Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TorpedoFish posted:

Voyager 1 (which gave us this portrait) is now more than 11 billion miles away from Earth. Which means it's pretty much about to run out of solar system to explore and will be moving on to the rest of the universe outside of our little neighborhood. Which is awesome.

Well, rest of the Milky Way which is still a small, tiny square-meter of a neighborhood in universal terms - not that it isn't awesome.

I'd love this on my wall too.

EDIT not sure if videos are okay, but this is probably one of the most badass ways to give a fallen comrade a send-off:
http://www.wimp.com/fallencomrade/

DarkCrawler has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Sep 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

TorpedoFish posted:

Also this is not my picture and maybe lacks the historical oomph of the Apollo missions, but anything going into space is pretty bad-rear end.

:911: gently caress yeah.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

This is what a sonic boom looks like:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Root Bear posted:

Sadly, the shuttle in that image, Enterprise, did not go into space.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Root Bear posted:

My first thought upon seeing this was "drat, one flew into the Empire State Building too?"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

1stGear posted:

My first thought upon seeing this was "drat, one flew into the Empire State Building too?"

One did.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Dear Prudence posted:

This is what a sonic boom looks like:

That's a vapour cone, they commonly occur at transonic speeds but also during low speed, high-g maneuvers in humid conditions.

You can see a transonic flyby over the ocean form a great vapour cloud in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR_5YcWNY_M
And a supersonic flyby near the end of this video that doesn't, but a high-g turn halfway through that does in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY0xNb4pubA

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Phy posted:

I caaan't quite make out Heisenberg. And I'm surprised they let Pauli in at all.

e: Planck is taller than I expected.
:golfclap:

Usual Barb has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Sep 5, 2012

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:aaa:

I've only ever seen the black and white version of this.

Heading off to pastincolour.com to see about the availability of a print.

Thanks!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I caaan't quite make out Heisenberg. And I'm surprised they let Pauli in at all.

e: Planck is taller than I expected.

Phy has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Sep 5, 2012

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Probably had to invent a whole new unit of measurement for the combined IQ in this picture.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Jesus christ. Talk about having all your egg(head)s in one basket.

edit: thisiswhyyouaresittinginyourbedroomlookingatpicturesofcatsonacomputerandnotworkinginacoalmine.jpg

Mr. Gibbycrumbles has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Sep 5, 2012

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DarkCrawler posted:

Probably had to invent a whole new unit of measurement for the combined IQ in this picture.
Yeah. They called it Graham's Number.

Edit for badass houses.
It must be fun to sit on the balcony of the house on the far right.

I has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Sep 6, 2012

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

thisiswhyyouaresittinginyourbedroomlookingatpicturesofcatsonacomputerandnotworkinginacoalmine.jpg

I know you don't mean to be insensitive, but there are still coal miners today, many of them are quite bad rear end, and I wouldn't wish their job on anyone.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This man sets his hat on fire when he goes to work.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Anjow posted:

This man sets his hat on fire when he goes to work.

Miners used to go into their extremely flammable workplaces with a loving ACETYLENE torch strapped to their heads.

They were reasonably safe by the time they started using them, but still, holy gently caress.

(they're actually acetylene generators, you drop a little carbide into water in a sealed container and vent the gas to a burner)

Also blacksmiths are badass now? Awesome, I wish I could grow a beard.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Ephphatha posted:

That's a vapour cone, they commonly occur at transonic speeds but also during low speed, high-g maneuvers in humid conditions.

Yes, if I remember correctly from my CFD days, it happens where a shockwave forms.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The driving wheels of a Union Pacific "Big Boy" 4-8-8-4 locomotive:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Slung Blade posted:

Also blacksmiths are badass now? Awesome, I wish I could grow a beard.

They take particular rocks which usually look indistinguishable from gravel to the layman, heat them using carefully designed forges and skilled methodology often at risk to life and limb, and then hit that hot metal until they form shapes which are useful in a variety of ways when cooled. The badassery there isn't self-evident?

The Greeks saw such a man as so crucial to their survival and prosperity they made his archetype a major god alongside "the loving ocean", "death", and "hot girl." Not only that but they made sure he was crippled so his usefulness would be limited to them, based on the real ancient practice of hobbling skilled craftsmen to avoid them becoming guns-for-hire to rival tribes or strong warriors in their own right. Granted they also made him super ugly, had his hot girl wife cheat on him all the time, and basically made him one of the earliest patrons of the nerd, neckbeard, Tolkein dwarf, but even that can't take away from the fact that he could do what no other god could.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mind the walrus posted:

They take particular rocks which usually look indistinguishable from gravel to the layman, heat them using carefully designed forges and skilled methodology often at risk to life and limb, and then hit that hot metal until they form shapes which are useful in a variety of ways when cooled. The badassery there isn't self-evident?

The Greeks saw such a man as so crucial to their survival and prosperity they made his archetype a major god alongside "the loving ocean", "death", and "hot girl." Not only that but they made sure he was crippled so his usefulness would be limited to them, based on the real ancient practice of hobbling skilled craftsmen to avoid them becoming guns-for-hire to rival tribes or strong warriors in their own right. Granted they also made him super ugly, had his hot girl wife cheat on him all the time, and basically made him one of the earliest patrons of the nerd, neckbeard, Tolkein dwarf, but even that can't take away from the fact that he could do what no other god could.

A man so badass they limited his badassness so it wouldnt turn on them.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Brother Jonathan posted:

The driving wheels of a Union Pacific "Big Boy" 4-8-8-4 locomotive:

I didn't believe this until I looked it up.

Also, here's a slightly larger version:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

mind the walrus posted:

<------- Forge Gods Best Gods.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Hephaestus, if any of you care.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also Vulcan if you're a Roman wannabe :smug:. That goes even further to lend credence to his status as one of the earliest and most famous neckbeards and neckbeard-inspirations of all time.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

mind the walrus posted:

Oh, believe me, I know all about it.

I just kinda thought other people didn't think the same way about us.

Heph is my homeboy. I need to get around to building that shrine someday.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Hephaestus, if any of you care.

Yeah, Hephaestus.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Is she like 3 feet tall?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

She's bending over, so she looks shorter. I don't think it's crazy to assume she's 5 feet tall or maybe a little shorter.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Praseodymi posted:

Is she like 3 feet tall?

The drivers on a "Big Boy" are 68 inches in diameter. That is an average height for a woman.

The picture of yours is from the front, so the perspective makes it hard to do a size comparison.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

edit: thisiswhyyouaresittinginyourbedroomlookingatpicturesofcatsonacomputerandnotworkinginacoalmine.jpg

I'm a coal miner and I look at pictures of cats on the computer every day v:cool:v

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
While we're on the topic of Big Boys :

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Drag Racing Tires

Surface Tension

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Willfrey posted:

And this is why Kodachrome should never be allowed to die. Any image it captures becomes more than real and no matter the subject matter, looks simply incredible.

All the following are taken from Shorpy.com and continue with a locomotive theme simply to illustrate the point.

Working on the cab of a locomotive brought in for repairs at the Chicago & North Western 40th Street shops, Chicago. December 1942.

40th Street Shop, Chicago & Northwestern R.R. December 1942.

Roundhouse at the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad yard, Chicago. December 1942.

December 1942. Melrose Park, Illinois. "Chicago & North Western RR. William London has been a railroad worker 25 years -- now working at the roundhouse at the Proviso yards."

March 1943. "Santa Fe R.R. shops, Albuquerque. Hammering out a drawbar on the steam drop hammer in the blacksmith shop."

Chicago & North Western railroad locomotive shops at Chicago. December 1942.

December 1942. Melrose Park, Ill. "L. Logan, of West Chicago, boilermaker at the Proviso Yard roundhouse, Chicago & North Western R.R."

April 1943. "Viola Sievers, one of the wipers at the Chicago & North Western roundhouse, giving a giant "H" class locomotive a bath of live steam at Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Sievers is the sole support of her mother and has a son-in-law in the Army."

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Sep 8, 2012

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Trains really are badass inventions. Large, nearly unstoppable metaphors for human accomplishment and power.

I'd like to take a moment to talk about a man named O. Winston Link. Link's claim to fame was special type of camera he invented allowing him to create these incredible black and white photos which he used to document the decline of the American train culture.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

He's pretty bad rear end, IMO. He personally knows Mr. Top'em Hat, he's proved himself to be a really useful engine, and he's got tons of friends. That's pretty bad rear end.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Well, never mind! Commando missions are much more fun than girls anyway!

Trains with faces are always bad-rear end.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Baytor posted:

Trains with faces are always bad-rear end.

No face, but pretty badass.

For a serious post, my favorite badass from Badass of the Week: Baba Deep Singh. Badass Sikh who supposedly got his head lopped off and fought on. More likely, he took a sword to the neck and adrenaline carried him through to the end of the battle. Still, pretty awesome.

More here if you want to read it. That picture even showcases him and his sweet beard.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DividesByZero
Jan 24, 2006
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler

Willfrey posted:

Does anyone have this shot in super giant size? Reverse image search shows this up as the biggest available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Ok you should know better, where is this?

• Locked thread