Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
If you have a lego store pick a brick is great. I like the creator sets as well for getting a good variety of bricks.

More and more people know what there lego is worth and it is hard to find good finds. You do get lucky once in a while though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

madpanda posted:

Aside from random craigslist finds, what is a good way to get a bunch of generic bricks to start with? A lot of the current sets at target/tru seem pretty specialized. I do have a lego store 20 minutes away but haven't had a chance to go yet.

Lego stores have pick-a-brick walls where you can buy buckets of bulk bricks. Your basic bricks and plates are ridiculously cheap on Bricklink, so you could just order from there. If you dont want to have to choose your bricks, Creator sets are usually good for getting a lot of non-specialized bricks.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
If you live near a Goodwill or Salvation army, they tend to always have a good amount of random Lego parts.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Rubby posted:

For anyone buying the Haunted House you can get an extra 4 zombies out of the deal by adding 4 gray minifig heads from the pick-a-brick section to your order (if you don't already have them).

The top of the columns at the front of the house are zombie heads but I'd much rather have them on minifig bodies personally.

You can also build skeletons for $1.25 a piece in the pick a brick section.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Rubby posted:

For anyone buying the Haunted House you can get an extra 4 zombies out of the deal by adding 4 gray minifig heads from the pick-a-brick section to your order (if you don't already have them).

The top of the columns at the front of the house are zombie heads but I'd much rather have them on minifig bodies personally.

Is there any where to buy the mini figure hands in gray? I checked the pick a brick section and no luck while a Google search did not come up with much of anything for mini fig hands.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Rythe posted:

Is there any where to buy the mini figure hands in gray? I checked the pick a brick section and no luck while a Google search did not come up with much of anything for mini fig hands.

Bricklink looks and feels like it was made in the 90s, but she has everything you need.
https://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?colorID=9&itemID=1761

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

Bricklink looks and feels like it was made in the 90s, but she has everything you need.
https://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?colorID=9&itemID=1761

Thanks for the quick response and I am slightly dumb for not even looking at brick link, that is the Google for all things Lego. Dam lack of sleep from the newborn I think, thanks again.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Rythe posted:

Thanks for the quick response and I am slightly dumb for not even looking at brick link, that is the Google for all things Lego. Dam lack of sleep from the newborn I think, thanks again.

I almost didn't... don't want to increase demand for those rare light grey hands that I'll be needing plenty of myself :v:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

I almost didn't... don't want to increase demand for those rare light grey hands that I'll be needing plenty of myself :v:

Well I just cleared a buyer out of a dozen hands, I have a ton of Aztec/Indian mini figures that are going to be turned into zombie Indians since somebody built the haunted House over an ancient tribal burial ground. :)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Rythe posted:

Well I just cleared a buyer out of a dozen hands, I have a ton of Aztec/Indian mini figures that are going to be turned into zombie Indians since somebody built the haunted House over an ancient tribal burial ground. :)

Nice, I'm doing my zombie house as a Western.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Rythe posted:

One of the minifig torso's has gray hands on Leo's site.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Guess I should get started on this. That's the Haunted House, the Zombie Car, and the Haunted Clock.

The Radioactive Waste cleanup guy is supervising and also there to give you a sense of scale. This might be the largest LEGO box I've purchased.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

einTier posted:

Guess I should get started on this. That's the Haunted House, the Zombie Car, and the Haunted Clock.

The Radioactive Waste cleanup guy is supervising and also there to give you a sense of scale. This might be the largest LEGO box I've purchased.

I still have to wait about 4-5 days to get mine shipped to me from the Lego website, on the plus side I'll get the House, car and the graveyard scene. That is a lot of Lego to play with, going to be a great week.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Series 8 minifigs have finally hit stores in Australia, and Toys 'R' Us has a 'Buy 4 Get 1 Free' sale on them until the 11th.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
drat. Finally finished the house. This shows 12 hours between posts, but there was a considerable break in there to rewatch the F1 race and eat dinner and a few other things. It was probably closer to six hours of build time.

It's both smaller and bigger than I expected. I've never built one of the modulars, so I'm not sure if they're the same, but they appear to be of similar size. The base is smaller than I expected, in fact, one of my friends that came by while I was working on the first floor said, "that's how big it is? It looks so much bigger on the box." By the time I put the last pieces on the top, it was far taller than I expected and fairly impressive.

So that was pretty cool.

It's very intricate, and there's lots of little detail hiding everywhere. Even my girlfriend was impressed with all the things that were included. The build was pretty fun, but I got really loving tired of building windows. There's about a dozen of them and the build has around 20 pieces so after the third or fourth one, you're kind of thinking, "again?"

I'd change a few things -- too many of the window boards go across at exactly the same angle. Not hard to change while you're building but a bitch and a half to do now. Also, the chimney work does a pretty good job of appearing random, but I think just a little work could remove the little bit of patterning that's still evident. I might end up moving the furniture around too.

The clock filled a nice little space inside that didn't have anything and gave me an extra ghost. Also nice.

Undecided about the zombie car. It seems like it would be fun to play with, but the design feels really half assed to me. Still, it gives my chef zombie another zombie to hang out and kill people with, so I'm happy for him.

einTier fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 4, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Where can I browse & download instruction books?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Where can I browse & download instruction books?

http://service.lego.com/en-gb/buildinginstructions/

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!
never been very lucky with the collectable mini fig bags because I'm pants at feeling for what I'm after but was pretty happy with one of a random 2 team GB bags that i picked, got a tenis player that i have now shipped off to a new home, but managed to get my hands of the blue boxer so my red boxer has someone to fight against

also went on a bit of a spree and brought the mine craft set and vampire hearse set today because well why not!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Series 8 showed up at my local Lego store, and three of the six I grabbed randomly were cowgirls. I didn't even want *one* cowgirl.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks, but I still can't find what I'm looking for, it's an old techniques backhoe-ladder, stuffed full of pneumatics. I must have got it 20-23 years ago, it's not 8455 or 8069, anyone got any better ideas? Young me remember it being huge, both buckets were yellow as well.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Thanks, but I still can't find what I'm looking for, it's an old techniques backhoe-ladder, stuffed full of pneumatics. I must have got it 20-23 years ago, it's not 8455 or 8069, anyone got any better ideas? Young me remember it being huge, both buckets were yellow as well.

This one?

nws
Jul 20, 2004
Part time SCUBA Instructor......
My wife bought me the Tower Bridge a few days ago. I've ignored her for 9 hours over the last two days, and it seems it may have been an expensive ploy for her to watch girly movies all weekend.

This set is amazing, but I need feedback on the Taj Mahal. It's floating between 800 and 900 dollars and I want it so bad. Has anyone built it? Is it as awesome as it looks?

Holy hell it looks amazing.

Thanks!

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Is there a technic equivalent to the creator series? A more generic, less specialized set of parts? I just want a number of basic parts, gears, etc. I know I could order individual pieces, but I was hoping that some sort of solution already existed. I didn't see anything online or in the thread (other then buying collections/lots from eBay), but it doesn't hurt to double check. Thanks!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Does anyone have experience with Laser Peg bricks? We're looking for a b-day present for my brother in law, he's got some robot Lego sets and my mother found these and thought he might like them. I think they look pretty dumb by themselves, but they might be a neat addition to actual lego.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Awesome, that's it. Thank you. Odd that the Lego site doesn't recognize it though.
E: the Lego archive goes back to 2002, that's why.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 5, 2012

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

nws posted:

This set is amazing, but I need feedback on the Taj Mahal. Thanks!

It's pretty badass once built, but the build is repetitive since it is pretty much x4 on everything. I bought it when it went on clearance and am amazed at how expensive it is now. If you are huge on architecture though, then the set is tops. If you look at it with a 14-15 cent per brick price point maybe it makes it easier to swallow.

Vital stats
5,922 pieces
20 inches wide and 16 inches tall

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

The Haunted House is pretty awesome so far, about 2/3 of the way done. I just replaced the zombie heads with rounded 1x1 pieces. Looks great and now I have 4 more zombies.

Also it looks like the Ghost polybag is available in the US after all as a Target exclusive. I'll be headed to their Halloween section soon to pick one up.

Check out Death Springs, my free webcomic updated every Thursday!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Awesome, that's it. Thank you. Odd that the Lego site doesn't recognize it though.
E: the Lego archive goes back to 2002, that's why.

I'm pretty sure the official archive has instructions for sets from before 2002, maybe they mean anything from 2002 onward is guaranteed to be on there.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
This is ridiculously childish, but can anyone get me a parts list to make this minifig-scale bong?

I can tell what the main tube is made of, and I think that's a pirate hook, and a pirate hat plume for the smoke, but that tube is too big for a minifigure to hold, and there's something on the base of it that the hook connects to. I want one for my S7 Hippie (and Merry and Pippin, and Deadpool...)

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Ville Valo posted:

This is ridiculously childish, but can anyone get me a parts list to make this minifig-scale bong?

I can tell what the main tube is made of, and I think that's a pirate hook, and a pirate hat plume for the smoke, but that tube is too big for a minifigure to hold, and there's something on the base of it that the hook connects to. I want one for my S7 Hippie (and Merry and Pippin, and Deadpool...)

It looks like the hand is inserted into the slot in the bong, rather than clipping around it.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
The bit on the bottom is probably a clikit bead in trans-clear.

Edit: on further checking, it appears that that bead is actually flat so it's not the piece. It might be a non-production version of the LOTR ring.

Digital War fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 6, 2012

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=901&colorID=12
+
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=3668&colorID=9
+
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?colorID=1&itemID=3190
+
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?colorID=12&itemID=1340
+
Whatever base is made out of, I've never seen it

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It's a trans clear lotr ring (but gold would work fine too), a trans clear tecnic pin, a white triple hat feather and a pirate hook hand.

e: beaten

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Thanks everyone! Time to upgrade some minifigs.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Rustie posted:

Also it looks like the Ghost polybag is available in the US after all as a Target exclusive. I'll be headed to their Halloween section soon to pick one up.

East Coast trip report: The Target I went to had a Halloween section but it was empty, so I gave the DPCI number to an associate and he was able to get me 2 from the back for $3.99 each.

This thread has the DPCI number you need and a link to a store availability checker.

I also picked up the 30150 race car polybag a while back. It's a pretty cool model for just putting on a desk, and the Classic Space logo on the driver's jacket seals the deal.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm trying to combine the old tie advanced with the new ties, to make them fit together better. This is what I have so far:

Havn't gotten a solar panel/wing design I like figured out yet.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Finally, my precious...

Now, once I build it, where should I put it? I recently installed some new shelves, but they're already holding stuff...

This one has lots of little cubby holes, and room on top. I was hoping to save it for Helm's Deep. Right now, though, it has the Fellowship. Not the Fellowship of the Ring, though.

The Fellowship Of My Girlfriends Monkey Earrings! (Still missing Gandalf and Merry)

The other shelf is getting full pretty fast.

I have a bookshelf on another wall, too, that might be the best fit. But for now, I've got a long night of building ahead of me.

(All hosting is my own)

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Lord of the Rings would have been way better if an alien pimp turned up in his limo halfway through.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

nws posted:

This set is amazing, but I need feedback on the Taj Mahal. It's floating between 800 and 900 dollars and I want it so bad. Has anyone built it? Is it as awesome as it looks?

Yes, yes it is.

Just don't drop it moving while moving it to another room for safekeeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

ElZilcho posted:

Yes, yes it is.

Just don't drop it moving while moving it to another room for safekeeping.

That looks pretty safe to me.