Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Wow, that is an amazing tank. How many gallons? Did you buy those corals as frags or were they full colonies?

Thank you. My tank is 25 gallons. All of the corals started as frags, but not necessarily in this tank. I've been doing this for 5 years now and continue upgrading tanks and transferring livestock. The hammer actually started as one head in my 8 gallon biocube 4 years ago.

Hypnotized fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Very nice. That really is a gorgeous tank. I was starting to feel bad because my 90g is coming up on a year and a half and it looks nothing like that.

I like it a lot! You clearly know what you are doing. :)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Hypnotized posted:

My reef hit to years old this month.

Tanks like yours make me want to sell off all of my FW fish and equipment and spend way way too much to switch to SW. That is beautiful.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I am totally jealous of that hammer.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Hypnotized posted:

Thank you. My tank is 25 gallons. All of the corals started as frags, but not necessarily in this tank. I've been doing this for 5 years now and continue upgrading tanks and transferring livestock. The hammer actually started as one head in my 8 gallon biocube 4 years ago.

I'd love to get more info on your equipment. Care to share?

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
Thanks guys

Pukestain Pal posted:

I'd love to get more info on your equipment. Care to share?

Sure

The tank is an old 25 gallon cadlight with stock stand, and return pump. Cadlight discontinued this model a while back.

Light: Nanobox LED
Circulation: vortech mp10
Controller: Reef Keeper lite

Here is my tank thread over at Nano-reef. I have tons of pictures on there
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=247444

Edit more picks

Hypnotized fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 5, 2012

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

That hammer is beautiful.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The whole tank is beautiful. Isn't it the best when the clowns try to sleep in the deflated hammer? Mine both do that, but mine only has 7 heads or so (started from 2) so they sleep-fight eachother to decide who gets to snuggle the skeleton.

Also, my flame BTA split :3: selling the baby on nanoreef, tank investment is finally coming back around!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

If you guys were to set up your dream nano tank, how would you set it up? between 8-25gallons.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 5, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pukestain Pal posted:

If you guys were to set up your dream 12g nanocube, how would you set it up?

Zoa haven. I love zoas but for whatever reason they never survive in my tank.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Zoas in general love/require ridiculous high light and high flow. The only zoanthids I never have any luck with are the "lunar" variants.

Just saw your thread. That is a beautiful 'nem.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 5, 2012

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Right now, I'm planning ~12g with softies. Livestock will be a couple neon gobies and sexy shrimp. I'd like to stick with LED lighting.

I'm really struggling with what to buy equipment-wise. I'm thinking I'd like to have a refuge and auto-topoff.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
For between 8-25 gallons, I would set up a softies-dominated tank much like the one I have now (20gal dimensions, but it has probably like 16gal display area).

Currently stocking:

• peacock mantis shrimp
  • revolving population of peppermint shrimp (see above)
  • pair of porcelain anemone crabs (too small for mantis shrimp to bother with)
  • pair of picasso clowns (too fishy for smasher mantis shrimp to bother with)
  • red brittle sea star
  • ~8 maxi mini carpet 'nems
  • rbta (current clown host)
  • haddoni carpet nem (crab host)
  • aussie purple-blue sarcophyton toadstool leather with neon green polyps
  • 2 separate neon green sinularia brassica "cabbage leather" colonies
  • indo neon green tip hairy mushroom
  • purple rhodactis mushrooms
  • gsp
  • knopia clove polyps
  • lots of misc snails, including 2 abalone and some chitons

The only reason I'm able to stock like this in a tank that size though, is because I do water changes from a controlled/dosed tank with a significantly larger volume.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 5, 2012

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

As far as equipment, I'm thinking about doing nearly exactly what has been done here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=296532

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
3 of those vertexes is ridiculously expensive, seems like. I would just go with the 24-led nanobox for $450.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 5, 2012

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

api call girl posted:

3 of those vertexes is ridiculously expensive, seems like. I would just go with the 24-led nanobox for $450.
I use the nanobox over mine. It's been great so far.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
During today's afternoon feeding, I had the pumps off and was squirting the food around the tank with a turkey baster like I normally do when I noticed something odd... where's the clownfish?!

Fearing the worst, I checked everywhere in the tank before thinking to look in the overflow box. Sure enough, there he is, stuck in the outflow bulkhead and dumbly staring up at me.

I grabbed a wooden spoon and gently poked him out from below, before scooping him up in my hand and dumping him back in the tank. He seemed fairly energetic and is swimming around just fine now, so I think he only got stuck when I turned the pumps off, and wasn't without breathable water for more than a minute or two. I'm very glad I managed to save him in time though - I hate losing livestock!

This is the first time in a year and a half that I've had a fish jump into the overflow box, but I'm certainly thankful that he decided to hop in there instead of overboard the tank. I used to have a zebra barred dartfish, but he escaped onto the floor one night and all I found was fish jerky the next morning.

Those incidences combined with the fact that my roommate wants to get a cat in the next few months mean that I'm seriously going to have to cat- and fish-proof my tank soon!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hypnotized posted:

Thanks guys

Sure

The tank is an old 25 gallon cadlight with stock stand, and return pump. Cadlight discontinued this model a while back.

Light: Nanobox LED
Circulation: vortech mp10
Controller: Reef Keeper lite

Here is my tank thread over at Nano-reef. I have tons of pictures on there
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=247444

Edit more picks

Might want to hold on to that hammer...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+8&ddid=164192

and http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+8&ddid=164126

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
wow they're charging like $25+ per head

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The "Aussie" coral premium.

For a laugh, sort price high>low in the Diver's Den LPS section.

For that matter, do it in the SPS section too. An "Aussie" pokerstar monti colony for $300 big ones?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 7, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hypnotized posted:

wow they're charging like $25+ per head

Well, if you ever decide to frag a head or two let me know. I love Euphyllia coral and your hammer is beautiful, but I cannot afford to pay $250 for a colony.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Well, if you ever decide to frag a head or two let me know. I love Euphyllia coral and your hammer is beautiful, but I cannot afford to pay $250 for a colony.

Where are you located?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't think I'm near you. For some reason I am thinking you are in the midwest? I am in Florida.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

I don't think I'm near you. For some reason I am thinking you are in the midwest? I am in Florida.
Yeah, Wisconsin

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ok, we'll the offer stands. If you end up having to frag it and don't mind shipping, I'd happily pay for the costs and the coral.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Wisconsin, eh, well I'm out in Illinois .......

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of the "Aussie" premium surcharge and euphyllia corals, I snagged half of a head of an "Aussie" gold torch over the weekend. For $60.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interestingly enough, I stopped by my LFS this weekend and they had a bi-color hammer like the one Hypnotized has. $70 for 4 heads. So not quite as outrageous as LiveAquaria.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Interestingly enough, I stopped by my LFS this weekend and they had a bi-color hammer like the one Hypnotized has. $70 for 4 heads. So not quite as outrageous as LiveAquaria.

Yep, the high price tag is because of the "Aussie" label.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
OK what is this poo poo and how do I get rid of it. its long, stringy, looks slimy. Its green and I can not get it to go away

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

OK what is this poo poo and how do I get rid of it. its long, stringy, looks slimy. Its green and I can not get it to go away

Looks like dinos almost. Perhaps cyano in the works

Siphon it out during water changes?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

SaNChEzZ posted:

Looks like dinos almost. Perhaps cyano in the works

Siphon it out during water changes?

I do but it comes back every time :smith:

sidenote I got a macro lens this week

My frogspawn (click for massive)

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 13, 2012

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
What does your clean up crew consist of? When was the last time you checked your water quality parameters? What lighting and how old?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

optikalus posted:

What does your clean up crew consist of? When was the last time you checked your water quality parameters? What lighting and how old?

12 super nassarius snails, 8 small hermits, 1 turbo, 1 filtering red sea cucumber. Thinking about picking up a sand sifting star.

Water params are spot on as of this morning, lighting is custom LED, only a month or two old.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

Water params are spot on as of this morning, lighting is custom LED, only a month or two old.

The new lights may be the cause. How old is the tank?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

I do but it comes back every time :smith:

sidenote I got a macro lens this week

My frogspawn (click for massive)

I would siphon out the top layer of sand that it's attached to, you're probably getting the visible algae but leaving some behind in the sand. HAve you tried taking off just a tiny bit of the top layer?

I had some cyano in my 8g that I'd siphon, but it would come back and that did the trick.

Flummoxed
Sep 21, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

It looks structurally like cyano, although i've only ever seen the purple variety. Here's my outbreak from earlier this year:

Getting rid of it was close to voodoo, but I cut 2 hours off my lighting period, cut feeding, increased flow with a new powerhead, siphoned it religiously everyday, and increased water changes (from 10 to 20% weekly). In the end it took 6 weeks to clear, it was around so long my clowns tried to host in the tendrils (idiots that they are)..

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I solved a GHA/Cyano issue in my 24g by rinsing food. Before when I'd feed mysis I'd defrost it and feed, but since I've started rinsing it before feeding algae is pretty much nonexistant.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I'm attributing it to the liberal dosing of Microvert I've been doing. Cut that back and cleared all that crap off along with the top layer of sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I had a similar dino outbreak to that when I needed to replace my RO/DI filters. Changing them followed by a few water changes cleared it right up. I don't know if you test for phosphates or not, but even if you do its quite possible there are some present and being consumed by that stuff.

• Locked thread