Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I just started to listen to Football weekly. It's really funny, I was pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Von Linus posted:

I just started to listen to Football weekly. It's really funny, I was pleasantly surprised.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks just quite yet.

That has to be up there with "Blow me, gently caress face" as the funniest cursing in a FW pod.

I don't get the Sid hate, he's got a tough job dealing with the madness that is Spanish football and deciphering all the bullshit. He's actually pretty fun in person too, the two or three times a year that he is.

He actually appears on the odd ESPN documentary on spanish football. And plus, he doesn't make people call him Dr Lowe, which is pretty humble.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I really like Sid, but the whole "Sid Lowe cynic voice" was hilarious.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

LordPants posted:

I don't get the Sid hate, he's got a tough job dealing with the madness that is Spanish football and deciphering all the bullshit. He's actually pretty fun in person too, the two or three times a year that he is.

I think some people's problem is that he's on it every episode. Frankly, the sense of entitlement some people have for a free podcast is staggering.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Mickolution posted:

I think some people's problem is that he's on it every episode. Frankly, the sense of entitlement some people have for a free podcast is staggering.

What? People are hardly posting in disgust. I hate this thing about not being able to do anything but compliment something because it's free. You've been reading too many of Glendenning's posts I think. Sid Lowe knows his poo poo but he's unsuited to the format because he doesn't know how to get to the point of whatever it is he's saying is all I've thought for a long time and it's funny to hear the other presenters point this out too.

hamza
Mar 3, 2007

LordPants posted:

He actually appears on the odd ESPN documentary on spanish football. And plus, he doesn't make people call him Dr Lowe, which is pretty humble.

You don't know many PhDs, do you?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Sid Lowe just tries to make everything a little more dramatic than it actually is. He's obviously a bit of a big old nerd and isn't always comfortable delivering some of the lines he's come up with. It's much worse if you read his articles. I've gone off him a bit because I'm not that interested in hearing what Madrid/Barcelona have done that week and what that means to the other one. He's on twice a week usually, I'd keep him for once a fortnight or something.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I am OK posted:

What? People are hardly posting in disgust. I hate this thing about not being able to do anything but compliment something because it's free. You've been reading too many of Glendenning's posts I think. Sid Lowe knows his poo poo but he's unsuited to the format because he doesn't know how to get to the point of whatever it is he's saying is all I've thought for a long time and it's funny to hear the other presenters point this out too.

Sorry, I didn't mean on here, I should have been more clear.

I was referring to idiots on Twitter (and seemingly on the comments section on the GU site, not that I've ever read that, just going by what they mention on the pod occasionally) who go on about him and the same people who poo poo their pants whenever there's a stand-in presenter.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
The stand-ins are shite.

And it's not really a free podcast; it's a Guardian podcast, with a shitey advert at the start and the end.

Sid is great, by the way. Glad to hear anything but EPL shite.

Rangers go out of business and Celtic qualify for the Champions' League but do these idiots mention it? No, they're more interested in QPR's signings. Ridiculous.

The pod is only worth bothering with when they don't discus English football.

Here's a Glasgow based podcast you may like, it's in the vein of Football Ramble but not anywhere near as annoying - The Full Jairzinho (http://thefulljairzinho.podomatic.com/).

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Why should they talk about the SPL? They barely ever mention the leagues in Cyprus and USA too.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
They have 4 people who are quality and the rest will spin a ridiculous "crisis" or "overrated" story at the drop of a hat just to look like they are one step ahead, but only look stupid.

Unless that has changed, I wouldn't bother with it. It is almost as bad as the TRP Transfer thread for wrong.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

jyrka posted:

Why should they talk about the SPL? They barely ever mention the leagues in Cyprus and USA too.

Eh?

How many Cypriots or Americans listen, compare to Scottish people?

There are a lot of Scottish players and managers doing well in England right now.

In fact, what the gently caress are you even on? Scotland has one of the biggest stories of sporting corruption in our lifetime and you're questioning why they would mention it?! gently caress off.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

hadji murad posted:

They have 4 people who are quality and the rest will spin a ridiculous "crisis" or "overrated" story at the drop of a hat just to look like they are one step ahead, but only look stupid.

Unless that has changed, I wouldn't bother with it. It is almost as bad as the TRP Transfer thread for wrong.

Aye, liked Jimbo's assertation that Liverpool are on the cusp of something special. Not often do you get him saying something like that. Liked it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I imagine a lot more Americans listen to it than Scots.

Also calling whatever happened "one of the biggest stories of sporting corruption in our lifetime" is being pretty loving kind to 100s of other cases of corruption in sports. I think your geographic proximity to the situation is clouding your ability to see it fairly.

But keep raging I guess if you're that desperate to hear people who don't know/care about Glasgow Rangers talk about Glasgow Rangers to an audience made of 99% people who don't know/care about Glasgow Rangers.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

jyrka posted:

Also calling whatever happened "one of the biggest stories of sporting corruption in our lifetime" is being pretty loving kind to 100s of other cases of corruption in sports. I think your geographic proximity to the situation is clouding your ability to see it fairly.

But keep raging I guess if you're that desperate to hear people who don't know/care about Glasgow Rangers talk about Glasgow Rangers to an audience made of 99% people who don't know/care about Glasgow Rangers.

Name me 3 cases that come close to Rangers'.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
(I mean there's a few things I could argue, with that idiot's post, but we'll start with that).

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

I like when Sid Lowe drops an obscure fact about some mid table La Liga club and its cool for a minute and then you forget it by the next section

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Modus Trollens posted:

T
I like when Sid Lowe drops an obscure fact about some mid table La Liga club and its cool for a minute and then you forget it by the next section

Judging by his stories, there's plenty to talk about outwith the big two. He normally finds an interesting angle for his recaps even when both Barca and Real pulverize their opponents.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

ICA posted:

Of sporting corruption? Really?

That's an insane argument, Rangers barely even qualifies as corruption, it was tax evasion and terrible financial management.

[edit]For the record I'm not arguing with the scale of it being A Huge Huge Deal in international football, just that it's not even on the radar in terms of "corruption".

Hoops fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 2, 2012

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

jyrka posted:

you're talking absolute poo poo, rangers are a massive club and their decline relative to their position is completely unheard of, and if you think 99% of football supporters dont know about rangers you're a loving moron

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

ICA posted:

Unless you were born on the morning of the day Rangers did whatever they did and then died later that night, it's not the biggest sports corruption story of your lifetime.

Check out all the cool match fixing in Italy, Turkey, Greece and most of Eastern Europe for real corruption with people going to jail and receiving lifetime bans from soccer and so on. This thing Rangers did(I still don't know what it was, I thought they did some tax dodging but apparently there was some corruption beyond all measure, I wish they talked about it on Football Weekly) is about as notable as the rest of Scottish football.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Hoops posted:

Of sporting corruption? Really?

That's an insane argument, Rangers barely even qualifies as corruption, it was tax evasion and terrible financial management.

[edit]For the record I'm not arguing with the scale of it being A Huge Huge Deal in international football, just that it's not even on the radar in terms of "corruption".

Ok, name me 3 cases in football on par with Rangers decade long financial doping?

I mean, gently caress off anyway because yer being disingenuous, but there you are, with your new terms.

As IF I wasn't talking about football cases, by the way, in a football thread in a football thread.

Actually, name me 3 on par in sports in general (as we'll look at how they were covered, in comparison to Rangers).

Thick bastard.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

jyrka posted:

Unless you were born on the morning of the day Rangers did whatever they did and then died later that night, it's not the biggest sports corruption story of your lifetime.

Check out all the cool match fixing in Italy, Turkey, Greece and most of Eastern Europe for real corruption with people going to jail and receiving lifetime bans from soccer and so on. This thing Rangers did(I still don't know what it was, I thought they did some tax dodging but apparently there was some corruption beyond all measure, I wish they talked about it on Football Weekly) is about as notable as the rest of Scottish football.

Cool, those facts, they reassure me.

Anyway, when you've finished your sporting corruption dissertation, point me in the way of situations where 10+ years of financial doping occurred, thanks!!

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Hoops posted:

Rangers barely even qualifies as corruption, it was tax evasion

This is brutal, btw.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Are you really drunk or something?

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I'm Scotch.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Mickolution posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean on here, I should have been more clear.

I was referring to idiots on Twitter (and seemingly on the comments section on the GU site, not that I've ever read that, just going by what they mention on the pod occasionally) who go on about him and the same people who poo poo their pants whenever there's a stand-in presenter.

Oh right, yeah. You should look at the GU comments sometime, it's infuriating. It's like the weekend web but with good spelling. TRP really is the only decent place to read about football.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
I think Sid is more interesting than Barry, who has been peddling the same schtick since I started listening, and no doubt much longer. I get it, the teams in the bottom half of the table are bad and have no chance against the teams in the top half, and you drink and have no insight whatsoever. Fantastic. His interplay with Jimbo can be funny at times, but Honigstein, Duarte, and Auclair are funny too; Cox and Wilson are vital for their tactical nous; and Bandini, Schaerlaeckens, and Lawrence (if something is going on at Arsenal) have tons more credibility.

But in the end, I guess its just Jimbo's show. With him it's good, without him I would only listen to the brilliant Men in Blazers podcast on Grantland.

Durchfall
Oct 26, 2006

oontsoontsoonts
The whole SPL could collapse and disappear and I still couldn't give a gently caress if it wasn't mentioned on the pod.. or anywhere else for that matter. Nobody gives a poo poo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hamza posted:

You don't know many PhDs, do you?

Maybe they're just all jerks.

:(

edit: No but seriously, I don't think any of them do either so there you go. I guess I've just never had a 'Sid problem' like some people, and I get how he could drive you nuts if he wasn't your cup of tea.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 2, 2012

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

ICA posted:

I'm Scotch.

Does this mean you have drunk so much alcohol you have actually become mostly whisky?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Von Linus posted:

The puns seem more inscrutable this year, too.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
My favourite ever intro pun was from a few seasons ago when Fulham kept making remarkable comebacks in the Europa League:

"Roy Hodgson's come-from-behind cottagers pull off another big one in Europe" lol

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

There was a similar one where he said it was the "biggest cottagers comeback since George Michael"

I think my favourite was one weekend when England lost in football/cricket/rugby and he said something about them "tasting defeat more than a man eating a centipede." There was also one about a man eating a duvet, but I can't remember it. Some pun on the word "down", I think.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I can't even remember what game it was but somebody won "8 nothing" and that was "like an entry in Posh Spice's diary", that was good.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Hoops posted:

I can't even remember what game it was but somebody won "8 nothing" and that was "like an entry in Posh Spice's diary", that was good.

Liverpool - Besiktas. Well I knew it was Liverpool something, had to look up who they played.

Some more excellent quotes from Jimbo:
- The biggest title decider since Danny Shittu started writing his autobiography
- Stephen Ireland, a man who’s had more stiff nans than a dodgy indian restaurant
- Jimmy Bullard, like a bottle of poppers, will be trying to keep the Cottagers up
- The England team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today, “its heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope.” said Jamal, age 6.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sweek0 posted:

- The England team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today, “its heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope.” said Jamal, age 6.

Oh, Jimbo. Does he do anything else available in the US? Because I want to see/hear/read it.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Mandalay posted:

Oh, Jimbo. Does he do anything else available in the US? Because I want to see/hear/read it.

I believe he commentates some Serie A

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mandalay posted:

I haven't watched any of them, but here's a youtube playlist of clips from Gazzetta Football Italia, a show he used to do in the 90s for Channel 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

sweek0 posted:

That's one of my favourites. Think I might have to give them another chance.