Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

TremorX posted:

Is there an ESC in that Blitz? What motor is it? ESE or RTR? etc., etc.

RTR version with the orange body.

I don't have an esc for it. But it does come with the rolling chassis, 3 bodies (the stock one, a painted stock one, and the chevy silverado body. a complete set of goosebumps tires, the stock steering servo, and a lipo battery with the brand new 17.5 brushless motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

tuna posted:

I'll answer any questions but I'm entirely new to the whole brushless thing and buggy thing, my previous 2 cars have been 1/8 nitro truggies (HyperST, Losi 8eight 2.0). So most of my answers will sound like "yeah its fast and turns real well".

They forgot to include the oils in this kit so I'll be searching shops in LA for suspension/diff oils. Other than that, I'm still waiting for batteries to be delivered.

Electric 1/8th is a blast. The cars are faster than hell and have gobs of instant torque. Depending on track layout they're oftentimes faster than nitro cars... Not to mention WAY easier to maintain. Bummer on the fluids but honestly most of the time the kit fluids are pretty crappy, and might not be what you need for a setup that works on your track.

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I would be very interested in that RC8 you got bud. Maybe we could trade for your roller for my RTR? (with motor in pieces *cough *cough*)

Are you interested in the gas or electric car? I'm not really looking for any trades at this point, mainly trying to thin the herd lol. Tried to send a PM, doesn't appear you have them. email me at my SA username @ the gmails

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
:woop: my buggy is finally here.

Can't wait to start putting it together.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Those 1/8th electic buggies are fantastic. I got to wheel one 2 weeks ago and loved it.

In other news, the St. Louis trailing group that I started had our first meet yesterday. It went great, especially for a first time get together! My truck is the blue cherokee.

EDIT - Here is a video short from the trail run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AadxMi4gcqQ

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 27, 2012

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
man that's awesome, what kind of water proofing have you done to your scx10? I really have to bring my scx10 home to get some waterproofing done.

reminds me, before I went home to Canada I went to a drift competition here in Doha with my Tamiya TA-05 VDF.

I won second place while a friend of mine with a golden VDF won first.

Before this I used a Tamiya TT01 on pavement, the VDF is soooo much better.

Small vid of practice on the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd4YizaT248

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Oh help me god. I just ordered a 1/12th pan car.

:ohdear:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sweet drifting video, I could watch that poo poo forever....it's very hypnotizing.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

HoWSeR posted:

reminds me, before I went home to Canada I went to a drift competition here in Doha with my Tamiya TA-05 VDF.

I won second place while a friend of mine with a golden VDF won first.

Before this I used a Tamiya TT01 on pavement, the VDF is soooo much better.

Small vid of practice on the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd4YizaT248
Honest to who, I looked for the 'like' button on this post. Drifting is way more fun to build/drive than it is to just watch. I find myself at a stage where I basically find scale builds and 1/5 most satisfying out of my hobby/job. I'm pretty much over racing sadly. I'll get back into it if a carpet track would ever end up opening and staying open locally.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

needknees posted:

Oh help me god. I just ordered a 1/12th pan car.

:ohdear:

woah how many RCs do you have now?

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Sweet drifting video, I could watch that poo poo forever....it's very hypnotizing.

Haw yeah drifting is very chill for me, its the reason I got into this hobby. Really nice drift cars are not cheap but man they are so worth it. Although 3racing are soon releasing what could be a really great cheap drift chassis for around 150 bucks.

http://os.3racing.hk/carkits_web.php?carkits_web_key=18

Looks like a cheaper version of the MST FS-01D. or a updated clone of the Tamiya TA03F

oh Somewhat Heroic, I have to agree with yeah, I enjoy everything about RC drifting and the level of detail some people put into their drift cars is amazing. Hell have you seen some of the scale tracks? its nothing short of awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzTZKKrI1kQ

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 28, 2012

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

HoWSeR posted:

woah how many RCs do you have now?

Too freakin many :(. At this point I'm trying to downsize (and clearly not succeeding!) and just focus on racing a few cars. Want to get down to just nitro and electric 1/8th buggy, 2wd 1/10th buggy, and now 1/12th pancar...

Still have those RC8.2s (both gas and electric) for sale! I have a TLR 22T on the chopping block as well.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Well, how much for the nitro?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Well, my hands are blistered and sore, my back aches from terrible posture and I think I invented a few new curse words. This can only mean one thing! My kit is now a roller!

The kit was fairly well laid out and easy to make. There were only a few hiccups:

Servo saver threaded itself instantly. Too thin threads in aluminium is stupid and poo poo, also the spring was a tough motherfucker. Will have to order another.
It has a lot of screwing into plastic which can split/thread/get stuck easily. Several places on the kit split or had embedded nuts "spin free" when they should've been locked. This was loving annoying and stupid.

Now I'm still waiting for batteries before I can begin soldering and wiring the thing up, any day now.

More (of the same) pictures just because:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are 4 door jeep jk bodies available for the honcho ?

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
lookin good tuna, friend here at our track has one with LRP electrics, its the reason we all went and got 1/8 buggies. still putting mine together.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Well, how much for the nitro?

Don't want to keep cluttering up this thread with sale talk so I posted the cars in SAmart - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504086

Tuna - surprised to hear that about your kit. The Durango DEX210 I have seems to be extremely high quality (other than the ballcups :argh: ) and the plastics are great. I bet it will drive incredibly well though, little build hiccups aside.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

jonathan posted:

Are 4 door jeep jk bodies available for the honcho ?

Yes they are. Proline sells a JK 2 door body to fit the Dingo wheelbase, and a 4 Door Unlimited body for the Honcho wheelbase.

That 1/8th scale looks like a beaut. If I ever decide to race again I should just bite the bullet and buy one of those things.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yes they are. Proline sells a JK 2 door body to fit the Dingo wheelbase, and a 4 Door Unlimited body for the Honcho wheelbase.

That 1/8th scale looks like a beaut. If I ever decide to race again I should just bite the bullet and buy one of those things.

Just don't sell your scx10 for it. :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Updated my SAmart thread, forgot to list the other BRAND NEW IN BOX car I was selling. If anyone is looking to get into 4x4sct I've got a freakin deal for you... New, un-built Durango DESC410R and a nearly new Trinity Revtech 4800kV 4 pole motor.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504086

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

HoWSeR posted:

Just don't sell your scx10 for it. :(

I won't be doing that again. It's been a ton of fun starting this trailing club. We already have our next big meet scheduled and look to have 10-15 guys/trucks. I also just put an order in with my body guy....for another rusty Jeep Comanche! This time he's going to do it yellow with a black mismatched hood and hacked off fender flares (to fit my big tires) with rust showing throughout.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

needknees posted:

Tuna - surprised to hear that about your kit. The Durango DEX210 I have seems to be extremely high quality (other than the ballcups :argh: ) and the plastics are great. I bet it will drive incredibly well though, little build hiccups aside.

Yeah they are generally really small problems, nothing that can't be worked around, fortunately!

I completed the wiring/soldering on it tonight as the batteries arrived. Did a quick electronics test in the living room, car shot into the couch instantly as the Tx needed throttle reversing. Test status: Success.

The wiring routes for this car are kind of awkward. The position of the Rx is pretty stupid in my opinion as its about 5mm away from the center diff spur. considering you'll perhaps want some access to the multiple thin wires coming out of it. Not ideal, but workable.

Quick picture of my progre.... wait... :crossarms:

I kind of want to try it, but it will break the suspension, arms, spoiler, hearts.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

My florida vacation is finally coming up this weekend. We have a condo rented out south of Tampa for a weekend. In between the boozing I plan on packing my Honcho for some killer beach/sand bar running. I'm going to attempt to make a very nice video. Can't wait!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

This is what it's all about. Amazing cars, control, and even track. Love it.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
just about done, its a fun kit to build. There have been problems with the first run of the kit but they have been all addressed on the rctech thread.

front wing flexing posted:

This is what it's all about. Amazing cars, control, and even track. Love it.

I know, wish I had something like that locally.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

HoWSeR posted:

just about done, its a fun kit to build. There have been problems with the first run of the kit but they have been all addressed on the rctech thread.

I know, wish I had something like that locally.

Cool stuff, newly built 1/8 kit buddy :c00l::respek::c00l:

What tires are you going to be running?

I ran mine in a local park recently, and even though there's supposed to be a drought on right now I hit a hidden puddle, making it instantly filthy. :(

Also I give no shits about painting the car well. (yet)

Pinion gear somehow worked itself loose and with the DEX design, this meant that it bore a deep circle into my hard battery pack. I was warned to use the hardpacks and it instantly paid off:

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

tuna posted:

sup bro, I'm using AKA CrossBrace Med Evo Premounts.

lovely deals about the pinion, group of us going 1/8 because our friends DEX408, he had diff issues but nothing about a pinion eating one of his lipos. :(

Just about done with the EB48, just waiting on the metal servo horn and pinion.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

tuna posted:

I ran mine in a local park recently, and even though there's supposed to be a drought on right now I hit a hidden puddle, making it instantly filthy. :(

Also I give no shits about painting the car well. (yet)

Pinion gear somehow worked itself loose and with the DEX design, this meant that it bore a deep circle into my hard battery pack. I was warned to use the hardpacks and it instantly paid off:

Sucks about the battery... always always always use blue loctite on your pinion grub screw and really crank down on that sucker. The torque of 1/8th is pretty insane.

Also please fix your camber :ohdear:. Aim for ~ -1 to -2 degrees of camber. You've got positive camber right now, that will really affect how the car handles.

HoWSeR I'm insanely jealous. Definitely picking a tekno car up in the near future... looks like it's going to be an rear end kicker.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

needknees posted:

Sucks about the battery... always always always use blue loctite on your pinion grub screw and really crank down on that sucker. The torque of 1/8th is pretty insane.

Also please fix your camber :ohdear:. Aim for ~ -1 to -2 degrees of camber. You've got positive camber right now, that will really affect how the car handles.

HoWSeR I'm insanely jealous. Definitely picking a tekno car up in the near future... looks like it's going to be an rear end kicker.

Haha Thanks man, its thanks to you that I now have this buggy. Worst thing is its so hot right now here that I need to wait for a few months to even try it on the track :(

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

needknees posted:

Don't worry the camber has already been changed. That picture has the car in stock/middle position for everything, which is no longer the case now that I've run it once or twice. I've changed to a 23t pinion (60t spur) and it still has pleeenty of power for it, even with a 70% charge limit set on the ESC, however I'm going to be trying new tires soon because these are useless and bald from my loving around.

The problem with the pinion keeps happening. I'm using locktite on the grub screw but it still comes loose every once in a while. The problem is that the grub screw makes contact right on the very edge of the motor shaft, which is now a tiny bit mangled even because of slippage. Eventually it locks down tight but then I go and change pinion and it starts all over again :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So, anyone here like R/C? And crawlers? And Lego?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

InitialDave posted:

Retrofit all that poo poo into the unimog and you got a deal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

front wing flexing posted:

Retrofit all that poo poo into the unimog and you got a deal.
This is what the alternative build is for the kit:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 6, 2012

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

InitialDave posted:

That's awesome, though the issue with Lego R/C is the motors are totally gutless. Now if some creative person would build one with a nice brushless setup, that would be pretty sweet.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Sloppy posted:

That's awesome, though the issue with Lego R/C is the motors are totally gutless. Now if some creative person would build one with a nice brushless setup, that would be pretty sweet.

The Lego motors are plenty powerful enough to split their gears in half. I've gone down that road, it ends with the purchase of an actual R/C car.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
needknees: I think you and I are the same, Just as i finished ordering the new 3racing Sakura Sport cs Drift car I saw this.....

I could not stop myself from ordering it, it just looks to awesome.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

HoWSeR posted:

needknees: I think you and I are the same, Just as i finished ordering the new 3racing Sakura Sport cs Drift car I saw this.....

I could not stop myself from ordering it, it just looks to awesome.

Haha it is a sickness... I swear! I just put my name on the last Tekno car in our LHS... damnit.

Crawlers would be a bunch of fun to mess around with but that's just another whole segment of the hobby I know nothing about, lol. Kinda like this!

Can't wait to get over to the (not very local) carpet track and start putting some laps on this thing! CRC Gen Xi, my first onroad car :). Figured I might as well jump straight into the carpet racing deep end with 1/12th pan car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

needknees posted:

Can't wait to get over to the (not very local) carpet track and start putting some laps on this thing! CRC Gen Xi, my first onroad car :). Figured I might as well jump straight into the carpet racing deep end with 1/12th pan car.
Carpet racing is a wonderful kind of drug that ruined me on all other forms of racing. Now we don't have a carpet track and I make it to the electric off road track 3-4 times a year. It's got me on the fence of selling all but my baja, honcho, cup racer, and drifter to buy a 1/5 FG competition sedan or formula one.
Later ITT: watch me do something expensive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really wish someone would make a carpet short course track. I think that would be the best of all worlds

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

needknees posted:

Haha it is a sickness... I swear! I just put my name on the last Tekno car in our LHS... damnit.

Crawlers would be a bunch of fun to mess around with but that's just another whole segment of the hobby I know nothing about, lol. Kinda like this!

Great sickness to have, until you check your credit card. :cry:

You will have so much fun building that Tekno, still waiting on my pinions and metal horn; should have it ready to go for the track on Saturday. Crawlers are just another part of the hobby that just takes some light reading to get into. Ordered pretty much everything for the R1 to go more of a bashing/rock racing style and still crawl pretty good, it will even have 4wheel steering. Just need to find a used mamba max pro for cheap.

Also that Pan car looks awesome!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I love pan cars. I just don't quite get why pan cars are so unbelievabley expensive. An AWD full suspension car from tamiya is cheaper than a bit of FR4 and four molded bits of plastic.

It's the porsche thing. You pay more as you get less and less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really wish someone would make a carpet short course track. I think that would be the best of all worlds

I've seen indoor ones but the track looked wood and plastic. The video was more entertaining than most dirt SC vids.