Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Any thoughts on the 2012 Chevrolet Spark?

**Moved this to right correct thread in A/T

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Sudo Echo posted:

Yeah, they remind me of 80s Subarus. Just a tiny tin box on 14" wheels but with full locking 4WD. Unstoppable, cheap, never want to be in an accident in one, but very endearing to watch clamber over ridiculous obstacles.
Unstoppable, you say? My uncle had one around that time, and from his experience, all he needed to stop it was top gear and a hill. :v: He loved the everloving poo poo out of it, and he hasn't forgiven Subaru for going with AWD without a locking diff.

edit: Speaking of Subarus, that jacked-up Impreza's definitely got my attention.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 3, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Friar Zucchini posted:

he hasn't forgiven Subaru for going with AWD without a locking diff.

Tell him to buy an STI then since you can still lock the diff in them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
So, apparently Chevy is going to bring over another Zeta platform, this time as the Chevy SS. Sort of like the limited run Impala SS from the 90s, I guess.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1078531_2014-chevrolet-ss-spy-shots

First I've heard of it, but then again it's a bit early to blow the hype wad.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
A new 991 GT3 has been spotted; looks and sounds fantastic, and apparently has a PDK transmission. Rumor has it that the engine has been pushed forward and is close to being, technically, mid-engine.

http://www.porscheboost.com/content.php?2710-Latest-2013-991-GT3-spy-video-confirms-PDK-dual-clutch-transmission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lths5glvPQo

grover fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 3, 2012

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Cream_Filling posted:

So, apparently Chevy is going to bring over another Zeta platform, this time as the Chevy SS. Sort of like the limited run Impala SS from the 90s, I guess.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1078531_2014-chevrolet-ss-spy-shots

First I've heard of it, but then again it's a bit early to blow the hype wad.

Ok so if this had a slick interior and comes with 6 speed stick, this is pretty much my next car.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Franco Caution posted:

Ok so if this had a slick interior and comes with 6 speed stick, this is pretty much my next car.

It's a Chevy -- if you get both of those things, you might as well just buy a Ferrari with your lottery winnings instead.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
In that Chevy SS article:

MotorAuthority posted:

Note, a racing version of the car will also compete in next year’s NASCAR Sprint Cup season as the replacement for the Impala.
Ah, for the days where this may have been actually true and not just meaningless hyperbole.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

grover posted:

A new 991 GT3 has been spotted; looks and sounds fantastic, and apparently has a PDK transmission. Rumor has it that the engine has been pushed forward and is close to being, technically, mid-engine.

How do they move the motor relative to the transmission? Redesign the bellhousing?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

This is what they should have done with the G8, instead of lumping it in with the worthless G6 and G3.

PT6A posted:

It's a Chevy -- if you get both of those things, you might as well just buy a Ferrari with your lottery winnings instead.

It's a Holden, the interiors are ok (not german but not terrible) and they came with a stick the last time around in GXP form.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kimbo305 posted:

How do they move the motor relative to the transmission? Redesign the bellhousing?
For a test mule, I really doubt they'd go that far. The only reasonable way they'd be able to get the engine forward of the rear axle would be to flip it ala Cayman, and it sure doesn't look like that. I'm chocking this up to unsubstantiated internet rumors, but it's not outside of the laws of physics or anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

grover posted:

For a test mule, I really doubt they'd go that far. The only reasonable way they'd be able to get the engine forward of the rear axle would be to flip it ala Cayman, and it sure doesn't look like that. I'm chocking this up to unsubstantiated internet rumors, but it's not outside of the laws of physics or anything.

They already shortened the overhang for the 991 in general. I'd be surprised they'd do another round of it just for the GT3.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Does anyone know anything about a possible electric Fiat 500? I think I saw one this morning on I-15 in Las Vegas. It had manufacturer plates, vinyl covers over the bumpers, an "EV" sticker on the rear glass, and when it accelerated away from me at the next exit, I heard the distinct whine of an electric motor. Not so good cell phone picture:

If it is, I think they're a little late to be hot weather testing in Las Vegas. Highs are back below 100 these days.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

grover posted:

http://www.porscheboost.com/content.php?2710-Latest-2013-991-GT3-spy-video-confirms-PDK-dual-clutch-transmission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lths5glvPQo

New Ruf model?

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

PT6A posted:

The car has been in testing for a while and I'm pretty sure the mules have been spotted with a 6-speed manual already.

The interior shouldn't be too bad either. It should at least be as good as your average Ford. Holden is distinctly less lovely in that regard than Chevrolet.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Isn't the SS supposed to be a slightly updated G8? or is that just their foundation?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

travisray2004 posted:

Isn't the SS supposed to be a slightly updated G8? or is that just their foundation?

Both are Americanized variants on the Holden Commodore.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I had planned on getting a G8 GXP but they were impossible to find as Pontiac was going down in flames.
If the SS is basically a updated G8 GXP, that works out just perfect.

What Im trying to get close to having is a 4 door vette that isnt as expensive as the CTS-V. Id look at the ZL1, but the backseat is all but worthless in that.

I had hopes for the ATS-V but if Im reading the info right from magazines, that is almost 50 thousand dollars for just the performance version of the ATS that is available now.
I cant even imagine what the -V version is going to be like price wise.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
The car dealership here has what I assume is a used GXP, but they want ~37k for it, which I believe is sticker or above...crazy.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

travisray2004 posted:

New Ruf model?
Ruf's developing an NA V8 991, actually.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

grover posted:

Ruf's developing an NA V8 991, actually.

:fap:

Maybe it's the Porsche dickrider in me but Rufs are some of the best looking cars ever made in my eyes.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

MrEnigma posted:

The car dealership here has what I assume is a used GXP, but they want ~37k for it, which I believe is sticker or above...crazy.

Are they loving crazy? Have GXPs even appreciated at all yet? G8s are nice and all but I don't really see them as being the modern Impala SS for some reason.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

G8s are nice and all but I don't really see them as being the modern Impala SS for some reason.

And what would that car have to be?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

travisray2004 posted:

Are they loving crazy? Have GXPs even appreciated at all yet? G8s are nice and all but I don't really see them as being the modern Impala SS for some reason.

Yeah, the Zeta stuff at Holden (and the Ford Falcon, too) are basically direct evolutionary holdovers from an era where the giant American RWD sedan never went extinct.

In other markets, it's actually sold as the Chevy Lumina/Chevy Caprice.

Black it out and it's a modern 90s Impala SS.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Left Ventricle posted:

Does anyone know anything about a possible electric Fiat 500? I think I saw one this morning on I-15 in Las Vegas. It had manufacturer plates, vinyl covers over the bumpers, an "EV" sticker on the rear glass, and when it accelerated away from me at the next exit, I heard the distinct whine of an electric motor.
They've been working on it for a while. It was supposed to be out already but has been delayed.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

hedge posted:

They've been working on it for a while. It was supposed to be out already but has been delayed.

Marchionne has said that they are only doing it because BIG GOVERNMENT is forcing them to.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/05/30/marchionne-were-only-making-fiat-500-ev-because-californias-f/

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

travisray2004 posted:

So this got me curious, so I went and found the ad for it. Turns out I mis saw the sign, only 32k!

Also apparently it's a firehawk version, didn't know they did that to the g8's. And they list it as a GT, even though I'm pretty sure it has the GXP badges on it.

The firewhawk package apparently comes with a supercharger (500hp), performance exhaust, cold air induction, custom tune, performance suspension and competition brake package. Plus some fancy seat embroidery.

http://auto.brenengen.com/search_carview.cfm?STOCK=L598&scope=bren&newcar=0

Edit: I forgot the worst part, it's an auto :( Also better link.

Edit 2: Apparently this lists in the low 50's...yowch.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 4, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Were there any manual G8s released in the states?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Rhyno posted:

Were there any manual G8s released in the states?

Not sure if it was an option for all the model years, but I'm pretty confident both the GT/GXP had the option.

Edit: Further research shows only the GXP came with it as an option.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrEnigma posted:

Not sure if it was an option for all the model years, but I'm pretty confident both the GT/GXP had the option.

I had no idea. It would have made the list when I was car shopping last year if there'd been any around.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Rhyno posted:

I had no idea. It would have made the list when I was car shopping last year if there'd been any around.

I was pretty sad when I found out the GTs were auto only. I found 1 black GXP for under MSRP but it was gone before I could even think about trying to pick it up. All the ones i find now are owners that want close to or over original msrp which is insane. Its a neat car and all but thats crazy to think they are worth anywhere near that price.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

an oddly awful oud posted:

The interior shouldn't be too bad either. It should at least be as good as your average Ford. Holden is distinctly less lovely in that regard than Chevrolet.

The Commodore definitely isn't any better than a Cruze in that regard so I wouldn't expect much.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

travisray2004 posted:

:fap:

Maybe it's the Porsche dickrider in me but Rufs are some of the best looking cars ever made in my eyes.
On top of that, Ruf says the 550hp 4.5L V8 they're developing will be lighter and have a lower center of gravity than the stock flat 6, which is amazing. There's talk of a 900hp turbocharged version as well, but I don't think any of that talk is coming from Ruf, just speculation. This isn't the final incarnation, as they're still sorting it out, but it's a pretty good preview:

Some good videos of a walk-around the Geneva showcar on Ruf's website:
http://www.ruf-automobile.de/en/en-aktuelles-news.php

grover fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 4, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There are fewer than 1,000 GXPs with a manual transmission in the US of A.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's going on with Genesis Coupes? I didn't realize until recently what a huge power bump the 2013s got, but no dealer my gigantic city has one on the lot that I can come look at the interior, let alone one with a stick for me to test drive. Are they selling like crazy or just barely build any at all?

I'd also appreciate opinions from anyone who owns one or seriously considered one. I'm tempted by the cheap power in something that should have a passable chassis and brakes, especially with the R-spec package.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

First official images of the Golf MKVII have been released. Should hit the US in Fall of 2013 as a 2014 model. It will also be up to 220 lbs lighter since it's sitting on the new MQB platform.

Here is a video containing some technical details:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15gnYmA-FGI

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

kimbo305 posted:

And what would that car have to be?

Nothing specific in particular, but for some reason I don't see it having the same cult following as the SS. It reminds me of the GTO where I know people who own and like them but they don't really have any strong sense of attachment to it.

MrEnigma posted:

So this got me curious, so I went and found the ad for it. Turns out I mis saw the sign, only 32k!

Also apparently it's a firehawk version, didn't know they did that to the g8's. And they list it as a GT, even though I'm pretty sure it has the GXP badges on it.

The firewhawk package apparently comes with a supercharger (500hp), performance exhaust, cold air induction, custom tune, performance suspension and competition brake package. Plus some fancy seat embroidery.

http://auto.brenengen.com/search_carview.cfm?STOCK=L598&scope=bren&newcar=0

Edit: I forgot the worst part, it's an auto :( Also better link.

Edit 2: Apparently this lists in the low 50's...yowch.

drat, that is insane. Apart from the two tone hood and the automatic, that car is sick. Although you could purchase a GT and do all of those mods for less than that; wouldn't be as unique though, I suppose.

grover posted:

On top of that, Ruf says the 550hp 4.5L V8 they're developing will be lighter and have a lower center of gravity than the stock flat 6, which is amazing. There's talk of a 900hp turbocharged version as well, but I don't think any of that talk is coming from Ruf, just speculation. This isn't the final incarnation, as they're still sorting it out, but it's a pretty good preview:

Some good videos of a walk-around the Geneva showcar on Ruf's website:
http://www.ruf-automobile.de/en/en-aktuelles-news.php

Goddamn that's a gorgeous car but if I had the crazy amount of cash that it'd taken to buy one I'd go for the CTR3. I love those lines.
Droool.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Houston Rockets posted:

First official images of the Golf MKVII have been released. Should hit the US in Fall of 2013 as a 2014 model. It will also be up to 220 lbs lighter since it's sitting on the new MQB platform.

Is the Mk7 confirmed for the US as a 2014 model?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Houston Rockets posted:

Hey, it looks less fat, too!

I'm just happy that VW is sticking to their guns of clean german design. I know in part it's the lighting, but those photos really show a clean, taut, finished look without a bunch of dumb styling gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Glad those new Golf pictures didn't make me regret my recent purchase of a 2013 TDI. Hopefully they can keep the quality up and not take it the same route of the mk6 Jetta.