Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Nothing nicer than getting to the end fight on Dark mode, only to have my potion toxicity glitch out and not give me all my bonuses. With 12+ minutes left on all my potions. I am not a patient man!

Still though, lots of cool new stuff since I last played through at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there a video card anyone can recommend that would run the witcher 2 well thats around $100?

A friend of mine wants me to buy is 2007 8800GT 512mb but I'm thinking its better to just get a newer card, but right now i cannot afford too much.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a video card anyone can recommend that would run the witcher 2 well thats around $100?

A friend of mine wants me to buy is 2007 8800GT 512mb but I'm thinking its better to just get a newer card, but right now i cannot afford too much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127605

God drat it right link this time

Hell, spend an extra $30 and get this instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127691

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 22, 2012

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nice. Though does newegg ship to Canada?

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Only through their Canadian branch, I think.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Canadians should probably try www.ncix.com for our fix of reasonably priced cpu parts.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

twistedmentat posted:

Your friend wants to rip you off (if he wants to sell it for 100$ that is) :ohdear:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

twistedmentat posted:

Nice. Though does newegg ship to Canada?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127691 :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Awesome thanks, and I'll check out ncix's price for it. I've always had good luck getting stuff from them.

Anyways, I only played the game for a few hours but i'm curious, how different is the game if you managed to save Adda? It seems like if you managed to do it, the king would not have succession on his mind. I'm going to have to digup a witcher 1 save that has Adda alive to see it.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Not really much of a difference. I think it works out to a throwaway line or two. He's still concerned about the succession because if you save Adda she gets married off to King Radovid of Redania, and Foltest would rather not have Temeria go to him or his descendants.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Not really much of a difference. I think it works out to a throwaway line or two. He's still concerned about the succession because if you save Adda she gets married off to King Radovid of Redania, and Foltest would rather not have Temeria go to him or his descendants.

Ah, I am not sad about killing her now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I was definitely not sad about killing her. Save you again after you tried to off me? Uh-uh, don't care how much your dad's offering. :colbert:

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

He's around the corner in a little shelter against the wall, it's easy to miss because the map has a couple of other shops very close by.

The mistake I was making was that I was looking for him during nighttime. And I ended up getting what I needed elsewhere anyway.

Also, I think this is the most looking game I've played on my PC as of yet. It's looks stunningly more gorgeous than its predecessor.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
So I went back a few saves and started the quest over. Same thing happened; Shani does not have the dialogue line about the autopsy. She said to come over to her house at night and talk to her about it, so when I come to her house at night she doesn't talk about it. What's going on?

EDIT: This is TW1:EE if anyone is wondering.

Raneman fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 23, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a place to get witcher save files for witcher 2? I loved the first game and played through it twice but gently caress me if I'm going to play a 20-30 hour game just to get a few different options in the second one. SWAMP! :argh:

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009
There's a good pack of TW1 saves here. The readme tells you where to put 'em. As far as I'm aware, all the relevant choices and combinations have their own corresponding save file. Used it for my last few games and it worked great.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Most of the differences are fairly minor bits of dialogue though, right? It seems like the only thing that provides a real noticeable difference to the default game is if you use a save where you sided with the Order in Chapter 4.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Lycus posted:

Most of the differences are fairly minor bits of dialogue though, right? It seems like the only thing that provides a real noticeable difference to the default game is if you use a save where you sided with the Order in Chapter 4.

This is the only thing I was disappointed with. I can certainly understand why they, like Bioware, don't make the predecessor tie heavily in to the current game in the series. But considering choices and branching paths are such a big part of both games it's still a shame more of that stuff didn't carry over.

I may have confused what I wanted to hear with what they actually said but didn't the devs say before release there were going to be different starting points in 2 depending on the ending of 1?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lycus posted:

I was definitely not sad about killing her. Save you again after you tried to off me? Uh-uh, don't care how much your dad's offering. :colbert:

Yea, but you totally got to plow her.

Actually, i'm disappointed that I chose Shani in W1, but i'm back with Triss in W2.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, but you totally got to plow her.

Actually, i'm disappointed that I chose Shani in W1, but i'm back with Triss in W2.

This did bother me too, especially since they made such a big point in W1 of showing that Triss is actively lying to you/manipulating you and you can't call her out on it. I made the decision then to back Shani in regards to Alvin, and it was a bit disappointing to start Witcher 2 and find Geralt back with Triss and still have no way to question her about what you caught her doing in the original game. Especially when (later Witcher 2 spoilers) she is accused of being involved in the Sorceresses' plot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Playing an Alchemist-spec for the first time and I just realized that Taster isn't quite as useful as I thought it was going to be. Due to the high toxicity of the advanced potions, you can't ever drink more than two or three of them at a time anyway. The only way you would ever drink four potions is if you take the ol' trio of Swallow/Rook/Tawny Owl and throw in an okay potion like Golden Oriole or Wolf. Oh well.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Lycus posted:

Playing an Alchemist-spec for the first time and I just realized that Taster isn't quite as useful as I thought it was going to be. Due to the high toxicity of the advanced potions, you can't ever drink more than two or three of them at a time anyway. The only way you would ever drink four potions is if you take the ol' trio of Swallow/Rook/Tawny Owl and throw in an okay potion like Golden Oriole or Wolf. Oh well.

Alchemist is definitely a very awesome build especially later on in the game. All the potions stack and get you some amazing buffs. To take out the (spoiler Act 3)the operatory, it took about 2-3 heavy hits. Previously when I was doing a mix of swordmastery/magic, it took me about 8-9 hits.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

GoldenNugget posted:

Alchemist is definitely a very awesome build especially later on in the game. All the potions stack and get you some amazing buffs. To take out the (spoiler Act 3)the operatory, it took about 2-3 heavy hits. Previously when I was doing a mix of swordmastery/magic, it took me about 8-9 hits.
You can do better then 2-3 hits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My friend with the 8800 decided just to give it to me, and W2 runs a hell of a lot better now. no waiting a full minute for textures to load.

I'm trying to get the carry weight to work, but adding it just makes Geralts carry weight become 0.

<max_weight mult="false" always_random="false" min="500" max="500"/>

This is what i added to the file.

EDIT: Found out what I did wrong, but now the character, inventory and journal screens are blank.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 27, 2012

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
It turns out that golems CAN fit through doorways and climb narrow staircases. And I also discovered that the golems can juggle Geralt in narrow stairwells, a slow and frustrating death. The group of golems in the Arena can team up to juggle Geralt without the stairwell, 3 golems or (2 golems + a wall) seems to be the magic the numbers there. Why all these golems decided to slowly kill me with non-stop earthquakes is something I don't understand, they didn't feel like ever taking the opportunity to crush me as I stumbled about; death by endless earthquake. Guess they didn't want to risk me recovering enough to roll or Quen to safety.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Picked this up on sale awhile ago and only recently got a pc good enough to play it. Only in the first act so far but the game's so pretty and the difficulty is so nice. Quite a few of the fights I stumble across I'll have to run away from and rethink my approach. What bombs or traps I can use, what signs might be useful and when, etc. Like, I was getting owned by huge rear end groups of nekkers until I remembered that I could use axii to give myself enough breathing room to actually start killing them.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I've been playing this game the past couple weeks and have Steam saves active, but I've got a new SSD on the way and am trying to get everything backed up before I wipe and reinstall everything this weekend. I dug around a bit last night but couldn't seem to find anything - are my Witcher 2 saves located anywhere on my drive, or are they *all* in the Steam cloud?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Space Racist posted:

I've been playing this game the past couple weeks and have Steam saves active, but I've got a new SSD on the way and am trying to get everything backed up before I wipe and reinstall everything this weekend. I dug around a bit last night but couldn't seem to find anything - are my Witcher 2 saves located anywhere on my drive, or are they *all* in the Steam cloud?

Try looking here: C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

PureRok posted:

Try looking here: C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves

Yeah, I looked there, the folder's empty, which I'm guessing means all my saves are on the cloud?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Space Racist posted:

Yeah, I looked there, the folder's empty, which I'm guessing means all my saves are on the cloud?
Check Steam/userdata/{number}/20920/remote

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Coughing Hobo posted:

Check Steam/userdata/{number}/20920/remote

That worked, thanks.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Just getting into Chapter 3 for the first time and noticed this thread...

Then noticed this in the OP:
Also in Act 1, it is vital you visit the Blue Stripes house in Flotsam (it's next to the inn, just west of it) and talk to Ves to start an important quest that can have far-reaching consequences to be felt for the rest of the game. No spoiler tags here, just trust me. You'll thank me when it happens.

Is there a quest name for this I can look up on the wiki to find out what I missed out on?

I've sided with the Scoiatel Squirrels this time, not sure if I'll go straight into a 2nd playthrough or not to see whatever I've missed.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

VodeAndreas posted:

Just getting into Chapter 3 for the first time and noticed this thread...

Then noticed this in the OP:
Also in Act 1, it is vital you visit the Blue Stripes house in Flotsam (it's next to the inn, just west of it) and talk to Ves to start an important quest that can have far-reaching consequences to be felt for the rest of the game. No spoiler tags here, just trust me. You'll thank me when it happens.

Is there a quest name for this I can look up on the wiki to find out what I missed out on?

I've sided with the Scoiatel Squirrels this time, not sure if I'll go straight into a 2nd playthrough or not to see whatever I've missed.

You're no witcher.

In truth, it's one of the funniest sidequests in the game that results in you getting a stupid tattoo.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I've been playing the game casually, on hard. Enjoying what I've seen. I'm sort of stuck on the "make the mongoose potion" part. I just retrieved the key ingredient (ostmurk goo) but have no idea what to do next. Help!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Opus125 posted:

So I've been playing the game casually, on hard. Enjoying what I've seen. I'm sort of stuck on the "make the mongoose potion" part. I just retrieved the key ingredient (ostmurk goo) but have no idea what to do next. Help!

Assuming you have all the ingredients you need to mediate for making the final potion.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yea, I don't think I have all the ingredients. Where can I get them?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The remaining ingredients are fairly common. If you've been totally ignoring gathering ingredients from the world you should be able to find them at merchants.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Check the herbalist in Flotsam, the witch herbalist in Lobinden, and Cedric. Between the three of them, they should sell all of the ingredients.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
:siren: CDPR are accepting applications for the beta of REDkit! :siren:

If you're a modder, get in on this jazz. Be warned, the application does require you to give links to mods you've worked on. You have until the end of September to apply.

APPLY NOW DO IT FOR ME WE'RE FRIENDS RIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I beat this game on my 360 a couple days ago, and thinking about it one of the things I really liked about it were the choices it gave you. In the Bioware games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, the choices clearly divide between Good/Evil and it's pretty clear you know what you're choosing is best for whatever way you decided to play the game.

But in Witcher 2, I like how the choices are often ambiguous in that moral divide and there's not the "right" choice to make. A few weeks ago I played through The Walking Dead's 3 episodes currently out and really enjoyed how the choices were "this lovely option" or "that lovely option," instead of the clear good and evil min/maxing so many RPGs or games where these questions come up. I will be playing this game again sooner than later to see how different it is making other choices, at least the Roche/Iorveth one.

In any kind of melee combat game, I think most should just copy the Batman Arkham games for the appealing fluidity of combat, but I liked how the Witcher's seemingly simple combat from my initial outlook changed as I got into it (and got killed a lot :) ). I liked how strategic it was, choosing when to go in and strike, and who to strike, how accurate " You're almost always outnumbered, but never outmatched. " from the OP is. By the end of the game in Loc Muinne, fighting a big group of soldiers was thrilling as I danced in and out and through them leaving a trail of dead in my wake. Except golems and gargoyles gave me trouble :argh:

Just a really, really good game. Looking forward to whenever the next one gets made.

• Locked thread