Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Oh right. I'm in England so its not a concern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
If you really want to, coat them in vaseline to keep them fresh for like, forever

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

To change the subject a bit, I'm looking for a quick and easy side to make with sweet potatoes. I could just bake them, but that'd get a bit boring after a while. I'm just cooking for myself, so things that can be easily cut down to one sweet potato or less would be appreciated.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

dis astranagant posted:

To change the subject a bit, I'm looking for a quick and easy side to make with sweet potatoes. I could just bake them, but that'd get a bit boring after a while. I'm just cooking for myself, so things that can be easily cut down to one sweet potato or less would be appreciated.

Well, hassleback sweet potatoes should be dead easy, if maybe a bit closed to baked ones. And maybe scalloped sweet potatoes. You could make a larger batch, since it re heats nicely.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

I made this sweet potato and spinach curry:

http://sortedfood.com/#!/sweetpotatocurry/

And it was seriously amazing. I'm not even a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but the little morsels of sweetness balanced the spicy curry really well. It's a simple recipe, though it will take about 30 minutes by the time everything's said and done.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

dino. posted:

PSSST. I have a blog. http://altveg.blogspot.com/

If there is anything you want more specifics on, just poke me in the vegan thread or in here, and I'll eventually get to it. Or shoot me an email to altveg at me dot com, and I'll reply. :)

Awesome! I might have to lurk in the vegan thread and pick up some more recipe ideas, then I can ask any questions there. Your blog is cool, I've read the newest three pages and plan to read more asap.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I sometimes take sweet potatoes and:
slice them super-thin (carefully with a knife because I don't have a mandoline for some stupid reason),
lay them out on an oiled cookie sheet,
drizzle them with some olive oil,
and bake them for a half hour or so at 400.
It makes sort of a (American) chip, but more substantial.
A little ginger, chile powder, maybe some cinnamon can go in the drizzle.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Very Strange Things posted:

I sometimes take sweet potatoes and:
slice them super-thin (carefully with a knife because I don't have a mandoline for some stupid reason),
lay them out on an oiled cookie sheet,
drizzle them with some olive oil,
and bake them for a half hour or so at 400.
It makes sort of a (American) chip, but more substantial.
A little ginger, chile powder, maybe some cinnamon can go in the drizzle.

I do this as well, except I have slices of butternut squash in there too. Squash and sweet potato work together awesomely, especially with some oregano and rosemary.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sweet potato and butternut squash mash with a little butter and lots of black pepper is amazing

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Jmcrofts posted:

I made this sweet potato and spinach curry:

http://sortedfood.com/#!/sweetpotatocurry/

And it was seriously amazing. I'm not even a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but the little morsels of sweetness balanced the spicy curry really well. It's a simple recipe, though it will take about 30 minutes by the time everything's said and done.

This sounds really good, but I'm confused by the 'passata' part. Is that just tomato sauce? Or crushed tomatoes, or paste? Do you think fresh can be used, and if so should they be chopped, or ground in the food processor? The picure of the finished dish doesn't look at all tomato-y.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EVG posted:

This sounds really good, but I'm confused by the 'passata' part. Is that just tomato sauce? Or crushed tomatoes, or paste? Do you think fresh can be used, and if so should they be chopped, or ground in the food processor? The picure of the finished dish doesn't look at all tomato-y.

In America it's sold as "tomato puree" I think, in a really big can. I used it from the can but running blanched and seeded tomatoes in the food processor should accomplish the same thing if you want to use fresh.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I went through a deep frying stage where I used about 1/2 gallon of canola oil last month mainly for some fried chicken and chicken tenders. Anyways, I reused the oil maybe 3 times total and now it's been sitting in a 1-gallon jug for the last 3 weeks or so.

Today I fried some more stuff, using new oil...I wasn't sure if that old oil was bad or not. I added the new oil to the old oil after I was done cooking and it had cooled down.

So my question is...how long does used oil last for? Should I just throw this stuff out or is it good for a long time? I know not to use it with fish because it will absorb that flavor/smell and everything will come out fishy. I don't want to be wasteful but at the same time I don't want the poo poo to go rancid. Ideas? Also, what's the best way to dispose of this stuff? I'm sure the garbage men wouldn't appreciate me throwing 1/2 gallon of canola oil into the garbage...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nwin posted:

So my question is...how long does used oil last for? Should I just throw this stuff out or is it good for a long time? I know not to use it with fish because it will absorb that flavor/smell and everything will come out fishy. I don't want to be wasteful but at the same time I don't want the poo poo to go rancid. Ideas? Also, what's the best way to dispose of this stuff? I'm sure the garbage men wouldn't appreciate me throwing 1/2 gallon of canola oil into the garbage...

You can usually tell when the oil is bad. If it smells, it's probably time to get rid of it. You can usually get 3-4 uses out of it. Filter it with cheesecloth before you put it back in the bottle.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Trying hasselback sweet potatoes tonight. I kinda botched the cutting and the recipe I was looking at called for brown sugar and all I had was molasses, but hopefully it'll turn out alright. Fried up a chicken leg quarter to go with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

I went through a deep frying stage where I used about 1/2 gallon of canola oil last month mainly for some fried chicken and chicken tenders. Anyways, I reused the oil maybe 3 times total and now it's been sitting in a 1-gallon jug for the last 3 weeks or so.

Today I fried some more stuff, using new oil...I wasn't sure if that old oil was bad or not. I added the new oil to the old oil after I was done cooking and it had cooled down.

On top of what Jmcrofts said, used oil generally stores for about 3 months at room temp. Test with your nose just to be sure.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

EVG posted:

The site and recipe look British, so passata (if I recall correctly) should refer to crushed or pureed tomatoes, rather than paste or sauce.

If you're going to use fresh tomatoes, the flavour is going to end up different. Canned pureed tomato is already cooked.

I've found that using cans of tomato puree in curries always makes the final product taste way too much like the puree. I've been happier with the results of using fresh.

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 5, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, should have paid attention when the recipe said to put foil down. There's now 2 big black blobs firmly attached to the pan. It looks like I took them out too soon, as the middle pieces weren't soft all the way through. The spices and molasses mostly just burned and I didn't taste very much of them.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Econosaurus posted:

But I already prepped to make Gallo pinto :smith:

Aww. The puppy dog eyes. OK, here goes.

For about 2 cups of beans (dry) you want roughly 1 tsp of whole cumin seeds, and 2 tsp of whole coriander seeds. Toast them dry in a pan, and grind them either in a pestle and mortar, a coffee grinder, or throw them in a ziplock bag and roll them with a rolling pin (or wine bottle). Then, pitch them into the thing with the stuff, and enjoy. Do NOT buy ground cumin or coriander, as the aroma starts to fade immediately. For extra credit, throw in some chopped cilantro at the end. :)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are the main differences between proscuitto and pancetta, only the area it's cut on (and thus the fat distribution etc)? Would it be like comparing ham to bacon?

I just bought a bunch of proscuitto and am not sure what to do with it, like if I could use it in a carbonara like it was pancetta.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Prosciutto is the dry cured leg of the pig, pancetta is cured pork belly. It's the difference between ham and bacon like you said.

In carbonara rendering fat from the pancetta to cook things in is important, and the prosciutto won't have much of that. It'd probably be tasty if you found a way to add fat in there.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
Prosciutto has a rich, but also delicate flavor. I feel that if you put prosciutto into carbonara, the black pepper and the bacon would overpower it. It would still be very tasty though, so if you want some, make it. That said, save a bit to eat with fresh mozzarella or melon. That way, you can really dig into and learn the flavors in the prosciutto.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Prosciutto is my favorite pizza topping, and my go-to whenever I make homemade pizza. Also great with cheese, and on bread.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Scott Bakula posted:

Eggs really don't need to be kept in the fridge.

My kitchen reaches around 35 C in the summer -- are you telling me I can just leave them out on the counter and they'll be fine?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tarepanda posted:

My kitchen reaches around 35 C in the summer -- are you telling me I can just leave them out on the counter and they'll be fine?

They probably won't last as long but yeah. Since I'm from the US it weirds me out and I keep them in the fridge anyway, but you don't have to.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I'm soaking beans overnight. What's a good red beans & rice recipe? I haven't made it before.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

tarepanda posted:

If you keep your eggs in the fridge (like I do), just make sure you let them sit out to reach room temperature. You can put them in lukewarm water for about 5 minutes to get them up to temperature if you're in a hurry.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Not sure where I should ask this, but I figure that cooks clean a lot of dishes so I'll ask it here. I brought some protein powder/insta-meal mix thing to work and mixed it up in my water bottle, and now my water smells really bad (it's one of those aluminum bottles). Is there a good way to wash the smell out of my bottle while still leaving it in a state where I can drink from it?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Is there a good way to wash the smell out of my bottle while still leaving it in a state where I can drink from it?

Will it not go through the dishwasher safely? Otherwise, get hot soapy water and a bottle brush and go to town knocking those slimy protein chains off the interior of the bottle.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Not sure where I should ask this, but I figure that cooks clean a lot of dishes so I'll ask it here. I brought some protein powder/insta-meal mix thing to work and mixed it up in my water bottle, and now my water smells really bad (it's one of those aluminum bottles). Is there a good way to wash the smell out of my bottle while still leaving it in a state where I can drink from it?

Try vinegar and baking soda, it works for me most of the time with a bottle like that.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Enter Char posted:

Try vinegar and baking soda, it works for me most of the time with a bottle like that.

Does it make a cool volcano too?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I'm serving grilled ribs for my friends this friday. And to make things easier for myself I prepared a lot of it today. I've boiled my ribs so that they're all done and i've made the marinade.

Only. When I tasted the meat it was hilariously overpeppered. Like it almost burnt my mouth. How can I save this? Can I? Should I just buy a new batch of ribs?

The marinade is full of chilipeppers so the combination could be.. gently caress

I am really upset and sad :(

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Does someone have a link to the old vegan thread? I really wanted to check out a bunch of good non-meat food but I can't find it. :(

Affi posted:

So I'm serving grilled ribs for my friends this friday. And to make things easier for myself I prepared a lot of it today. I've boiled my ribs so that they're all done and i've made the marinade.

Only. When I tasted the meat it was hilariously overpeppered. Like it almost burnt my mouth. How can I save this? Can I? Should I just buy a new batch of ribs?

The marinade is full of chilipeppers so the combination could be.. gently caress

I am really upset and sad :(

Try washing them well in lukewarm water, it might get it off. Really scrub them buggers. Not so hot that it boils em more, just enough to really absorb it.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I have some leftover buffalo chicken tenders at home and was thinking of making them into a buffalo chicken wrap, as I also have lettuce, onions, & cherry tomatoes, and can pick up tortillas at the corner store.

Normally I see buffalo chicken with ranch or blue cheese - I don't stock the former and I don't like the latter. But I do have a lot of unflavored yogurt I keep around for curries.

Advice on something I can do with the yogurt to make a delicious condiment for buffalo chicken?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I need help keeping my vegetables fresh for longer :(

I love fresh radishes and buy a bunch every weekend but after two or three days they go soft and deflated. I've tried keeping them in the fridge but that made them spoil faster so for now I just keep them on the bench. Should I cut the leaves off? Keep them in a dark place? Put them in tupperware?

Also, how do I keep bunches of coriander / cilantro from wilting and turning into a soggy mess? Currently I'll buy a bunch of coriander but after two days it's useless. I've tried freezing it but that just ruined the flavour and I've tried growing it in a pot to ensure I have a constant supply but my house doesn't get any sun (and apparently I'm retarded at growing plants) so it died.

TL;DR - how do I keep radishes and coriander fresher for longer?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

EVG posted:

I have some leftover buffalo chicken tenders at home and was thinking of making them into a buffalo chicken wrap, as I also have lettuce, onions, & cherry tomatoes, and can pick up tortillas at the corner store.

Normally I see buffalo chicken with ranch or blue cheese - I don't stock the former and I don't like the latter. But I do have a lot of unflavored yogurt I keep around for curries.

Advice on something I can do with the yogurt to make a delicious condiment for buffalo chicken?

I've never personally tried it, but I'd imagine cucumber raita would be great on buffalo chicken.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Does someone have a link to the old vegan thread? I really wanted to check out a bunch of good non-meat food but I can't find it. :(
It's still alive! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks! I can be so blind sometimes. Now for some vegetable goodness.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a can of re-fried beans that I need to get into my belly in a cheap, delicious manner. I was thinking of mixing them with some rice and making some sort of naked burrito sort of thing but I'm open to other suggestions. Who has a good idea?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
So, I'm going to be stuck working in Tulsa, OK for the next few days. Any suggestions on places to eat (within a moderate expense account budget, so less than $30 an entree would be ideal)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
For frying purposes, what is the best ( healthiest ) oil to use?