Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
Not that I particularly care to work in OB or Peds, but you guys are being extremely goony. Just slightly shy of "crotch spawn" and "breeders."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CardiacEnzymes
Mar 27, 2010

Lava Lamp posted:

you guys are being extremely goony.

Seriously- there's nothing more pathetic than that "my specialty is way more important then your specialty" attitude.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

CardiacEnzymes posted:

Seriously- there's nothing more pathetic than that "my specialty is way more important then your specialty" attitude.

I just don't like OB. I'm glad there are people who do. Chillax.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
I tell my patients about the cutting edge colonoscopy screening that Mayo has started doing, giving 4 bisocodyl and doing a CT, that eliminates 88% of actual colonscopies; as I'm shaking their gallon of Miralax.

Goonery comes in many varieties.

Reference

CardiacEnzymes
Mar 27, 2010

Roki B posted:

I just don't like OB. I'm glad there are people who do. Chillax.

No reason for you guys to post catty things then- take your own advice.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

CardiacEnzymes posted:

No reason for you guys to post catty things then- take your own advice.

Hey, if you like OB now's a great time to post a good run down about why its awesome, the challenges of getting into it and the kind of nurse it takes to do it. I'll try to stop complaining about it, I know a lot of people are into it and I just wasn't on a really big level. Anyway, nursing students and those getting into OB pay attention.

If you want to get into OB you should know: Lots of bodily fluids. Lots of chux. A little human comes out of a bigger human, but the uterus is a weird organ that requires some knowledge about the cardiovascular system. Postpartum hemorrhage is usually caused by incomplete contraction of the uterus after birth which allows local capillary beds to bleed. Normal postpartum uteruses (uteri?) will contract with muscular force due to endogenous pitosin levels which cause uterine contraction and then occlude capillary beds preventing hemorrhage. The location where the placenta was implanted is at the highest risk because once its separated from the uterus proper, the capillary beds between the two that used to be high-flow transfer for mother-fetus blood supply are now open to environment. This is the same reason why abruptio placentae is an emergent finding. Hemorrhage with a fetus still in utero explicitly implies fetal blood insufficiency. Emergent c-section is indicated in these situations, usually observed as hemorrhage from the vaginal canal without actual birth. Bloody as gently caress vaginas without babies are bad mmmkay.

Post-partum women can have the same issue but without fetal risk if their uterus (now known as a fundus because its semi-distended but no longer containing a fetus) doesn't contract down to occlude capillary beds. Greater than 500ml blood loss postpartum is considered an adverse finding and needs to be reported after 'massaging the fundus'. Mashing your fists into new-mom's belly to induce the uterus into contraction to occlude capillary beds. Failing that, immediate surgical intervention is indicated. Mom is gonna die if you don't call the doc and be like

If you love babies, moms, birth, and occasionally complex emergent situations where the life of one or more humans is in peril, OB is for you. Or if you're into alternative birth schemes get educated and be prepared to tell mom to go to the hospital/call 911 if it starts to go sideways.

There is also hosed up poo poo like BABY IS ALL WONKY AND WON'T COME OUT IN THIS ORENTATION TIME FOR A C-SECTION YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA and thats pretty cool to help with and/or watch. You've got to be on your game to know when its time to call the doc and say "this dumb human ain't comin' out, CUT IT OUT." and be right about it.

If you're in a high quality birth center you'll be able to watch uterine contractions on a tele monitor that also monitors fetal heart tones. Once you get it all set up you can watch the dynamic between uterine contractions and fetal heart tones. Fetal heart rate should respond in a particular way to contraction, and if it doesn't you get a good idea of what intervention to do next, or alternatively how to titrate your pitosin.

Its not for everyone, but you can get yourself a big ole' bonding experience with the family and the mom at the same time as monitoring a complex physiological process that has the potential to kill one or both members involved.

So kudos to you, OB nurses.

CardiacEnzymes
Mar 27, 2010

Roki B posted:

Hey, if you like OB now's a great time to post a good run down about why its awesome, the challenges of getting into it and the kind of nurse it takes to do it. I'll try to stop complaining about it, I know a lot of people are into it and I just wasn't on a really big level. Anyway, nursing students and those getting into OB pay attention.

That was a great post, thanks. I just feel like negative stereotypes about nurses get reinforced when people act superior/hostile about paths other than the one they chose. Best thing about nursing is the huge spectrum of ways you can go with your career!
I got burnt out on cardio after a few years because I felt like a pill monkey with no time to stop and talk to or educate my patients. People told me I'd get bored in OB because "ewww all you do is palpate funduses!" I could shoot right back that they spend an inordinate amount of time handling edematous scrotums for my taste but why nitpick? The only diapers I handle are smaller than my hand now!

I do high risk OB in an area where our moms are usually 32 y/o + with fertility treatments, hypertension, DM, etc. We are separate from L&D, but will float there when staffing fluctuates. On postpartum We call stroke codes, catch sepsis, PP hemorrhages, and more. My Med-surge background comes into play a lot and I still get the rush of a successful rapid response. But my fav thing is the amount of teaching I get to do now. First time moms who are insanely hormonal, sleep deprived, and taking narcs need lots of reinforcement and support. Breastfeeding teaching can be stressful and monotonous, but when you get to the point where its all starting to click its very rewarding to me.

But yea, bodily fluids everywhere- can't count the number of times I've been peed on while prepping a circumcision. The other day I found myself standing in a bathroom that looked like a set from Dexter reassuring a woman who lost some bladder control that "this happens all the time, no worries!" On the up side I have not had a contact precaution patient in more than a year, yay!

Also- I'll feel stupid if this has already been posted recently, but I love it: http://whatshouldwecallnursing.tumblr.com/

CardiacEnzymes fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 5, 2012

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

Roki B posted:

ob stuff

You remind me of every L&D/OB nurse I worked with, knowledgable but with a great sense of humor.

I was surprised at how much I liked L&D, considering I'm not a kid person and plan on not having any. Post partum was the worst though - with 3 couplets and everyone having mommy brain about breastfeeding ("How do I do the hamburger again?") I literally did not sit down for EIGHT hours. I didn't even have that happen on the post CABG floor!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Does anyone know of an app/resource they could recommend on learning commonly used Spanish phrases while doing physicals? I've been assigned to a network clinic this semester where the general demographic is a Hispanic population.

Xepherra
Apr 4, 2008

It burst into flames! It burst into flames, and it's falling, it's crashing!
My apologies if this has already been posed in this thread; I didn't really have the energy to scan the whole thing looking for answers.

My deal is that I'm a 4.0 community college student that originally signed up for the nursing program here. However, the job market for ADNs is terrible, as most of you know. This, in addition to some personal concerns about the program, has me pretty much set on transferring out into a BSN program.

My question to you: When it comes time to apply for grad school, does the university from which you earned your BSN matter as much as how well you did in clinicals wherever you were?

Bonus info that may be relevant: I intend to earn my degree in the NYC-metro area (NYU is my "brand name" choice and closest option, William Paterson is my "not breaking the bank" choice, and Rutgers is dumb because they won't take transfer students), and then move to Northeast Ohio (Cleveland area) with my fiance. I intend to pursue graduate studies (be it FNP or CRNA or whatever I decide after I get some experience) in the Cleveland area.

TL;DR: I'm dead set on grad school, need to know if coming from a "brand name" university for my BSN matters at all before I bother with NYU.

Joellypie
Mar 13, 2006

Xepherra posted:

TL;DR: I'm dead set on grad school, need to know if coming from a "brand name" university for my BSN matters at all before I bother with NYU.

I keep hearing different things on this. I originally went to a CC for my ADN and I am now getting my BSN through Christian Brothers (a private school in TN). I heard from a few people that going to CBU would look better on my resume then University of Memphis when I apply to Vanderbilt for my FNP/DNP program. I've also had a few people tell me it wouldn't matter as long as my GRE and GPA were high. I still went with the private school and hope to do really well on my GRE and keep my GPA up.

On a side note, don't expect to keep your 4.0 while in nursing school. If you do, that is awesome, but I don't know many that have (ok I know none).

Xepherra
Apr 4, 2008

It burst into flames! It burst into flames, and it's falling, it's crashing!

Joellypie posted:

On a side note, don't expect to keep your 4.0 while in nursing school. If you do, that is awesome, but I don't know many that have (ok I know none).

Thanks for the different perspective on it. The lack of consensus leads me to believe that other factors matter more than the "brand name" thing. As for my GPA: I don't expect it to stay at 4.0 when it comes to nursing courses. The prerequisites I am taking have come very easily to me so far (a good sign, I suppose!) but I anticipate a challenge with nursing core courses.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
Next semester I start my first practicums- One focused on mental health and one more general, 5 hours a day 3 days a week. Any tips for someone going into this?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

dissin department posted:

Next semester I start my first practicums- One focused on mental health and one more general, 5 hours a day 3 days a week. Any tips for someone going into this?

For mental health, I think the biggest thing is that students who have never been exposed to mental illness tend to really play it up and get very nervous. You don't have to be afraid of the psych unit, they are people too.

Also, no matter where you end up for your job, you're going to deal with mentally ill people, so use this time as a really good experience for learning how to interact with someone who is very mentally sick, how to set appropriate boundaries, how to communicate, etc, because mentally ill people get physically sick too.

When you're actually on the psych unit, it's very important to always be aware of your surroundings, but that doesn't mean you constantly need to be ON GUARD, if that makes sense. If you act nervous, if you're always looking over your shoulder, if you're acting weird, patients will pick up on it. How they react to that depends entirely on their diagnosis (you could really trigger a paranoid schizophrenic, or if there's a troublemaker they could try to play you, for example).

Be relaxed, treat these patients like you would treat a patient on a med/surg floor, and you'll be fine. Just know that keeping boundaries is important, and make sure you know and follow all the rules on the unit (like if they only do requests at the top of the hour, or if they only allow snacks at a certain time, etc).

When I started nursing school I really wanted to do OB. After I graduated, I found that I actually hated OB and really loved psych. Keep an open mind, and who knows, you could really and up loving it too.

As for the more general one, I guess, get used to 5 hours a day, 3 days a week. When you graduate, you could be working 8.5 hours a day, 5 days a week.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

I was really nervous about my psych clinicals. Most of that was other people's nerves projecting on to me. once I got there, it was not that bad. We did not do anything mostly just observed.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
Hey, so I'm officially a student nurse now :)

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

Tufty posted:

Hey, so I'm officially a student nurse now :)

Congrats! but go ahead and kiss your social life good bye!

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Congrats! but go ahead and kiss your social life good bye!

the only thing i miss spending time with is my bed ):

quote:

For mental health, I think the biggest thing is that students who have never been exposed to mental illness tend to really play it up and get very nervous. You don't have to be afraid of the psych unit, they are people too.

Also, no matter where you end up for your job, you're going to deal with mentally ill people, so use this time as a really good experience for learning how to interact with someone who is very mentally sick, how to set appropriate boundaries, how to communicate, etc, because mentally ill people get physically sick too.

When you're actually on the psych unit, it's very important to always be aware of your surroundings, but that doesn't mean you constantly need to be ON GUARD, if that makes sense. If you act nervous, if you're always looking over your shoulder, if you're acting weird, patients will pick up on it. How they react to that depends entirely on their diagnosis (you could really trigger a paranoid schizophrenic, or if there's a troublemaker they could try to play you, for example).

Be relaxed, treat these patients like you would treat a patient on a med/surg floor, and you'll be fine. Just know that keeping boundaries is important, and make sure you know and follow all the rules on the unit (like if they only do requests at the top of the hour, or if they only allow snacks at a certain time, etc).

When I started nursing school I really wanted to do OB. After I graduated, I found that I actually hated OB and really loved psych. Keep an open mind, and who knows, you could really and up loving it too.

As for the more general one, I guess, get used to 5 hours a day, 3 days a week. When you graduate, you could be working 8.5 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Solid advice, thanks. And the 5 hours a day 3 days a week is between both of them. There's classes too, of course.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

the only thing i miss spending time with is my bed ):
Yeah, go ahead and kiss any kind of sleep routine goodbye as well!

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I don't get this fear of psych clinicals that a lot of student nurses seem to have. It's probably because I've worked as an aide for a couple years now but they're not all hiding shanks ready to slice your neck open and suck your thyroid out or poo poo like that.

And yeah, don't think that you'll avoid the mentally ill by just not working on a psych unit. Chill out, get used to it. I work in a CCU and get plenty of psych patients all the time: Schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, suicide attempts, drug addicts, alcohol w/ds....Speaking of the alcohol withdrawal people, they are probably the "scariest" psych patients IMO.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

roboshit posted:

I don't get this fear of psych clinicals that a lot of student nurses seem to have. It's probably because I've worked as an aide for a couple years now but they're not all hiding shanks ready to slice your neck open and suck your thyroid out or poo poo like that.

And yeah, don't think that you'll avoid the mentally ill by just not working on a psych unit. Chill out, get used to it. I work in a CCU and get plenty of psych patients all the time: Schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, suicide attempts, drug addicts, alcohol w/ds....Speaking of the alcohol withdrawal people, they are probably the "scariest" psych patients IMO.

I think a lot of it is instructor's hype before you go into clinicals (at least for us it was). Our instructors were always telling us to be careful, never let someone get between you and the door, don't wear your hair loose/ loose ponytail, warning you of you of the codes that may be called (fights, some one trying to get out, ect), pts that will manipulate you.

I know they are just preparing you but until you are there, you are imagining the worst thing you have seen in a movie. Unless you have been a tech/aid, you have never encountered a psych patient on the med surg floor. The do not assign you to those patients.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Mental health is where I got my most interesting stories. I was on forensics - treatment for our region. All the patients were there because they were found not guilty of a crime for reasons of mental incapacity / insanity / etc. Having said that most of the charges were for things like breaking and entering or trespassing.
Our first day there our instructor said "You could sit down with every patient, every shift and conduct a MMSE and thorough health assessment interview. Or you can be smart about it, and just integrate it with activities, and you'll receive the same mark."
I played billiards, each shift, with a patient and learned much more about the human experience of a mental illness than any textbook.
Also my first patient at that unit had attempted to murder his family. More on that later, maybe.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations on apps / programs / books / etc on learning nursing style questions (NCLEX I guess?)? Had my first exam last week and I was pretty devastated with my grade since I'm normally an "A" student.

It just seemed that all the questions had two right answers but I had to pick the "right" one based on the context.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Etrips posted:

It just seemed that all the questions had two right answers but I had to pick the "right" one based on the context.

Welcome to nursing school. For your own sake, learn to embrace them as well as SATAs.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Yay I get to join this thread officially now!
I'm doing OK so far. Bs and a few As. One terrible bomb of an exam in health assessment - we have the next one on Monday and I have no idea how to study differently! Plus we have another exam in fundamentals and dosage calculations. That's going to kill me.
I'm also struggling with chronic pain issues that look like they're auto immune in nature. Hopefully I can get it under control soon!

So any study tips?! And staying sane tips too...

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Etrips posted:

Any recommendations on apps / programs / books / etc on learning nursing style questions (NCLEX I guess?)? Had my first exam last week and I was pretty devastated with my grade since I'm normally an "A" student.

You are very likely not going to be an "A" student anymore. The sooner you can accept that, the better off you'll be. Your over-achievement is worth nothing in the grand scheme of things right now, as all your future employers will care about is if you're licensed. Case in point: A ton of the morons who limped through the program and are probably going to kill someone got jobs before a lot of the people in my class who scored consistently high on exams.

As an "A" student myself before nursing school, I would tend to over-think the questions--don't do that. The answer should should be justified by a straightforward explanation. If you have to go into a gross amount of detail to justify your answer, it's wrong. I trust your teachers have started beating Maslow/ABCs into your head? There's a reason for that: It'll help you find the right answer. Examples!

The nurse in the ED prepares a checklist prior to transferring an unconscious client with a head injury to the neuro trauma unit. The nursing action that would be of primary importance would be:
A) Notifying the receiving unit of the transfer
B) Having all the records and x-ray films ready for transfer
C) Verifying that the family has been notified of the transfer
D) Checking that a bag-valve mask is available during the transfer

All of those are things that sound logical/correct, but the answer is D--make sure you have the equipment available if the patient stops breathing.

A 16-month-old child diagnosed with Kawasaki’s disease is very irritable, refuses to eat, and exhibits peeling skin on the hands and feet. The nurse should do which of the following FIRST?
a) Apply lotion to the hands and feet
b) Offer foods the toddler likes
c) Place the toddler in a quiet environment
d) Encourage the parents to get some rest

Again, all answers seem logical, but three of them aren't going to work until you calm the little poo poo down: C.

Something worth pointing out is that I used two questions with diseases/disorders that you probably haven't learned about, but just by using Maslow/ABCs, you didn't need to know anything about them. NCLEX questions by and large are sort of testing your ability to see the big picture without getting lost in the details or getting ahead of yourself.

For NCLEX books, I've found the Saunders comprehensive review/Q&A books to be the most helpful. Another popular one in my class was the "NCLEX-RN Questions & Answers Made Incredibly Easy!" book--that one's great because the answers/rationales are right next to the questions (and it has an index) so you don't have to go digging.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Thank you much for this. Unfortunately no, they have not been beating the Maslows / ABC concept into our heads yet. We currently have the Saunders Comprehensive Review book, which I unfortunately did not get a chance to dig into before the first exam. I really do think it would have helped me a lot in trying to eliminate the wrong answers. But I will definitely be checking out the Q&A book.

I'm only in my 6th week in the program but from what I've experienced, I kind of regret going to this school (Northern Virginia Community College). Everything is just a giant mess and it doesn't seem like anything is structured or on the same page.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Etrips posted:

I'm only in my 6th week in the program but from what I've experienced, I kind of regret going to this school (Northern Virginia Community College). Everything is just a giant mess and it doesn't seem like anything is structured or on the same page.

Judging by my school (which for the most part I think is great), and stories I've heard from other people, this is almost always the case. It's like the faculty make a point to communicate with each other as little as possible.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Etrips posted:

With rare exception, you're going to encounter teachers in a nursing program that have no business teaching at all. Since so few nurses actually want to get into teaching, the programs pretty much have to take what they can get. This leads to horrible personality clashes, extreme disorganization, poor classroom performance, etc. Your best bet is to learn how you best compute the information, and then study independently with your methods.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

JAF07 posted:

With rare exception, you're going to encounter teachers in a nursing program that have no business teaching at all. Since so few nurses actually want to get into teaching, the programs pretty much have to take what they can get. This leads to horrible personality clashes, extreme disorganization, poor classroom performance, etc. Your best bet is to learn how you best compute the information, and then study independently with your methods.

I've been really lucky, and have had consistently great teachers so far through the program (except last semester - both our instructors wrote questions for the NCLEX, so their tests were absolutely horrific; still great teachers though). The problem just seems to be a complete lack of communication/organization.

For instance, this semester, I have clinical all day Tuesday, then lecture Wednesday from 8-2:30, and a test from 3-4:30 basically every other week. I'm already exhausted from clinical, and sitting through lecture for that long just fries my brain. The lecture the day of the test is material we won't actually be tested on until the final. I don't know who thought this was a good idea.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

ABC's and Maslow's. And knowing the nursing process (assess, diagnose, plan, implement, evaluate). Those three is what got me to pass the NCLEX in 75 questions despite only studying the day before. Unfortunately it took me until nearly graduation before it finally clicked for me. I went through over a dozen review books and apps thoughout school, so I can't recommend really anything. I do know that I stuck with just two books to study for the NCLEX, Evolve's Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX which also had important notes I jotted down and Med-Surg Success, the latter I just went straight for the rationales and read them without bothering with the questions.

And stay far away from allnurses.com if you want to keep your sanity.

Yarbald posted:

For instance, this semester, I have clinical all day Tuesday, then lecture Wednesday from 8-2:30, and a test from 3-4:30 basically every other week. I'm already exhausted from clinical, and sitting through lecture for that long just fries my brain. The lecture the day of the test is material we won't actually be tested on until the final. I don't know who thought this was a good idea.

My class learned to just tune out lectures unless the professor mentions something specific that will be on the test. I just browsed SA while my friend played Diablo.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

For some mysterious reason, a HUGE amount of profs/lab coordinators at my school are peds nurses. I'm guessing that with only one childrens' hospital in the city, there is absolutely no ped nurse shortage, which makes me worried for the majority of my classmates who all love babies and want to work L & D despite our clinical rotation in OB/maternity being next semester i.e. none of us have actually done it. The thing about our profs all being peds nurses is that it's incredibly annoying to hear "We never use this in the ped population!" twelve times a semester. And I think that, as a class, we're missing out on classroom experience from populations that most of us will actually work in like ER/geriatrics/ortho.

Yarbald, I am insanely jealous that you only have one day of clinical a week :(

I guess the reason that this thread is full of students is that actual working nurses have no time to post. Woohoo, my life in two years!

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

JAF07 posted:

Case in point: A ton of the morons who limped through the program and are probably going to kill someone got jobs before a lot of the people in my class who scored consistently high on exams.

This is me. :eng99:

Anyways, it's all about ABC, safety then pain. Suicide risk/assessment for psych and the only time you give a drat about what's going on with the family is peds.

Read the question slowly to figure out what it is asking. I know that sounds obvious but I've had a lot of questions where there is a secret curveball in the question that you'd miss if you were just flying through the test.

Never read into something more than the information you have available.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

Etrips posted:

We currently have the Saunders Comprehensive Review book, which I unfortunately did not get a chance to dig into before the first exam. I really do think it would have helped me a lot in trying to eliminate the wrong answers. But I will definitely be checking out the Q&A book.

Thing is, The saunders book is not going to help a lot if you do not know/ have a good grasp on Maslows, Erickson's, nursing process,and ABC's

The first few tests are some of the hardest as you are learning a totally new testing format. I recommend making an appointment with your instructor to review your test and see if they can help you with what you are doing wrong and how to help with thinking through the questions. There are girls in my class that doing that made all the difference.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
Holy poo poo holy poo poo HOLY poo poo.

I had a phone interview with a manager yesterday for a hospital clear across the country and she said at the end that "If you will be moving on in this process you'll hear from HR." Okay sure, that's cool, I'm not too invested in the job and that I actually got an interview was reward (and unexpected) itself, so either a yea or a nay would be okay with me. :) Phone rings this morning and it's the lovely HR recruiter that first contacted me and set the interview up.

:j: Hi Hellacopter, I heard you had an interview with Ms. Manager yesterday. She was very impressed and she wanted me to ask if you were interested in coming out here for a face-to-face meeting with her and doing some job shadowing with some of the nurses on the unit.
:shobon: Aw, thanks recruiter, that would be wonderful but I'm a brokeass new grad and flying out there would be a burden for me. (I was kind of sad because thought that the phone interview was the deciding factor and that I wouldn't have to fly myself around to continue the interview process)
:j: Oh no, don't worry! It'd be on us and our travel department would set it up. Flight, hotel, and rental car so you can start checking out potential housing while you're there.
:shobon: :aaa: In that case, hell yeah!
:j: Okay! Let's plan for 2 weeks from now. You'll fly in on the 8th, have a meeting with Ms. Manager and do the job shadowing the 9th, explore and get to know the area on the 10th, and we'll fly you back home on the 11th. :)

This is for a loving new grad job, I'm not some seasoned nurse that they just can't live without. Yes, it's a pretty big hospital system but I've never heard of a hospital that's willing to fly out a new grad. And if they're dropping 2k on getting me out there and suggesting that I start looking into housing, does this mean that I need to just not be a giant fuckup at the inperson stuff and I have a pretty decent chance at getting this job? :psyduck:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Thing is, The saunders book is not going to help a lot if you do not know/ have a good grasp on Maslows, Erickson's, nursing process,and ABC's

The first few tests are some of the hardest as you are learning a totally new testing format. I recommend making an appointment with your instructor to review your test and see if they can help you with what you are doing wrong and how to help with thinking through the questions. There are girls in my class that doing that made all the difference.

I completely agree with you. When going into the first exam, I didn't really expose myself at all to the nursing type questions that they are using which is what put me off. Since then I've talked to my instructor, gone through some of school resources, and probably about 800~ questions since then. I *hope* that will help me for the next exam on Monday. We shall see.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
I'll share something that I learned in my NCLEX review class, which I wish I had been told while I was still in nursing school: If there were one thing and only one thing you were going to do for the patient in question before walking away from them, what would it be, and does that leave them in the safest possible condition?

That is your correct answer.

Using that rationale I breezed through NCLEX in 75 questions and would have had a lot less headaches with the "NCLEX style" questions on our exams.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Go to the EMT thread and ask them about priorities. Then use those on every test ever for every nursing exam in existance.

Airway, breathing, circulation, safety, pain, anythingelse

There were plenty of tests that I got high marks on without studying because most multiple choice questions lead the answer. Learn to see what the question is asking. They are never ever going to ask you a complex nuanced question. The question will always be a test of basic knowledge or of prioritization. Basic knowledge, you should just know some stuff. Prioritization, see the above list.

Overthinking is the primary cause of wrong answers. I have no end of hatred for the scrub who ends class by ten minutes of arguing with a professor that the students' answers were better. Wrong! Unless its egregious and you have at least three references showing its invalid, you're wrong and should try to learn why you're wrong and not squabble over the points with the professor. NCLEX does not have a squabbling option.

Once you're employed in the field it becomes a lot less rewarding talking about it on the internet on your time off. 36 - 40 hours a week of nursing is enough for anyone to want to think about something else for a change.

Looks like the wife and I are going to be doing a double travel job to Las Vegas here pretty shortly. Just finished getting out Nevada licenses. Our agent says winter is a high demand season in Vegas because lots of old people 'winter' there. Migratory population means they get more nurses for the winter through travel companies and let them go for the summer. Once we get this first travel job though, every other job in existence that demands prior travel experience will open up to us. Same poo poo as getting a as a new grad and I'm really tired of working all these barriers down.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I just wanted to thank you all very much for the insight. Hopefully I will hard wire this into my thinking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Roki B posted:

Looks like the wife and I are going to be doing a double travel job to Las Vegas here pretty shortly. Just finished getting out Nevada licenses. Our agent says winter is a high demand season in Vegas because lots of old people 'winter' there. Migratory population means they get more nurses for the winter through travel companies and let them go for the summer. Once we get this first travel job though, every other job in existence that demands prior travel experience will open up to us. Same poo poo as getting a as a new grad and I'm really tired of working all these barriers down.

Let me know how this goes, my wife and I are planning to make a travel nursing career team once I get some experience/training.