Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Miso Beno posted:

I think he's telling us to do that before we lose it's super saturated goodness.

I'm sure Velvia 50 would work in a pinch, but are there any super-saturated colour-negative films kicking around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

I'm sure Velvia 50 would work in a pinch, but are there any super-saturated colour-negative films kicking around?

The closest thing we have to a super saturated negative film is Ektar.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I've only shot Ektar once, but it seemed like it had the inflexibility and contrast of slide film without the colour quality.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

aliencowboy posted:

I've only shot Ektar once, but it seemed like it had the inflexibility and contrast of slide film without the colour quality.

This is my interpretation as well. It is notable for its strong earthtones and deep blues in the same way that the Fuji slide line is noted for its deep white/blue/green/purple tones. However, it is really inflexible in its exposure. If you overexpose it becomes fire-engine red and cyan-blue and neon yellow with really strong browns, if you underexpose it turns yellow and then brown.

It's a really, really temperamental film that you need good exposure to get good results from. Get it right and it's a nice high-saturation low-grain film, miss it and it's garish or it color-shifts considerably.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Anti-Derivative posted:

Do you guys turn off the colour control (in the configuration menu) like this guy does?
http://www.lomography.com/magazine/tipster/2011/03/17/lets-do-our-own-scanning-epson-v500

When i turn it off it bugs out the histogram settings on all the previews and I'm sort of thinking that it isn't worth the trouble!

In my experience the default histogram settings for Epson scan are universally horrible anyway. I only scan B&W but it ALWAYS wants to clip the histogram more than i consider reasonable, i understand that clipping the whites and blacks a little gives a better looking photo but Epson scan clips too much.
Then it automatically selects a output range of 18-210, why is that? What is wrong with 0-255? Also it automatically always want to apply a soft curve when i want it to output as normal (and adjust the curves in photoshop).

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

aliencowboy posted:

For what it's worth, it's a lot easier and cheaper to have print film processed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pseudonordic posted:

You need PMs or AIM or something. I need your help!

Ah crap, I was away at Electric Picnic for ages, just got back now, what's your AIM again?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ah crap, I was away at Electric Picnic for ages, just got back now, what's your AIM again?

pseudonordic, same as here.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
Just dropped a roll off at the printers I've had mixed luck with. $7 for developing charges, $11 for scanning. Plus they wont cut my film!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Miso Beno posted:

Just dropped a roll off at the printers I've had mixed luck with. $7 for developing charges, $11 for scanning. Plus they wont cut my film!

In Italy I pay € 2 to develop a single roll (either BW or Color) and the quality's great. $ 7 seems a lot.. Or perhaps your pics are much more awesome than mine!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, I pay about $2.50 per roll ($2.75 for a 135x36 roll) for developing, but I do my own scanning. $7 does seem expensive.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

maxmars posted:

Or perhaps your pics are much more awesome than mine!

Doubtful!

Its so god damned expensive to develop C41 I may have to do it at home. :(

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Miso Beno posted:

Doubtful!

where do you live? i've never paid more than $2 to develop a roll of C41. is walgreens the only minilab option you have? around me i have target, cvs, walmart etc that all do C41 for almost nothing

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Miso Beno posted:

Doubtful!

Call up Capital Hill 60 minute photo. They might do mail in processing. I pay $3 a roll for C41 and $5 for E6.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
In order to comply with the thread title, I got a Bessa R.

On paper it's a good complement for my FEDs: a more modern set of features, completely manual & not dependent on batteries (unless you need a light meter), very bright viewfinder.

FED-2 is still king for overall sturdiness, awesome looks! and loudness (it's very very quiet).

I don't know why, but Bessa Rs are not readily available on the bay, had to look around more than I wanted to.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

That's why I love carrying around a Graflex 2x3 Crown Graphic, you might as well be bringing out a view camera with a flash lamp at that point.

That's what I love about carrying my 4X5 Crown Graphic. People will pass you, then stop like they hit a wall, snap their necks around, then gawk. It's a lot of fun and no one ever says no to a picture.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

whereismyshoe posted:

where do you live? i've never paid more than $2 to develop a roll of C41. is walgreens the only minilab option you have? around me i have target, cvs, walmart etc that all do C41 for almost nothing

I'll see if my local Target does film, I'm never going to a Walgreens again, my closest Costco doesn't do developing anymore, and I try to avoid Walmart whenever possible.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I hate all of you. My closest 1-hour place is a walmart that's a 2 hour drive away. The only place in town that will even mail film out is another walmart, and they have a blanket WE WILL NOT RETURN YOUR NEGATIVES policy.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

maxmars posted:

I don't know why, but Bessa Rs are not readily available on the bay, had to look around more than I wanted to.

It's because they are too awesome, seriously.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I wouldn't trust my film to a supermarket. What's wrong with sending out somewhere like NCPS or Dwayne's?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

My local lab charges $4 for C-41 (no b&w or e-6) which isn't too bad. They charge something like $10 to scan the roll and all you get is 1000px wide images, it's pretty terrible so I scan it myself.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Reichstag posted:

It's because they are too awesome, seriously.

I hadn't heard of these but they sound pretty rad. On the subject on rangefinders, I wish Nikon SPs were affordable.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Spime Wrangler posted:

The only place in town that will even mail film out is another walmart, and they have a blanket WE WILL NOT RETURN YOUR NEGATIVES policy.

Say what? :psyduck:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jesus you guys live near sucky dev labs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Yeah read back in the thread a bit, it's ridiculous.

Also, I'm FINALLY, after a couple years, happy with my color scans. I still get absolute poo poo with Lomo 400, but Portra is smack on the money at long last.

A year-or-so-old scan of mine:

Kelly by iantuten, on Flickr

A scan from yesterday:

Tweeting by iantuten, on Flickr

It's nice seeing progress :allears:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

dukeku posted:

I wouldn't trust my film to a supermarket. What's wrong with sending out somewhere like NCPS or Dwayne's?

I've actually been meaning to ask the 'room if there's a go-to mail-in service. Those both look stellar.

And yeah... what the hell, walmart.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

My local lab's scans suck and so do mine (CanoScan 8400F).
:(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

My local lab's scans suck and so do mine (CanoScan 8400F).
:(

My girlfriend has one of those that she uses to scan her Holga pictures.

I... honestly have no idea how good of a scanner it is because, well, she uses it to scan her Holga pictures.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

QPZIL posted:

Also, I'm FINALLY, after a couple years, happy with my color scans. I still get absolute poo poo with Lomo 400

YOU DON'T SAY!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Yeah read back in the thread a bit, it's ridiculous.

Also, I'm FINALLY, after a couple years, happy with my color scans. I still get absolute poo poo with Lomo 400, but Portra is smack on the money at long last.

A year-or-so-old scan of mine:

Kelly by iantuten, on Flickr

I really like this.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You could always give the home processing a go:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109267-REG/Tetenal_T109306_C_41_Press_Kit_for.html

15 rolls for $20, not too shabby.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Yeah... I bought a roll of Velvia 50 to shoot in NYC and now I'm trying to get it processed. Dodd Camera'll send it to their Cleveland location for like $12 and 2 weeks. Walmart'll send it wherever they send it for like $7-8 and 3 weeks. Bleh. I can't find anywhere in Dayton that'll do it, though someone mentioned they used to do it at "that building downtown on Patterson with the big camera on it." No idea if there is anywhere in Cincinnati or Columbus, but that's still a pain in the rear end unless I'm planning on being there all day or something.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

QPZIL posted:

A scan from yesterday:

Tweeting by iantuten, on Flickr

It's nice seeing progress :allears:

So you've used drat near every medium format system out there, how's that Hasselblad compare?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

eggsovereasy posted:

So you've used drat near every medium format system out there, how's that Hasselblad compare?

Easier and better than all of them.

Size and reliability of the Bronica with the sexy glass quality of the Pentax.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

QPZIL posted:

Easier and better than all of them.

Size and reliability of the Bronica with the sexy glass quality of the Pentax.

I'm not going to lie, I was kind of hoping you'd be putting it in the sell thread for the deal prices you normally list stuff for :blush:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

eggsovereasy posted:

I'm not going to lie, I was kind of hoping you'd be putting it in the sell thread for the deal prices you normally list stuff for :blush:

What, the Hasselblad? Shiiiiit son, this is going to my grandkids one day.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

QPZIL posted:

If your grandkids are still interested in shooting film, i'll nominate you for parent of the century

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 7, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

QPZIL posted:

Ha!

I kind of wish I'd just switched to a Hasselblad when my SQ body died a few months back, but another body was less than $200 and I have several lenses and backs so I figure I'll just stick with it for a while.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

whereismyshoe posted:

If your grandkids are still interested in shooting film, i'll nominate you for parent of the century

By then, Lomography and Impossible Project will have collaborated to create a digital back that uploads the image straight from the camera to the neurocloud where all of your friends can see it instantly in all 4 dimensions.

eggsovereasy posted:

Ha!

I kind of wish I'd just switched to a Hasselblad when my SQ body died a few months back, but another body was less than $200 and I have several lenses and backs so I figure I'll just stick with it for a while.

Honestly, of all the systems I've tried, I'd rank the SQ-Ai as #2 after the Hasselblad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

QPZIL posted:

By then, Lomography and Impossible Project will have collaborated to create a digital back that uploads the image straight from the camera to the neurocloud where all of your friends can see it instantly in all 4 dimensions.

But will we be able to develop Kodachrome??