Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Imagine owned so hard back when it first came out. I was the only person with an Empusa and so many people got creeped out when I would run her up to them and just sit there. Empusa wrecked faces at lower levels, too, so it was practical as well. I still have the little fusion guide I made to beeline for them. I love those scaly, hooved, cat lady things.

Man I remember when it first came out too. I managed to get a Jack Frost hat from a random drop and wore it everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Morpheus posted:

I'm not saying that Kanji is the best character in mechanics, I am saying that he is a tough guy who knits and hits things with a folding chair, and therefore he is the best character period.

This is the best way to look at anything.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Imagine owned so hard back when it first came out. I was the only person with an Empusa and so many people got creeped out when I would run her up to them and just sit there. Empusa wrecked faces at lower levels, too, so it was practical as well. I still have the little fusion guide I made to beeline for them. I love those scaly, hooved, cat lady things.

Those things are creepy. Real cool dudes roll with a Mizuchi that has been rebirthed way too many times and with a bunch of Ma-Dynes and Spins. :colbert:

Man, Imagine had such a fun fusion system. You could just create some loving insanely overpowered poo poo. And then you could take it to PVP and stomp on people forever. Or at least until you got chain-Megidolaoned.

drat it, now i want to play it again.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Sadly Yosuke is one of the best all-around characters for combat. Has good physical and magical stats, fastest character, a decent party-wide buff, and even a good single-person heal spell.

On the other hand, he has some of the lowest damage output in the game, the worst buff, and Diarama is worse than just using items for single-target healing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Lowest? Outside of the MC and Yukiko, I don't think anyone hits harder spell-wise than Yosuke (he even gets a nice Physical too, albeit with no Power Charge). There's basically no reason to not clean up every random battle with Magarudyne if no one is immune to Wind, and most endgame enemies weren't.

There's also really no such thing as a "bad" buff.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Youske was pretty great for Dekaja.

Though the problem with using him as a mage was his SP pool was middling at best. While he hit hard he didn't couldn't do nothing but cast. Luckily he had good physicals to make up for it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Morpheus posted:

I'm not saying that Kanji is the best character in mechanics, I am saying that he is a tough guy who knits and hits things with a folding chair, and therefore he is the best character period.

Everyone should use Kanji. :colbert:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Stat wise, Yosuke is identical to Gale from DDS, high everything, low luck.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Lowest? Outside of the MC and Yukiko, I don't think anyone hits harder spell-wise than Yosuke (he even gets a nice Physical too, albeit with no Power Charge). There's basically no reason to not clean up every random battle with Magarudyne if no one is immune to Wind, and most endgame enemies weren't.

There's also really no such thing as a "bad" buff.

Against trash, damage dealt with spells barely matters since most enemies will go down with an all out attack. Against bosses, Yosuke is only a little bit better than Naoto and Teddie damage-wise and significantly worse than Kanji, Chie and Yukiko.

Masukukaja is probably a waste of a turn to cast. This isn't Nocturne, where bosses have 2-4 actions, a miss removes 3 of them and it lasts until the boss uses Dekaja. Boosting accuracy/evasion relies way to heavily on being lucky and even in the best case scenario you might gain a turn or two by not needing to heal over the course of the entire fight.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

MrAristocrates posted:

Everyone should use Kanji. :colbert:

Kanji can't Dragon Kick Galactic Punt a Shadow's rear end to the Milky Way. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

W.T. Fits posted:

Kanji can't Dragon Kick Galactic Punt a Shadow's rear end to the Milky Way. :colbert:

Use both of them. :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

WrightOfWay posted:

Against trash, damage dealt with spells barely matters since most enemies will go down with an all out attack. Against bosses, Yosuke is only a little bit better than Naoto and Teddie damage-wise and significantly worse than Kanji, Chie and Yukiko.

Masukukaja is probably a waste of a turn to cast. This isn't Nocturne, where bosses have 2-4 actions, a miss removes 3 of them and it lasts until the boss uses Dekaja. Boosting accuracy/evasion relies way to heavily on being lucky and even in the best case scenario you might gain a turn or two by not needing to heal over the course of the entire fight.
I definitely had my rear end saved several times thanks to evasions, especially on Yukiko during fights. The bonus boss especially would have been next to impossible without it.

Also to get an all out attack you have to knock everyone down in the first place, which in the end is probably going to use up more SP than just blasting them with one Magarudyne (or Magidyne since Yukiko is basically a nuke) and cleaning up the rest with a few regular attacks.

Chie is honestly kind of bad, in that she only has one attack (a Power Charged God Hand). She'd be be close to perfect if she learned some -dyne spells and Matarukaja, though. Thankfully, it seems like Kanji in The Golden is picking up that slack. As it is she's more or less better than Kanji in vanilla P4, but her lack of versatility is really annoying.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

MrAristocrates posted:

Use both of them. :colbert:

I used everyone and rotated them out after level ups. :smugbert:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's been said before, but Kanji and Chie could really benefit from swapping movesets. Chie's actually fairly well-rounded stat-wise, but her ice skills top out at Bufula/Mabufu. And Kanji has Maziodyne and Matarukaja and Elec Amp but absolutely no goddamn SP. Either way, I played through enough to use everyone.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah I rolled with Chie Yukiko and Teddie and obliterated everyone. It was kinda awkward at first having two healer/buffers, but with MC and chie doing all the attacking(with yukiko chiming in from time to time with her crazy damage) I felt really strong with that team.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

YggiDee posted:

It's been said before, but Kanji and Chie could really benefit from swapping movesets. Chie's actually fairly well-rounded stat-wise, but her ice skills top out at Bufula/Mabufu. And Kanji has Maziodyne and Matarukaja and Elec Amp but absolutely no goddamn SP. Either way, I played through enough to use everyone.

I'm pretty sure Chie actually has less SP than Kanji does by the endgame. :v:

It was still never a problem for me because Kanji mostly just cast Matarukaja and Primal Force. Power Charge in Golden will add a lot to that, though...

The GIG posted:

I usually do this too. It doesn't actually take that long due to the way experience scales, but sometimes I'll skip it and just level up Kanji/Teddie/Chie if I just want to get through a playthrough since I know I'm just going to use that party anyway.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 6, 2012

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Nate RFB posted:

Chie is honestly kind of bad, in that she only has one attack (a Power Charged God Hand). She'd be be close to perfect if she learned some -dyne spells and Matarukaja, though. Thankfully, it seems like Kanji in The Golden is picking up that slack. As it is she's more or less better than Kanji in vanilla P4, but her lack of versatility is really annoying.

Chie can get Bufudyne actualy, though only from doing Bike Dates. ... Which is something. :shobon:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kanji is going to be a beast in Golden now that he has power charge, literally every boss will die from Primal Force in like three turns.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The GIG posted:

'sup. Level up everyone supremacy. :smugteddie:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

And to add to the Chie vs. Kanji debate, I think Chie is more useful for dungeon crawling with her multi enemy attacks. Slap something that raises critical hits on her and bring the pain on a once mores from one dude out of 5 falling down.

Not to mention she gets Dragon Hustle in Golden which is a full party Heat Riser :getin:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GIG posted:

Not to mention she gets Dragon Hustle in Golden which is a full party Heat Riser :getin:

Seriously? Welp, no reason for her to ever leave my party then.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Seriously? Welp, no reason for her to ever leave my party then.

You have to max her S.Link to get it though. Also it pretty much kills her SP bar, but it's Chie so you really aren't losing much in exchange for being beast for the next 3 turns.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I am preemptively disappointed that Dragon Hustle won't feature a Kung Fu Hustle esque dance animation

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
I have no idea what Lord of Vermilion is (apparently some sort of Japanese arcade CCG?), but it's adding some... interesting versions of Persona characters in its latest update.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

YggiDee posted:

Chie Power Charge

Then Kanji Mataru

Break everything. Mataru will wear off on a charge turn.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spiffo posted:

Chie Power Charge

Then Kanji Mataru

Break everything. Mataru will wear off on a charge turn.

You forgot using Rakunda. Everything is going to die. :allears:

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

gtrmp posted:

I have no idea what Lord of Vermilion is (apparently some sort of Japanese arcade CCG?), but it's adding some... interesting versions of Persona characters in its latest update.

Why the hell is Aigis using Messiah? Could she even use him in FES?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So here's some P4 Golden screenshots in English. I think they're the first translated ones.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Dogbutt posted:

Why the hell is Aigis using Messiah? Could she even use him in FES?

She's supposedly able to according to the Wikia, I don't see why you'd carry Orpheus for so long to do it, though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

LightningKimba posted:

She's supposedly able to according to the Wikia, I don't see why you'd carry Orpheus for so long to do it, though.

You can get Orpheus from Shuffle time in the Answer.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, I've finished P4 now and, just as I thought, it killed my desire for P4: the golden. Seriously, after all the grinding I just did only to have the boss kill me with hamon right before the forced death followed by another round of grinding gave me my fill of Atlus bullshit for a while.

I suppose I might try Imagine again. I bought a bunch of credits when they were having a massive sale and only just got past the tutorial missions. It seemed just about like any other MMO I've seen. Sure, it's not the best, but it's SMT with other SMT fans.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
So I'm doing a hard mode run on P3P and I've never actually taken the time to checl out the Monad. How do I unlock it and what does it get me, aside from a good place to grind? I'm currently level 45 in late October.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DeathBySpoon posted:

So I'm doing a hard mode run on P3P and I've never actually taken the time to checl out the Monad. How do I unlock it and what does it get me, aside from a good place to grind? I'm currently level 45 in late October.

You have to defeat the Reaper after getting Elizabeth's quest and give her the Bloody Button it drops. Once down there, you can fight Elizabeth.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Playing Devil Survivor, which I started years ago but am finishing now. Two questions; Any advice for beating Belberith? Like, specific demons I should get? I have a maxed out magic stat and some vitality for Anti-most, but get absolutely shredded by his global attacks.

Also, is there any new game+ type things?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Use something with flight/phantasim and stick it on your MC, give him drain Elec and Ice so Belberith heals him and just jump past the cultists to his platform and Force Dance him to death. Have the rest of the team go blitz any skill cracks you want then don't worry about them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Also, is there any new game+ type things?

You unlock some new bosses and fusions in newgame+ as well as an ultimate one right before the end. And you keep all your demons and money I think (It's been a while since I played the original non OC version of DS which I'm almost positive has a different newgame+ transfer system)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The main character can also move one more space IIRC. You also don't incur a penalty for defeating enemies at a lower level than yourself, which makes grinding a lot easier (as in, you can actually grind as opposed to not being able to do so at all the first time through).

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

You have to defeat the Reaper after getting Elizabeth's quest and give her the Bloody Button it drops. Once down there, you can fight Elizabeth.

Is there any other quest I need to look out for to unlock that quest, or will it show up on its own? Kind of like how you only get the next "Bring me a Persona that knows X" quest when you've completed the previous one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DeathBySpoon posted:

Is there any other quest I need to look out for to unlock that quest, or will it show up on its own? Kind of like how you only get the next "Bring me a Persona that knows X" quest when you've completed the previous one.

Nope. You'll get the request in January, by the way. Also, I'm an idiot, you can only fight Elizabeth in NG+. :hurr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Nope. You'll get the request in January, by the way. Also, I'm an idiot, you can only fight Elizabeth in NG+. :hurr:

So in that case, is it better to just ignore it on my first run and try on my second run? Also, what about the fights for Margaret? I remember seeing those sometime when I first played this on the PSP but I don't remember what I did to unlock them.