Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PiotrLegnica posted:

Ysengrin and Coyote did cross the bridge, though. I think Jeanne only stops things from crossing directly at the river level.

Ah, but they had been welcomed via sky symbols and stuff. Ysengrin's visite, if he's pursuing them into the Court, will be unheralded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Why does everyone think he's launching himself instead of just growing very tall? He's still visible as the head of the tree in the third and fourth panels. I'd be way more worried about an eighty foot tall tree-wolf than an airborne wolf.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

Why does everyone think he's launching himself instead of just growing very tall? He's still visible as the head of the tree in the third and fourth panels. I'd be way more worried about an eighty foot tall tree-wolf than an airborne wolf.

Yeah, not sure where people are getting jumping from.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

I'm not seeing his head in the fourth panel. I'm seeing the tip of a tree. Am I missing something?

I mean, there's this tiny dash of white, which I guess if you look at it the right way kinda-sorta looks like it can be the white of Ysengrin's muzzle. But that just seems like a wrong interpretation. Of course, I fully cop to being absolutely terrible at ever guessing this comic's direction. The creator is really good at reasonable yet unseen twists and misdirection.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

VictorGrunn posted:

I'm not seeing his head in the fourth panel. I'm seeing the tip of a tree. Am I missing something?

I mean, there's this tiny dash of white, which I guess if you look at it the right way kinda-sorta looks like it can be the white of Ysengrin's muzzle. But that just seems like a wrong interpretation. Of course, I fully cop to being absolutely terrible at ever guessing this comic's direction. The creator is really good at reasonable yet unseen twists and misdirection.

The question here is what would be the point of not showing Ysengrin in jump if he had actually done so

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

pandaK posted:

The question here is what would be the point of not showing Ysengrin in jump if he had actually done so

I'd say "I think it's implied", but my track record for figuring out what's being implied in this comic is pretty bad.

It explains why the tree is rapidly growing and suddenly Ysengrin isn't on it anymore, and why Annie looks spooked. But, we'll see Wednesday.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

VictorGrunn posted:

It explains why the tree is rapidly growing and suddenly Ysengrin isn't on it anymore,

He's still in the tree though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

VictorGrunn posted:

It explains why the tree is rapidly growing and suddenly Ysengrin isn't on it anymore, and why Annie looks spooked. But, we'll see Wednesday.

Also eighty foot tree chase isn't enough to spook Annie?

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
Right, I'm saying that does not look like Ysengrin's head to me. If it is, I think that's a fair thing to call "pretty easy to miss".

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's a white muzzle on that dog shaped tip.

Are you confusing Ysen with someone else?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Parts Kit posted:

So he's going to get hit by an airplane? :ohdear:

He's going to get hit by Kat. Or bird-boy whose name I forget.

Alternatively, he's going to almost get there and remember gravity, before toppling over and making a new bridge to the court.

Or, you know, something dramatic and well-written, knowing that Tom guy, always spoiling my fun.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

VictorGrunn posted:

Right, I'm saying that does not look like Ysengrin's head to me. If it is, I think that's a fair thing to call "pretty easy to miss".

Can't really make it any clearer, if it's still not obvious I don't know what to say!

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Niton posted:

Can't really make it any clearer, if it's still not obvious I don't know what to say!

Panel 3? Yes, I'm not freaking blind over here, and I've said that clearly his head is there. Panel 4? Sorry, no, that does not right away look to me like Ysengrin's head to me. It looks like he's just plain not there anymore. Not unless we assume Ysengrin's head suddenly became made of wood, except for the muzzle, and even then only just part of it.

I could be wrong, but like I said, I think at that point it's reasonable to mistake him for being gone. Maybe the next update will show otherwise and put it in better context, but if you stood panel 4 on its own and I said 'find Ysengrin', you'd say "What? He's not in that shot."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

VictorGrunn posted:

Panel 3? Yes, I'm not freaking blind over here, and I've said that clearly his head is there. Panel 4? Sorry, no, that does not right away look to me like Ysengrin's head to me. It looks like he's just plain not there anymore. Not unless we assume Ysengrin's head suddenly became made of wood, except for the muzzle, and even then only just part of it.

I could be wrong, but like I said, I think at that point it's reasonable to mistake him for being gone. Maybe the next update will show otherwise and put it in better context, but if you stood panel 4 on its own and I said 'find Ysengrin', you'd say "What? He's not in that shot."

You can see his head, arm and right torso in exactly the same position as in panel 3. So, yeah, pretty sure you are wrong.

Fuckin' terrifying gardening skills.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yeah, he isn't launching himself out , he's just growing a huge tree spear to lift himself higher and higher. Like has been said, you can still see his head and such in the second to last panel, firmly connected to the wood spire, and you can make out the shape of his shoulder and arm, before they reconnect to the main body of the tree It's kinda like a waterbender lifting themselves up, which I'd post a scene of to illustrate my point but I guess Avatar clips are a no no on youtube now or something.

vvv
It's not like we haven't seen him create wood before. When he first arrived he grew a huge woden-clawblade thing and made his arm go all stretchy. And that was in the middle of the Court where the only wood he had was what he brought with him. Here he's surrounded by the entire Forest

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 4, 2012

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

:frogc00l:
I'm wondering, can he create wood out of thin air, or is he remodelling the forest into one giant tree? :haw:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Ah, but they had been welcomed via sky symbols and stuff. Ysengrin's visite, if he's pursuing them into the Court, will be unheralded.

Jeanne doesn't care about welcome vs unwelcome, though. She just kills. The bridge seems to just be a way to avoid her.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

MikeJF posted:

Jeanne doesn't care about welcome vs unwelcome, though. She just kills. The bridge seems to just be a way to avoid her.

Yeah given all the stuff that's gone traipsing across that bridge without permission and how they have to send Eglamore hustling out to deal with forest invaders she's just there to make sure nobody sneaks in through the backdoor.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

VictorGrunn posted:

I think you're seeing it wrong, cause yeah his head is definitely there, plus a pectoral muscle and part of his arm that's kinda getting subsumed into the trunk.

The repetition and arrangement of the panels, plus the way the leaves are flying off the tree in the penultimate panel seem to suggest he's still moving, too. Pretty sure he's just chasing them at this point.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Haledjian posted:

I think you're seeing it wrong, cause yeah his head is definitely there, plus a pectoral muscle and part of his arm that's kinda getting subsumed into the trunk.

The repetition and arrangement of the panels, plus the way the leaves are flying off the tree in the penultimate panel seem to suggest he's still moving, too. Pretty sure he's just chasing them at this point.

I can absolutely see where people are seeing the head in 4. All I've said is that it's not blindingly obvious - the best clue is that tiny tuft of white, which is easy to write off as a highlight or miss altogether.

I certainly don't see a torso or even a pectoral muscle or anything in there in 4. If you're talking about 3, sure, but it's not like I thought panel 3 was a tree. As I said, I'm not completely blind over here.

If 4 had not only that tuft of white, but the different shade of brown near it, I'd have picked up on it faster.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

VictorGrunn posted:

I can absolutely see where people are seeing the head in 4. All I've said is that it's not blindingly obvious - the best clue is that tiny tuft of white, which is easy to write off as a highlight or miss altogether.

I certainly don't see a torso or even a pectoral muscle or anything in there in 4. If you're talking about 3, sure, but it's not like I thought panel 3 was a tree. As I said, I'm not completely blind over here.

drat your eyes! Look what you made me do.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Haledjian posted:

drat your eyes! Look what you made me do.

I appreciate the effort you put into that, but I'm going to say it one more time: I'm not denying that's Ysengrin's head. Seems likely, in fact. I'm saying that this is not 'how could you ever not see this?' obvious when just looking at the comic. That's all. To me, at a glance, it looks just like a treetip. With explanation and context - or hell, if I just looked closely for longer, at panels 3 and 4 - I can see how that's Ysengrin.

I mean, notice you had to blow that image the hell up to do the detail work you did. Because otherwise it's a tiny thing that's not super-hard to misconstrue or overlook.

I feel half-tempted to bring out that duck/rabbit picture in my defense here, but nah. :colbert:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

VictorGrunn posted:

I appreciate the effort you put into that, but I'm going to say it one more time: I'm not denying that's Ysengrin's head. Seems likely, in fact. I'm saying that this is not 'how could you ever not see this?' obvious when just looking at the comic. That's all. To me, at a glance, it looks just like a treetip. With explanation and context - or hell, if I just looked closely for longer, at panels 3 and 4 - I can see how that's Ysengrin.

I mean, notice you had to blow that image the hell up to do the detail work you did. Because otherwise it's a tiny thing that's not super-hard to misconstrue or overlook.

I feel half-tempted to bring out that duck/rabbit picture in my defense here, but nah. :colbert:

This is a dumb discussion and it should end now, but gently caress, you were the ONLY one that didn't notice that here, I think.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
Nah, I'm not gonna keep belaboring that point. It's minor poo poo either way, and it's not a criticism of the comic.

That said, has there ever been a chapter that really showed what Eglamore is actually capable of doing in a fight? I remember some real, real brief dustups in the past, but now I'm curious of exactly how capable Eglamore's been depicted as being in a fight.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, he impaled Robot with a thrown aether-sword, he fenced Jones and got soundly beaten, he presumably beat Reynardine when he was a dragon. Hmm... Pretty sure there's a couple more examples, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It was also implied before the Jones fencing that he fights a lot better outdoors and at long range.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Which is sort of wierd coming from a muscly sword dude.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Which is sort of wierd coming from a muscly sword dude.

Maybe he jumps a lot as part of however he fights, like a dragoon in a final fantasy game. Dude does seem to have a decent jump.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Dias posted:

This is a dumb discussion and it should end now, but gently caress, you were the ONLY one that didn't notice that here, I think.

I didn't notice it, so he's not the only one.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, but I figure that they meant that he has better long range options than Jones. I imagine he's more comfortable with being dangerous up close against other opponents, it's just that she's so much better than him at close range that it doesn't matter.

:goonsay:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder if we'll ever see actual battles in GC or if it's going to continue much the same way it has been.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Yeah I interpreted the better at a range thing as just being that Jones is such an incredible badass at close range that he doesn't stand a chance against her, and so he'd need to be able to employ long range options to actually hold his own. Doesn't mean he's better at long range, he's still a big muscly sword dude who brawls, but he's outclassed in close quarters with someone who can impart enough kinetic force to knock down a wall while at walking speed.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Brannock posted:

I wonder if we'll ever see actual battles in GC or if it's going to continue much the same way it has been.

Does today's page count as a battle?

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

pik_d posted:

Does today's page count as a battle?

Annie used Flash! It was effective!

Coyote recalled Ysengrin to his pokeball!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Case closed, I guess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jim jims, stop getting cheek to cheek with the students. :mad:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

Jim jims, stop getting cheek to cheek with the students. :mad:

Hey now, he can't really help it. She's crawling all over him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What if he just wanted to catch up to say sorry? :(

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Deploy flares!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME