Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Goddammit I can't open that gdoc on my iPad or phone. :negative: I can see the PDF list but the links don't actually function. Not sure if it's thanks to google docs hating Apple or that it's a zip, or what. I'll have to go save it when I get home. I'm such a complete lore whore too.

And 6 yessss please do a LOST DOG sequel, best loving AE mission ever. BARK BARK BARK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

i ran into a hitch when i found out i couldn't use beast mastery or even dark control so 4 legged rigs are out.

i'll think of something though.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I remember my friends and I doing that the first time. One of them wondered what would happen when we finished "Opening" the truck.

ARROOOOOOO remains the greatest piece of text in MMO history.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Abroham Lincoln posted:

quote:

this loving insane document posted:
Gargoyle was a Grotesque. A Grotesque is a fallen Avilan, a winged race descended from the blood of a Ki-Rin. Avila, the floating City will be introduced in expansion 7 after City of Villains launches.
ahahahahaha they were dead serious about doing loving Avilans, holy poo poo.

Which PDF is this from? Doing searches through the PDFs don't seem to be getting any hits for Gargoyle and getting ready for work means I don't have time to really comb through anything.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
When Ouroboros first opened, I assumed one of the reasons for the whole "mending the timestream" business was so that we could mess around in all sorts of goofy time-travel scenarios.

Like the day Nemesis became Emperor of America, doesn't that seem like a staggeringly obvious opportunity for a mission arc? Rally the heroes in Europe, get the President to safety, beat up Nemesis on the steps of the Supreme Court?

The lore had plenty of opportunities for that, but no follow-through. Which is really true of a lot of things in CoH -- great at introducing stuff, bad at resolving it. (I consider the follow-through on Praetoria the exception, I'd have loved to see more of that in other areas.)

The design docs talk about possible future plans, some of which could have been really great. The Clockwork King coming into his own as a major high-powered threat, for instance. Or Vahzilok becoming more dangerous as he refines his technology. LOVE those sorts of premises.

CoH spent so long being timid about the status quo, though, most of it was just wasted. Blowing up Galaxy City was a start, but talk about late in the game. Even something like "new" Faultline (remember when it was new?) was basically a self-contained exercise with no major impact on the world outside the zone. Statesman was another one, but it doesn't look like we'll really get to see the world REACT to that change.

I guess the counterpoint might be the fall of the Column and the rise of the Council, but that was so badly blundered it's difficult to count. I think a good shake-up would've left us shaking our heads at the before-and-after but the slapdash cut and paste job was a disappointment.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TonyV has put out a Call To Action, asking us to send handwritten letters via certified mail to NCSoft.

E-mails and petitions can be filtered as spam, but a desk full of handwritten letters is a little harder to ignore.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

a big fat bunny posted:

Which PDF is this from? Doing searches through the PDFs don't seem to be getting any hits for Gargoyle and getting ready for work means I don't have time to really comb through anything.

The badge one.

For those who don't know, Avilans were supposed to be an epic AT that used wings. Wings were previously A Big Deal, and they thought they'd have to integrate them heavily into a character model to work. Sort of like how Arachnos Soldiers actually have individual fingers, but only in their exclusive uniform costume slot.

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

Picked up GW2, my name thing is OniElem.1830, downloading right now.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

i might need to wait until (if) a point stipend comes in to do lost dog 2 justice. i need animal parts...

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

While we wait on Cu to put up a gw2 thread, I just wanted to drop in and say this is some of the poo poo I can craft for the lowbies:

Pistols, longbows (TRIGGER WARNING), shortbows, torches, horns, rifles and harpoon guns with the following level reqs/stat bonuses:

Level 10: +Condition damage, +Vitality, +power
Level 15: +Healing, +Precision (crit), +Toughness

I can also make you earrings and rings with the following level reqs/stat bonuses:

Level 10: +Condition damage, +Vitality, +power
Level 15: +Healing, +Precision (crit), +Toughness

I have materials for most of these. I have a fuckton of logs and a decent bit of leather and metal. The stat bonuses require a few extra bits, though. I'm Tsurupettan.9624, playing as Serentyl Aerist currently, so if you want something tell me. It's free!

e: I have 4 precision earrings and a ring sitting in my bank too. In two skill levels, I can also make necklaces and some wacky rear end mixed stat jewelry which is probably level 20?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 4, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Alright, i don't know about the rest of you. but I generally played with the sound off. Hearing my cyborg dude grunt like Arnold with every jump got old pretty hast.

But there are some sounds from this game that will never, ever leave my memory. the new enhancement slot noise. The socketing an enhancement noise, the sad little enhancement combination failure bloop. And the Atlas park music.

I looked on youtube, and I can't find the songs anywhere. Somebody please, figure out how to get them out of the files and upload them.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 4, 2012

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qcjoOdVHR8

This one's on youtube, at least. And wow is it nostalgic to listen to. drat. So many hours spent making costumes to this song.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Paragonwiki has you covered in terms of music.

edit: I always liked the Going Rogue/Praetorian title screen music.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

If Paragonwiki and the rest of the Titan Network stays up, I'll be so happy.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
My GW2 name is LaserShark.7052. I'm established on a different server, but chatting with you guys when my usual friends are offline would be a good thing.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Man after reading your reaction to all of this I'm so tempted to redownload this game, if it's even possible at this point.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

it's possible, but a lot of features of the game will be locked out, with no way to even enable them now that they've stopped taking subscriptions/microtransactions.

you can still make like, two characters i think, as most of the archetypes. if you had any old characters they're likely locked, or their inventions have been shut off, or something else like that.

really kind of highlights how bad their free to play model was.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
All right, all right, what with all the CoH goons on there now, I retract my earlier comment about NCSoft games and am giving GW2 a shot. My screen name is Miriable.2180. If you need someone to make dumb comments in channel that nobody ever responds to, I'm your man.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
How to cause people in Pocket D to flip their poo poo: /Bind (key) "beginchat /e ultimatepower". Press that key every few seconds.

Also decided to scrap the MRA Cheeta idea and instead go with something a little more anime: Super Spergin' Three.
Inspired by a terrible Youtube Let's Play near to my heart, "Let's Play Create a Saiyen".

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 4, 2012

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mirage posted:

All right, all right, what with all the CoH goons on there now, I retract my earlier comment about NCSoft games and am giving GW2 a shot. My screen name is Miriable.2180. If you need someone to make dumb comments in channel that nobody ever responds to, I'm your man.

Everyone should come. There's no subscription fee so even if you totally hate GW2, it won't cost you anything past the game purchase and you can go sit in one of the cities somewhere and chat with us and pretend you are in Pocket D oh god :smith:

Anyone who wants an invite can basically send a tell to anyone who posted in this thread, I think everyone has invite privileges. Add "Lettuce Fight" (should show as global Starkravingmad.somenumber) and I can invite if you whisper me (I think).

Cuchulain posted:

Alright, i don't know about the rest of you. but I generally played with the sound off. Hearing my cyborg dude grunt like Arnold with every jump got old pretty hast.

But there are some sounds from this game that will never, ever leave my memory. the new enhancement slot noise. The socketing an enhancement noise, the sad little enhancement combination failure bloop. And the Atlas park music.

The enhancement combination success - SHHHHHHHEEEEEEPCKKCKCKCKCK. The sword unsheathe. Leadership toggle tune.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 4, 2012

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Well this sucks.

While Starsiege was the game of my youth, City of Heroes was the game of my adolescence. One of my friends volunteered to help demo the game at some convention in 2005, and apparently they told him the password for their "PR accounts." Naturally our little group of friends logged in, made ugly-rear end heroes and played for free for a few years. They eventually disabled all hundred or so accounts when one of us hit 50, and that's when I started paying for the game. I made Designated Diver, a Willpower/Ice tank, and painfully made my way to 50. Then I found you guys.

Oh, the memories.

Edit: Also, thank you for making Gaydolf Shitler a reality.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 4, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

The enhancement combination success - SHHHHHHHEEEEEEPCKKCKCKCKCK. The sword unsheathe. Leadership toggle tune.

The little trumpets. Oh how I will miss them. :toot:+:qq:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just realized I'll never be able to watch the Doctor Who episode The Empty Child right again, because at the start the TARDIS makes the Twilight Grasp sound.

One of the Peacebringer power sounds is also played in Smells Like Nirvana, but I can probably survive hearing that without getting nostalgic.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

The City of Villains mission complete fanfare is probably one of my favorite sounds ever.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
God drat it sucks knowing I will never play Impossible Girl again. Rolling with you guys, kicking the poo poo out of romans, bullshitting with Tommy on skype. gently caress.

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have played city of heroes on and off for close to half my life now, which is hard to believe. When the game launched I was only 11 years old and now I'm 20. I spent the majority of it playing with a group of good people over on the infinity server, but in just the last year I started to play with goons a lot. Even though I've only been around a little while I'm gonna miss you guys, especially BMU, Baka, Tommy, Val, concles, and Pope. I haven't had a steam account in years but I'm definitely going to sign up to keep in touch.

(This is @UH OH)

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

You didn't give me a shout out I am so mad at you. <:mad:>

I always thought it was weird that we both played on Infinity for 7 years and apparently didn't know each other. Despite, you know, being the only two people on that server.

You know what I'll never forget? The Simian Defense Force. Those guys were hilarious.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Miijhal posted:

How to cause people in Pocket D to flip their poo poo: /Bind (key) "beginchat /e ultimatepower". Press that key every few seconds.

Also decided to scrap the MRA Cheeta idea and instead go with something a little more anime: Super Spergin' Three.
Inspired by a terrible Youtube Let's Play near to my heart, "Let's Play Create a Saiyen".

You don't have to do anything really for them to start getting lovely in Pocket D. Anything that is not directly kissing someone's rear end or agreeing with someone who is kissing someone's rear end is pretty much a strike out with them. They can't hang with any other kind of RP. God forbid you interrupt while they're all standing around doing air guitar emotes or something. Since not much playing has been going on..I've been walking around hoping to coax some of the backstories of people and I'm getting nothing out of them. That whole "huh? oh...why...yes!" or "hmmn' poo poo followed by nothing just makes me think someone on the other end is on downers. And if they're not Emo they're just trying to one up each other. They could take their little party to Second Life and have just as much "fun" as they do in CoH.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

All reading this story bible is doing is a) making me appreciate Nemesis even more because everything actually was a Nemesis Plot before the Nemesis Plot meme and b) making me more and more willing to perform actual murder for the current edition of the story bible.

I think I would choke an old man in his home for the current edition of the story bible.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I am amazed at how many people remember me and my ridiculous sentient dildo themed hero.

Gonna miss all my bros and bro-ettes :smith:

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I just got the email from support.

[quote]
We would first like to thank you for your support of City of Heroes. It is never easy to make this kind of decision. You can read the official announcement at http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/news_archive/thank_you.php. There is a discussion on the forums that you are free to join at http://boards.cityofheroes.com/shoSo wthread.php?t=295621.

For refunds of unused time or unspent Paragon Points, we will be contacting those players directly with information. Please watch the website for any official updates as soon as they are available.

City of Heroes will be available for at least the next three months. We are working on something special for our VIP and Premium players. As soon as these plans are ready, they will be announced on the website and the forums.

Regards,
The City of Heroes Support Team
[/quote/

AT LEAST 3 months. That's actually a long time to enjoy the game and could be longer if the community support keeps up. Would be cool if that something special was I24, the new pools and powers and yet another 3 month extension beyond this one.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I am amazed at how many people remember me and my ridiculous sentient dildo themed hero.

Gonna miss all my bros and bro-ettes :smith:

Come play the new game with us when it's over. We have most of the goonbros back already. :unsmith:

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry Cuchu, I never played with you all that much. I do remember the Simians, it was rather traumatic since they were my first exposure to furries on the internet. I was part of a supergroup that was pretty well known on infinity named dUmb (we put the u in dumb).

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I remember you guys! It's weird that I never picked up on the Simians being furries. I guess early teenage me just thought monkeys were cool enough and it didn't connect.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cuchulain posted:

I remember you guys! It's weird that I never picked up on the Simians being furries. I guess early teenage me just thought monkeys were cool enough and it didn't connect.

You know, I don't think I've ever seen actual non-joke monkey furries. I mean I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen them.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cleretic posted:

You know, I don't think I've ever seen actual non-joke monkey furries. I mean I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen them.

Wouldn't that be, like, evolutionary regressophilia and not furry necessarily? In these times, it's important to be specific with our sexual affinity labels.

Also, could I make a website from this new sub-sub-sub-sub genre and make mad bank from it?

Cuchulain posted:

Come play the new game with us when it's over. We have most of the goonbros back already. :unsmith:

I dunno man, can I make a robot or a warforged or something in this brave new world?

I pretty much don't make any character concept that isn't a robot or can't be twisted into SOME kind of sexual joke. BMU was that rare ticket that tickled both my fancies, if you know what I mean.

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wish we were moving to a game other than guild wars. It seems kind of wrong to jump to another NCSoft game after they screwed us over so badly.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Free Headcrab posted:

I wish we were moving to a game other than guild wars. It seems kind of wrong to jump to another NCSoft game after they screwed us over so badly.

Think of Guild Wars 2 as ArenaNet's. They're owned by NCSoft but based in Washington, so they're only accepting money from the Devil rather than being the Devil.

Also: Every time a Freakshow chops off a limb, Dr. Vahzilok buys it.

EDIT: Should we make a CoGS thread in the Guild'd Cage to get our GW2 talk over there so we can keep this thread on topic or is that way too circlejerky?

Patware fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 4, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Patware posted:

Think of Guild Wars 2 as ArenaNet's. They're owned by NCSoft but based in Washington, so they're only accepting money from the Devil rather than being the Devil.

Also: Every time a Freakshow chops off a limb, Dr. Vahzilok buys it.

EDIT: Should we make a CoGS thread in the Guild'd Cage to get our GW2 talk over there so we can keep this thread on topic or is that way too circlejerky?
I haven't read them yet, but offhand has anybody read why the Vahzilok are so much more Impressive than the Banished Pantheon.

I mean, sure. Vaz only show up at lower levels and the Banished are higher. But aside from some of the mask bosses being annoying, Banished Minions and most of their Lieutenants are just complete punks, even after accounting for having more powers by the time you tackle them.

Let's see, toxic spewing science zombies who also smack you around that undead countering items to LESS damage to. Compared to slow weak pistols and the occasionally club or girly slap dark cult zombies what a temp power smacks around like a bitch.

Lore Wise I know they got the whole Dark Gods and are responsible for Dark Astoria, but from a fear and difficulty standpoint, they the Banished are a relief to see compared to the Vaz.

EDIT: I got GW2 the other day, a City Of Goonsquad thing in it's proper forum/thread would probably be welcome. Even if I don't keep at GW2 when I eventually transition back to Champions for my robot murdering supervillains fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

So, the devs have these little gold titles they can hand out to players with set durations that can say whatever they want. Typically they just pass these out at events or whatever, but an interesting one cropped up as of late.

In the last Coffee Talk video on their channel, there was also a bit where Zwill was flipping through multiple camera angles, and had text onscreen that read "Insert Kickstarter URL Here". A backer is a term for someone who contributes to a Kickstarter.

The plot thickens?

• Locked thread