Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

Spug posted:

I'm looking for a movie that I think was named something like "Last Days on Earth", and the DVD cover has a horizon with a huge Saturn-like planet rising (and maybe a bald dude in a suit standing on a shore). I thought this would be enough to google it, but apparently not.

The movie is post-apocalyptic – all humans in the world suddenly disappear/die in an instant, except for the people who actually died just in that instant. The main character is a bald dude who commited suicide just then. He rounds up a few other survivors and finds out why all the humans died and somehow he was involved in it (he's a scientist or something).

The Quiet Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
This is a horror movie. It is somewhat self-aware, but not too much, takes place in a wood, mostly. People are not teenagers but a bit older. When they explore the house, the bearded guy discovers an empty swimming pool and hops up and down on its spring board, enjoying himself. In the next scene he is entering the house all dusty, obviously having fallen into the pool. In another scene someone tests a rocket launcher and the missile accidentally hits a passenger plane. I think the people are members of an arms factory or something. The overall tone is rather light. Thanks.

\/ Thanks! That was fast!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 4, 2012

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Severence

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
It was probably around 1997 or so when I saw this Masterpiece Theatre movie on PBS.

The is about a wild young woman in England I believe. She has various men she shacks up with for a while. One is in some rich person's house where some Fabio type bangs her on the stairs, and they nearly get caught. Another is a guy that comes across some money that he squanders with her. They depart by jumping out the window after giving an enthusiastic kiss good bye as debtors (I assume) were coming into the house.

The last guy is some nice young man that wants to make her his wife and take her back to his plantation in America. She goes with him and they bang in a rocky boat on stormy seas.

They arrive in America, she meets the mother-in-law, and they have a couple kids. One night she is up with her mother-in-law, when her mother-in-law describes her past in England. She realizes that sounds exactly like her own long lost mother's story and that this woman is actually her mother; making her husband her brother. Reviled, she discontinues sex.

After a while this makes her husband crazy who then pulls a gun on her. She admits to what has been bothering her and they part ways.

That is all that I remember. The movie was on in the evening and had naked breasts, which I thought was odd for PBS.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 6, 2012

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Moll Flanders

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Thank you. I had read a description of Moll Flanders in the past, but it didn't look like the movie I was thinking of. I didn't know it was actually a two part film and I had only seen the first part.

Nice turn around time as well.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Okay my google fu is failing me. I skimmed an article the other day, most likely on aint it cool or in a friend's entertainment weekly, where I think Stephen King (but possibly just a columnist) recommended a movie. He said it is available on itunes now and due on dvd this month. It was about a woman, and the movie just follows her life (possibly with mounting dread waiting for something to happen), and eventually her dog goes missing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

bagrada posted:

Okay my google fu is failing me. I skimmed an article the other day, most likely on aint it cool or in a friend's entertainment weekly, where I think Stephen King (but possibly just a columnist) recommended a movie. He said it is available on itunes now and due on dvd this month. It was about a woman, and the movie just follows her life (possibly with mounting dread waiting for something to happen), and eventually her dog goes missing.

This sounds like the plot for Wendy and Lucy, but that's not a recent release.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

morestuff posted:

This sounds like the plot for Wendy and Lucy, but that's not a recent release.

Yeah I've seen Wendy and Lucy, I got the impression this one was more of a slow burn horror/suspense movie. Thanks though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

bagrada posted:

Yeah I've seen Wendy and Lucy, I got the impression this one was more of a slow burn horror/suspense movie. Thanks though.

Entrance.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I have no idea when this movie is from or what it is about, but I do know at one point a black guy dressed in all white is in a desert with an uzi and shoots a cardboard cut out of Reagan. I'd like to know the movie so I can appreciate that scene in context.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Pretty sure that happened in Lord of War, with Nic Cage as a gun runner.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Origami Dali posted:

Yep, it's Reagan because that part of the film takes place during the 80s.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

That's it, thanks, was bugging me that I couldn't remember.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I just randomly remembered some movie, it's based around getting some rare old bottle of wine, and at the end it turns out the main character actually has a bunch of money so he buys it at auction, and then he starts opening it in the final scene and the female lead is like 'But old wines basically turn to vinegar' and he says something like they'll either have a really great drink or a great salad. I think it would have come out sometime in the 80's/early 90's (so it's NOT Sideways).

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

morestuff posted:

It's not a train, but apparently Thick As Thieves is a thriller that ends with Morgan Freeman making a dramatic phone call from a tarmac. I had never heard of this movie.

Its a really cool movie!

Edit: I thought you meant this movie! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147599/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqHd6L9-tOY

Dudes! fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 7, 2012

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I just randomly remembered some movie, it's based around getting some rare old bottle of wine, and at the end it turns out the main character actually has a bunch of money so he buys it at auction, and then he starts opening it in the final scene and the female lead is like 'But old wines basically turn to vinegar' and he says something like they'll either have a really great drink or a great salad. I think it would have come out sometime in the 80's/early 90's (so it's NOT Sideways).

Year of the Comet.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

computer parts posted:

Yep, it's Reagan because that part of the film takes place during the 80s.

Thanks! I'll check this out.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

The ironic thing is, I had this page open when trying to recall the film before I came here, and I think that Year of the Comet was the one film I didn't click on. "Year of the Comet? What do comets have to do with wine?"

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

this was a trailer that i saw for a film that either recently came out, or hasn't come out yet. i'm pretty sure i saw the trailer sometime this past year.
it's an independent film. i found the trailer because vince at filmdrunk posted the movie posters in one of his week in review posts. the film poster was intriguing and made me look into it. i believe it was of a girl (teenager) dressed in white dress, with possibly a white painted face, sitting on a chair, or maybe a thrown, and there was blood up her arms or on the bottom of the dress. very artsy looking, though. not just typical horror movie thing. might have been stitches involved. like stitched up body or something.
the trailer involved some teenager that was possibly dying (she was very pale and gaunt looking), and wanted to lose her virginity or something, but also had some sort of fascination with the dead, or surgery/autopsies, and a dash of what looked like necrophilia in it. she was definitely a morbid person. and part of the trailer was about her family's concern for her - that she's not right in the head - obviously. i do not believe anyone famous was in it.
i went back through the archives on filmdrunk to see if i could find the poster, but couldn't.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I think it was Excision if I'm remembering the name correctly.

edit: Yup http://excisionmovie.com/

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

anticake posted:

I think it was Excision if I'm remembering the name correctly.

edit: Yup http://excisionmovie.com/

YES! thank you

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I saw the first half of this film on television a few years ago before I had to leave.

It's one of those films that goes between stories of different people that all intertwine somehow. The only story I remember clearly is one about a woman who runs some kind of storage centre with her husband, and it's in one of the storage units where she discovers her husband might be a serial killer.

Also, I thought Clea Duvall was in it as the person who finds the body of one of the victims but looking at her IMDB I think I'm confusing her with someone else. Regardless, pretty sure it was a film within the past decade and features a lot of modern character actors who star in a bunch of stuff but are never the leads.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
That's it, thank you! How the hell I mixed up Clea Duvall with Toni Collette I have no idea.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 10, 2012

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

kuddles posted:

I saw the first half of this film on television a few years ago before I had to leave.

It's one of those films that goes between stories of different people that all intertwine somehow. The only story I remember clearly is one about a woman who runs some kind of storage centre with her husband, and it's in one of the storage units where she discovers her husband might be a serial killer.

Also, I thought Clea Duvall was in it as the person who finds the body of one of the victims but looking at her IMDB I think I'm confusing her with someone else. Regardless, pretty sure it was a film within the past decade and features a lot of modern character actors who star in a bunch of stuff but are never the leads.

The Dead Girl.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was taken to see this movie in the mid 90s at a film festival in San Francisco (The Kabuki theater if that matters). It took place maybe in 1950s or 60s and was about a black family. I remember the dad was a cop and a homophobe. There was some murder and his son was the prime suspect and there was something to do with the father being embarrassed about the son being gay.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Okay, this is a long shot.

When I was around 8/9, in the late 90s, I remember watching a late night French film on Channel 4 (UK). Essentially, a man had a flat that he was renting out. I remember he took in one young man, and maybe at another point, he took in a young woman? They ended up having a lot of sex, and I think I remember a trip to the beach at one point.

The overall feel of the film was dark, and somewhat surreal. It had that same grainy texture as something like The City of Lost Children. Needless to say, the French and sex sparked something off in my pre-teen brain and I'd love to figure what the film actually was.

I gave you basically nothing there, but I've had this random film on my mind for a few days and hope there's some genius out there who knows a thing or two about French films.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Convexed posted:

Okay, this is a long shot.

When I was around 8/9, in the late 90s, I remember watching a late night French film on Channel 4 (UK). Essentially, a man had a flat that he was renting out. I remember he took in one young man, and maybe at another point, he took in a young woman? They ended up having a lot of sex, and I think I remember a trip to the beach at one point.

The overall feel of the film was dark, and somewhat surreal. It had that same grainy texture as something like The City of Lost Children. Needless to say, the French and sex sparked something off in my pre-teen brain and I'd love to figure what the film actually was.

I gave you basically nothing there, but I've had this random film on my mind for a few days and hope there's some genius out there who knows a thing or two about French films.

Is it Delicatessen (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101700/)? It's by the guy who did City of Lost Children, and it's about a man who buys an apartment in an apocalyptic future where cannibalism is a somewhat normal thing. He meets a girl at the building, and there's a scene where 2 people have sex (not the man and girl) and the rest of the apartment complex perform their activities in rhythm with the sex noises.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Mu Zeta posted:

I was taken to see this movie in the mid 90s at a film festival in San Francisco (The Kabuki theater if that matters). It took place maybe in 1950s or 60s and was about a black family. I remember the dad was a cop and a homophobe. There was some murder and his son was the prime suspect and there was something to do with the father being embarrassed about the son being gay.

Blind Faith.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks that's it! Doesn't appear to be any way to watch it though. No DVD release and no Netflix :( That movie haunted me when I was a kid.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mu Zeta posted:

Thanks that's it! Doesn't appear to be any way to watch it though. No DVD release and no Netflix :( That movie haunted me when I was a kid.

Used VHS tapes seem to be available.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
I remember seeing one a couple years back, on DVD I think.

It's an old sci-fi, possibly from the 60s (definitely old-school effects). The plot is that a number of spaceships are holding the last natural greenhouses from Earth. Current humanity has decided these aren't needed any more, so the crew are ordered to jettison and destroy them.

One hippy crew-member doesn't like this, so he slowly kills off everyone else on board, then spends the final half of the film on his own, teaching some robots to be like people.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

I remember seeing one a couple years back, on DVD I think.

It's an old sci-fi, possibly from the 60s (definitely old-school effects). The plot is that a number of spaceships are holding the last natural greenhouses from Earth. Current humanity has decided these aren't needed any more, so the crew are ordered to jettison and destroy them.

One hippy crew-member doesn't like this, so he slowly kills off everyone else on board, then spends the final half of the film on his own, teaching some robots to be like people.
Silent Running.

vvv :kamina: vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 15, 2012

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

Runcible Cat posted:

Silent Running.

Just the one! Four minutes, that's impressive.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
Saw part of this movie on tv at home, probably 20 years ago if not more.
It's a sci-fi, I'm fairly certain of that at least. Evil guy has a machine that figures out the worst nightmare of whoever is lying on it and then exposes them to it. I remember one guy who was put on it and his greatest fear was of ants, so he gets covered in ants and they may or may not start eating him, not sure.

Another one. This might be a swedish movie, not sure. Plants are intelligent, or at least evil, and are trying to kill off mankind. Also from approx. 20 years ago. That's all I got.

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.

Noia posted:

Another one. This might be a swedish movie, not sure. Plants are intelligent, or at least evil, and are trying to kill off mankind. Also from approx. 20 years ago. That's all I got.

This might be The Day of the Triffids
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055894/

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Noia posted:

Saw part of this movie on tv at home, probably 20 years ago if not more.
It's a sci-fi, I'm fairly certain of that at least. Evil guy has a machine that figures out the worst nightmare of whoever is lying on it and then exposes them to it. I remember one guy who was put on it and his greatest fear was of ants, so he gets covered in ants and they may or may not start eating him, not sure.

Thread favorite Solarbabies?

I have the best taste in this whole damn place

Glass Joe posted:

Thread favorite Solarbabies?

Thats definitely it, thanks a bunch :)

Not entirely sure if it's this one, but will check it out. Thank you :)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Phase IV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.
This may be a dream or something, but I seem to remember seeing it as a film because it was so vivid and now it's bugging me.

Okay, so Earth gets invaded and curbstomped by a jellyfish-like alien species in modern-ish times. (It's not War of the Worlds) So then, after a brief war, Earth finally surrenders to this alien menace. The alien overlord announces that he is there to destroy the species of the mighty boomstick (named because the aliens never invented gunpowder) for killing their scouts in what one side (I really can't remember if it was humans or aliens that called it as such) called something like "The First Morning War". The overlord announces that because Earth had not created a species-changing technology, they would be killed one-by-one. Suddenly, a scientist steps up and reveals a wormhole-creating device that can transport the entire Earth through. I seem to remember this piece of dialogue:

Alien overlord: I can conquer galaxies with this.
Scientist: [sheepishlu] So you'll let us live?
Alien overlord: Mmm, no!

Cue montage of overlord pulling up humans one at a time and killing them in unique ways.

If anyone's ever heard about it, that'd be cool to know about.