Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

dietcokefiend posted:

Got my 45-200 in today for my EPM-1. Finally going to get some more reach at the Zoo.

I've been looking at this camera for exactly this. I do most of my photos of wildlife, either at the zoo or hiking. How does the EPM-1 do with moving animals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I had the kit lens with me at the zoo on the EPM1 last weekend, and shot some photos of the cheetah run through a fence. I stuck it on rapid fire and kind of pointed it in the direction of the drat thing as it sprinted across the field in front of us.

If I knew the path a bit more and understood just how fast the drat thing would be... probably would have been better. I also had these locked at iso 200, which if I bumped to maybe 400 I could have shot a bit crisper given how fast the thing was going.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Those look pretty good, thanks.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still have a 45-200 Panasonic for sale in the gear thread if you do decide to go that way.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
So some Fuji pictures were leaked about a week ago...

Here are the specs according to http://www.43rumors.com/roundup-of-the-competition-rumors-nex-5r-announced-fuji-x-e1-nikon-v2/
- Same 16MP sensor as in the X-Pro1 (with max ISO of 25,600)
- 6 fps
- Light magnesium body
- Improved AF speed
- Price: bellow $1000
- To be released before Christmas
- Same video recording capabilities as the X-Pro1
- Mic input
- EVF only (not hybrid as the X-Pro1)
- Two colors: black and silver
- Pull 25 ISO to simulate Velvia in JPEG mode

To be honest I find the price a bit hard to believe seeing how some sites are billing this as a cheaper X-Pro 1 and the camera below that, the X100, is still $1200

Ziggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 2, 2012

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Im That One Guy posted:

To be honest I find the price a bit hard to believe seeing how some sites are billing this as a cheaper X-Pro 1 and the camera below that, the X100, is still $1200

Yeah I can't imagine that it would be under the price of an X100, or $1200. Unless putting in that hybrid/interchangeable optical and electronic viewfinder is the bulk of the cost of manufacturing the camera.

e: However, if the rumored prices are correct, this is going to give Sony a run for their money, especially with that lens road map from Fuji.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Im That One Guy posted:

- 6 fps
- EVF only

That seems optimistic.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Im That One Guy posted:

Can't wait to see how it stacks up with the canon

Beastruction posted:

That seems optimistic.
?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Keeping the EVF updated while shooting that fast.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

Im That One Guy posted:

- Price: bellow $1000

Don't show me this. X100s will still be valuable because they're the first of their kind right?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

Keeping the EVF updated while shooting that fast.
the NEX 5N can shoot at up to 10fps in burst mode but it only updates the screen when it can.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Fiannaiocht posted:

Don't show me this. X100s will still be valuable because they're the first of their kind right?

Well they'll still be valuable to people that want to shoot with an optical viewfinder.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

the NEX 5N can shoot at up to 10fps in burst mode but it only updates the screen when it can.

That's exactly what makes me dubious about the Fuji doing 6fps in a way that matches the rest of the camera, the NEX locks exposure and focus to get 10fps and the screen basically does rapid image review. You have to look around the camera to see what's happening, and I feel like that's a lot easier if the camera is always at arm's length anyway. With an EVF it would mean switching between eye-level and arms-length depending on what features of the camera you want to use.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mest0r posted:

Well they'll still be valuable to people that want to shoot with an optical viewfinder.

The viewfinder on the X100 pretty much makes the camera and makes people who play with it go "ooh". If it was just an EVF it wouldn't be half as fun to use.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

That's exactly what makes me dubious about the Fuji doing 6fps in a way that matches the rest of the camera, the NEX locks exposure and focus to get 10fps and the screen basically does rapid image review. You have to look around the camera to see what's happening, and I feel like that's a lot easier if the camera is always at arm's length anyway. With an EVF it would mean switching between eye-level and arms-length depending on what features of the camera you want to use.

Or you could shoot with both eyes open like you're supposed to be doing.

The NEX 5N normal continuous mode is pretty swift too. Not 10 FPS swift, but enough for a camera of its calibre and then some.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Our cheap epm1 does 5.5. I hope a thousand dollar new camera can do better.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

Or you could shoot with both eyes open like you're supposed to be doing.

Oh that's what it is, my left eye is dominant enough that my right eye can either see almost nothing in the viewfinder or be blocked by the camera body.

Don Lapre posted:

Our cheap epm1 does 5.5. I hope a thousand dollar new camera can do better.

Like Leica!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

Oh that's what it is, my left eye is dominant enough that my right eye can either see almost nothing in the viewfinder or be blocked by the camera body.

Hold the camera upside down when you shoot it.

Eye dominance can be sort of trained out. I did it while learning to use iron sights on a rifle.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That Fuji X-E1 is really nice looking and is tempting me towards selling my X100. I don't understand how Fuji can make these beautiful cameras, and then companies like Pentax think they can release things like the K01 and compete.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Helicity posted:

That Fuji X-E1 is really nice looking and is tempting me towards selling my X100. I don't understand how Fuji can make these beautiful cameras, and then companies like Pentax think they can release things like the K01 and compete.

The K01 is great! Its race towards the clearance rack is making me really excited about being able to stop adapting M42 lenses to my GF1. :v:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Helicity posted:

It does look very interesting. Apparently the evf has the same OLED LCD as the upcoming NEX 6. I may be tempted to sell my X100 and get a silver X-E1 sometime next year.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Brief Fuji X-E1 hands on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo97siRDKDw

There will apparently be an English press release/announcement tonight but until then there are a few bits of interest:

Auto ISO is 400-6400 (the X100 and X-Pro 1 only goes up to 3200 at the moment)
0.05 seconds shutter lag
Q button Quick menu settings
Weighs 350g (X-Pro 1 is 450g, X100 is 445g)
Creative shooting functions include multiple exposure and panorama mode (X100 can't do multiple exposures, not sure if the X-Pro 1 can)
Diopter adjustment (present on X100, missing on the X-Pro 1)
Same back LCD as the X100 but with the already mentioned new 2.36 million-pixel electronic viewfinder as already mentioned. From the butchered translation of the Korean press release:

quote:

Natural, bright, easy-to-view viewfinder has a viewing angle of 25 °, allowing users to quickly and easily complete the composition viewfinder. The image on the organic EL panel through a unique lens structure (including two glass lenses and a double-sided aspherical lens) projection to the eyes of the photographer, to bring you high quality comparable to the optical viewfinder framing effect.

The new 18-55mm f/2.8-4 lens as shown in the video has a minimum aperture of f/22 and a .1s autofocus time with IS and 7 blades.

Anyways that's a brief X-E1 roundup of features that I noted. I wasn't that hot on the X-Pro 1 but I'm going to grab one of these for sure.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Yeah one of these, the 18-55 and the 30mm might just be my next camera. Anyone know how a canon 580ex flash would go on the hotshoe?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Aargh posted:

Yeah one of these, the 18-55 and the 30mm might just be my next camera. Anyone know how a canon 580ex flash would go on the hotshoe?

Unless the camera uses a proprietary hotshoe mount (like Sony), all modern flashes should be able to mount to whatever camera regardless of the brand, TTL-metering is another story though.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Aargh posted:

It should work, it does on the X-Pro 1. There is no TTL of course but it shoots fine in manual mode.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Fujiguys first look video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dyJixwqNoY

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amazon has these listed now. $999 for the body, $1399 for the kit with 18-55 lens here.

So so tempting.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Do any of the current Fuji X cameras have anything like focus peaking and an electronic level overlay? Very tempted to sell my NEX-7 for an X-E1 now, but I think I'd miss those features.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

Do any of the current Fuji X cameras have anything like focus peaking and an electronic level overlay? Very tempted to sell my NEX-7 for an X-E1 now, but I think I'd miss those features.

IIRC the Fuji's are pretty bad for manual focusing. I'm still kinda torn between the NEX-7 and now the X-E1; I could see retiring my NEX-3 + Pen 42mm f/1.2 kit for an X-E1 with a 35mm f/1.4 that can autofocus, plus the Fuji kit lens beats out the Sony one. I like primes, but the convenience of a nice zoom (my 24-70L almost never left my 5D) is hard to ignore for travel. I know Sony's trying to turn their lovely E-mount lens selection problem around, but Fuji seems to be developing their system for experienced photographers rather than beginners, which in the end is probably going to suit my needs a lot better.

Thankfully I'm in no hurry, will have to try out an X-E1 when it hits stores and see how I like it.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

FasterThanLight posted:

No, which means I'm very torn. I'm looking at the X-E1 or an NEX-6 or -7. NEX has focus peaking and a number of handy manual controls; but very few lenses. The Fuji looks like sex, and has great lenses, but the actual body functionality seems to be lagging. I guess we'll see once we get to handle them.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

FasterThanLight posted:

The X100 and X-Pro 1 have electronic levels, the X-E1 will most likely have the same. No focus peaking but allegedly Fuji has made some progress towards improving manual focusing. I'm not one qualified to speak about manual focusing as I only use it for zone or hyper focal on the X100. As-is it would be frustrating to try and operate the camera like that but the latest firmware makes the autofocus pretty snappy.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
From when I had the x100 and I wanted to manual focus, I would use the af-on to get me in the general area of what I wanted to focus on and attempt to tweak the focus manually from there. Trying to manually focus entirely was a great way to get frustrated at how many turns it takes.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
You could use M lenses to solve the focus by wire problem. I know on the x100 you can zoom into the focus patch by pressing in the rocker but that doesn't really replace peeking.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

The X-pro 1 is getting a firmware update that adds most of what the X-E1 will have. (faster AF, better MF, faster card writing)
People who have been testing the beta firmware say it's a massive improvement in all areas, so maybe Fuji will satisfy some people. I never found the issues to be nearly as bad as the internet hysteria machine makes it out to be.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

They've also said it won't be necesarry to turn macro mode on as often with the new update, which I'm quite looking forward to. Also it will support Auto ISO up to 6400 instead of the current max of 3200. Too bad we have to wait almost two weeks for it.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I'm split between the X-E1 and the OM-D at the moment. You can get the OM-D with a nice wideangle zoom (9-18), the 20mm 1.7 pancake, the 45mm 1.8 and a tele-zoom (45-200) for about the same price as the X-E1 with the 18, 35 and 60.

So the OM-D setup would be more versatile, but on the other hand the X-E1 has a bigger sensor for dat bokeh and the 35mm lens is faster than the 20mm pancake...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any idea when the X-E1 is supposed to ship?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

David Pratt posted:

I'm split between the X-E1 and the OM-D at the moment. You can get the OM-D with a nice wideangle zoom (9-18), the 20mm 1.7 pancake, the 45mm 1.8 and a tele-zoom (45-200) for about the same price as the X-E1 with the 18, 35 and 60.

So the OM-D setup would be more versatile, but on the other hand the X-E1 has a bigger sensor for dat bokeh and the 35mm lens is faster than the 20mm pancake...

I guess figure out which is more important. You could always rent an X-Pro 1 (post firmware 2.0 release) to get a sample of the files you'd be working with. I've never read much on the OM-D but every single X series camera has something that seems to piss off some people. The X100 is a magic box to me and it makes pictures so I'm simple-minded in my happiness. If you're a features and versatility oriented person I would definitely rent an X-Pro 1 for a weekend.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Any idea when the X-E1 is supposed to ship?

Based on what I suspect is extrapolation from Fuji's announce-to-ship of the X100, I've read November with cameras arriving in North America late December or January. Pure speculation.

Update: Amazon just sent me an e-mail about my preorder, delivery date of October 04-29th. We'll see.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 9, 2012

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

So all those rumors about a full frame NEX that were swirling around didn't make sense to most of us but I felt like something must be going on. Looks like Sony has a full frame fixed lens camera up thier sleeve instead.

http://photorumors.com/2012/09/09/breaking-sony-rx1-the-first-full-frame-compact-camera/

So it's more of an X-100 competitor with a Leica price. The picture quality had better be damned good for 3 grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Holy crap, that's almost exactly what I was thinking of earlier.

HPL posted:

Thinking about it further, what would be super killer would be if Sony created what would essentially be a digital version of an Olympus XA or Contax T2. Compact fixed-lens full frame digital camera. They'd pretty much have the market to themselves. I mean hell, the T2 lens was designed by Zeiss so all they have to do is go back in the archives and duplicate the formula.