Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

After spending like 3 hours trying to get ANY kind of connection in what basically amounted to being in downtown Richmond Va, I returned my Galaxy Nexus and reactivated my Samsung Fascinate. I don't know what made it perform so badly with me while other people have no problems with it. No internet, dropped calls, shoddy 3g coverage, no 4g at all. God it was so sexy too :(

Oh well, at least I got my upgrade back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Potential (probable) Verizon newbie here...

Can anyone recommend the best way to do a Verizon switch for when the new iPhone hits? Mother in law gets a 22% Verizon discount through her employer, so we are trying to take advantage of that. We'd be combining several family members with individual lines (Sprint, Sprint SERO, AT&T and a two-line legacy Verizon plan) into one Verizon plan since they now have LTE blanketing most of our home area.

I'm not really looking for speculation as to the best way to get the iPhones themselves as there are lots of avenues for that.

My thought is to have mother in law go to a Verizon store or open an account online, ahead of the launch, so that part is all set up with her discount. She just wants a non-smartphone, so I'm thinking she should create the most barebones plan she can, like the 700 minutes, pay as you go text/data plan for $40/mo and port in her number. Can I then have her set me up as being authorized to make changes/additions to the account? Then on iPhone day, just change the plan to one of the higher tiered shared data plans and add the iPhones and port in the numbers from the various carriers. Is this plan a good one?

I assume that billing-wise this will all just get prorated out in that first month of service?

Does anyone have a clue what the best way is to get the two-line Verizon plan migrated into the shared Verizon plan while keeping the phone numbers? I'm hoping that can be done fairly easily.

Ezrem fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 4, 2012

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Experiencing the first extended service outage on my phone in forever...along with the entire town I live in (West Chester, PA) apparently. Still no word from Verizon on their support site or Twitter as to a cause.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AppleCobbler posted:

Weird. Maybe it's because i already had the app?

I can send you the apk if you want it.

Are you able to send the APK? Or can anyone give me the wallet APK?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
The only way I could get Wallet working on my SGS3 was root/recovery and this guide:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1769083

I haven't tested it because there aren't a bunch of MasterCard easypay points in Afghanistan, but it added my card and recognized NFC just fine.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Are you able to send the APK? Or can anyone give me the wallet APK?

PMed you a dropbox link to the APK from my Galaxy Nexus.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Could you PM that link to me too? I really want to try Google Wallet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

waffle iron posted:

PMed you a dropbox link to the APK from my Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks dude, Now I just need to find a place to try it.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Not a user of Google Wallet, but I wish I had the oppetunity to try for myself without having to jump through hoop. Thanks Verizon. So much for consumer choice with Open Android...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It wouldn't be such a problem if Google would just say "gently caress you." People want Android, carriers can't just not have android phones anymore.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Really glad I handed in my Nexus last week. Just saw coverage of the new line of Razr phones Motorola is putting out and I'm really digging them a lot. Hopefully they hold up as well as the Maxx did because the one thing I didn't like about the Maxx was how crappy the display looked when compared to Samsung's Nexus and S3.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Cojawfee posted:

It wouldn't be such a problem if Google would just say "gently caress you." People want Android, carriers can't just not have android phones anymore.
They might lose a few customers a first but really I bet they would just sell a poo poo load more iPhones and Win8.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Got a question that might be best-suited for a Verizon rep. Can folks with Ev-DO phones still buy LTE phones off of craigslist/eBay an activate them without losing grandfathered unlimited plans, or is Verizon tiering them up?

Got a couple guys on my family plan still using Ev-DO phones.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
So far, yes...just go to a store and ask for a sim and get it activated on the account.

Unlimited will stick.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

kbar posted:

Got a question that might be best-suited for a Verizon rep. Can folks with Ev-DO phones still buy LTE phones off of craigslist/eBay an activate them without losing grandfathered unlimited plans, or is Verizon tiering them up?

Got a couple guys on my family plan still using Ev-DO phones.

I went from a DROID 3 to a gnex with no change in my plan. You have to get the sim card from Verizon, but there's no change to your plan. (note, this was a couple months ago, but I don't think that things have changed)

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I'm on Verizon and MUCH happier with the service than when I was on ATT. I and the rest of my plan will be eligible for phone upgrades in October, after the new iPhone comes out. Is there any way to avoid paying way more? This is what the verizon site shows me. Basically our rate pre-fees will go from $184 to $219 and include less data on the new plans.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

modig posted:

Is there any way to avoid paying way more?
Depends on how many lines you're planning on getting iPhones for.

Since you're already a customer, you don't have to switch to the shared plan. If you get a subsidized phone, though, you'll lose the unlimited data (but can still pay #30 for 2Gb/mo for that line).

edit: vvvv oh yeah, alternate upgrades. Forgot about that.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 8, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

modig posted:

I'm on Verizon and MUCH happier with the service than when I was on ATT. I and the rest of my plan will be eligible for phone upgrades in October, after the new iPhone comes out. Is there any way to avoid paying way more? This is what the verizon site shows me. Basically our rate pre-fees will go from $184 to $219 and include less data on the new plans.
Do you just want to upgrade the two smartphones, and keep the dumbphones as is? If so, upgrade two of the three dumbphones; you can pick a tiered data plan for just that line rather than putting everyone on Share Everything. Then put the dumbphones back on those lines, which would drop the data plan. Finally, put the iPhones on your real lines.

You lose your upgrades on the dumbphones and they're back on contract with a $350 ETF, but with the $35/month+add'l taxes you'd save over the life of the contract you can buy cheap replacements outright if they should die.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
You can still add the $30 2GB data plan to just one smartphone on a family plan line, right?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Since you're already a customer, you don't have to switch to the shared plan. If you get a subsidized phone, though, you'll lose the unlimited data (but can still pay #30 for 2Gb/mo for that line).

edit: vvvv oh yeah, alternate upgrades. Forgot about that.

I didn't follow the alternate upgrade explanation, but if the will let us keep our current plan just at 2GB per phone I'll be happy with that. Neither of us have gone over 1GB. Since the new iPhone is probably going to be LTE are they going to charge $45/month for data? Also related to the above question, would we be able to move 1 of the dumb phones to a smartphone and keep the family plan structure?

I didn't understand the alternate upgrade, but from searching online it seems like that is used if you want to use an upgrade from a dumbphone line for a smartphone line?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not a Verizon employee, could be wrong, etc. but this is how I understand it.

First off, since you're an existing customer you can do pretty much anything as far as upgrades go and stay with the family plan (i.e. not change to the Shared plan).

quote:

Since the new iPhone is probably going to be LTE are they going to charge $45/month for data?
No.

quote:

Also related to the above question, would we be able to move 1 of the dumb phones to a smartphone and keep the family plan structure?
Yes, but it won't have the option for unlimited data. You can still get 2Gb/mo for $30 for that line.

About alternate upgrades:

Contracts are on a per-line basis. When you use an upgrade to buy a subsidized phone, you can think of it as a two-step process:

Step 1) Purchasing the phone. The act of using an upgrade to purchase a subsidized phone requires you to sign a new contract for the line whose upgrade you use. Since it's a new contract, you have to agree to Verizon's current terms, which may be different than the terms were when you last signed a contract -- in your case, the big difference is that you no longer have the option to get unlimited data on that line, but you can sign up for 2Gb/mo for $30 for that line.

Step 2) Activating the new phone. In most cases, people will activate the new phone on the line whose upgrade they used. However, you don't have to do that -- you can activate the new phone on any line currently on your plan.

If you use the upgrade for Line A to buy a subsidized phone, but activate the phone on Line B, it's called an alternate upgrade. Note that in this case, only the contract (and terms) for Line A has changed -- line B's terms, contract, and upgrade eligibility date are unaffected. This is the key point in peoples' discussion of the current situation -- if Line B in this example currently has a smartphone with unlimited data, then it will keep the unlimited data, since that line's contract hasn't been renewed.

It sounds like you want to go from:

iPhone4, Droid X, Cosmos, Cosmos, Cosmos to
iPhone5, iPhone5, iPhone5, Cosmos, Cosmos.

Is that right?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It sounds like you want to go from:

iPhone4, Droid X, Cosmos, Cosmos, Cosmos to
iPhone5, iPhone5, iPhone5, Cosmos, Cosmos.

Is that right?

Something like that. We're currently all in sync as far as contracts, down to the same day I think, so the alternate upgrade isn't relevant. Thanks everybody for pointing out that basically I don't have to switch to share everything, that will make our next 2 years much cheaper, then who knows what will be available in another 2 years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

modig posted:

Something like that. We're currently all in sync as far as contracts, down to the same day I think, so the alternate upgrade isn't relevant. Thanks everybody for pointing out that basically I don't have to switch to share everything, that will make our next 2 years much cheaper, then who knows what will be available in another 2 years.

Nothing that is available in the future will ever be better than what you currently have unless your situation changes.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

modig posted:

then who knows what will be available in another 2 years.

Something worse, Verizon hasn't exactly been going down the path of lowering prices and increasing data. Welcome to the world of desperately trying to avoid "gotchas" that will force you onto their new contract scheme.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

modig posted:

Something like that. We're currently all in sync as far as contracts, down to the same day I think, so the alternate upgrade isn't relevant.

I think the alternate upgrade is relevant in that you may be able to keep unlimited data on the lines that have it, but only if you don't use the upgrade that actually "belongs" to those lines. So for example, use alternate upgrades from the two Cosmos lines that want to stay Cosmos, get iPhone 5's, then switch them to the currently unlimited data lines.

Verizon reps/people who know more, will that still work to keep unlimited?

Edit: I'm dumb, that's exactly what Fez said. But yeah, make sure you get the rep to do it this way so you can keep your unlimited!

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

modig posted:

Holy poo poo those new plans are loving horrible for you

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Rent posted:

Holy poo poo those new plans are loving horrible for you

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, jesus. Verizon's tiered offerings are so gross.

So, would anyone care to speculate with me about Verizon's execution of the iPhone 5? Assuming it's got LTE, I've got a crazypants theory that this will be the device Verizon leverages to finally force customers off of their grandfathered plans -- even purchased at retail or secondhand. I'm betting 4G customers who drop their SIMs in one will okay, but Ev-DO phone users who have to call or go to a store to get the thing activated will be forced.

Then again, they're going to get so many people with old iPhones onto tiered plans anyway that it almost doesn't matter. But, I don't know. I've got a bad feeling about this one.

kbar fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 10, 2012

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I highly doubt thats going to happen. Especially since they've been so focused about getting people off of the 3G network and onto LTE.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kbar posted:

Then again, they're going to get so many people with old iPhones onto tiered plans anyway that it almost doesn't matter. But, I don't know. I've got a bad feeling about this one.
They have already accomplished their goal if you buy full price to keep unlimited. They are getting more money out of you by not giving it back in the form of a subsidy. Their whole plan was that if you use enough data that unlimited matters for you, you will pay more. You get to choose how you pay more, either switching plans or buying the phone at rack rate.

Probably even better for them in the case of an iPhone, too, because I thought there was a lot of ire from the carriers about how iPhone subsidies were higher than on the Android devices they have more control over.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's probably one or two families and maybe even some individuals for which the new plans actually save money, but I'm guessing those cases are few and far between.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kitten smoothie posted:

They have already accomplished their goal if you buy full price to keep unlimited. They are getting more money out of you by not giving it back in the form of a subsidy. Their whole plan was that if you use enough data that unlimited matters for you, you will pay more. You get to choose how you pay more, either switching plans or buying the phone at rack rate.

Probably even better for them in the case of an iPhone, too, because I thought there was a lot of ire from the carriers about how iPhone subsidies were higher than on the Android devices they have more control over.

Pretty much spot on..

For a comparo on the subsidies, they pay us an equipment subsidy of $280 for a "high end" phone, like the S3 or Nexus, $450 for an iphone.

Added wrinkle is the wholesale cost for us on the iphone is actually $10 MORE then what you as a consumer can buy them.

I pay over $100 more for a 16GB 4S than I do for an S3.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm going to be on a vacation of sorts, and where I am staying does not have WiFi coverage. I have a GNex running a JB Rom with the grandfathered unlimited data plan, what should I do/use to turn that into a hot spot?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kensei posted:

I'm going to be on a vacation of sorts, and where I am staying does not have WiFi coverage. I have a GNex running a JB Rom with the grandfathered unlimited data plan, what should I do/use to turn that into a hot spot?

Native Android tethering should just work. Failing that, any of the 3rd party apps in the Play Store should work fine. Just find the one that works best for you.

Also note: This is not really in compliance with the Verizon Block C decision by the FCC. The decision specifically excluded unlimited users.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kensei posted:

Which JB rom are you using? If you are using Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast, it's as simple as a checkbox as he bypassed Verizon's hotspot check. So it's the native functionality in android.

I'm also going on vacation next week and I just tried it out last night with my Nexus 7 and it worked flawlessly. I was up and running in under a minute.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Native Android tethering should just work. Failing that, any of the 3rd party apps in the Play Store should work fine. Just find the one that works best for you.

Also note: This is not really in compliance with the Verizon Block C decision by the FCC. The decision specifically excluded unlimited users.

Nice there is a check box under settings, I'll try that.

bull3964 posted:

Which JB rom are you using? If you are using Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast, it's as simple as a checkbox as he bypassed Verizon's hotspot check. So it's the native functionality in android.

I'm also going on vacation next week and I just tried it out last night with my Nexus 7 and it worked flawlessly. I was up and running in under a minute.

I am on Razor's Jelly Bean 2.6, been super happy with it. Will test tonight when I get home.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
This may not be the best thread for it, but here goes.

I'm getting a replacement Bionic for my Bionic via the warranty. Long story short, I can't maintain any sort of data connection worth a poo poo, so they are sending me a new phone to swap out my old one.

My question/issue is, is there anyway to copy all my old text messages over to my new phone? Ringtones, pictures, contacts, etc. I have no issue transferring, but I don't know how, if it's even possible, to transfer old text messages over to a new phone. I figure it is possible somehow, because they have to be stored somewhere, but am pretty clueless on how to do it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

themachine posted:

I'm getting a replacement Bionic for my Bionic via the warranty. Long story short, I can't maintain any sort of data connection worth a poo poo, so they are sending me a new phone to swap out my old one.

My question/issue is, is there anyway to copy all my old text messages over to my new phone? Ringtones, pictures, contacts, etc. I have no issue transferring, but I don't know how, if it's even possible, to transfer old text messages over to a new phone. I figure it is possible somehow, because they have to be stored somewhere, but am pretty clueless on how to do it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync&hl=en

This will do the trick. Only caveat is that MMS will get sent up to your Gmail but won't get written back into the phone when you restore on the new device.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

themachine posted:

This app worked well for me when I had to exchange my Galaxy Nexus for a new one. It exports your texts to a file which you can just copy to your desktop, then copy that file on to your new phone, tell it to restore, and then you'll have your old messages back.

Be sure to save your dick pics though as the app won't back up MMS for some reason.

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Hmm, do those apps work for swapping between different model phones also?

• Locked thread