Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

VJeff posted:

To be honest, it looks kinda dumb and the recolored Terezi glasses are kinda :jerkbag:, but this is pretty drat inoffensive compared to some fantrolls I've seen. And the guy seems to know what he's doing. It kinda sounds like he just wanted to give a lot of money to something he considers to be very important to him and the goofy fantroll thing is completely secondary to him, which I respect.

Quick, someone buy him an account and bring him here instead! :catstare:

I can just see all the major social forums vying to try and nab him as a member ASAP. Like some sort of goddam College football recruitment campaign. Tumblr vs. MSPA forums vs. SA vs. Reddit vs. .../co/?

Who will get to claim creative control over the most important the most expensive character in Homestuck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Crain posted:

I can just see all the major social forums vying to try and nab him as a member ASAP. Like some sort of goddam College football recruitment campaign. Tumblr vs. MSPA forums vs. SA vs. Reddit vs. .../co/?

Who will get to claim creative control over the most important the most expensive character in Homestuck?

Until goldenpalace.com wants to be the most important character in homestuck

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Crain posted:

Lebron Jedidah in....The Decision.

Scale Model Giant posted:

God Tier Reward Level 2 mentions the fantroll surviving past the first "panel," so I'm pretty sure he meant the comic. But you're right that the distinction isn't made clear.

Yeah, it says "your troll will survive past the first panel" and then it says "estimated release date, 2014" in basically the same sentence, so it's pretty confusing. Honestly, I dunno if I even want trolls to be in the game. I'd like something completely divorced from the current Homestuck cluster of universes and thus removed from all of their baggage.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
To stray away from kickstarter chat for a bit: I had a realization about the Felt after all the jujus in the flash.

Each of the felt is paired until with another member of the Felt that swaps them out. :tinfoil:

Have we ever seen a pair of paired Felt together?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Glad to see that Mac support should be an easy goal to meet. But I still want to know who's in talks before I kick in some money...

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I wish I could work up the effort to register and lobby hard for that guy to turn his troll into a jock troll with a letterman jacket and he plays five sports at the same time. His troll sign is a pile of books he just dunked out of a nerd's arms into a puddle.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I wish I could work up the effort to register and lobby hard for that guy to turn his troll into a jock troll with a letterman jacket and he plays five sports at the same time. His troll sign is a pile of books he just dunked out of a nerd's arms into a puddle.
His lusus is a sweet fukken camaro with the captain of cheerleader prom hanging out the passenger side.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Glad to see that Mac support should be an easy goal to meet. But I still want to know who's in talks before I kick in some money...

I'm glad it's so easily obtained too. Now I just hope that "$950,000.00 ???" is "Steamplay Support".

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
A Homestuck game on Steam Greenlight would improve the relative quality of Steam Greenlight's selection by about 4000%.

...how much does it cost to get on Steam without going through Greenlight anyway?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Well, it costs a $100 'donation' to Child's Play to get on Greenlight. (I think that's what I heard) So, more then that, I would guess?

I can't decide whether a horrifically terrible fantroll we could all mock, or a reasonable design would be better to root for canonization. Right now I'm leaning towards the mockable one.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Saradiart posted:

Each of the felt is paired until with another member of the Felt that swaps them out. :tinfoil:

I don't think we saw them in the same panel, but I'm pretty sure they were all active at the same time. Without having the post of who matches with who handy I couldn't say for sure.

Though it's very possible the Felt were the result of Cherub/Carapace Ectobiology...

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

AriadneThread posted:

Well, it costs a $100 'donation' to Child's Play to get on Greenlight. (I think that's what I heard) So, more then that, I would guess?

Not that I know of. In fact, with the amount of trollish uploads, scams and straight up "My Upload Is A Forums Post Talking Point About How Much This Service Sucks" uploads as well, there is no way in hell Greenlight charges anything at all.

e: Oops, as people below posted there is indeed a recent fee for the service.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 7, 2012

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

KazigluBey posted:

Not that I know of. In fact, with the amount of trollish uploads, scams and straight up "My Upload Is A Forums Post Talking Point About How Much This Service Sucks" uploads as well, there is no way in hell Greenlight charges anything at all.

It's a recent change in an attempt to cull that.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

KazigluBey posted:

It's a $100, one time, listing fee. Nothing else. And the $100 goes to Childs Play. It's all to just keep what you described out. Once you're in there's no charges.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Saradiart posted:

To stray away from kickstarter chat for a bit: I had a realization about the Felt after all the jujus in the flash.

My working theory, until/unless we get further information, is that they're the result of an attempt to make carapeople more cherubic. (Like the Condesce's attempts to make humanity more troll-like, except reasonably successful.)

Maybe LE just feels lonely. :smith:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

pumpinglemma posted:

Linux users on average seem to be willing to chip a lot more money into this sort of thing than Windows users - probably because our operating system normally has a pretty poor game selection. (In particular I'm thinking of the average donations by operating system to the various Humble Indie Bundles.) I suspect it'll pay for itself in donations, and if it doesn't it'll certainly pay for itself in sales.

Also, once you've gotten all the way around to make your game Win/Mac multiplatform, you can as well add Linux. Modern MacOS is based on BSD, so most of the Linux code will be shared with the Mac code. (In particular, a MacOS port means you're going to be using OpenGL instead of or in addition to DirectX, since you won't have DirectX on Macs.)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Saradiart posted:

I actually just attempted to trace through this, but then all the time nonsense happened and I just went "NOPE" and gave up. Especially since Trace is in the future and Fin is in the past and Eggs straight up time travels and aaghhhhhhhhh

For anyone curious, here are the Felt pairings based on Quarter's quarters:

Itchy(1)/Matchsticks(11), Doze(2)/Eggs(12), Trace(3)/Biscuits(13), Clover(4)/Quarters(14), Fin(5)/Cans(15), Die(6)/Stitch(9), and Crowbar(7)/Sawbuck(10). (oh and snowman(8)/snowman(8), but she totally doesn't count)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Saradiart posted:

Sort of? It's when Spades Slick warps to the timeline where Crowbar didn't die, but it has Crowbar, Die, and Sawbuck.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Cat Mattress posted:

Also, once you've gotten all the way around to make your game Win/Mac multiplatform, you can as well add Linux. Modern MacOS is based on BSD, so most of the Linux code will be shared with the Mac code. (In particular, a MacOS port means you're going to be using OpenGL instead of or in addition to DirectX, since you won't have DirectX on Macs.)

Something that a friend of mine brought up, along this line of thought: is it just me or is there a market not being considered here? So far there's been no mention of mobile support. I feel like a stretch goal for iOS support might be a more appropriate draw than Linux.

Granted I have no idea if the game Hussie has in mind would be even capable of running on a mobile device, but he did specifically mention the possibility of mobile support, and the mobile market is huge these days. Its worth considering.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Hey.

Hey guys.

How many backers does the kickstarter have now.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Hey.

Hey guys.

How many backers does the kickstarter have now.
It's hard to pin because it keeps jumping up so fast! At best, maybe we can just say it's over a given value...

Also, given the fact that the pool has an irregular $4 as its last digit, this pretty much guarantees at least 2 different people have donated $612, right? That's a lot of money for a joke @_@

snucks fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 7, 2012

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

And nah, I doubt $612. More like several people have pledged $413.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

snucks posted:

Also, given the fact that the pool has an irregular $4 as its last digit, this pretty much guarantees at least 2 different people have donated $612, right? That's a lot of money for a joke @_@

Not really, no. It could just as easily mean 8 people donated $413. Or 4 people donated $413 and one person donated $612. Or really any combination of any numbers that results in the last digit being 4.

That's an interesting thing to wonder about though: How many people donated $413, $612, or even $1025?

(I gave $413 so there's at least one.)

e:f,b

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I imagine a significant number of people in the $405 tier gave $413. I know I just couldn't resist.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Regy Rusty posted:

I imagine a significant number of people in the $405 tier gave $413. I know I just couldn't resist.

I might've if I'd gone for the 405 pack. I just got a snoutpack though, and there's no funny joke close enough to $255. :(

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

This is exactly what I did. When you're already giving $405, what's another $8 to complete the joke?

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I just read it all in two weeks. I loved it! Wish I had the cash for the adorable dragon plushies.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
By the sounds of it, there might be more available down the road, possibly at less obscene prices.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Just disappointed that the only scalemates are Pyralspite and Senator Lemonsnout. I wanted an Inspector Berrybreath or Doctor Honeytongue :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Just disappointed that the only scalemates are Pyralspite and Senator Lemonsnout. I wanted an Inspector Berrybreath or Doctor Honeytongue :(

I think there's a reasonable chance that What Pumpkin will eventually sell these and expand their product line.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I think there's a reasonable chance that What Pumpkin will eventually sell these and expand their product line.

Considering the response for plushies so far, yeah, they'd be foolish not to. /capitalism

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

CidGregor posted:

Considering the response for plushies so far, yeah, they'd be foolish not to. /capitalism

Isn't the problem with the scalemates that they're too complex to mass-produce cheaply, requiring a much larger initial investment to make and sell?

I'd really, really like to see scalemate plusies in the WhatPumpkin store eventually, though, since I don't have a spare $400 lying around.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay, bored of ks chatter and now craving another update. :(
I need it!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This kickstarter is getting Homestuck more attention. Wired is now trying to figure out wtf it is:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/09/homestuck-kickstarter/

Well Manicured Man posted:

Isn't the problem with the scalemates that they're too complex to mass-produce cheaply, requiring a much larger initial investment to make and sell?

I'd really, really like to see scalemate plusies in the WhatPumpkin store eventually, though, since I don't have a spare $400 lying around.

Well, I mean, they're somehow making at least a 1000 of them just for this kickstarter, so I doubt it's still just one gal making them. Hopefully they have a system down.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Well Manicured Man posted:

I'd like that as well, but I also don't want the people who invested in the Snoutpak just for a scalemate to feel like they spent too much when Senator Lemonsnout appears on the WP store for $25 plus shipping.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CidGregor posted:

Our free market economy is strong. :911:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I'd like that as well, but I also don't want the people who invested in the Snoutpak just for a scalemate to feel like they spent too much when Senator Lemonsnout appears on the WP store for $25 plus shipping.

You're not paying $200/$400 for a stuffed toy. You're paying Andrew Hussie $200/$400 as a supporter for a game, and he's giving you a stuffed toy as thanks. There is a difference.

Unless someone's an entitled rear end in a top hat, there's no reason for anyone to feel "ripped off" when/if scalemates get put in the store eventually for more reasonable prices because if that was the entire reason you paid the money in the first place then you're kind of an idiot to begin with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Unless someone's an entitled rear end in a top hat...

Hello and welcome to the internet. You must be new here.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Apparently Hussie is going to break up the three walkabouts with some updates in-between so we don't have to wait ages between updates. Which will be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

They could make smaller or different ones, and leave those as a limited edition, I guess.