Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter
1985's future of motorcycling:
Suzuki Falcorustyco

quote:

The Falcorustyco had no frame like a normal bike. The front and the rear swing arms were attached to the 500cc square four engine. Not the RG500 Gamma engine - According to Suzuki it was a new water-cooled four-stroke power plant with 16 valves and three cam shafts.

The final drive was not chain, belt or shaft, like all the other bikes. No, Suzuki chose to use hydraulic pumps that transported the movement energy to both wheels. No gear box was needed. Hydraulic hub-steer.

The brakes were electromagnet type and the suspension was maneuvered electrically.

It is said that the engine was non-working and built just for the show.

Which happens to be the father of this
1986 Suzuki Nuda:

quote:

Had the engine from a GSX-R 750, chain driven 2 wheels, also hub steering.

Which happened to be the grandfather of this:
GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
So many concept bikes of the future from 80's to today have the horizontal front fork look. If the engineers ever figure out a way to make that happen and get longevity expect all kinds of goofy poo poo on the road.

About the closest that's ever really hit the street that I know about is the all electric Tron bike (all yours for a cool $55k). Who knows what sort of lifespan that's even good for.

http://www.gizmag.com/electric-lightcycle-parker-brothers/19897/picture/143170/

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Hub-center steering's an actual thing though.

There was a HCS cafe racer on bikeexif a while ago too. Apparently HCS gets rid of suspension travel problems when your bike is leaned all the way over and the forks are compressed. It comes at the cost of feeling "connected" to the road through the forks, though, since the handlebar setup is way more complicated with HCS.

They look rad as hell, though. I'd ride the hell out of that first suzuki up there.

An observer fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 6, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheScott2K posted:

Publicity stills of the new Ninja 300. That is a fine looking little bike.

I've been giving some thought to downsizing from the big thou lately, might be worth jumping on one of these when they show up at dealers.

e: Apparently the curb weight is 172kg w/o ABS, 174kg with :psyduck: She a bit of a fatty.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 6, 2012

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How do they manage that? The 650 without ABS is 180kg. Is an engine with half the displacement really not more than 8kg lighter?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

There's only so much weight you can get rid of that smaller displacement bikes just are naturally fat.

Think of them as cute chubby babies.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That's why big singles rule. Ktm 690 Duke? 150kg without fuel.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Coredump posted:

That's why big singles rule. Ktm 690 Duke? 150kg without fuel.

My Savage Bobber I did a couple years ago was my favorite single. I loved the sound and feel of that thumper. It was light as hell too. Stock it weighed 160kg but with all those super heavy harley style fenders front and rear I must took at least another 30kg of weight off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please quote all weights in Stone. tia

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please quote all weights in Stone. tia

It was about 23 stone. Sorry for the confusion.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Whatever you weigh them in, your stones must turn to gravel after some distance on a big single.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

What is/was this and how do I get one

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Synonamess Botch posted:

What is/was this and how do I get one

Stellan Egeland's Harrier:
http://www.seservice.se/mainpage_en.htm

Staying on topic, this is quite old but I love this concept bike:
http://www.naulapaa.com/ram_01.html

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

I would have thought the tires would catch fire and burn

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

BlackLaser posted:

Very Well Done Bike

Is that a SV?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ringo R posted:

Staying on topic, this is quite old but I love this concept bike:
http://www.naulapaa.com/ram_01.html
It looks like a happy beetle. :3:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

TheFonz posted:

Is that a SV?

The kickstand, frame, wheels and engine aren't SV. It looks like a single or P-Twin. Ninja?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pope Mobile posted:

The kickstand, frame, wheels and engine aren't SV. It looks like a single or P-Twin. Ninja?

08+ Ninja 250

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ola posted:

Whatever you weigh them in, your stones must turn to gravel after some distance on a big single.

I am always impressed at Ola's grasp of puns and wit, especially for someone whose first language isn't English.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It took me a minute before I noticed Layer Dan at the end of the bar.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Babby's First Gixxer.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Babby's First Gixxer.

I NEED one of these to corrupt my best friends 4 year old.

My baby touring bike, out in the world. 4930 mile roadtrip, complete.

Backov fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 7, 2012

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

08+ Ninja 250

Some dudes gf caught him cheating and burned it to the ground.

Old, but :stonk:

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/hdrcgb-beer-tent/66134-beware-tail-dragon-if-ever-nth-carolina-usa.html#post622021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
5 commercials in, and T-Mobile finally dubbed in the sound of a Ducati over footage of a Ducati riding around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aVBFyQPkv4

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Trying to figure this out, the guy who made the post is on the red bike? The pictures make it look like he's way over in the wrong lane.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Looks that way to me too. Was he really in the wrong lane and blaming the other dude for crashing into him?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He's on the right side of the yellow, eh?

I mean I know people hate harley's here but hate the one that hit him. He's clearly on his side of the road.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 7, 2012

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you're right, perspective playing tricks on my eyeballs.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
The lack of gear after spending all that money on a badge and chrome is just mind boggling.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Bondematt posted:

The lack of gear after spending all that money on a badge and chrome is just mind boggling.
Those look like actual DOT approved half-helmets. It could be a lot worse.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Yeah, what threw me off (har har) was the first picture where you can't see the yellow line for some reason.

Weird.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Bondematt posted:

Don't worry, I'm sore their leathery skin, resulting from years on the hard, open road, protected them just fine.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Bondematt posted:

Lack of gear regardless of amount spent is always mind-boggling, but in this specific case I wonder which of his traumatic injuries could have been prevented. The broken back for one, but I wonder about the ribs. Also I'm surprised at the apparent lack of serious skin injuries

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Schlieren posted:

Also I'm surprised at the apparent lack of serious skin injuries

Me too. Every picture showing one of them hitting the ground you can see they land on bare skin.

Random stuff from tumblr:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That looks like it's going to be a hell of a fun night.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Frankston posted:

That looks like it's going to be a hell of a fun firefight.

Edited to account for shower of embers into the plush super-flammable van interior.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
What is the product they're advertising? Flames?

e: oh

darkhand fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Schlieren posted:

Lack of gear regardless of amount spent is always mind-boggling, but in this specific case I wonder which of his traumatic injuries could have been prevented. The broken back for one, but I wonder about the ribs. Also I'm surprised at the apparent lack of serious skin injuries

I don't understand how this could have helped prevent a broken back? Do you think a leather jacket with armor would have kept things straight when he racked his whole body across the bars?