Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I would absolutely pay to make Herpus Derpus canon if only I had, like, a year to raise that kind of money. Or a bunch of goons with the same idea.

Seriously, I'll be super excited to donate if this actually helps to perhaps revive the adventure game genre. Between us, I've spent too much time scrounging around the AGS website for good adventure games to play.

Here's hoping the game has a text parser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The average donation is about $91 per backer. That's pretty impressive...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Some more fun times with MATH. :eng101:

At the current rate the Homestuck kick starter will make 30,580,260 dollars by the deadline in 29 days. What's that you say? Didn't hear the first time? Let me repeat that for you: Thirty million five hundred eighty thousand two hundred sixty dollars.

Of course I expect it to fall off as word of this spreads, but still, holy gently caress. :stare:

I'm pretty sure it won't be making $720 dollars per second every second right up until the last moment of the fundraising period.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I can only really justify getting the digital download, but that Bropack... Look at that tiny little Hussie-smuppet sticker, it's beautiful.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Here's hoping it doesn't end up like the Discworld game, where maybe a third of the puzzles make sense without having obsessively read every book in the series. Oh what, you didn't know Dersites hate frogs, so you didn't think to use the red frog statue to make Jack leave his office? gently caress you, get a walkthrough pal.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I can only really justify getting the digital download, but that Bropack... Look at that tiny little Hussie-smuppet sticker, it's beautiful.

LOHAC Stock Exchange Nakadile is superior :colbert:

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Seoinin posted:

Here's hoping it doesn't end up like the Discworld game, where maybe a third of the puzzles make sense without having obsessively read every book in the series. Oh what, you didn't know Dersites hate frogs, so you didn't think to use the red frog statue to make Jack leave his office? gently caress you, get a walkthrough pal.

Lie down in the mud, you hippie!

Though Kickstarter page said that you didn't need to know about Homestuck to enjoy the game, so familiarity with the comic would probably lead to little more than "what pumpkin," "he already has arms," or trickster mode easter eggs.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Backed at the physical media level. This should be interesting.

VJeff posted:

I've come upon the realization that Homestuck is basically like Dethklok, except for real.

Uncomfortably agreeing with this comparison.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Olivia42 posted:

Seriously, I'll be super excited to donate if this actually helps to perhaps revive the adventure game genre. Between us, I've spent too much time scrounging around the AGS website for good adventure games to play.

If any Kickstarter-based adventure game does that it'll most likely be the Double Fine Adventure game. But you do bring up a good point. Hussie can write, but how good is he at designing games? He said he's bringing in an indie developer to help out, I'm kind of wondering who he has in mind.

Basically, I'm worried the game might suck, and I'm a bit hesitant to just throw my money at it. It's easy to support Double Fine's Adventure or Wasteland 2 because the companies in charge have a proven track record with making good games. Of course I'm going to cave and put in 25 bucks at least, because if this game is good I want to be all over it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Did everyone look at the "let me tell you about homestuck" link? Because Hussie trying to summarize the comic in his crisp, laconic style of writing is kinda hilarious.

http://mspaintadventures.com/scraps2/homestuckKS.html

edit: Guys, what if the adventure game was actually command line driven? Like, no walkaround, no mouse support. Just a command line and some graphics.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 5, 2012

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Seoinin posted:

Hussie posted:

But I mainly mean that my primary goal will be to make a well-produced and highly-accessible game by any standard, something that everyone can enjoy even if they've never heard of Homestuck before.

So I think we should be OK. And given the Myst-like flashes I think he should be able to put together a pretty good adventure game with a bit of help.

(Although some of the puzzles in the Discworld game were awful even if you had read the series. An actual example: at the very start of the game you cough up a frog after waking up. Many hours later, you run into yourself in the past sleeping on a park bench and you have to put a frog in your own mouth as you sleep. The result is that your snores stop disturbing a butterfly and it flies in reach of your net. You then use this butterfly - secretly a quantum weather butterfly, an obscure reference to the books - to summon a rain cloud directly over a preaching monk in the future so you can steal his robes as he hangs them out to dry and use them to infiltrate a cult in the past.)

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
The most ardent fans of Homestuck are probably going to get in earliest, so the amount of donations almost certainly will fall off over time. The snoutpaks are going awfully quickly. :ohdear:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As tempting as the rewards are, I don't think I can in good conscience back this without knowing who'll be developing it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Chocolate Milk posted:

The snoutpaks are going awfully quickly. :ohdear:

Half the snoutpaks are already gone. If people want them, they'll have to chip in in the next few hours.

(Reminder that kickstarter doesn't actually charge you until the projects ends (in a month), so you don't need the money today.)

Bongo Bill posted:

As tempting as the rewards are, I don't think I can in good conscience back this without knowing who'll be developing it.

Probably that will get revealed once we actually hit $700,000, so you can probably wait for that, at a guess.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Seoinin posted:

Wait are we thinking of the same Order of the Stick here? I.E. stick figures making boy D&D rules sure make no sense in the context of real life! jokes? Four million actual dollars in for-realsies legal tender?

Jesus Christ.

Inflation must work fast if $1,254,120 in February dollars is over four million September dollars.

Yeah it's still a big sum but you don't have to make it 300% larger than it is.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Bobulus posted:

Did everyone look at the "let me tell you about homestuck" link? Because Hussie trying to summarize the comic in his crisp, laconic style of writing is kinda hilarious.

http://mspaintadventures.com/scraps2/homestuckKS.html

A+ example of pesterlogs, right here.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

KoB posted:

LOHAC Stock Exchange Nakadile is superior :colbert:

I drew those stickers! :shobon:

The canon name for the Nakadile (at least in my mind) is Naktrick Bateman!

Blaine the Train fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 5, 2012

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Honestly don't see this being any better than say, Penny Arcade's kinda tepid RPG games. I mean I think it's a neat idea, I hope it's good and I'll probably back it some time later this month, but if you're thinking this is gonna revitalize anything I hate to be like, all debbie downer but that sounds wildly bordering on outlandishly unrealistic.

And like Hussie said, games are expensive to make and the 700k is a bare minimum for whatever he has in mind. I get the feeling that a lot of those backers have a totally unrealistic expectation of the product they imagine they're gonna get.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
That's a pretty drat big print. Definitely going for the 50 dollar bundle. I trust you Huss!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Stealing this quote from tumblr:

quote:

the most comical thing about the homestuck game being made is that gaming journalists are going to have to try to figure out what the gently caress is homestuck

I...kinda want to see what happens when, say, Giant Bomb or Idle Thumbs runs up against it.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Chocolate Milk posted:

The most ardent fans of Homestuck are probably going to get in earliest, so the amount of donations almost certainly will fall off over time. The snoutpaks are going awfully quickly. :ohdear:

Yeah, most donations are probably going to be from the sort of people check the site every day, follow Hussie's twitter, etc. so I imagine the first few days will be huge. Still no doubt that it'll reach its goal, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I donated because I wanted to support Hussie in further exploring his creativity. So he wants to try his hand at making a Homestuck video game? Sure, I'll get behind that and hopefully he'll turn out something good. I don't really have much in the way of expectation, but I'm really interested to see what he can come up with when working in this kind of situation.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, that didn't take long. Homestuck fandom....

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Chocolate Milk posted:

The snoutpaks are going awfully quickly. :ohdear:

Yeah, the rapid disappearance of Snoutpaks was my primary motivation for spending $255 immediately on the heels of an Amazon-spree.

I am so weeeeeeak.

Bobulus posted:

I...kinda want to see what happens when, say, Giant Bomb or Idle Thumbs runs up against it.

I cannot wait to see Kotaku's coverage of this Kickstarter. And the comments! Oh god the comments!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

At the current rate the Homestuck kick starter will make 30,580,260 dollars by the deadline in 29 days. What's that you say? Didn't hear the first time? Let me repeat that for you: Thirty million five hundred eighty thousand two hundred sixty dollars.
Courtesy of the creator of Perry Bible Fellowship:
Help erase the national debt of the USA

quote:

NOTE: KICKSTARTER HAS A MAXIMUM GOAL OF $21,474,836.47.
THIS IS NOT MY GOAL. THE GOAL IS 15 TRILL.

Also, the biggest Kickstarters to date appear to be some kind of Bluetooth watch ($10 million) and a Linux game console ($8 million).

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Jesus.

Just blew past 300k like it wasn't a thing.

I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning and it's going to be fully funded.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I really hope that someone on the dev team is in charge of maps if it's a walk-around. Hussie really didn't do too good a job on the non-Myst style ones. Too much worthless wandering around empty areas. Especially the bridge below Dave was a bad design decision.

I'd pledge $15 easily if I knew who the developer was. Its not going to be awful, but I'm afraid it'll be kind of lukewarm. At least if it's awful you can mock it.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Cat Mattress posted:

Inflation must work fast if $1,254,120 in February dollars is over four million September dollars.

Yeah it's still a big sum but you don't have to make it 300% larger than it is.

Huh. I don't know why I was thinking 4 mil. Just some wires crossed in the memory banks, I guess.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Stealing this quote from tumblr:

Idle Thumbs would have a field day with Homestuck

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Jyrraeth posted:

I'd pledge $15 easily if I knew who the developer was. Its not going to be awful, but I'm afraid it'll be kind of lukewarm. At least if it's awful you can mock it.

Yeah if Hussie would at least namedrop a few of the studios he's in contact with so I could scope out what other games they've developed I'd probably already have given the Kickstarter a bucket of money. Hussie is a writer and an artist, not a game designer. For that game to be any fun he'd have to team up with experienced developers.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Put Gaslamp Games on it and it'd probably be golden. Their sort of humor would sync nicely with Homestuck's peculiar brand of bullshit and whathaveyou.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Welp, that didn't take long.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Madtrixr posted:

Idle Thumbs would have a field day with Homestuck

I really don't know what those dudes would make of Homestuck. On the one hand, they're probably too old to "get it". And sometimes stuff that is intentionally silly (Saints Row 3) does nothing for them. But they're big fans of emergent silly gameplay (see: Farcry 2), and Homestuck is basically an emergent story, sorta, so, I dunno????

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I really don't know what those dudes would make of Homestuck. On the one hand, they're probably too old to "get it". And sometimes stuff that is intentionally silly (Saints Row 3) does nothing for them. But they're big fans of emergent silly gameplay (see: Farcry 2), and Homestuck is basically an emergent story, sorta, so, I dunno????

Don't forget they like when creators try and explore their mediums, as well as the stories themselves. They seem to like meta stuff if it is done well.

Yeah it really is hard to imagine how they would take it.

How giant bomb would react would be based on how much they like con air.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Looks like $90, which seemed intimidating, is only like £56. I am sorely tempted to go in for a physical release. Even if the game is kinda bad, no harm supporting a creator you like I suppose.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Looks like it's hit halfway. I'm seriously wondering how far it can go.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, the rapid disappearance of Snoutpaks was my primary motivation for spending $255 immediately on the heels of an Amazon-spree.

Don't worry, I have the feeling this set of scalemates (lemonsnout and pyralspite) is going to be enormously collectable, especially if the game sells well.

Think of it as an investment.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My justification is that if I buy one of the rare, rapidly disappearing Snoutpacks, then I am probably saving some poor highschool kid from making a terrible financial decision with their parent's credit card. Also, I'm weak.
:negative:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

YggiDee posted:

My justification is that if I buy one of the rare, rapidly disappearing Snoutpacks, then I am probably saving some poor highschool kid from making a terrible financial decision with their parent's credit card. Also, I'm weak.
:negative:

I am a poor highschool kid.

You monster.

(I'm dropping $55 for the game, soundtrack and print.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

So, am I the only one disappointed that it's an adventure game and not 4(-ish)-player rpg. I mean, really, the idea of play Sburb, with your friends! just seems so obvious.

Knowing Hussie, though, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit of a genre-bender.