Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Holy poo poo you guys. Dinosaurs is on Netflix. The Jim Henson Dinosaur sitcom. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

echronorian posted:

Holy poo poo you guys. Dinosaurs is on Netflix. The Jim Henson Dinosaur sitcom. Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

echronorian posted:

It had such a great plot twist ending to the series.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

mr. why posted:

Instant Watcher does this with Rotten Tomatoes:

http://instantwatcher.com/genres/505

That helps, thanks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh good, I can flash back to my school days where every rear end in a top hat sat in class yelling "I'M THE BABY GOTTA LOVE ME!"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The 80s kids scifi flick Explorers was just added yesterday: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/182038

I haven't seen this since I was like 5 years old, but I remember loving it as a kid!

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007
Thanks to everyone who mentioned Lake Mungo. Saw it last night and loved it!
Well made and very unsettling.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Oh my god The Thing is back, life is so good right now.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rhyno posted:

Oh good, I can flash back to my school days where every rear end in a top hat sat in class yelling "I'M THE BABY GOTTA LOVE ME!"

The baby was voiced by Kevin Clash, who also is the voice of Elmo.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

AFewBricksShy posted:

The baby was voiced by Kevin Clash, who also is the voice of Elmo.

I forgot about this until watching Being Elmo the other night, and a little Baby Sinclair doll is in the background in his parents' house during their interviews.

Also, holy poo poo Dinosaurs is on Netflix. I don't think I quite grasped the impact that show had on my formative years, and how weird of a thing it was, until the last few years. And I only just realized (that is, the voices sounded familiar and the names escaped me until I saw the credits) that Sally Struthers and Sherman Helmsley voice Charlene and Mr. Richfield, respectively, explicitly driving home the similarities to All in the Family and the subversive sitcom legacy.

lydgate
Jan 17, 2004

the Magnum, you know, that's only if you want to splatter it against the wall

mr. why posted:

Instant Watcher does this with Rotten Tomatoes:

http://instantwatcher.com/genres/505

This is really useful, thanks.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

echronorian posted:

Holy poo poo is right. Now I have something awesome to watch.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

screenwritersblues posted:

Holy poo poo is right. Now I have something awesome to watch.

Remember the ending of that show, where Earl convinced his boss at WESAYSO to give him a promotion and a raise, and Earl was able to pull his family up a couple of rungs on the social ladder, which validated all the hard work he put into his somewhat miserable job?

No you don't remember that ending because everybody loving died at the end of the series.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
A Horrible Way to Die is not worth watching. The camerawork is among the most obnoxious I have ever seen. I can get behind leaving most of the violence off screen, but this is just unforgivable. The camera is constantly wavering, wandering into space, randomly zooming and going out of focus.

Plot kind of sucks too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Outside of TED talks and Nova and Cosmos, what are some of the better science/technology/history shows on Netflix? There's just so much garbage on there it frustrates me trying to find new ones.

e: I specifically don't like ones that just oversensationalize things or try to seem "exciting" rather than just be interesting or capture the imagination and inform.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 5, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

feedmyleg posted:

Outside of TED talks and Nova and Cosmos, what are some of the better science/technology/history shows on Netflix? There's just so much garbage on there it frustrates me trying to find new ones.

You might like these:
The Universe: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/166049
Guns, Germs, and Steel: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/173904
National Geographic documentaries in general are pretty good (they're a little more hit and miss than NOVA, but on the whole good): http://instantwatcher.com/titles?q=national+geographic&search_episodes=0

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All of Everybody Loves Raymond has been added, too. Didn't see this mentioned before so apologies if I'm just illiterate.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

feedmyleg posted:

e: I specifically don't like ones that just oversensationalize things or try to seem "exciting" rather than just be interesting or capture the imagination and inform.

To be honest, I learn a lot from one of the 3 or 4 segments on How it's Made most of the time. It's not maybe exactly what you're looking for, but it's good stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How It's Made gets downright hypnotic at times, like a poor man's Koyaanisqaatsi.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've recently discovered TEDTalks but am a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of episodes (even if they are all fairly short). I've seen a few great ones and a few not-so-great ones so I thought I ask the thread what to watch. I'm not really interested in some of the 'general philosophy' that some of the speakers start going on about, more interested in actual facts. The first episode of Space Trek (Carolyn Porco Flies Us to Saturn) was pretty fantastic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Heads up: The excellent No Wave documentary "Blank City" is on Streaming.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How It's Made gets downright hypnotic at times, like a poor man's Koyaanisqaatsi.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Thanks to whoever recommended The Hunter with Willem Dafoe earlier in the thread.

It may not be perfect, but I thought it was fantastic. Dafoe is such an awesome actor, and the cinematography is amazing at times.

And I was not expecting the ending to get me that choked up. The part where he pours the ashes of the Tiger out on the cliff with Jarrah's bottle is beautiful. :smith:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Awesome Welles posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended The Hunter with Willem Dafoe earlier in the thread.

It may not be perfect, but I thought it was fantastic. Dafoe is such an awesome actor, and the cinematography is amazing at times.

And I was not expecting the ending to get me that choked up. The part where he pours the ashes of the Tiger out on the cliff with Jarrah's bottle is beautiful. :smith:

And the on location shooting in Tasmania had some really amazing shots.

I sort of liked how the movie avoided the classic bar brawl were the hero decimates the local redneck population.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Why don't more gifs of How It's Made exist? It's such an amazing show, between the chill electronic soundtrack and the footage of poo poo getting made, it's engaging in its own wonderful way. HUNDU's absolutely right, it's like Koyaanisqatsi in 20-minute chunks.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Douchy article but Netflix is still bleeding money and the margins on streaming are super thin.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/847041-netflix-game-over

douchy short seller posted:

The company has nearly $5 billion in total streaming content obligations coming due over the next 5 years. Worse, at least $2 billion of these obligations are due in the next twelve months, and given Netflix's cash balance ($402 million as of June 30) and its expected earnings it isn't at all clear how it is going to pay.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hate to be Captain Obvious here, but what kind of investor thinks cash balance is the only metric of revenue?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
No doubt. The only thing to really take away from it is the massive amount they have to pay out to content providers and the fact that the DVD division is still the most profitable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah. Not that I don't doubt that their margin on Streaming is slim.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hate to be Captain Obvious here, but what kind of investor thinks cash balance is the only metric of revenue?

Sorry for being thick-headed, but can you explain what else is keeping the company afloat? Ads?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

"We don't need no... education..."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cash on hand is just cash reserves. Revenue, I would imagine in Netflix's case, would come almost entirely from subscriptions. Obviously that revenue is used to pay obligations. What that author is talking about is the health of Netflix, mainly, debts vs. savings. The issue is that Netflix is just "profitable" instead of "highly profitable", which is alarming to a stockholder, but it's not like they're going out of business. What's honestly more threatening is whenever Reed Hastings makes a boneheaded statement in public.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Sorry for being thick-headed, but can you explain what else is keeping the company afloat? Ads?
A company can make a lot of money but not have much cash on hand, perhaps because it spends the money it makes on things like employee salaries.

edit: well gently caress me I'm too slow

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's probably a more succinct explanation anyhow.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Let's say you have a bank account with a balance of $5 and you have a bill coming up that's $15. The article is saying, "How will you pay the bill since you only have $5"? What's not being mentioned is that you also get a paycheck/other transactions going on. What if you make more deals with the company that's sending you the bill, which changes what you need to pay?

There's more to things than just what's in your bank account and having a $5 balance doesn't mean you can't pay $15 when the time comes.

edit: Beaten, like Blockbuster

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Has there ever been another example in history where a new something comes along that's so obviously better it almost immediately muscles out the competition, but that happens before it's clear whether the new thing is sustainable or not?

Digital distribution is cramping out physical and broadcast media more and more and yet it's not clear *at all* whether anyone will be able to make money on it in the long run.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Has there ever been another example in history where a new something comes along that's so obviously better it almost immediately muscles out the competition, but that happens before it's clear whether the new thing is sustainable or not?

Digital distribution is cramping out physical and broadcast media more and more and yet it's not clear *at all* whether anyone will be able to make money on it in the long run.

I think the idea is that you just charge more for streaming if it's not profitable enough. Then you either have people turning to the profitable physical side or paying higher prices. Most cable bills these days are what, 100 bucks or more? No wonder people want to stream nearly everything they have the time to watch (whether or not these are things they'd watch otherwise is an interesting debate) with no commercials for 8 dollars, ya know?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I think this is a special case that a lot of the content producers for the films and shows on Netflix are also heavily invested and sometimes directly own those physical and broadcast media departments, so they are going to be very resistant to the change when their dying empires still make much more money for them in the short term.

I also think it was partially Netflix also not being confident in the future and so a lot of the deals are not in their favour. Apple had the chutzpah to believe that their way was going to be the next huge thing so they basically told the music publishers to go gently caress themselves if they didn't like the margins and pricing on itunes right from the start.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Are there any quick fixes for this?

I'm on a 64 bit copy of the Windows 8 Release Preview build 8400, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Have you tried calling them?

• Locked thread