Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Also regarding stuff on the tracks, there's a national police service dedicated to the railway and they will always attempt to prosecute trespassers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bozza posted:

It was a retrofit but was done incredibly rapidly (plus was cheaper than rolling out ATP everywhere) because it's just cut into the existing safety systems and just dumps the brake pipe. The UK also has a system called AWS which has been manditory since the 1950s I think on stock.

It was initially fit to high risk signals, but now it's on basically all controlled signals as part of new schemes or mods. Work I'm doing currently we've got it practically everywhere and it provides totally robust protection against collisions.

Ah that's interesting then, sounds like there's also been a lot of time to put it into effect, as well as a previous system that managed some of the same stuff to "hook into" as it were..

Bozza posted:

As for the stuff on the tracks argument, this is an interesting point about UK vs US railways, in that ours are totally surrounded by a boundary fence (which you can report if it's damaged and someone will be out to fix it pretty sharpish). Oddly, they were mandated not to keep people off the tracks, but to keep railway workers ON the tracks, and therefore not in the 5th Duke of Devonshires back garden.

British class system strikes again!

edit: the Wikipedia article is pretty good http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_Protection_%26_Warning_System but a bit out of date to current practice

But a boundary fence doesn't stop people from doing stupid thing at level crossings, like have a car or truck break down and abandon it, or deliberate suicide attempts, or just "I can totally get across here before the train does". And that's the most common collision type.

Stuff like this happens a decent amount http://www.kget.com/mostpopular/story/Amtrak-sues-trucker-for-train-accident-two-years/hQrh8UpLikiPeI3rdnMi4Q.cspx

Hezzy posted:

Also regarding stuff on the tracks, there's a national police service dedicated to the railway and they will always attempt to prosecute trespassers.

Well it's also very very illegal here and the government passenger transit agencies all have their own police to patrol. But, again, it doesn't stop people from doing stupid stuff at or right near level crossings, or just attempting to cross on foot. Though that latter doesn't tend to do much damage to the trains.

Here's an example of a place where people have been killed or nearly killed crossing around commuter trains doing 80-100 mph and Acela trains doing 135 mph, even though it's got fairly difficult barriers to go around http://goo.gl/maps/bkMGB

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hezzy posted:

In the US the rail companies actually have a private police force that seems to be unique in that they have the same powers as government employed police (right of arrest, etc).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

nm posted:

In the US the rail companies actually have a private police force that seems to be unique in that they have the same powers as government employed police (right of arrest, etc).

I remember watching an ooooold episode of Cops where some local law enforcment was working with Conrail PD to bust people hijacking electronics trucks, pretty interesting stuff.

Having a "private" police force sounds scary but I don't think it's a problem. I think it comes down to jurisdiction, is that no local force is going to care specifically about the railroad, so they need their own force. Many transit systems in the US have their own force as well because of issues of jurisdiction and local PD just not giving a crap about the transit issues.

E: sorry for making GBS threads on your tea and crumpets British train chat with my fried cheeseburger and big gulp American train chat.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 6, 2012

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

nm posted:

As far as I know the British Transport Police are state "owned" for want of a better word, but funded by the train companies.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Jonnty posted:

As far as I know the British Transport Police are state "owned" for want of a better word, but funded by the train companies.

Yes, they are one of two "special" police forces along with the Civil Nuclear Constabulary.

They're held accountable by "stakeholders". They have a police authority (one of the many boards the police in the UK are held accountable to) consisting of representatives from each Train Operating Company. I think something like 95% of the funding comes from the TOCs, so BTP is quite a wealthy force and has all the best equipment.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hezzy posted:

so BTP is quite a wealthy force and has all the best equipment.

Not quite as well-equipped as the CNC who are armed to the loving teeth.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

E: sorry for making GBS threads on your tea and crumpets British train chat with my fried cheeseburger and big gulp American train chat.

Nah, we very much appreciate the occasional American cheeseburger.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Bozza did you ever write that massive post on level crossings?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Started it, but didn't quite finish it off. This would actually a good point for it so will try and get part 1 out tonight!

edit: Today I had great fun sighting a new signal.... right here!

Bozza fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 6, 2012

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Whitefish posted:

It appeared to me that the station was understaffed, but it may have been that this was just a one-off and generally staffing levels are okay.

I would imagine that this is more of a franchise based problem rather than a blanket across the network problem. That said I do wonder quite how a small operation like C2C can afford to keep someone in the ticket office till 20:00 on a weekday and someone like Greater Anglia can't.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Venmoch posted:

That said I do wonder quite how a small operation like C2C can afford to keep someone in the ticket office till 20:00 on a weekday and someone like Greater Anglia can't.

Because Greater Anglia are stingy as gently caress?
Earlier this summer, I was splattered with puke while trying to get on a train in the morning. 3 days later, the remains of the vibrantly-coloured stomach sauce was still clearly visible on the platform.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

West Coast rail franchise to be nationalised posted:

The British government is preparing to nationalise Virgin Trains' West Coast railway train operating franchise following its attempts to delay the handover of the network to rival operator First Group which won the franchise renewal bid, the Sunday Times newspaper said.

Virgin's campaign for a judicial review of the government's decision to award the franchise to First Group has delayed the signing of the contract and could put back indefinitely the handover, which is due to take place on December 9.

Ministers are now preparing to transfer the service to state-owned Directly Operated Railways, the paper said, quoting the Department for Transport as saying it was "looking at our responsibilities under section 30 of the Railways Act and it is only prudent to increase our focus on contingency planning".

The Department for Transport declined to comment further.

Virgin Trains, a joint venture of entrepreneur Richard Branson's Virgin Group and trains and buses operator Stagecoach, could not be reached for comment.

:stare:

Anyone intelligent know what this means?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
It means the government will be responsible for running both the East and the West Coast Mainlines.

Now if they'd only do the same with all the other railways we'd be on to a winner.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mrpwase posted:

The trains will be repainted to cover up the Virgin branding, before being repainted again when they're eventually transferred to First Group.
And all the staff will get two sets of TUPE paperwork.
A bit like the East Coast Mainline which is currently run by Directly Operated Railways.
It's part of the efficiency the private sector involvement brings to the table.

First can't take over WMCL until the courts are done with Virgin's complaint. But the government aren't going to let Virgin just keep making money off it in the meantime.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

mrpwase posted:

They're punishing Virgin for being uppity by taking away the profit they'll make between now and December.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
For a brief moment I thought that they were actually going to be nationalised. I don't know why I thought that was plausible!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Noreaus posted:

For a brief moment I thought that they were actually going to be nationalised. I don't know why I thought that was plausible!

See a doctor.

Now.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Hezzy posted:

They're punishing Virgin for being uppity by taking away the profit they'll make between now and December.

I think they're actually contingency planning for if the court battle runs past the December handover date - if it does, I think the plan would be that Virgin hands over to DOR and then DOR hands over to whoever wins (probably still First.) I wonder if First is allowed to sue Virgin for lost earnings if this happens? Probably not.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Good doc on BBC Four about the HST programme, it seems so far the conclusion is, Bloody Thatcher :argh:

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Good doc on BBC Four about the HST programme, it seems so far the conclusion is, Bloody Thatcher :argh:

Strange, at the end of the programme there was a very strong :allears: Thatcher :allears: vibe, which even the interviewee noted was an unpopular opinion

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Tincans posted:

Strange, at the end of the programme there was a very strong :allears: Thatcher :allears: vibe, which even the interviewee noted was an unpopular opinion
Yes I saw that, though it hadn't got I the end when I posted.

Still, Thatcher :argh:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

mrpwase posted:

It means the loving tories of all people are renationalizing the railways :stare:
I wonder when they're going to reopen the mines?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

StarkingBarfish posted:

It means the loving tories of all people are renationalizing the railways :stare:
I wonder when they're going to reopen the mines?

I'm sure they'll find some way of making massive public payments to private companies for lost earnings or somesuch due to this.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Actually they're seizing it from Virgin so Virgin doesn't get any money from it while they appeal the decision to hand over the franchise to First. As soon as the legal bollocks is cleared up it's going right back in private hands again. ~markets~

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

And don't get some idea that a the state running a single franchise is better than a private company - the true benefits of nationalisation can only be realised if everything goes in, both with regards to efficiency and the welfare of passengers an staff.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Whitefish posted:

I just had to queue for 40 minutes to buy a ticket at my local train station, and lots of people in the queue missed their trains or had to board without a ticket because they couldn't get one in time. I don't use the train regularly enough to know if this is a common occurrence or not. It appeared to me that the station was understaffed, but it may have been that this was just a one-off and generally staffing levels are okay.

In any case, what was annoying was that all the people in the queue who were audibly grumbling were blaming the delay on British Rail - e.g. One guy said, 'this is typical of British Rail'. But it's not loving British Rail who runs the station, it's Greater Anglia, a privately owned, taxpayer subsidised rail franchise. Where I live is a solidly Tory area, and my impression of the people who were complaining was that they thought having to queue in that way was a manifestation of the failure of running the railways as a nationalised industry.

Again, as I said, I don't think it's fair to draw any wider conclusions about rail privatisation from this episode, but it's incredibly frustrating that these people take being inconvenienced by a privately run company as evidence against rail nationalisation.
You can always just get a permit to travel from the machine for a quid then you are covered. They have those boxes in most of the completely ignored stations and all the functioning ones.

e: IIRC if you have the permit to travel it means you are entitled to pay up the difference on the train or at the end without having to worry about being fined.

e2: And my god yes the train service in Essex is loving vile. The London line through Colchester/Chelmsford etc to Liverpool street is always wall to wall couldnt fit another body on at rush hour every loving day. Thank god I dont live there anymore. The price is insane as well.

e3: Looked up the current cost of Witham to London return at rush hour (Witham is a little shithole halfway between Colchester and Chelmsford) and its £32.20. gently caress me are these guys taking the piss. Thats about 40 miles on a direct straight line.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 14, 2012

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Bozza posted:

Started it, but didn't quite finish it off. This would actually a good point for it so will try and get part 1 out tonight!

edit: Today I had great fun sighting a new signal.... right here!

Wait, a railway line runs through the middle of that multi-layered mess as well?
*goes and check*

Huh. I thought the old Colnbrook line was torn up all the way back up to the main line after the M25 cut it in half further down.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Seaside Loafer posted:

You can always just get a permit to travel from the machine for a quid then you are covered.

You could also do what I used to do, and get your season ticket/ off peak return/ etc in advance (for instance, on the way home the day before), thus dodging the hordes of dolts who can't plan past five minutes.

Of course there are lots of situations you can't plan in advance for, but the majority of people in massive peak time queues are renewing season tickets or doing something else routinely. Not really a poke at the original comment but at the masses who complain about peak queues but are able to avoid them completely.

EDIT: I also received a penalty notice of £0 once because I had a permit to travel from a station that had staff and I said that the queues were too long. Yes I was trying to dodge the full fare.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 14, 2012

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Itzena posted:

Wait, a railway line runs through the middle of that multi-layered mess as well?
*goes and check*

Huh. I thought the old Colnbrook line was torn up all the way back up to the main line after the M25 cut it in half further down.

Nope, I can assure you that the old Staines branch is still alive and kicking. In the multi million pound development of the signalling systems for Crossrail on the Great Western, it has been perhaps the biggest pain in the arse on the entire job.

It is refered to in the design office as simply 'the C-Word'

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Orange Devil posted:

See a doctor.

Now.

And hurry before they privatize that too!

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2211647/Moment-dozy-freight-train-driver-took-quick-snooze-wheel-caught-camera.html

:dailymail:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I'm guessing freight trains have a similar sort of dead-man's switch that passenger trains have, right? I sometimes hear passengers - usually kids - asking about the 'ringing sound' when I'm sat at the front of the first carriage, but I'm too much of a miserable gently caress to bother explaining it.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

kingturnip posted:

I'm guessing freight trains have a similar sort of dead-man's switch that passenger trains have, right? I sometimes hear passengers - usually kids - asking about the 'ringing sound' when I'm sat at the front of the first carriage, but I'm too much of a miserable gently caress to bother explaining it.

There's a dead man's pedal which must be depressed at all times, and must be reset every few minutes (I believe.) In addition to that, there's the Automatic Warning System (AWS). That's probably the beeping you hear - on approach to a signal, a beep (or sometimes a bell or buzzer) will sound - one for a green light and a different one for a yellow or red light. If the driver fails to acknowledge the alert for a yellow/red light within something like 8 seconds, the emergency brakes are automatically applied. And if all THAT wasn't enough, there's also the Train Protection and Warning System (TPWS) which will automatically bring a train to a halt in a safe distance if it passes or is travelling too fast towards a red light - though this is generally only used on new projects and at signals which it's particularly dangerous to pass at danger, like those protecting junctions.

So yeah, all in all he probably wasn't going to cause any harm. Still not a great idea to fall asleep at the controls of a train though - although I imagine he was probably just blinking.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Wow, the government have just relented on their decision to award the WCML to First citing "significant mistakes in the way civil servants calculated the risks for each bid." This is pretty big - I wonder how deliberate the mistakes were. They'll now have to rerun the competition.

One consequence of this is that it now looks certain that, come Decemeber, both west and east coast long-distance services will be under public ownership for the first time since 1997. Under a Tory government. Mental.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19809717

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Jonnty posted:

Wow, the government have just relented on their decision to award the WCML to First citing "significant mistakes in the way civil servants calculated the risks for each bid." This is pretty big - I wonder how deliberate the mistakes were. They'll now have to rerun the competition.

One consequence of this is that it now looks certain that, come Decemeber, both west and east coast long-distance services will be under public ownership for the first time since 1997. Under a Tory government. Mental.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19809717

What're the chances actual corruption will be uncovered when people start investigating this?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

coffeetable posted:

What're the chances actual corruption will be uncovered when people start investigating this?

0%

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Seaside Loafer posted:

You can always just get a permit to travel from the machine for a quid then you are covered.
This is literally the first time I've heard of this. How do you persuade a machine to spit one of these out?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Zephro posted:

This is literally the first time I've heard of this. How do you persuade a machine to spit one of these out?

As far as I know these are only dispensed from special machines which are unable to dispense proper tickets. The idea is you pay as much money as you can into the machine then swap it with the guard for a ticket on the train, with you paying/being refunded the difference if necessary. I think they date from before ticket machines existed, and were essentially a way of trying to avoid fare-dodging from unstaffed stations as more and more ticket offices closed.

A similar trick kind of exists with ticket machines though - if you can't buy the type of ticket you want at the machine (usually a season ticket) you can buy a ticket along that route to a station which has an office and have the price of the ticket discounted from the total charge for your season ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Jonnty posted:

There's a dead man's pedal which must be depressed at all times, and must be reset every few minutes (I believe.) In addition to that, there's the Automatic Warning System (AWS). That's probably the beeping you hear - on approach to a signal, a beep (or sometimes a bell or buzzer) will sound - one for a green light and a different one for a yellow or red light. If the driver fails to acknowledge the alert for a yellow/red light within something like 8 seconds, the emergency brakes are automatically applied. And if all THAT wasn't enough, there's also the Train Protection and Warning System (TPWS) which will automatically bring a train to a halt in a safe distance if it passes or is travelling too fast towards a red light - though this is generally only used on new projects and at signals which it's particularly dangerous to pass at danger, like those protecting junctions.

So yeah, all in all he probably wasn't going to cause any harm. Still not a great idea to fall asleep at the controls of a train though - although I imagine he was probably just blinking.

Dead Man's Pedal needs to be released and repressed about every 2 minutes if there's no other action taken (movement of the power/brake handle[s], AWS cancel usually) in that time. It generally makes a beeping sound.

AWS gives a 'bell' ding sound when the aspect ahead is green and a 'horn' sound if it is yellow/double yellow/red. AWS magnets are placed 180m on the approach to a signal, are ancient technology that was designed to combat issues with signal sighting in smog. We still use them today though!

Jonnty has fallen into the TPWS trap (don't worry, so does the loving Rule Book!) however. TPWS retrofit, which was done in a mad panic after Southall and Ladbrooke Grove, meant the grids were fitted to all high risk signals with the aim of reducing the outcome of a SPAD by restricting the potential collision speed. It does not stop trains from SPADing or indeed colliding.

Modern TPWS design however, which needs to be compliant to something called Technical Instruction 21, which is about so-called 'robust train protection'. This is done by calculating the Safe Overrun Distance and bringing a train which SPADs to stand before it reaches the Conflict Point. This is done by pouring over the scheme design and plugging a load of numbers into a super high-tech, cutting edge tool (i.e. an Excel Spreadsheet someone knocked up in a few hours), to play with the overspeed loops.

This is all done at the concept design stage, before the scheme is given formal approval and goes out to contract for detailed design and construction. It is the part of the process I do day to day in fact, so here is a TPWS table off of the scheme plan I am currently working on!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread