Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

some texas redneck posted:

:ssh: The Vibe is actually a Toyota Matrix, built by Toyota with a few GM tweaks thrown in. The steel wheels on the 06 are likely provided by Toyota, dunno about the alloys though.

I know that the Vibe and Matrix are the same vehicle, but the wheels (alloys at least) are very much a GM design.

Also, only the Vibe was manufactured at NUMMI, the Matrix was made in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Spent six hours doing a valve job on the 240d. Why so long? I scrubbed and cleaned every part that came off the little diesel, freeing them from 239,924 miles of build up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

trouser chili posted:

Spent six hours doing a valve job on the 240d. Why so long? I scrubbed and cleaned every part that came off the little diesel, freeing them from 239,924 miles of build up.

Good man.

She should have at least another 250,000 miles left in her.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
All factory chrome wheels suck. It isn't just GM.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Topped up the oil in the Peugeot.

While my mechanic was fiddling with my radio, he told me to be extremely vigilant with oil levels on the 2.2, since it just loves to burn oil. According to him, due to the way the engine is built and tuned, PCV pressure gets rather high, causing higher oil consumption, especially at high revs.

He wasn't kidding, either. It needed about a liter after 4000km (I had been keeping an eye on it, too).

At least I'm not the customer who regularly comes by to have another 3-3.5 liters of oil put in. His car was in the shop, awaiting a new engine.

At least the Peugeot recommended oil is cheap :france:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 3, 2012

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

KozmoNaut posted:

Good man.

She should have at least another 250,000 miles left in her.

Looks like I may have screwed up the valve adjustment. It's down on power now. The low end pickup is better, as well as the idle, but the top end is gone. I went too loose it seems. Oh well I tear it back down soon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PBCrunch posted:

Neither of the cars I mentioned have chrome wheels.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

PBCrunch posted:

It sure seems that way. I've read about a lot of people across all manufacturers that have trouble with flaking chrome wheels.

When I got my GTP two of the wheels got replaced under warranty for bad chrome. Unfortunately the other two weren't bad enough to warrant replacement. Sure enough within the year after the GM warranty expired the remaining wheels started shedding immense pieces of chrome.

The new wheels only had plating on the face of the wheel as opposed to the inner rim, where the chrome seems to corrode underneath. That tells me that GM knew there was a problem. It should have been a recall but thats the way it goes I guess.

Also, does anybody know if the chrome that flakes off weighs enough to put the wheel out of balance? I mean that if a few grams worth of plating falls off would that cause the ol' off balance wobble? I have to get my wheels balanced way more often than I should.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Had both the front and rear brake circuits fail on my K1500 Sunday.... It's getting all new hard and rubber lines later this week.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I changed my own oil for the first time in 32 years of existence.

Why the gently caress have I been paying people to do that for me? Saved me about $60 considering the oil and filter I chose.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

mischief posted:

I changed my own oil for the first time in 32 years of existence.

Why the gently caress have I been paying people to do that for me? Saved me about $60 considering the oil and filter I chose.

Congrats! I remember my first time, you'll be chasing that feeling the rest of your life.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

trouser chili posted:

Congrats! I remember my first time, you'll be chasing that feeling the rest of your life.

The first time is always the one you never forget. Same when you figure out how to change oil.. :rimshot:

I need to get off my rear end and change both engine oil and gearbox oil. It's only been 3100 miles on the oil, but it's also been 6 1/2 months, with most of that super short trips. I'm wanting to switch back to synthetic and try 0W30 anyway.. The gearbox oil has about 1500 miles, but I'm pretty sure they put GL-5 in it instead of GL-4 when the transaxle got swapped. You kinda have to go out of your way to find GL-4 these days, and GL-5 supposedly doesn't play nice with the synchros.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Went to get an inspection in the red beater jeep, failed for a screwed up e-brake. Balls.

Tore it apart, and after having to use a lot of choice words and a large hammer to remove the drums, discovered that the shoes were so badly worn there was almost nothing left of the friction material at the tops, all the adjusters were rusted into solid blobs of rust, and the self adjuster spring cables had rusted in half and fallen down into the bottom of the drum, where they were slowly being ground to pieces.

Fortunately I had a full set of hardware, almost brand new shoes, and almost brand new drums that had come with an axle I converted to disc brakes, so I threw all the parts on and now it'll lock up the rear wheels doing at least 10mph, I didn't try any faster.

Back to the inspection station bright and early tomorrow I guess.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Changed the master and slave clutch cylinders on my 88 Toyota 4x4. Hooray, I can shift into 1st again. I kept hearing about people having problems bleeding the system, but I just let it gravity bleed for a few minutes and was good to go.
Unfortunately I noticed that the tailpipe is about to fall off because the hangers are rusted thru. Might be time to go with a Flowmaster setup and redo it right.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Meydey posted:

Unfortunately I noticed that the tailpipe is about to fall off because the hangers are rusted thru. Might be time to go with a Flowmaster setup and redo it right.

:effort:

Coathangers and spend that money on something better. :v:

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Current coathanger count: 2

Question: The truck is now exempt from emissions in WA due to being 25 next round. (Have passed with no issues before) If I did redo the exhaust, is it worth it to pull the cat or just leave it?

Meydey fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 5, 2012

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

kastein posted:

Went to get an inspection in the red beater jeep, failed for a screwed up e-brake. Balls.

Tore it apart, and after having to use a lot of choice words and a large hammer to remove the drums, discovered that the shoes were so badly worn there was almost nothing left of the friction material at the tops, all the adjusters were rusted into solid blobs of rust, and the self adjuster spring cables had rusted in half and fallen down into the bottom of the drum, where they were slowly being ground to pieces.

Fortunately I had a full set of hardware, almost brand new shoes, and almost brand new drums that had come with an axle I converted to disc brakes, so I threw all the parts on and now it'll lock up the rear wheels doing at least 10mph, I didn't try any faster.

Back to the inspection station bright and early tomorrow I guess.

They fail you for an ebrake failure? drat, where do you live?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Where do you live that e-brakes aren't on the inspection checklist? :psyduck:

Everywhere I've seen, "all essential safety devices" = brakes (e and standard), intact windshield, seatbelts, all exterior lights, no SRS light lit on the dash, wipers, and a minimum for tire wear and wheel play.

I think he's in Michigan?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

I've never had an ebrake test done, and I've never considered it a mission critical item either. :confused:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Octopus Magic posted:

I've never had an ebrake test done, and I've never considered it a mission critical item either. :confused:

Ebrake is absolutely "mission critical" if you want your car to stay put when you park it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Ebrake is absolutely "mission critical" if you want your car to stay put when you park it.

Uhh, you put it in gear?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
:can:

For the love of god please don't go there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I always carry spare wheel chocks if my e-brake is broken and I always properly brace each wheel and turn the wheels to face away from the sidewalk and if I have the extra time I actually put the whole car on jack stands and put all the wheels inside so then it would never roll away.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

Are you this guy?

He didn't think so either, and my co-worker's SUV was the only thing that kept his car from pushing mine (and following it) down a huge hill. His wife, whom he left in the passenger's seat, was not impressed.

Now my bumper doesn't have a body-colored panel on the bottom half, burgundy's impossible to find in junkyards. :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Octopus Magic posted:

They fail you for an ebrake failure? drat, where do you live?

Massachusetts. Sometimes they forget to check, but they've checked both my jeeps I've had inspected.

I never really gave e-brakes much credit because most of the crummy domestic vehicles I've driven have more of the "emergency make your car smell funny" Mitch Hedburg e-brake, but the red XJ now has a beastly emergency brake. It literally refuses to move if the brake is properly set, even with the engine at around 2500rpm (auto trans.) The e-brake in the MJ worked 3 times including when it was inspected because it's a POS, which is why I park it in 1st gear with the wheels facing a downhill curb and carry a wheel chock.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Octopus Magic posted:

Uhh, you put it in gear?

Yeah, putting it in gear isn't going to slow the car down much on the hills around here.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Got the DSM out of retirement while the M5 is in the shop. Rolling on SWEET CHROME MOTEGIS until I'm annoyed enough to buy proper tires for the '99 GSX OZ wheels.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

bull3964 posted:

What wheel supplier does GM use because it seems like they are some of the most terrible factory wheels out there.

My factory GM wheels are made by Enkie. While not chrome they seem to be a quality wheel.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hit the wheels on the STi with some Tarminator and got rid of about 80% of the spots. Also washed it and filled in some stone chips with OEM touch-up paint. All in all, a good day to be an STi.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Washed it over lunch, then started thinking about selling it to get back into a wagon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

_firehawk posted:

My factory GM wheels are made by Enkie. While not chrome they seem to be a quality wheel.

Odd then since that's who makes Subaru wheels as well. Yet the wheels on both my parents GM vehicles corroded and have bubbling paint (with the ones on my dad's traverse doing it in under 3 years.) We live in the same climate and drive in the same road conditions.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Nait Sirhc posted:

Got the DSM out of retirement while the M5 is in the shop. Rolling on SWEET CHROME MOTEGIS until I'm annoyed enough to buy proper tires for the '99 GSX OZ wheels.

GSX's never came with OZ wheels, they came with the 10 spoke 2 piece wheels that love corroding and denting. :eng101:

The 99 anniversary GS model came with the 16" OZ wheels which were so cute and late 90s feeling.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.
After replacing the negative battery cable last night, replaced the wiring harness and associated blower motor resistor circuit so that I would have heat/AC more than just high.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Fixed my hatch area (trunk?) lighting...

Wired a pair of white cold cathode tubes into the wiring for the horribly insufficient single light bulb the car came with.

Also replaced my beater 16" wheels with severely flat-spotted all-season Kumhos with a set of 17" wheels with decent summer tires (Ventus V12 Evos) kindly donated by my little brother who sold his Focus last spring for a down payment on a MS3:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

DropShadow posted:

Washed it over lunch, then started thinking about selling it to get back into a wagon.

I was never sure why you let that beautiful wagon go to begin with. :(

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

I was never sure why you let that beautiful wagon go to begin with. :(

Me neither now.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Octopus Magic posted:

GSX's never came with OZ wheels, they came with the 10 spoke 2 piece wheels that love corroding and denting. :eng101:

The 99 anniversary GS model came with the 16" OZ wheels which were so cute and late 90s feeling.

Oops, you're right. 99 GS. These ones:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DropShadow posted:

Me neither now.

It happens to all of us:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502429

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I knew what that link was before I even clicked it.

I'm sad now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

Fixed my hatch area (trunk?) lighting...

Wired a pair of white cold cathode tubes into the wiring for the horribly insufficient single light bulb the car came with.

:allears:

I've been thinking of doing this. I have a single painfully bright LED right now, which is brighter than the old 194/168 bulb, but still bordering on useless.