Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Hey man being a pimp rear end soloing dual wielder is a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You know, I totally forgot about Mr. Stalker and I can totally see his assholery being part in parcel in why she decided to ask for some vacation time.

Also; I always understood the scene as Asuna wanting to take some vacation time from the KoB (with the implication being she'll return sooner rather than later) but that not being feasible because, of course, you'd want to take advantage of the momentum from the next floor being opened up leading to the duel Heithclif and Kirto are about to get themselves into.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The best time to take a break would probably be that lull between getting acquainted with a new floor and actively training towards the boss battle. Too bad they ruined that for themselves.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Asuna is a year older than Kirito. She's hiding behind Kirito because Kuradeel is a real creep -- not because she can't handle Kuradeel. When SAO began, Kirito was 14-years old and Asuna was 15-years old. They're 16 and 17 now.

Kirito never declares his level in these last few episodes, but I would guess it's easily 10-levels above Kuradeel's and quite a few above Asuna's as well. To be clear, Heathcliff is pretty-much the absolute best player in the game. Up until this time where Kirito reveals his dual-wield unique ability, (Minor Light Novel Spoiler:)Heathcliff was the only player to have a unique ability -- Holy Sword. As a result, their upcoming duel -- Kirito vs Heathcliff -- will more or less be the battle between the two best players in the game -- each with their own unique ability.

In the light novel, the author makes it very clear that Asuna is romantically interested in Kirito in the side-chapter (episode) with the blacksmith Liz. While it's seriously implied in the episode, it's not outright stated like it is in the light novel.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dan7el posted:

Asuna is a year older than Kirito. She's hiding behind Kirito because Kuradeel is a real creep -- not because she can't handle Kuradeel. When SAO began, Kirito was 14-years old and Asuna was 15-years old. They're 16 and 17 now.

Wow, that's much younger than I thought. Kirito seemed more like college age (maybe around 19) at the beginning.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dan7el posted:

In EverQuest (EQ), you used to be able to "bind" a person bascially anywhere. A binding is the spot a person goes to when they die. Ideally, you'd bind yourself somewhere safe like inside a friendly town.

Note that also in EQ, when a person dies, they lose XP. You can de-level. I have. It's not fun.

I heard of a story where some guy went away from the keyboard (AFK) for a while (maybe fell asleep -- think sleep PK'ing here) and this other guy was somehow able to bind this guy underwater. In EQ, you can also drown. So this guy would drown, die, lose XP, respawn under water, drown, die, lose XP, respawn under water....

I think he ended up at level 1 after the full night. Now, that's what I call sleep PK'ing.

Gamers figure out the most amazing "exploits". I'm thinking this one has something to do with the way the weapon was made, but they're more or less broadcasting that to us full blast. I am wondering "how". I Kirito attempting to stick his hand with the weapon was a good idea. I seriously doubt that would've been fatal, but maybe.

Quite a few pages back but...

:ohdear: I love how over the years this story gets more convoluted and distorted from how the original scenario occured. It's really like some Medieval urban legend that is slowly changing over time. The truth behind it was that it occurred on the PvP server Sullon Zek. Some guy got Tracked either by ShowEQ usage or the ingame function and killed while AFK. On Sullon Zek at the time you would lose XP upon PvP deaths (I forget if this function was changed or not after clowns like Fansy started their antics) I believe it 50% reduced xp loss for both PvP and PvE deaths. Well anyway they kill the guy and it turns out he still showed up on /who which listed the current occupants of the zone. Meaning he was bound inside the zone and had already respawned fresh at his bind spot. Repeat the process of tracking him down and they find him totally naked afk at his bind spot. Being the logical sociopaths that occupied the PvP servers on EQ they decided to delevel him as a lesson for daring to go "afk on our server fuk noob log out." I believe he went from level 60 down to a single digit level after a night long spree of killing him over and over. Since he was dying naked I believe they just looted his corpse to clear it so no cleric could resurrect and restore the lost XP.

The guy came back the next day and started his grind back up to 60 which he did complete :dawkins101: Such was the life on Sullon Zek.

I'm fairly positive this occured in one of the desert zones, South Ro, Oasis or North Ro. I'm inclined to believe it was South Ro and the guy got caught sleeping during his Ancient Cyclops camping run which was probably the most sought after item in game for that time period.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 7, 2012

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
I always found the most insidious one was to levitate some unsuspecting newbies with you over The Hole in Paineel and then run back and cast bind on them, back when that worked.

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009

nielsm posted:

Wow, that's much younger than I thought. Kirito seemed more like college age (maybe around 19) at the beginning.

In the beginning his avatar did not reflect his physical appearance. It made him look older.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Argas posted:

The best time to take a break would probably be that lull between getting acquainted with a new floor and actively training towards the boss battle. Too bad they ruined that for themselves.

Probably, but if Ep 2 was any indication, it took a lot to get the momentum going and there's probably a rather healthy fear that any loss in momentum will quite literary doom them.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I don't know any better way of putting this, but it's not that much of a stretch to imagine the KoB basing a large portion of their recruitment strategy (and guild sustain-ment) around Asuna, so it is understandable that they don't want her wandering off for any extended break because of the perception that would bring.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

I don't know any better way of putting this, but it's not that much of a stretch to imagine the KoB basing a large portion of their recruitment strategy (and guild sustain-ment) around Asuna, so it is understandable that they don't want her wandering off for any extended break because of the perception that would bring.

So she's the "Mascot" of the KoB?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 7, 2012

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

So she's the "Mascot" of the KoB?

Well to overextend a metaphor, I wouldn't say she's the head of the snake, maybe the face, but if you cut off the face of a snake I'm pretty sure it'll still bleed to death.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
I don't really think Asuna's THAT important for recruitment purposes, she seems to be a legitimately good player that's in commands of the assault group(I assume they're the group that specifies in clearing floors).I assume that's enough right there.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

devilmaydry posted:

I don't really think Asuna's THAT important for recruitment purposes, she seems to be a legitimately good player that's in commands of the assault group(I assume they're the group that specifies in clearing floors).I assume that's enough right there.

They've spent equal amounts of time describing her competency as a leader as they have her attractive qualities. Any top guild with sustained success at the front lines would have competent leaders. There's a reason they became #1.

In other words, I presume the KoB fan club is much smaller than the Asuna fan club. In other other words, how many of the guys that "gave her the eyes of someone about to propose" do you think were guild members that probably were recruited because of her?

It could also just be that by joining KoB you are by definition white-knighty as gently caress, which is why creepy bodyguards and duels over a girl occur.

Disclaimer: I'm likely biased here because I've seen this type of guild recruitment back in my WoW days (minus the leadership competency) and avoided all guilds that did it. The guild I was in for a while, due to my timezone and play hours, were mostly Australians and strippers, which I only found out much later, but hey they got the job done.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

They've spent equal amounts of time describing her competency as a leader as they have her attractive qualities. Any top guild with sustained success at the front lines would have competent leaders. There's a reason they became #1.

In other words, I presume the KoB fan club is much smaller than the Asuna fan club. In other other words, how many of the guys that "gave her the eyes of someone about to propose" do you think were guild members that probably were recruited because of her?

I thought she was joking about the proposal part?

And I thought they spent so much time on her attractiveness and her having a fan club because anime

I don't have much experience when it comes to guilds, I'm basically Kirito minus the ultra competency in pretty much any MMO I'm in so I can't really comment on that front. I'm kind of curious how guilds would have a mascot character, that seems a little weird/creepy to do, honestly.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

devilmaydry posted:

And I thought they spent so much time on her attractiveness and her having a fan club because anime

I don't have much experience when it comes to guilds, I'm basically Kirito minus the ultra competency in pretty much any MMO I'm in so I can't really comment on that front. I'm kind of curious how guilds would have a mascot character, that seems a little weird/creepy to do, honestly.

Two things makes SAO rather unique in this respect: First, everyone's character somewhat resembles their real appearance, so if someone appears as a pretty girl in the game, they are probably a pretty girl in real life. Second, these are guys who have have been stuck in a game for two years, and that's a game with a predominantly male population, naturally they are going to flock around the girls.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

nielsm posted:

Two things makes SAO rather unique in this respect: First, everyone's character somewhat resembles their real appearance, so if someone appears as a pretty girl in the game, they are probably a pretty girl in real life. Second, these are guys who have have been stuck in a game for two years, and that's a game with a predominantly male population, naturally they are going to flock around the girls.

In mmos, people tend to flock around the players they think are girls anyway.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

devilmaydry posted:

I think she was just messing with him, yes. Regardless of if she was being literal or not, it's clear she's had some experience defusing those kinds of social situations.

devilmaydry posted:

Nah, it's not anime-specific. It's more like Modern Princess Characterization.

Rivers
Jan 19, 2007
I don't remember if this has been explained, but is there a pvp duel mode where players are exempt from dying?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rivers posted:

I don't remember if this has been explained, but is there a pvp duel mode where players are exempt from dying?

I think the anime said that you can set rules.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rivers posted:

There's first-to-hit, down to 50%, and to the death. The first is obviously the safest if a bit of a mindgame because of how direct the objective is. Think of how in many fighting games, it's possible to just smash someone into the ground just by getting the first hit and carrying out the following moves perfectly, and giving them almost no window to recover. Setting up such a thing requires mindgames. Minor LN spoilers but during the duel, it's noted that Kuradeel would've won (By getting the first hit) had Kirito not specifically targeted his sword.

Damage mechanics are elaborated upon in the murder mystery sidestory and why even a duel to 50% is risky. While the duel ends once someone hits 50%, you can still have inflicted more damage and it takes time for all the damage to apply. You can suffer 6000 damage but your health doesn't drain instantly, so there's even a risk of dying in a 50% duel because someone is drastically more powerful or someone got a lucky crit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Or, to put it simply; 50% HP mode doesn't mean your stupid Lv 1 rear end isn't going to go flying into next week when you decide to butt heads with Captain Lv.100 McCheetoDust.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The "first hit duel mode" is going to be touched upon more next episode.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Demicol posted:

The "first-hit duel mode" is going to be touched upon more next episode.

Pretty-much all duels in SAO are "first hit" mode duels because of the safety factor desired and the danger of a "50% damage" duel becoming lethal.

Kirito's earlier duel with Kuradeel was also a first-hit mode duel. The anime episode didn't explain it, but the light novel does.

I don't think Asuna is eye candy. She's pretty and a girl, so she draws attention, but I seriously doubt she'd be a sub-commander of the best guild in SAO if she didn't deserve it. Also, her nickname is "Flash". She's very good.

I believe all the characters more or less look like their real-life bodies, so she's pretty in real-life too. I've seem some beautiful real-life MMO players in the past, but that does seem to be rather the exception than the norm.

(Very Minor Light Novel Spoiler)
The light novel states that Asuna got stuck in SAO because her older brother was the one who ordered the game, but he got called away on a business trip or something, so she decided to try it out in his absence. In essence, she wasn't really your typical "gamer". Asuna was just trying the game on a lark and got trapped.

Dan7el fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 8, 2012

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

The anime might cover that, you think you can spoiler that last part?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

devilmaydry posted:

The anime might cover that, you think you can spoiler that last part?
It would have been covered in Ep 2 unless they're hurting for Asuna content in Fairy Dance or something.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Speaking from my own painfully extensive MMO experience, guys in MMOs have a very weird relationship with women playing the game alongside them. It's all smiles right now and guys falling all over themselves to white knight her, but it can get really, really ugly, really really fast too.

Of course, this is somewhat distorted by the mechanics of the game itself in this case. But I can't help but wonder how much of an undercurrent of that remains.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

YouTuber posted:

Quite a few pages back but...

:ohdear: I love how over the years this story gets more convoluted and distorted from how the original scenario occured. It's really like some Medieval urban legend that is slowly changing over time. The truth behind it was that it occurred on the PvP server Sullon Zek. Some guy got Tracked either by ShowEQ usage or the ingame function and killed while AFK. On Sullon Zek at the time you would lose XP upon PvP deaths (I forget if this function was changed or not after clowns like Fansy started their antics) I believe it 50% reduced xp loss for both PvP and PvE deaths. Well anyway they kill the guy and it turns out he still showed up on /who which listed the current occupants of the zone. Meaning he was bound inside the zone and had already respawned fresh at his bind spot. Repeat the process of tracking him down and they find him totally naked afk at his bind spot. Being the logical sociopaths that occupied the PvP servers on EQ they decided to delevel him as a lesson for daring to go "afk on our server fuk noob log out." I believe he went from level 60 down to a single digit level after a night long spree of killing him over and over. Since he was dying naked I believe they just looted his corpse to clear it so no cleric could resurrect and restore the lost XP.

The guy came back the next day and started his grind back up to 60 which he did complete :dawkins101: Such was the life on Sullon Zek.

I'm fairly positive this occured in one of the desert zones, South Ro, Oasis or North Ro. I'm inclined to believe it was South Ro and the guy got caught sleeping during his Ancient Cyclops camping run which was probably the most sought after item in game for that time period.

I rember this somewhat. SZ was a brutal hardcore PvP server. Everyone knew going in that there would be no mercy. I had a blast because it was more like a straight up deathmatch, where no hard feelings we lost. This type of thing was common on that server.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
On an only tangentially related note, SAO talk made me go back and look at .hack//Roots again, and I noticed something in the opening I never spotted before.

In the one shot in the opening where you can see Haseo's shadow, it looks like Sora. Clever. Very clever.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Haha, ep 10 feels so goddamn rushed.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

darkgray posted:

Yeah. That duel should have been the majority of the episode, and it felt like they should have spent a bit more time on his being in the guild. Maybe half the episode on the duel, then half on him loving around in the guild and end on a cliffhanger. Make it a two-parter. You'd still get that ending bit they obviously wanted, and the pacing would have felt better.

Still, between that and Kokoro Connect this was one hell of a sappy week. I think I'm grateful for it though, been a lovely week otherwise.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You'd think some of the stronger guilds would have gotten together to exterminate laughing coffin, what with them being a menace to the community and ganking prominent guild members and all.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

paragon1 posted:

You'd think some of the stronger guilds would have gotten together to exterminate laughing coffin, what with them being a menace to the community and ganking prominent guild members and all.
They did Kirto's involvement in said extermanation is largely part of Arc 3 so who knows where Stalker McBackstab got his gank on but here it is.

That said, Asuna went drat well Polneriff on his stupid Iced rear end.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

darkgray posted:

I'm thinking they had to include all of what they did in episode 10 if they plan to finish the story in two more episodes. Anime News Network lists a total of 12 episodes.

The next episode will include a side-story which is important to all the following light novel stories.

Interesting watching episode 10 because while the end result was exactly as the light novel had, they got there by a different route. I guess you have to make some changes to shorten things into a single episode sometimes.

paragon1 posted:

As ConanThe3rd indicates, this issue is discussed in great detail in the Gun Gale Online light novel. Light Novel Spoiler: -- Kirito and Asuna are both involved in a massive Laughing Coffin clean-up that essentially wipes out the guild prior to what occurs in episode 10. Kuradeel specifically states that he joined the remanents of the guild recently and "only in spirit anyway" in the light novel.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh, that's cool then. You think they'd mention that.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Dan7el posted:

I'm thinking they had to include all of what they did in episode 10 if they plan to finish the story in two more episodes. Anime News Network lists a total of 12 episodes.

Wikipedia says 25 episodes total, though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

darkgray posted:

Wikipedia says 25 episodes total, though.

Maybe they're planning to end the SAO adventures by episode 12 or 13 then, and continue on to other NerveGear adventures after that?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dan7el posted:

ANN uses 12 as a place holder when there isn't a concrete number. Moonphase however lists it as a two season/cour show so 24 to 26 episodes.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Not only did the duel feel rushed but they messed up the mechanics probably for the sake of making it more visually interesting. First-to-hit and then they proceed to hurt each other without the duel ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Did they keep the bit of Foreshadowing that made the duel important later on?

• Locked thread