at least it's easy. You can just preprint letterhead with:

Dear Client,

Yer hosed. Please remit payment to the billing address below.

Sincerely,
Entris Esq.

I did DCLSIC when I was at Georgetown, and man, representing indigent tenants is the weirdest poo poo ever in a city with strong tenants rights. Like yeah, they haven't paid in like a year but it still is going to take three months to get them out, so why don't you offer to pay their moving costs?

F E Smith
Aug 15, 2006
And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground.

dos4gw posted:

It can be fun, I do the odd case from time to time. Had one where I was acting for the shadiest landlord you could imagine - he had rented a house to an all female Irish theatre troupe who were staying there for 3 months while they did a performance of a play in London.

They arrived to find the house was undergoing huge repairs which weren't even finished (ie huge bits of wall and roof missing, that sort of stuff). The landlord allegedly offered to pay their hotel bills for a few weeks which ran up to thousands - later denied he had ever offered this and denied the house was in anything other than perfect condition.

After a few weeks they move in - house is still in pretty awful condition and there are builders and labourers trudging through the house nearly 24/7 doing work on things. Various things get smashed e.g. a mantlepiece, various windows etc, apparently by the builders.

Anyway, the theatre troupe subsequently sue and demand all their rent back and the hotel fees. The landlord responds by countersuing for 3 times what they claimed, saying that all the damage to the house was caused by them, and providing some pretty sketchy receipts as proof of loss (e.g. an old piece of paper saying, "New kitchen tiles - £7000 - Dave").

It was obvious from all the evidence that the landlord had no chance but he refused to settle or drop his counterclaim. Anyway, in one of the claimant witness statements they mentioned a number of homophobic remarks that the landlord had made, commenting on how they all "seemed like lesbians to me" or something like that. It went to court for trial and in cross examination I kept suggesting that the house was fine but they took a dislike to the landlord because of his comments and so smashed the house up for revenge. It was a really spurious narrative that wasn't really substantiated by anything except an off-the-cuff remark in one witness statement but during the lunchtime break they caved in and settled and the landlord only had to pay their costs.

Despite this unbelievably good result, it still took me nearly an hour to persuade the landlord to accept that he had been loving lucky and drop his counterclaim. He very begrudgingly agreed and it was all over. Stuff like that can be fun.

Sounds awfully sketchy. Quite glad I don't have a L&T practice!

dos, for some reason I had it in mind that you were only starting pupillage this October. Not too many of us at the Bar here! Are you in practice in London?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dos4gw posted:

Ha, that is a great story, and it further reinforced my convinction not to get into L&T.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
Smith, nice Lord Denning quote.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

F E Smith posted:

Sounds awfully sketchy. Quite glad I don't have a L&T practice!

dos, for some reason I had it in mind that you were only starting pupillage this October. Not too many of us at the Bar here! Are you in practice in London?

Nah I'm in the midlands. My girlfriend lives and works in London though so I have thought about trying to move further south at some point, especially because I'm from the south east originally, but I'm also quite happy here with cheap property prices and an easy commute into work. Also I don't know if I'd struggle to move to another chambers because of the 'provincial' stigma.

Are you based in London? What sort of practice do you have?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Oh no....

I'm representing a client who has a potentially bogus mortgage. There's meat on the bone. But the client has also bought into a scam artist who's part of the "freedom, admiralty, dont pay taxes, you have no jurisdiction" bullcrap mentioned previously in this thread. It hasn't infected the case and she hasn't pushed it with me, and our only arguments are legit issues.

This afternoon the mortgage company's attorney just produced discovery of all the crazy bullcrap they received from my client prior to my involvement... It's bad... It's pages upon pages of fake notices with all these weird slogans, like "Silence is Acquiescence, Agreement and Dishonor". She didn't write any of this, it's part of some kooky person package from the scam artist with titles like:

NOTICE OF INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL CLAIM WITHIN THE ADMIRALTY
ab initio
ADMINISTRATIVE REMEDY CERTIFICATE

It defines and refers to the mortgage company as "Libellee", and to my client as "Libellant". When discussing the various attempts at certified mail, it says: "Libellee is additionally subject to the postal statutes and the jurisdiction of the Universal Postal Union".

Oh dear this client will be cross-examined...

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Wow, these sovereign citizen types are selling their services now?

I'd :allears: if that scammer didn't possibly seriously screw over your client. :(

E: I was trying to find that article on that crazy libertarian guy who was charging "clients" for "advice," which basically amounted to grandstanding about sovereign personhood in front of a judge, but I have reading to do.

Point can be made without it though: these people are nuts.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 4, 2012

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, I should probably fix that. Its what I get for not paying any attention to the preseason until the draft.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
hahahaha get paid up front, woozle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
It sucks, because this client was very vulnerable. The scammers prey on those who are facing foreclosure and are desperate for answers. There's an informal network of scammers who sell "mortgage audits" and teach people how to invalidate their mortgage for a few thousand bucks. The scammer is long gone but the damage is done. The client bought in (they flatly reject discussing that they burned their last few grand on a scam), and they're very psychologically vulnerable.

The underlying sovereign citizen logic is nuts, but using it to prey on desperate people is pretty calculating evil.

entris posted:

hahahaha get paid up front, woozle.
Oh I got paid :) I gotta be paid in full for me to glance up.