Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jale
Nov 6, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That's an interesting question. What conclusion did they come to?

Dolph Ziggler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Jale posted:

Dolph Ziggler
but then Dave went on to frame it that Dolph would need to have an arm injury and refuse to job and then get fired, or something like that haha

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

triplexpac posted:

but then Dave went on to frame it that Dolph would need to have an arm injury and refuse to job and then get fired, or something like that haha

Austin was injured in Japan, and the taping that he missed because of that injury was one where he was going to job out pretty bad, and WCW didn't think he was really injured so they canned him. And also Dave goes super-literal on his analogies.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

CVagts posted:

Austin was injured in Japan, and the taping that he missed because of that injury was one where he was going to job out pretty bad, and WCW didn't think he was really injured so they canned him. And also Dave goes super-literal on his analogies.

Yeah I know the was the case with Austin. I just love examples of Dave being super literal.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
New Shootcast.

I had RandomBattle sit down and watch Smackdown, and get his reactions. He hasn't watched wrestling at all since the attitude era, and wasn't a superfan even then. His reactions will make you :unsmith:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I know the was the case with Austin. I just love examples of Dave being super literal.

Dave's pretty great like that. Hell, why wouldn't someone fake an injury to get out of jobbing to The Renegade.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I also loved

"WWF hired Austin? We didn't want him anyway." :smug:

"Oh, WWF is pushing Austin as a main eventer? Well that's because we've got more talent than WWF does and he couldn't make it here" :smug:

*one year later*

:smith:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So which wrestler is going to refuse to job to The Ryback, get fired because of it, move to TNA and make them the biggest wrestling promotion in the world?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Gonzo McFee posted:

So which wrestler is going to refuse to job to The Ryback, get fired because of it, move to TNA and make them the biggest wrestling promotion in the world?
That's easy: Alex Riley.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Perigryn posted:

That's easy: Alex Riley.

But he grew up always wanting to be a Sports Entertainer! :smith:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Dave is now on Twitter! @DaveMeltzerWON

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

He's making unprompted HHH jokes. What has the world come to?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Swagger Dagger posted:

He's making unprompted HHH jokes. What has the world come to?

I don't know... but I like it.

edit: "I mean, I was at a party last night and... *laughs* it's not like I went around talking about Japanese wrestling." :lol:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 3, 2012

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Does anyone have any advice for dealing with a massively inflated head? I hate when Joe's right.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

dshban posted:

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with a massively inflated head? I hate when Joe's right.
Belittling comments on minor things usually works.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Huge wall of text incoming.

Okay, some smartass started a GDT for UFC 151. Which is a pretty funny troll.

But then they forgot they who they were trollin'.

(Should Chael be at the arena)

Dave posted:

He should be there with a camera crew and Lance Russell with an octagon and 11,000 empty seats.

Empty Arena matches started in Memphis

quote:

Right now he should ask for a ten count and have them count Jones out.

quote:

The crowd sure is arriving late. The place is empty and the PPV portion is about to start.

quote:

I wonder if we can trick Hunter into thinking this is a boxing show and they want him to hold up Jones' belt because he thinks we mean Roy Jones and see if he forgets to bring his fake cast again so we can get a big story on WWE.com as damage control.

He thought that one was so good he tweeted it too

(Are we getting a recap on observer radio)

quote:

In honor of the legacy of UFC 151 that will be one hour of silence.

quote:

Maybe we can start a petition to get Cameron hired as a ring girl. At least if Dana asks her the best match she's ever seen, and she says Miesha Tate vs. Julie Kedzie, people will think she knows what she's talking about.

(crowd seems dead)

quote:

Fight Factory kills people's heat.

Koscheck just arrived and nobody made a sound.

quote:

Chael just showed up. Sounds like he memorized some Terry Funk promo from 1981.

quote:

He just poured motor oil over his head and said, "BTW, his reach won't matter. He will hit me, so what. I will get him down, and he will NEVER get up. I'm 5 takedowns away from being Champ."

And then that guy who played Little Devon in some WWE skit showed up with Inspector Gadget arms holding a bag with the caption "Jon Jones arrives, 6:52 p.m."

:iiam:

quote:

Henderson's in the front row with a crutch. I smell a set up.

quote:

Mayhem Miller just arrived. He's holding a fire extinguisher and he's looking for Nick Diaz. This could give the sport a black eye.

What? I don't even...

quote:

Police just showed up. Miller apologized. He said it was a miscommunication. He said he was reading a story in the Las Vegas Sun that called the Mandalay Bay Events Center the "Cathedral" of entertainment. Then he took all his clothes off and he was wearing underwear that read "Don't be scared, Homie."

... Oh :iceburn:

quote:

Somebody at press row just told me a joke.

Did you realize that it's going to go down in history that the winner of the Wrestler of the Year award for 2012 was booked in 2011 by Vince Russo to wear a mask, be called Okato and wasn't even allowed to wrestle.

I said Vince Russo was a bad judge of talent, but let's not be preposterous.

:staredog:

quote:

John Laurinaitis was watching the feed and when Jay Hieron came out, he thought it was the guy who did the Ric Flair and Randy Savage impersonation on Impact.

quote:

Dana just texted me. He said the empty arena was because September is the start of Christmas season and the fan base is all out shopping. He did agree the judging sucked in the last fight.

quote:

Miguel Torres just got hired back. Now he's back on twitter. He going for Marty's record.

(gets heckled)

quote:

Hath. You're still retarded even in the middle of a fantasy show.

Zing.

quote:

Great, just what we need is a replay of the Guida vs. Maynard fight. Glad Gray didn't get hurt two weeks before this fight or else they'd have no time to completely rework Guida's brilliant game plan for the new opponent.

quote:

Main event doesn't even start for 25 more minutes. Hieron is stinking the joint up still.

(This can't really be Dave)

quote:

If you can rationalize that a guy trained until he was ready to puke, had all his training partners pound on him for three straight months to get ready, was about to make a million dollars and then decided it was smarter to become a laughing stock, then yes, it really is me.

If not, it's some Mexican guy.

quote:

Okada vs. Tanahashi was way more fun.

quote:

Torres was just fired again. Free advice to UFC fighters, don't joke about someone saying Stop Don't No loudly and pretending you heard no don't stop because you're dyslexic.

(Forrest ran out of the building)

quote:

Like Jackson would need more than three days to come up with that game plan.

quote:

Every time Buffer announces him as Jake Ellen Berger, I keep thinking his parents conceived him watching some afternoon talk show host.

quote:

Have you ever thought about what life must be like if you're Evangelista Cyborg Santos, and everywhere you go people talk behind your back about how your husband beats you up worse than Nick Diaz ever did?

quote:

Overeem isn't really that scary, but he can sure run fast. Did you know Overeem runs a 4.3 40? He did tonight when some guy holding a cup tapped him on the shoulder.

I'm here all week, stay for the fish.

quote:

Yeah, about that guy who ran WCW and did a storyline where he was trying to put WCW out of business. That worked out well. Kind of like that booker who thought it would be a good idea to run a storyline that his wife was having an affair on him with some guy he's feuding with.

At least if I was running WWE I'd use the history of wrestling to make some money, like take kickbacks from the guys on who gets Layla to be their girlfriend in storyline.

(Someone posted that Chael was going to wait in the rafters at every UFC show until he gets his title shot which I thought was pretty funny)

quote:

I've already talked with Chael about this.

We have a bet on which of our sons takes on a fake identity and marries Aurora Rose on the rebound and then gets the entire McMahon-Helmsley-Levesque empire.

I came up with it watching the remake of "Dallas."

And then the thread ends with Coughlin saying Dave is the Undertaker because he always brings it on the big shows, and Todd going "WTF is going on".

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So Dave has finally snapped?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't even know how you respond to that

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
What in the world...?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
People who Dave follows:
John Cena, Jim Ross, Dixie Carter, Kurt Angle, Stone Cold, The Rock, AJ Styles and The New York Times.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 4, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

How can anyone in the world hate Dave Meltzer after reading that

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cardboard Box posted:

Only the ones who don't like Kane and Bryan hugging it out.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cardboard Box posted:

He's finally found a place where he isn't cripplingly awkward.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
I just realised something...

Now Dave can call out anyone on Twitter who's being stupid like Angle!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LordPants posted:

Huge wall of text incoming.

I still wouldn't call this as good as the daily news updates where he just trolls everything there. Those are works of beauty.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Perigryn posted:

People who Dave follows:
John Cena, Jim Ross, Dixie Carter, Kurt Angle, Stone Cold, The Rock, FAKE AJ Styles and The New York Times.
Fixed. I have no idea how he thought that account was legit.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Jack Krauser posted:

Fixed. I have no idea how he thought that account was legit.
Maybe he asked about the fanbase that he's uncomfortable with.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am more interested in who follows Dave. Namely, who is the first WWE or TNA talent/writer to be stupid enough to follow him and end up in the dog house.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

I am more interested in who follows Dave. Namely, who is the first WWE or TNA talent/writer to be stupid enough to follow him and end up in the dog house.
At least one WWE guy seriously thought Johnny would clear an Observer interview in January.
I'm hoping this fool outs himself.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

At least one WWE guy seriously thought Johnny would clear an Observer interview in January.
I'm hoping this fool outs himself.

Yeah I'm so curious who it is. I like to think it was John Cena, that he's completely sheltered to the politics and pettiness of the WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I'm so curious who it is. I like to think it was John Cena, that he's completely sheltered to the politics and pettiness of the WWE.

Given he's done two interviews on WOL in the past he wouldn't be the least likely candidate.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Cena tried to do NXT and got shut down. He is the real disrespected talent.

Anyone would believe Dave when he said it would never happen unless they were incredibly naive or believed they were in a position where the office no longer said no to them.
Punk.
I guess The Rock falls into the same category.

Naive guess: Mark Henry, fresh off a very well regarded run and no longer WHC.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I doubt The Rock would need to ask the WWE to do a media appearance, even if it is Wrestling Observer. If he really wanted to do it, I assume he would do it.

Like what's Vince going to do about it, really.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRayPer posted:

Well, from my list: Seth Rollins, Kassius Ohno...and THE FINK. :lol:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Perigryn posted:

Well, from my list: Seth Rollins, Kassius Ohno...and THE FINK. :lol:

Makes you wonder if he was a source.

Not that he needed him as back in the day he had half the WWF staff anyway like Patterson and Vince...

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hero would have been in the middle of his testosterone controversy around the time some WWE guy asked to be on the podcast.

Jeff Jarrett and Brodie Lee are also following.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

I doubt The Rock would need to ask the WWE to do a media appearance, even if it is Wrestling Observer. If he really wanted to do it, I assume he would do it.

Like what's Vince going to do about it, really.

Rock did a WOR appearance didn't he? Like right before he came back? Might be mixing it up with Bret or something. I know Stone Cold and Jericho both did.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best part of the Jericho one (which was really just to shill his book) is him cracking everyone up with the "Jericho gets locked out of the arena" story.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Sometimes I remember just really weird moments from old WORs and I feel like I can't get it out of my head unless I share it. Here's one of them.

I remember, I think soon after Brock had his first kid, Bryan was being really weird about (and I'm quoting to the best of my knowledge) "if anyone was going to eat their own kid, it would be Brock."

Which led to Dave responding literally, as Dave is wont to do, and telling Bryan the Brock is not going to eat his son.

And then Bryan sputtered and said something like he isn't saying Brock was going to eat his son, but if SOMEONE was going to eat his or her son, it would be Brock.

And then Dave reiterated that Brock was not going to eat his kid.

So I'm wondering if anyone else remembers hearing this, and especially if time is making me remember this as more bizarre than it actually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gonzo McFee posted:

gently caress yeah! William Regal and Colt talking catch as catch can sounds like a listen and a half.

Part 1 is up right now!

• Locked thread