Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know, I wish more Blu-Ray manufacturers would realize that just because someone has an HDTV and player doesn't mean they have a 5.1+ sound system. Those things can be expensive and it sucks to have a big action scene sound weirdly quiet because they're assuming the presence of a subwoofer.
Weird. I always have had the reverse problem. In order to hear the dialogue clearly enough, especially when people talk softly, I'm forced to have the volume loud enough that any onscreen action is insanely loud. My new 2.1 actually has an equalizer setting specifically to make voices clearer which has been a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

kuddles posted:

Weird. I always have had the reverse problem. In order to hear the dialogue clearly enough, especially when people talk softly, I'm forced to have the volume loud enough that any onscreen action is insanely loud. My new 2.1 actually has an equalizer setting specifically to make voices clearer which has been a godsend.

Same here, and while I'm happy that I'm usually able to compensate for the issue on my PC (I watch my Blu-rays on it using PowerDVD, with a 2.0 speaker setup or headphones), I nonetheless miss the 2.0 track most(?) DVDs used to have.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
2.0 tracks wouldn't make the dynamic range any higher or lower.

Again, most (all?) DVD & Blu-Ray players have a dynamic range compression setting to account for TV speakers or receivers that don't have the option. Turn it on to equalize loud and quiet. You will need to change the output settings to LPCM/Decode rather than Bitstream for it to take effect.

DVD tracks aren't mixed any differently to Blu-Ray tracks, it's just that your old DVD player would have defaulted to DRC on and was probably hooked up via analog L/R.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 4, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

This is one case where the big box is actually worth it. Instead of putting trinkets and digital copies, the gift set has a substantial hardcover book (86 pages) and the original score on CD. It looks like all the extras from the previous 2-disc sets are intact, with the 1962 documentaries remastered, plus a new interview with Peter O'Toole and a deleted scene that was part of the original premiere cut. It also has a real 70mm frame, even if it's sort of a trinket.

The book probably has a reprint of the roadshow booklet considering a mini version was provided with the very first DVD edition.

The bonus stuff is cool but I don't know if it's $50 cool.

But at least we have a choice. If Warner would have done that for Citizen Kane, I probably would have bought it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

frumpsnake posted:

That sounds more like some overzealous Dynamic Range Control setting on your TV or Blu-Ray player.

I've fiddled with it both ways but it never quite works- even before I had HD and Blu-Ray, movies on DVD that only had a 5.1 mix did tend to be a little "soft" in the action scenes.

Maybe I'm drifting too much into audiophile-ness.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sporadic posted:

The bonus stuff is cool but I don't know if it's $50 cool.

But at least we have a choice. If Warner would have done that for Citizen Kane, I probably would have bought it.

There was a digipack edition of Citizen Kane without the big box junk.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

There was a digipack edition of Citizen Kane without the big box junk.

Yeah, but it was $27 compared to the $35-40 the boxset was.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've fiddled with it both ways but it never quite works- even before I had HD and Blu-Ray, movies on DVD that only had a 5.1 mix did tend to be a little "soft" in the action scenes.

Maybe I'm drifting too much into audiophile-ness.

Nah, it's pretty loving annoying when you have to turn up the movie to hear the dialogue but any time there's music or sound effects it sounds like the tv is on nursing home volume. I think film makers have a tendency to mix sound effects and poo poo way too high because the primary consideration is the theatrical presentation. Contrary to what frumpsnake was saying I find 2.0 soundtracks (when available) to be much less harsh in this way.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Zat posted:

Same here, and while I'm happy that I'm usually able to compensate for the issue on my PC (I watch my Blu-rays on it using PowerDVD, with a 2.0 speaker setup or headphones), I nonetheless miss the 2.0 track most(?) DVDs used to have.

If they mix 5.1 correctly, it should condense nicely down into stereo, or even mono, without any significant issues. And since these guys know that their movie will be heard in stereo, they are going to make sure the surround mix works in stereo. Of course, I don't know why action scenes are so loud and dialog scenes are so quiet, but that's the way it goes.

But can you say which movies are causing the problem?

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

Cemetry Gator posted:

But can you say which movies are causing the problem?

Pretty much every movie I've ever watched made after like... 1980? in Blu-Ray has had this problem. The music/action/sound effects are insanely loud and people barely whisper. Sometimes I have to watch with subtitles on because the TV volume can be at 100 and they're still way too quiet to hear, but god help me if there's a single sound effect.

So this setting you're talking about, where would it be on the PS3? Most of us use that, might be helpful to walk us through.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

QVT posted:

Pretty much every movie I've ever watched made after like... 1980? in Blu-Ray has had this problem. The music/action/sound effects are insanely loud and people barely whisper. Sometimes I have to watch with subtitles on because the TV volume can be at 100 and they're still way too quiet to hear, but god help me if there's a single sound effect.

So this setting you're talking about, where would it be on the PS3? Most of us use that, might be helpful to walk us through.

Then it's got to be you. I used to watch movies in stereo until last October, and I never really had that problem, especially if it is so widespread.

Now, I looked on the PS3, and there doesn't appear to be a Dynamic Range Control in general (just for music playback). But that makes sense, since music is mastered at widely different volumes, and when playing between two different albums, you can have huge swings in volume. But in general, you either have a sound-system or a TV doing that, so it's one less piece in the puzzle.

So you would have to check your TV. It could be the speakers, they might not be that good, so please let us know what kind of TV you are using. And you should check the settings. Maybe your TV has a really bad dynamic range limiter.

It's tough with movies. They tend to have a wide dynamic range because it helps makes the action scenes much more interesting and attention grabbing. So you have quiet dialog, and then you have "BOOM BOOM BOOM" action scenes. In a theater, it works brilliantly. In a home environment, it can sometimes be difficult to get the right levels.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

QVT posted:

You should look into wireless headphones (along with the limiting settings everybody is talking about)

When I watch a movie without them, I have to crank it to hear everything but if I have my headphones, I can watch it at a normal volume and not disturb anybody else. Just be aware at how loud you have them. A good rule of thumb is if you can hold them in front of your head and still hear everything, they're too loud.

They also have the volume slider right on the side so it's easy to turn it up and down as needed.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

On your PS3, go to the Settings tab. Then to Video Settings. Scroll down to "BD/DVD - Dynamic Range Control" and turn it ON. The next one down is "BD/DVD - Audio Output Format". Set that to Linear PCM.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
You see, for me, the problem is the opposite. I rarely have trouble hearing dialogue, but big action sequences will be kinda quiet. Noticed it with the Star Wars blu-ray- it didn't quite sound right with either the default setting or the "movie" setting. Then again, that was on the TV- I haven't looked at the BR player's sound stuff.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sporadic posted:

You should look into wireless headphones (along with the limiting settings everybody is talking about)

I have a pair of solid Sony headphones, and extra audio cable and little extenders. Will that cut down in quality of sound?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

You see, for me, the problem is the opposite. I rarely have trouble hearing dialogue, but big action sequences will be kinda quiet. Noticed it with the Star Wars blu-ray- it didn't quite sound right with either the default setting or the "movie" setting. Then again, that was on the TV- I haven't looked at the BR player's sound stuff.

Yeah, that's a compressor kicking in and over-compensating. Basically, that dynamic range stuff is acting sort of like an automatic volume knob that adjusts the output based on how loud the soundtrack is. When it is set too heavily, it will make things seem too quiet rather than in line with everything else.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

Hibernator posted:

On your PS3, go to the Settings tab. Then to Video Settings. Scroll down to "BD/DVD - Dynamic Range Control" and turn it ON. The next one down is "BD/DVD - Audio Output Format". Set that to Linear PCM.

This helped a lot, thanks man. I would have never guessed there was a setting like that.

It's never been a problem with movies on TV, just with things I'd played on the PS3. Guess now I know why.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Just scanned through the Lawrence Of Arabia restoration and it is a loving revelation compared to the old HDTV print. I'm convinced it will now be the go-to disc to show off the format. It's even more impressive than Sony's restoration of Taxi Driver. Just perfect in every way.

It's getting a theatrical re-release on October 4th. My local theater is playing it and even at $12.50 a ticket, I'm still going to go. Seeing it on the big screen should be mindblowing.

Red posted:

I have a pair of solid Sony headphones, and extra audio cable and little extenders. Will that cut down in quality of sound?

Can't imagine why it would. I have a headphones extender cord connected to the base of my wireless headphones stand (so I can get it away from my TV and cut down on interference)

-----------

Adoration dropped down to $7.68 on Amazon. Never heard of it but it's a Sony Movie Classics release (which normally aren't that cheap)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=evdaisafi-20

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 5, 2012

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

Sporadic posted:

Just scanned through the Lawrence Of Arabia restoration and it is a loving revelation compared to the old HDTV print. I'm convinced it will now be the go-to disc to show off the format. It's even more impressive than Sony's restoration of Taxi Driver. Just perfect in every way.

Are there other (non-criterion) blu-rays like this? Where they have just an absolute wealth of special features and a great transfer? That Taxi Driver disc has so much stuff that it's worth owning even if you don't love the film.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

QVT posted:

Are there other (non-criterion) blu-rays like this? Where they have just an absolute wealth of special features and a great transfer? That Taxi Driver disc has so much stuff that it's worth owning even if you don't love the film.

The Adventures of Robin Hood, Psycho, The Conversation, Thr French Connection, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Searchers, and Forbidden Planet are all classics that got great releases with lots of extras. Those are just a few that jumped out at me from scanning my shelves, I know there are many others. Warner in particular has a good track record for giving their catalog titles good treatments.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

QVT posted:

Pulp Fiction received a pretty impressive release despite being a sub-$15 title.

Great transfer, loseless soundtrack, two different documentaries, two critic roundtables, Tarantino's full appearance on the Charlie Rose show and some other interesting stuff (Tarantino getting interviewed by Michael Moore at the Independent Spirit Awards, deleted scenes, etc)

--------

I don't have it but I heard Ben-Hur received a jam-packed release.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Daveski posted:

The Adventures of Robin Hood, Psycho, The Conversation, Thr French Connection, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Searchers, and Forbidden Planet are all classics that got great releases with lots of extras. Those are just a few that jumped out at me from scanning my shelves, I know there are many others. Warner in particular has a good track record for giving their catalog titles good treatments.

I'll add to that Goodfellas, A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, Scarface, Raging Bull, The Shinning, The Audition, Unforgiven, Citizen Kane, and the upcoming They Live are amazing releases.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

QVT posted:

It depends how you feel about the film, and I don't have any first-hand experience with it, but apparently the upcoming release of Titanic looks and sounds fantastic and has an insane amount of extras, including three commentaries, two documentaries, an hour of deleted scenes, 30+ short behind-the-scenes clips, and a boat-load of other stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the film myself, but I'm a sucker for extras so it looks pretty interesting.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

PDMChubby posted:

It depends how you feel about the film, and I don't have any first-hand experience with it, but apparently the upcoming release of Titanic looks and sounds fantastic and has an insane amount of extras, including three commentaries, two documentaries, an hour of deleted scenes, 30+ short behind-the-scenes clips, and a boat-load of other stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the film myself, but I'm a sucker for extras so it looks pretty interesting.
Nice work.

All pun-noticing aside, only $23 for that much extra stuff -- on top of a fun movie -- seems like a good deal, although I'd expect it'll be down to, at most, $20 soon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sporadic posted:

Pulp Fiction received a pretty impressive release despite being a sub-$15 title.

Great transfer, loseless soundtrack, two different documentaries, two critic roundtables, Tarantino's full appearance on the Charlie Rose show and some other interesting stuff (Tarantino getting interviewed by Michael Moore at the Independent Spirit Awards, deleted scenes, etc)

--------

I don't have it but I heard Ben-Hur received a jam-packed release.

It doesn't have what everyone who cares about special features wanted, a commentary with Tarantino, Jackson, Travolta and Thurman

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

It doesn't have what everyone who cares about special features wanted, a commentary with Tarantino, Jackson, Travolta and Thurman

I don't think Tarantino has ever done a commentary for one of his own movies. :(

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sporadic posted:

I don't think Tarantino has ever done a commentary for one of his own movies. :(

But he has done commentary for From Dusk Til Dawn and True Romance, both of which are extremely interesting! Also the first two Hostels and Hot Fuzz, but he didn't have anything to do with those movies so the commentary is less insightful.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

scary ghost dog posted:

But he has done commentary for From Dusk Til Dawn and True Romance, both of which are extremely interesting! Also the first two Hostels and Hot Fuzz, but he didn't have anything to do with those movies so the commentary is less insightful.

The Hot Fuzz one is particularly bad, as it's just Quentin and Edgar Wright namedropping obscure 70s B movies and not really even talking about what's happening on screen. Totally skippable and the main reason I don't miss QT commentaries when they're absent from his films.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

scary ghost dog posted:

Huh.

Is it too much to expect a possible commentary for Crimson Tide one day?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Just quickly skimmed the initial posts here regarding the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection and didn't see this listed. There's a UK 'mantlepiece' Limited Edition Set of this release that is 14 films, not 15 (North By Northwest is only in the US release). With the VAT dropping off it comes to $135 CAD including shipping - much cheaper than the US or Canadian release.

I'm assuming these discs are going to be region-free but it hasn't been confirmed. What a beautiful release.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 6, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

He also did a commentary for two episode of Spaced on the American DVD boxset but it has the same problem the Hot Fuzz one had.

Colonel Whitey posted:

The Hot Fuzz one is particularly bad, as it's just Quentin and Edgar Wright namedropping obscure 70s B movies and not really even talking about what's happening on screen. Totally skippable and the main reason I don't miss QT commentaries when they're absent from his films.

I wish he would do more indepth interviews like he did on the Charlie Rose show. He's an interesting guy when he has somebody to keep him on track/challenge him.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

friendo55 posted:

Just quickly skimmed the initial posts here regarding the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection and didn't see this listed. There's a UK 'mantlepiece' Limited Edition Set of this release that is 14 films, not 15 (North By Northwest is only in the US release). With the VAT dropping off it comes to $135 CAD including shipping - much cheaper than the US or Canadian release.

I'm assuming these discs are going to be region-free but it hasn't been confirmed. What a beautiful release.

Thanks for posting this. It looks cool, and it might be a really good buy for someone like me who already has the North by Northwest digibook.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

friendo55 posted:

Ordered this, they also have ... Friends The Complete Series for the same price.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

friendo55 posted:

It says region-free now in the item title. :D Thanks man.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Sunset Boulevard is coming to blu ray: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Sunset-Boulevard-Restored-Blu-Ray-Release-November-32586.html

This looks phenomenal. Restored video and audio, and tons of extras:

quote:

•Commentary by Ed Sikov, author of On Sunset Blvd: The Life and Times of Billy Wilder
•“Sunset Boulevard: The Beginning”
•“Sunset Boulevard: A Look Back”
•”The Noir Side of Sunset Boulevard”
•”Sunset Boulevard Becomes a Classic”
•”Two Sides of Ms. Swanson”
•”Stories of Sunset Boulevard”
•”Mad About the Boy: A Portrait of William Holden”
•”Recording Sunset Boulevard”
•”The City of Sunset Boulevard”
•Franz Waxman and the Music of Sunset Boulevard
•Morgue Prologue Script Pages
•Deleted Scene—“The Paramount-Don’t-Want-Me Blues” (HD)
•Hollywood Location Map
•Behind the Gates: The Lot
•Edith Head: The Paramount Years
•Paramount in the ‘50s
•Galleries: Production, The Movie, and Publicity
•Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Amazon.ca is showing this for under $20, so it's a must buy for me.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Sunset Boulevard is coming to blu ray: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Sunset-Boulevard-Restored-Blu-Ray-Release-November-32586.html

This looks phenomenal. Restored video and audio, and tons of extras:

Amazon.ca is showing this for under $20, so it's a must buy for me.

I knew it was coming to blu ray, but I had no idea it was going to be both restored and absolutely stuffed with extras. One of my favorite movies ever, and I can't believe we'll get to see a deleted scene from it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

QVT posted:

Nobody mentioned the Godfather Trilogy yet. The first two films (okay, the only films you are probably going to watch) look amazing. In fact, the scenes on the lake in the Godfarter part II are reference quality shots. They look amazing. And you get a whole disc dedicated to special features. Plus, there's nothing like watching this film in HD with a mono soundtrack.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why a mono soundtrack?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

QVT posted:

The three-disc Avatar set is like this. I think that movie is a piece of poo poo but it looks unbelievable and the extras are incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

Why a mono soundtrack?

Because that's how the films were originally released. Stereo wasn't the standard yet.

• Locked thread