Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
That announcer sounds like Max Headroom's brother or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile
Honestly the announcer is pretty sweet. He's just so scattered and XTREME.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
We're doing things that have never been done before (probably a lie). Right, now, we're multi-track drifting.

Two sides of the same coin: Let’s Play Splashdown as well

What is this game?
Splashdown is a jet skiing game developed by Rainbow studios, who made the MX vs ATV games and pretty much nothing else.

Unlike JetX20, where levels are downhill and don’t repeat themselves, Splashdown is a circuit-racing game, so each race has three laps around a course, with directional buoys that you have to pass to the left or right of, depending on the arrow... I don’t know what they’re called. Unlike the electronic soundtrack of JetX20, Splashdown has a soundtrack of songs from popular contemporary bands... from 2001. Expect half the Shrek 1 soundtrack to be on there. Unlike JetX20’s tricking system, which is standard across the board, Splashdown has a less intuitive one, especially when it comes to the more advanced moves. Splashdown also has shittier voice acting (somehow). In its favor, though, is the tight controls that holds the whole thing together. The tracks aren’t against you in this game (except for one or two later on), and it’s not frustrating at all to play. It may have been a bad 60 dollar game, but it’s a nice 5 dollar game.

How are you doing this LP?
Career mode, all of it, on Normal.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good is it?
The tricking system is tough to work with if you don’t want to just do the basic tricks, and it’s still kind of vague what the ‘performance meter’ is. Also, the AI does knock you around, so like in JetX20, it’s easy to get caught up in a problem that just builds up into more problems. It does things well that JetX20 does poorly, and vice versa, but on its own it’s a nice game to just play if you’re getting screwed by harder games. It’s a 7.

Episode 1: Maui, Everglades, Three Rivers and Madrid 1

Also, the tricking page, so you can see what I'm talking about. There will be a Splashdown update pretty much every other JetX20 level. So maybe 3-4 days in between each.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 6, 2012

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Ovues posted:

Splashdown also has shittier voice acting (somehow).

Although we don't discuss this in the video, I still maintain that the supposedly French dude you play in JetX2O sounds worse than the supposedly Asian girl in Splashdown. Sure, you can't understand what either of them are saying at all, but despite the Asian girl's high-pitched squeal, at least her inflection doesn't go all over the place like Frenchy.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

blanktester posted:

Although we don't discuss this in the video, I still maintain that the supposedly French dude you play in JetX2O sounds worse than the supposedly Asian girl in Splashdown. Sure, you can't understand what either of them are saying at all, but despite the Asian girl's high-pitched squeal, at least her inflection doesn't go all over the place like Frenchy.

Counterpoint, Luc is awesome and you are so wrong. I still think Splashdown is worse across-the-board, which only sometimes wraps around to being amazing. JetX20's isn't amazing, but I think they know they're not the best, unlike Splashdown.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Caught up at around the end of Freekstyle. I'm enjoying this thread, but I don't think I said so yet. I never really played any extreme sports games outside of the Tony Hawk games, 3xtreme, and Snowboard Kids, so it's interesting seeing these.

I don't think you said during the first Splashdown video, so I thought I'd ask: What do tricks get you in that game? I noticed there was a meter on the right of the HUD that went up when you did tricks, but I didn't notice a turbo button or anything on the controls. It didn't look like there was a score requirement or the like either.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Einander posted:

Caught up at around the end of Freekstyle. I'm enjoying this thread, but I don't think I said so yet. I never really played any extreme sports games outside of the Tony Hawk games, 3xtreme, and Snowboard Kids, so it's interesting seeing these.

I don't think you said during the first Splashdown video, so I thought I'd ask: What do tricks get you in that game? I noticed there was a meter on the right of the HUD that went up when you did tricks, but I didn't notice a turbo button or anything on the controls. It didn't look like there was a score requirement or the like either.

I forgot to mention that bar. That bar is kind of like a boost bar, but not really. There's no 'boost' in the game, but holding down on the the left stick or D-Pad speeds you up. I guess you go faster over all the higher that meter is, and it drains if you don't do tricks or go to the correct side of buoys (you stall if you go on the wrong side anyways soooo...) If you do lots of tricks it turns green at the top, which is giving you the most speed you can get, I think. The game says that if your meter is up to the green, you can skip a buoy and you won't stall, but I stall anyways.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
That arena jet-ski-cross track looks awesome, I totally want to see the concept explored in a modern physics engine.

Ovues posted:

I forgot to mention that bar. That bar is kind of like a boost bar, but not really. There's no 'boost' in the game, but holding down on the the left stick or D-Pad speeds you up. I guess you go faster over all the higher that meter is, and it drains if you don't do tricks or go to the correct side of buoys (you stall if you go on the wrong side anyways soooo...) If you do lots of tricks it turns green at the top, which is giving you the most speed you can get, I think. The game says that if your meter is up to the green, you can skip a buoy and you won't stall, but I stall anyways.

That sounds a lot like Wave Race 64.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Beastruction posted:

That arena jet-ski-cross track looks awesome, I totally want to see the concept explored in a modern physics engine.

That sounds a lot like Wave Race 64.

drat I forgot all about Wave Race. That was a nice game.

I also fixed the OP in case anyone but the youtube commentator who told me it was broken was trying to watch the new stuff from that. I should really settle on a standard photo size but ehh that's hard.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Welp that certainly was All Star playing in three of the four levels.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
:woop: Yay. This is one of the only two games on the PS2 my sister owned (before it got stolen and before we had an Xbox).
About Rainbow Studios, they also made the two Motocross Madness titles on PC. :pseudo: Splashdown was basically Motocross Madness 2 just on water, down to the odd tricking system and mostly pointlessly open levels you could explore in Practise mode. (And they were only released a year apart too). Riding of the edge of the map scared the crap out of me the first couple of times.
Also are you going to show the Hard tracks? They have different courses on them, ranging from just some extra buoys down to totally different areas you don't see otherwise due to that extra ramp they inserted.

Tricky came out around the same time as this but I'm not sure when studios started coping the SSX games.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Croccers posted:

:woop: Yay. This is one of the only two games on the PS2 my sister owned (before it got stolen and before we had an Xbox).
About Rainbow Studios, they also made the two Motocross Madness titles on PC. :pseudo: Splashdown was basically Motocross Madness 2 just on water, down to the odd tricking system and mostly pointlessly open levels you could explore in Practise mode. (And they were only released a year apart too). Riding of the edge of the map scared the crap out of me the first couple of times.
Also are you going to show the Hard tracks? They have different courses on them, ranging from just some extra buoys down to totally different areas you don't see otherwise due to that extra ramp they inserted.

Tricky came out around the same time as this but I'm not sure when studios started coping the SSX games.

I didn't know Hard mode changed the tracks. Like I said, I picked normal in this game as a reprieve from JetX20's difficulty, but I'll try Hard mode and if I can get through it, I might do a video or two on the biggest changes.

It looks like the Motocross Madness games had a map maker. While playing Splashdown's arena levels, I though that it would be cool if it had a mapmaker. Even if we could only change layouts in the arena, like in Excitebike 64. People could've made some cool tracks with it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah, the MM games had a Lego-brick editor to make Supercross (Or whatever the stadium/arena events are called) tracks. Basically those water arena levels. Odd they didn't have an editor for them, those tracks look like they were built from Lego-brick pieces.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Oh christ, the same team as MX vs ATV: Reflex? I had to review that SOB, it clogs my steam library list like a cancer, and I am so glad they're gone now!

EDIT: But Splashdown looks alright, if a little bland (Even down to music choices)

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 5, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

Oh christ, the same team as MX vs ATV: Reflex? I had to review that SOB, it clogs my steam library list like a cancer, and I am so glad they're gone now!

EDIT: But Splashdown looks alright, if a little bland (Even down to music choices)

Hmm, let's see their track record.

quote:

List of Games Developed by Rainbow Studios:

Air Havoc Controller
ATV Offroad Fury
ATV Offroad Fury 2
Cars
Cars Mater-National Championship
Deadly Creatures
Deadly Tide
Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX 2
Motocross Madness
Motocross Madness 2
MX Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Reflex
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Unleashed: On the Edge
MX vs. ATV Untamed
Ravage DCX
Splashdown
Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild
Star Wars Racer Revenge
The Hive
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2000

Talk about a one-note studio.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Just watched the Splashdown video, and WHOA WHOA HEY NOW. Sum 41 is awesome damnit. Voting 1 so hard now :colbert:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Ok I started playing on the Hard tracks and wow some of them are so different! I probably will make another vid or two showing some of them off if I can beat it. Been having a tough time on some of the early ones, so not looking forward to the later ones.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I glad someone else mentioned wave racer - while watching splashdown I was reminded a lot of wave racer: Blue storm. The tricks and jumps are all fairly normal looking and the bouy system as well...I think blue storm had a bit more boost system in it but I remember a swamp level in it as well.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Shaded Spriter posted:

I think blue storm had a bit more boost system in it but I remember a swamp level in it as well.

Swamp level?

YOU WANT A SWAMP LEVEL???

I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU TIMED IT SO WELL BUT HERE'S YOUR drat SWAMP LEVEL

JetX20 Level 2: Delta Faktor

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do kind of like how you can just dive under the water to pop out and trick wherever. The whole water current thing is kind of weird but it seems to be visible on the water's surface, so there's that.

Unless I'm just taking the wrong cues and the current's somewhere different.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

I do kind of like how you can just dive under the water to pop out and trick wherever. The whole water current thing is kind of weird but it seems to be visible on the water's surface, so there's that.

Unless I'm just taking the wrong cues and the current's somewhere different.

Sure you can see it, but it's still a big problem. It's not a minor thing, but a really big obstacles sometimes. Again, note me having to edit my turns a lot to get myself going in the right direction.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
JetX20 actually looks really sweet. The music is surprisingly well designed, they actually put effort into it fitting the theme of the game, and not just lifting licensed tracks:
http://youtu.be/uUysFjEL57s

I love how even the menus and character designs are SSX as hell, they knew what they were doing. I wonder how easy this is to find in PAL...

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Six Of Spades posted:

JetX20 actually looks really sweet. The music is surprisingly well designed, they actually put effort into it fitting the theme of the game, and not just lifting licensed tracks:

I agree, I find it refreshing to hear well-designed, relevant music in games rather than licensed songs that were never intended to be used as such. That said, I like the way games like Saints Row use licensed songs.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Six Of Spades posted:

I love how even the menus and character designs are SSX as hell, they knew what they were doing. I wonder how easy this is to find in PAL...

If you can find it (and want to play it) then definitely pick it up. This thread has been sort of one-sided from the get go, due in no small part to the lovely games themselves, but I do want to know if I'm making these games out to be too bad/good/hard/easy.

blanktester posted:

I agree, I find it refreshing to hear well-designed, relevant music in games rather than licensed songs that were never intended to be used as such. That said, I like the way games like Saints Row use licensed songs.

Sandbox games are better suited to licensed songs since they're attempting to imitate a city, and want real music to give a nice feel. They also usually have more than ten songs in the game. Sports games have licensed soundtracks just to attempt to get sales based off the soundtrack.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 7, 2012

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
In the end, while you are quite obviously good at most, if not all of these games, you do still occasionally cock up, and then you explain why that cockup happened. You're also explaining the problems of each game, even down to tracks, so I think you're doing a good job!

Random fact that happens to fit with the sports theme: "Cockup" is actually derived from archery. If you have the bow cocked with 1 piece of fletching pointing up, you're doing it wrong in a way that's going to cause rasps on your skin, reducing your ability to use a bow. Hence, a "cock-up"!

To illustrate:

pre:
   |              \ /
   .               .
  / \              |
This hurts   This doesn't

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I want to apologize for being really bad with words when it comes to explaining to subdive in the next video. In Jet X20, you hold back, the forward to dive into the water, then hold back to jump out. In Splashdown, you just hold forward to start the dive. That's why I get confused and just kind of "bleh" it out in this video. Still, come for the nice track and the Luc Lamouche.

JetX20 Level 3: Hyperion Gorge

-Also, this might just be a problem on my end, but if I go straight to the video, it just shows up as a black screen and doesn't play. If that happens to you, open the list of my other vids above the video and just re-click on Hyperion Gorge. Maybe it'll fix itself over the next day or two, but if not, I'll see what's up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. I've never seen a position tracker so thoroughly useless.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

Wow. I've never seen a position tracker so thoroughly useless.

Just another reason they should put the actual track layout on the left side. If not the full thing, then zoom in on where you are and show anyone close by.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Also, Splashdown part 2. I'm probably done with explaining all the game mechanics and other stuff, unless there's something I forgot again.

Episode 2: Mission Bay, Rhine River, Great Barrier Reef and Seoul 1

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
How many times are we going to hear Smash Mouth this time? :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Weirdly enough, Splashdown is making me appreciate JetX2O. It seems like when you get to max top speed you're actually disincentivized from tricking off every jump, so you don't wipe out and can get a variety bonus later on when you actually need it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Croccers posted:

How many times are we going to hear Smash Mouth this time? :allears:

I'm having really bad music luck with the playthrough I recorded. The same two or three songs won't stop showing up, and you guys haven't even heard the two or three songs that keep showing up every other time I play this game. I'm almost baffled.

Glazius posted:

Weirdly enough, Splashdown is making me appreciate JetX2O. It seems like when you get to max top speed you're actually disincentivized from tricking off every jump, so you don't wipe out and can get a variety bonus later on when you actually need it.

The "top speed bar" does tick down if you don't keep tricking though, and to stay 'in the green' you need to keep tricking almost every jump. I agree that JetX20 makes tricking not only more fun, but more necessary as well, since in Splashdown I'm beating everyone else by 10 seconds (or barely winning), even on hard mode.

I got through hard mode, and I want to mention something. Some of the tracks change quite a bit, while some only really add more obstacles to the same track and change the skybox. The AI doesn't get better though, so the same tracks I comfortably won in Normal mode, I win again in Hard mode by the same large margins. The more crap there is on the tracks, the more stuff the AI will run into, so the game is actually toughest on the simpler tracks where there's nothing to slow the AI down. JetX20 is the opposite, where the tracks stay the same except for the current levels, but the AI don't seem affected by those, so it's only tougher for you, the player.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 9, 2012

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Ovues posted:

I got through hard mode, and I want to mention something. Some of the tracks change quite a bit, while some only really add more obstacles to the same track and change the skybox. The AI doesn't get better though, so the same tracks I comfortably won in Normal mode, I win again in Hard mode by the same large margins. The more crap there is on the tracks, the more stuff the AI will run into, so the game is actually toughest on the simpler tracks where there's nothing to slow the AI down. JetX20 is the opposite, where the tracks stay the same except for the current levels, but the AI don't seem affected by those, so it's only tougher for you, the player.

As your roommate, I gotta say that even with you playing Splashdown on what-could-be-considered-a-comparable-difficulty to JetX2O, and you get a lot less frustrated with Splashdown than you do with JetX2O. My guess is that it's the fact that SD doesn't actually really become more difficult on the tracks that the developers thought it would.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Aw, Smash Mouth only played once this time. :(

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

OatmealRaisin posted:

Aw, Smash Mouth only played once this time. :(

I judge the amount of fun I'm going to have playing Splashdown by how much Sum 41 plays. And the Groovy Ghoulies songs. They're pretty good.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Is anyone noticing broken links in this thread? Another guy said on one of the youtube videos that some of the links are broken, but I'm sure they all work now. You guys don't need to rush to click on every link again but I don't know where they'd be broken. Anyways, more JetX20.

JetX20 Level 4: Mesotec

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Mesotec is likely a combination of Mesoamerica and Aztec.

"Wikipedia posted:

Mesoamerica, literally "middle America" in Greek, is a region and cultural area in the Americas, extending approximately from central Mexico to Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and northern Costa Rica, within which a number of pre-Columbian societies flourished before the Spanish colonization of the Americas in the 15th and 16th centuries.
I think the Aztecs lived in Mesoamerica. That would explain the architecture and the Meso region contains jungles.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I have no idea what the hell that announcer is taking but I want some.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

OatmealRaisin posted:

I have no idea what the hell that announcer is taking but I want some.

JetX20Juice

Ingredients:
*1: Crack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I really like the aesthetic of this game over Splashdown. Those huge drops in this level really put those flat circuits into perspective. Sure, Splashdown has a multi-tiered water colosseum, but JetX2O has a four-story high jump into a huge water-filled Incan dragon's mouth. Plus, generic drum'n'bass has a lot more energy than Smash Mouth.

• Locked thread