Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Taking the pill was never a hassle for me, and I would gladly take it still if I trusted it more. But, I'm not going to lie, having to keep up with one less thing with my memory problems is A-OK.

And I sure as hell loved not having to set a 7 AM alarm on my vacay to remember to take it. I can never remember to take pills at night, so I was a morning taker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Elk
Feb 23, 2011

jai Mundi posted:

Question:

I have a paragard IUD. My partner and I just started taking HCG to lose weight. We're both fatties, so enjoy the fatty sex question ahead:

Doctor says that HCG will make us both more fertile. Would it be wise to use condoms, or is the IUD sufficient?

I'd track my periods to determine any fertile periods, but since having my IUD in April, I've had one-and-a-half period. I ain't complaining. I hope the whole works is broken...

Dunno what doctor you're going to that's condoning it, but hCG is not FDA approved for weight loss, especially if you're on the crazy diet that usually goes with it: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm

Content: My doctor screwed up my prescription and gave me Tricyclen Lo (triphasic) instead of the Lo Ovral (monophasic) I've been taking for the past 10 years. Anyone have any experience with switching between triphasic and monophasic pills? I read that triphasic pills can cause worse mood swings and I'm kind of worried about getting all :byodame:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Anne Elk posted:

Dunno what doctor you're going to that's condoning it, but hCG is not FDA approved for weight loss, especially if you're on the crazy diet that usually goes with it: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm

Content: My doctor screwed up my prescription and gave me Tricyclen Lo (triphasic) instead of the Lo Ovral (monophasic) I've been taking for the past 10 years. Anyone have any experience with switching between triphasic and monophasic pills? I read that triphasic pills can cause worse mood swings and I'm kind of worried about getting all :byodame:
Can you not just call the office and ask them to correct it and have them fax the prescription to your pharmacy?

FengShuiNinja
Aug 18, 2012

This is a great thread. I've been reading it with interest because I'm weighing the pros and cons of implantable/injectable birth control options. I learned I can get them for free! I want to be on the ball before my baby is born so I won't have two children 16 months apart, which seems to be a theme with ladies in my family.

Also- I'm loving the link to the extra-large/larger sized condoms in the OP. At first my husband and I thought we weren't following directions correctly causing things to break. It turns out he was the problem. :doh:

Question:

How many of you experienced severe abdominal pain or intolerable periods after starting the Depo shot? This has occurred in half the ladies I've known to have use it. I've read this thread and have seen a scattered response.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
My poor sister got a Mirena in (on my recommendation, since mine is working out so awesomely) and has been constantly bleeding ever since. She also says sex hurts, in her words "like it's a bigger wiener hitting farther in but it's not". It's only been 3 weeks for her though, so I hope it clears up. I didn't have any problems like that with mine, so I thought her experience would be similar.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I was told spotting could last from 6 to 8 weeks (I got lucky there) and to hold off on sex for about two weeks.

I cramped for a good while, too. Probably solid period like cramps for about 3 weeks (that third week actually being my period).

Maybe have her take a sex break for a little while and let things settle some more?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I had an extreme upper-end spotting/uncomfortable sex duration with my Mirena, but after like six months of pantyliners and very careful sex it got better and now it's AMAZING. I know three weeks seems like forever, but hang in there-- you're not even off the ground yet.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I've been taking nortrel for about 2.5 years now, and my period is basically nonexistant at this point. Is this normal? I've had maybe 4 instances in the last year where all that happened during white pills week was the tiniest bit of spotting and a tiiiny bit of aching. Didn't even look like fresh blood. I'm not exactly complaining, since my periods were pretty brutal before I went on the pill, but I figured I'd ask.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That's pretty much what happened to me on the pill, though it took a bit longer than 2.5 years to get to that point, but the combo pill is supped to thin the lining and it sounds like that's what it's doing!

I haven't had a real period since the first week of July with Mirena. I can definitely get used to that.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Oh hell yes! I thought it was too good to be true! :sun:

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie

Anne Elk posted:

Noted. Thanks.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
I've gone back 10 pages and didn't see anything about this so I apologize if its already been asked a couple times.

I just started taking Alesse in July. My husband has been deployed and I wanted to make sure it was all working by the time he got home. Of course, the window of time that he's going to be home is the week that I am going to be on my period. Is it okay to skip the placebo pills and just go right into another pack so that I skip my period? Or is it going to mess me up?

I just really REALLY don't want to have my period the first week my husband has been home in 8 months.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
You can skip placebo and start a new pack. I used to do it every once and again to skip my period for events or travel. Although, my next period was always heavier and bitchier.

You may still experience breakthrough bleeding, though. But I hope not and I hope you get to have great sexyfuntimes!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Geolicious posted:

You can skip placebo and start a new pack.

You may still experience breakthrough bleeding, though.

When I try to skip, I spot the entire month until my next pack starts. Many people skip and don't bleed though. I'd advise trying to skip placebos the month before he gets back (unless it's already too late) that way the week your period comes is different than when he gets back.

I tried to skip placebos right before a trip, but it backfired and I bled the entire time instead of not having my period.

Plus, depending on how heavy a bleeder you are, you can always opt for shower sex, or just lay a towel down.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I only had breakthrough bleeding once when I skipped and that's when I was on my field methods course (basically 4 weeks of camping and horrid nutrition).

I was a terribly lucky pill user, though.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
I've had 3 periods in the last month.

I started another one tonight, with all the cramping I used to get.

I'm hoping that the NP figures out something else, because I'm at my wit's end. I'm still anemic, and this does not help at all.

Parsnip
Jun 24, 2004
you chose...poorly
I feel really stupid asking this, but here I am! I'm on Necon 1/35. I didn't get my period so I took a test and it came back negative. The weird thing was, I had days of more than light spotting from 8-2 to 8-5 (the 2nd week of pills). So, if I were counting the time since my last missed period, would I start from the spotting as a period? Or was it fine going from when I would have had my period anyway (around the 18th)? I had had sex either July 29 or 30th.

For reference! I'm 27, and have been on the pill since I was 18. From 18 until this March I was taking Ogestrel (0.5mg norgestrel and 0.05mg ethinyl estradiol) When I went to a dedicated gyno (my PCP had always done my Pap smears) she remarked that she hasn't seen a patient on Ogestrel in 10 years, and changed it to the Necon 1/35. Even with the switch I have been getting periods regularly during the placebo week, which is why I am concerned about this weirdness. I have never had spotting like that in between periods.

Should I bother with another test? I am getting my last Gardasil shot next Wed. so should I just wait and ask then? Or am I just being worried over nothing?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Parsnip posted:

So, if I were counting the time since my last missed period, would I start from the spotting as a period? Or was it fine going from when I would have had my period anyway (around the 18th)? I had had sex either July 29 or 30th.

Should I bother with another test? I am getting my last Gardasil shot next Wed. so should I just wait and ask then? Or am I just being worried over nothing?

I don't understand your question. You take one pill everyday, no matter when you bleed. What do you mean when you say would you start it from the spotting? When you swapped pills did you not start the next pack right after the end your your last one?

Parsnip
Jun 24, 2004
you chose...poorly

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I don't understand your question. You take one pill everyday, no matter when you bleed. What do you mean when you say would you start it from the spotting? When you swapped pills did you not start the next pack right after the end your your last one?

I swapped the pills in March. I was just putting it in for additional info. :) I should have gotten my period Aug 18ish, but it never came. The last time I had one was July 16th or so, and then that random spotting in the beginning of Aug. I might have missed a day in pills (but then doubled up the next), but I don't remember.. I am sure I am just being overly anxious!

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Been on Jolivette, which is one of the mini pill brands similar to Micronor, for about 6-7 months with few problems.

So, this past week or so I've been on a hardcore dose of antibiotics (amoxicillin) and prescription painkillers (Tramadol) due to a badly infected wisdom tooth. To top it all off, my period started 2 weeks early today. :v:

So with all the stress going on, it doesn't really surprise me. But: does this mean that the effectiveness of the pill is shot because of the random breakthrough bleeding? Luckily I don't have much to worry about for this month because the pain has made the thought of doing much else aside from lying on the couch in a painkiller-induced haze completely unappealing. I'm just trying to decide if we should use a backup method for awhile when things get back to normal (which should be soon - I managed to eat something that wasn't a liquid today! This was a depressingly huge event).

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Parsnip posted:

I swapped the pills in March. I was just putting it in for additional info. :) I should have gotten my period Aug 18ish, but it never came. The last time I had one was July 16th or so, and then that random spotting in the beginning of Aug. I might have missed a day in pills (but then doubled up the next), but I don't remember.. I am sure I am just being overly anxious!

If you swapped pills back-to-back how I described, you're fine. How much or when you bleed does not determine how protected you are; taking the pill when you're supposed to does.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
In a cab on my way back from my Paragard insertion! Man it really wasn't as bad as I thought. More of an ache than anything, no cramps so far. Getting my nipples pierced was waaaaay worse.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie

showbiz_liz posted:

In a cab on my way back from my Paragard insertion! Man it really wasn't as bad as I thought. More of an ache than anything, no cramps so far. Getting my nipples pierced was waaaaay worse.

Good on ya! Mine wasn't too bad either. Grab a stick on heating pad, for cramping, if you get any. I've had smooth sailing for the past 4 months.

ElNiffi
Jun 26, 2012
So I've read the thread and OP of course, but I'm here looking for a bit of reassurance.
When my boyfriend and I started having sex, I was on the pill. Aka we didn't use condoms. After about 4 months together (like 8 on the pill) , I decided I wanted to stop. It was making me very hormonal and I was having horrible anxiety attacks. I stopped the pill for a few months and we went back to condoms.
I felt much better, but the drawback is neither one of us likes condoms. (Who does?) I was feeling much better after being off the pill for a month or so, but was ready to try a different brand. I talked with my doctor and she put me on Microgestin 1/20, the 21 pill pack.
I've been through an entire pack now and am on my off week. Technically, once I start the next pack we can go back to condomless sex.
The problem: I REALLY don't want to get pregnant. I know the success rates with perfect and typical use. I have always been a perfect user: same time everyday, never missed a day (I have hypothyroidism as well, so a daily pill was easy peasy). But I'm not oblivious and I know there is still a failure rate.

Basically, I don't want to use condoms as well, but I also don't want to be pregnant. So what exactly are my odds here, and should I stop worrying?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Ultimately, the failure rate for condoms is higher than that of hormonal birth control, especially if you know you're good at taking your pill properly. The pills are designed to stop pregnancy by themselves, so as long as you keep up your perfect use, you'll be fine. Have a look at this table, it might ease your worries - the combined pill has a 0.3% failure rate with perfect use, as opposed to 2% with male condoms. I realise you said you know the rates, but it really is a big enough disparity that if you were fine with using condoms before, you should be alright now you're on the pill.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I... Am not sure this is the best place to ask this, but it's the best place I can think of as it's populated with ladies.

I'm on the pill, have been for ages and I have no issues with it. My periods are usually predictable: come on 4 days after last pill, pain and relatively heavy bleeding for 2 days then it very quickly tapers to spotting. However, this month I've been in pain for 3 days (though not any more severe) and just now, on day 4 of my period, I seem to be bleeding super heavily. As in I'm wearing a pad to sleep with and I just went to pee, then between taking my pants down and sitting on the toilet I bled on the floor. Should I be worried? This totally isn't the norm for me but periods are strange beasts and my doctor is an hour away so I wanted to see what people thought. I also appear to be having an emotional breakdown.

I was drinking last night, could that have anything to do with it?

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 8, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Are you filling more than a pad an hour? If not, don't worry.

I'd go with the "periods are strange beasts" theory and take deep breaths and eat lots of chocolate/dairy/your craved item of choice.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Yeah, it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse so I think I'm fine. I wasn't too worried, just needed some reassurance because it's so out of the ordinary for me. Thank you!

ElNiffi
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks, Bollock Monkey.

I think I'm just being a worry wart. Nothing new there. :3:

In the same line of thought, though, I think maybe we should spend another month using condoms. When I got the script for the Microgestin, I started taking it right away (approved by my gyno) and at that time I was halfway through my cycle. So I got my period a couple of weeks ago at the normal time, even though I hadn't taken my off week. Then when I did have my off week, there was nothing.

Basically, should I wait until my cycle has been adjusted to the pill taking, or am I safe now?

Thanks!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
If you've already taken one whole pack, you're safe by now for sure. When your period comes (or doesn't) does not affect the effectiveness of the pill.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
After (seemingly) ages of waiting, my tubal is tomorrow morning. So nervous - it'll be the second time I've had surgery (the first being an emergency removal of my gallbladder about three years ago) and... it's a little scary to know it's coming because I went and read a ton of horror stories about people that get put under but aren't really asleep and stuff because I'm stupid. I know that's not really even a possibility, but auuugh. :ohdear:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I am so glad you are getting what you need and want, drat Satyr. It will be fine and let us know how it goes. I hope I can get mine after my Mirena expires.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Man, drugs are so good.

My surgery went very well - I ended up sleeping off all the crazy who-knows-what painkillers they gave me all evening, and the doctor apparently told my husband that I'm going to be (am in?) considerably more pain than I would have been in otherwise. It seems that after she got in there, she found a little something unexpected.

Turns out, there wasn't any sign at all that I have PCOS. Oh no, but I am eaten up with scars from Endometriosis, as well as had a few little places in progress. So she took then off, and took a lot of little snapshots too. I scanned it, if anyone is interested in looking at pictures of insides.

Now, time to post this on my Facebook - if women can be like 'LOOK AT MY ULTRASOUND BABBY SO CUTE' then by god I am going to post this nasty crap that I made all by myself with no help of a drat man. :v:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Glad you came through all right. I thought about you earlier today.

I'm assuming those clamps were just temporary, right? Don't they laser the tube in two now? My mom had clamps and those things came loose on her.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Geolicious posted:

Glad you came through all right. I thought about you earlier today.

I'm assuming those clamps were just temporary, right? Don't they laser the tube in two now? My mom had clamps and those things came loose on her.

Honestly, I have no idea - I didn't actually get to speak to the doctor after I came out, and I didn't actually get to see the picture until well after I was home and coherent. I've got a follow up appointment in ~2 weeks though and they'll be doing x-rays to check so I can only assume that they left them in there. I just asked my husband, and he said that the way the doctor talked was that they didn't cut anything other than the lesions, that the tubes were meant to just be blocked by those clamps.

Thinking about it in retrospect, though... that really doesn't sound right? I mean, the reason that the other gyno urged me to get the surgery instead of Essure was so that I wouldn't 'have bits of metal in my body for the rest of my life'. :psyduck: And off goes Satyr into panic mode... I guess I'll call them first thing in the morning and ask/clarify. :/

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, my mom had the surgery almost 30 years ago. I'm sure things are better/different. I was told a few years ago, they laser/cauterize them now. So, I'm sure they did. Didn't mean to make you panic!!!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Nah, it's all good Geolicious - I should have thought about making sure my husband asked these questions, but the last several days have been kind-of anxiety mode about this whole thing. I think now I'm just gone into that weird, kind of exhausted-hysterical exhaustion where I want to keep freaking out but on the other hand I just can't make myself get that into it to actually panic. :c

Either way though, the worst thing about this is that they glued me. Ugh, glue! The post-OP nurse told me not to bandage it after I took the little wrappings they put on it to get me home off, and uuuuuugh this stuff is vile. I just keep telling myself, this is all going to be worth it because no babies, only kitties forever.

ElNiffi
Jun 26, 2012
I'm glad to hear things went well, drat Satyr. Surgery freaks me out too.

I seem to be brimming with questions at the moment!

Most recently: I'm taking a stool softener. I thought it was awkward enough to have to go into a pharmacy here in Germany and explain it to them. Just one upped myself by sharing it with the internet.

Anywho, I know one is supposed to use a back up method if taking the pill and experiencing vomiting and/or diarrhea. I feel like a simple stool softener is ok though?

Correct me please!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
As long as the pill isn't passing through your system within an hour, you're okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNiffi
Jun 26, 2012
Seems like everything plans to hit the fan all at once.

I started my second month of Microgestin 1/20 this last Sunday. I take it every morning at 10 am, and every day, about an hour after taking it, nausea sets in.

It's not horrible, just enough to make it hard to study and make me not want to do anything. It doesn't seem to be easing up at all, in fact, today it was horrible and I couldn't finish dinner.

My skin seems not to be reacting to it this month, but I would almost take a bit of acne over this.

I know this is a normal side effect, but at what point to I say it's gone on too long?

• Locked thread